Not everyone thinks the Bills will lose Sunday

HOUSE

6 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

For the first meeting,  49% of experts picked the Pats.  Those 49% were right.      

https://nflpickwatch.com/nfl/picks/su/experts/2021/13

So why is it a surprise more experts now are picking the Pats?

Optimism. Sarcasm. Irony.  That's why it's surprising.

I guess I should just be so literal and dull that anyone who's negative on the boards can revel in their echo chamber

I mean, I'm not sure if anyone has been paying much attention to the coverage - but the Pats are the consensus pick.

The Bills are such an afterthought now. The narrative is 100% 'last year was their shot,' and the mighty Belichick has completed a rebuild in record time and will win division titles and SB's as far as the eye can see.

In short, we're right back to where I'm most comfortable.  Everyone writing us off, 6 losses already, going into a game against a team that owned us for 2 decades, at their place.   Where else would you rather be?

I'd rather shock the world than attend a coronation.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Hermes said:

Optimism. Sarcasm. Irony.  That's why it's surprising.

I guess I should just be so literal and dull that anyone who's negative on the boards can revel in their echo chamber

Don't confuse negativity with realism.   Some folks here are consistently negative for sure.  But other people can see matchup problems when they exist and hence tend to correctly identify likely outcomes.

If they can stop the run then the Bills win. Plain & simple. I don't see Mac Jones beating this secondary. They know the season is on the line.

Buffalo needs to open up the offense and let Allen do what he does best. Sprinkle in some decent runs/screens with Singletary and you've got a recipe for success. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Hermes said:

The big surprise is that there's actually experts picking the Pats!

We must be using "expert" very loosely.  I looked through all of the picks and a majority are from random people at fan sites like TBD (for example, "Dawgs", "Pride of Detroit", "Canal Street Chronicles" and "Acme Packing Company").

• Haha (+1) 1

As long as the Bills keep passing the ball and trusting Josh, they'll win. If they try and repeatedly force the run, it'll end up like the last game vs. NE. I think they'll trust Josh this time. Singletary can be effective too, but don't get too conservative based on weather. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

For the first meeting,  49% of experts picked the Pats.  Those 49% were right.      

https://nflpickwatch.com/nfl/picks/su/experts/2021/13

So why is it a surprise more experts now are picking the Pats?

You know, cmon you know. Right? You can’t actually be asking that question for real?  The wind is the only reason they won. There will be no wind, do the math. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Don't confuse negativity with realism.   Some folks here are consistently negative for sure.  But other people can see matchup problems when they exist and hence tend to correctly identify likely outcomes.

Last time they played the Bills lost a nail biter in which they had an opportunity to win at the end. Not saying anything about the weather.

As for matchups the Pats rushing offense is a plus for them and the Bills passing defense is a plus for the Bills, even without Tre.  The Bills passing offense is a plus for the Bills and the Pats rushing Defense is a plus for the Pats. Overall it shapes up to be an even matchup with the Bills probably edging out the Pats in terms of overall talent while the Pats have the edge in coaching.

So while I can see where you're coming from, the matchups aren't as abysmal as all of the 'realists' say they are. It's one thing to look objectively at things but to look only at how the Bills matchup negatively and determine they'll lose based solely on a few metrics is pessimistic to be honest. (From a fans perspective, the media who don't follow the team are irrelevant) 

I'm expecting a tight game for the most part with the Bills coming out on top. Also, based on the teams' strengths and weaknesses, I'd be much less surprised if the Bills blowout the Pats than the other way around.

1 hour ago, Success said:

I mean, I'm not sure if anyone has been paying much attention to the coverage - but the Pats are the consensus pick.

The Bills are such an afterthought now. The narrative is 100% 'last year was their shot,' and the mighty Belichick has completed a rebuild in record time and will win division titles and SB's as far as the eye can see.

In short, we're right back to where I'm most comfortable.  Everyone writing us off, 6 losses already, going into a game against a team that owned us for 2 decades, at their place.   Where else would you rather be?

It is so hard to Billieve though, that with Hughes, Star, Addison, Sanders and others coming off the books, we don't have a huge sum to rebuild with this offseason. It's mystifying to me.... So depressing....

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

This contest  will come down to Daboll and McD calling a game that allows Josh Allen and the Bills offense to go win it for them. Conservative won’t get it done. 

I think Leslie Frazier will need to come up with an effective plan to stop the N.E. running game also!

2 hours ago, Success said:

IF we keep losing, we'll really be where you're most comfortable

3 hours ago, Patience said:

The NFL will do everything it can to assure the Patriots win.  

yep, all the owners that make up the NFL will do whatever they can to assure a Patriots victory. That makes a lot of sense.

10 minutes ago, klos63 said:

yep, all the owners that make up the NFL will do whatever they can to assure a Patriots victory. That makes a lot of sense.

If you really think the NFL doesn't play a role in giving overtly preferential treatment to certain teams, particularly after the way the Tampa game unfolded, then you're incredibly oblivious.  Your post leads me to believe that you are.  

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

If they can stop the run then the Bills win. Plain & simple. I don't see Mac Jones beating this secondary. They know the season is on the line.

Buffalo needs to open up the offense and let Allen do what he does best. Sprinkle in some decent runs/screens with Singletary and you've got a recipe for success. 

But that's just it - "if they can stop the run..."  The team hasn't really been able to stop the run against teams with winning records.  So as much as I want to believe the Bills will win, what would be different about this week v. the other five weeks that they lost to winning teams?  Go Bills.  

1 hour ago, chaccof said:

But that's just it - "if they can stop the run..."  The team hasn't really been able to stop the run against teams with winning records.  So as much as I want to believe the Bills will win, what would be different about this week v. the other five weeks that they lost to winning teams?  Go Bills.  

That's my point. IF they can stop the run. It's not a given. Maybe the added pressure of the games importance will be the difference. 

2 hours ago, Patience said:

If you really think the NFL doesn't play a role in giving overtly preferential treatment to certain teams, particularly after the way the Tampa game unfolded, then you're incredibly oblivious.  Your post leads me to believe that you are.  

You thinking that the other 31 owners would prefer other teams in the Super Bowl says more about you than it does me. Typical Buffalo, 'the world is against us' whining.

Just like the Pro Bowl, why doesn't everyone know how great all the players on the 2nd place , 7-6 football team are and if all the players I like aren't voted on, it's a conspiracy.

Do you really think the NFL tells the refs to favor certain teams and that all the other owners are in on it? Because the owners are the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

13 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

I’m surprised Vegas has this game so close. Belichick, at home, Brady 2.0, and the NFLs best defense, along with a superior O-line. Weak spread. It’s almost like the odds makers are doubting their eyes. 

Is it my homer ears or are commentators much more eager to say the Pats* have the best defense than they were to say the Bills had, even though they Bills led in terms of both points and yards? The media overall really really wants to push the Pats and downplay the Bills. What is that all about? Could it be as simple as their winning streak, and the Bills' up and down season? Maybe they're just reflecting fan energy. Diehard fan though I am, my enthusiasm certainly takes a dive when they lose. And they've been a rollercoaster ride all year. Same with the Pro Bowl voting. Do the Colts really have that many blue-chip player than the Bills? 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Hermes said:

So while I can see where you're coming from, the matchups aren't as abysmal as all of the 'realists' say they are. It's one thing to look objectively at things but to look only at how the Bills matchup negatively and determine they'll lose based solely on a few metrics is pessimistic to be honest. (From a fans perspective, the media who don't follow the team are irrelevant) 

Not so sure.

They're better equipped to stop our passing attack than we are to stop their running attack.  

But "on any giving Sunday..."   

If early on I see the Pats running game getting plugged up and Josh finding receivers downfield (and getting the pass off before getting hit), I'll feel really good about our chances.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

15 hours ago, prissythecat said:

A majority of experts are picking the Pats to win.

https://nflpickwatch.com/

Not everyone on this lists are “experts.”  Many of them are fans just like us with a blog.  

Second, the ratio is 54-46.  Nearly 50/50.

Third, the Bills were slightly favored on pickwatch in the first matchup.  How’d that work out. 

12 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

It is so hard to Billieve though, that with Hughes, Star, Addison, Sanders and others coming off the books, we don't have a huge sum to rebuild with this offseason. It's mystifying to me.... So depressing....

They can also make more space by getting out of contracts

8 hours ago, klos63 said:

You thinking that the other 31 owners would prefer other teams in the Super Bowl says more about you than it does me. Typical Buffalo, 'the world is against us' whining.

Just like the Pro Bowl, why doesn't everyone know how great all the players on the 2nd place , 7-6 football team are and if all the players I like aren't voted on, it's a conspiracy.

Do you really think the NFL tells the refs to favor certain teams and that all the other owners are in on it? Because the owners are the NFL.

To some extent, yes, I do.  The owners are in the entertainment business.  That is the service the NFL provides to its customers.  Entertainment.  It's good for the NFL, and the owners collectively, both financially and for the health of the league, to have as many eyeballs as possible watching.  The way to do that is to provide attractive storylines, something ESPN and other networks help promote.  TV contracts are far and away the primary source of revenue for the league; it stands to reason the NFL and the owners collectively would want to assure that the networks' investment is protected when it comes time to renew.  A pattern of worsening ratings gives the league a lesser advantage when it comes time to negotiate, which hurts the league and owners where it counts.  If you want to call that whining, so be it.  It's business. Your blinders just preclude you from grasping it.  

Personally, why do I keep watching?  Well, it's entertaining.  But I don't really view it as something tangibly different than a movie, a television show, or any other type of entertainment.  It's a good bit of fun for a few hours - granted, maybe not so much during the dark depths of the drought years.  And it gives me a good reason to spend time with my family every weekend during the season - that's the only justification I need.  

Edited by Patience
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.