Is this finally the year we make a big push for offense?

whorlnut

More on Rashaad Penny, who will be a FA this offseason: was a first round pick, has a career ypc of 5.1 on 204 carries, catches passes thrown to him 76 percent of the time, and has just one fumble (0.49 percent fumble rate). Not many tracks on his treads either, and he'll just be 26. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PennRa00.htm

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If you dont then what is the point?  Also Cool.  So we are the Marvin Lewis led Bengals

Not expecting it every season is called sane realism. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Depends on how FA shakes out, but id like them to use FA money on linemen (offense and defense).  They don't project to have a ton of cap space, and i don't know who they can use to lower cap hits - but they're usually players in your long term plans so id say Diggs, Milano, Dawkins.  

Holes - Interior Oline, CB2, MLB (need a plan here), RB, WR depth, Pass rush.  

How much predicted cap space are you seeing?

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

What about Rashard Penny? https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/14/pete-carroll-rashaad-penny-deserves-a-shot-to-show-he-can-be-a-starter/

He's going to be FA this offseason and clearly has talent (he was a first round pick). He has been a disappointment in Seattle, but maybe a change of scenery will get him going?

I’m looking for a RB that’s good in the passing game as well, blocking and receiving.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

No high picks on RB's...our RBs will be fine with better blocking. Even with trash blocking, Singletary is averaging over 5 YPC for his career and 4.9 YPC this year.

Agreed!!  I was looking at some rushing stats and for as much and some think Motor isn't and can't be the answer I fully believe his lack of overall production (total yards and TDs) is due to the dumb rotation Daboll uses.   Motor out played Moss all season yet they consistently gave Moss more snaps and carries each week until recently.

In yards per carry Motor is 9th - take out Allen, Jackson and Hurts he's 6th but only has 112 carries. The top 10 in rushing yards have on average carried the ball 204 times so far this season.  If he had 204 carries he's got 996 yards which would place him 3rd behind Taylor, Mixon and ahead of Cook.   On times stuffed per carry he's 13th - he's only been stuffed 8 times on 112 carries.  In yards per carry in the 2nd half of games he's 7th.  Yards per carry in the 4th quarter he's 4th.  On his first 10 carries of a game he has the 11th.  He has no fumbles inside the Bills or the opponents 20 yard line.

They talked about going with the hot hand at RB yet for some unknown reason they gave Moss the bulk of the work instead of the more productive back.

Motor has been doing this behind a less than stellar and at times banged up O-line.  If they had a couple of true road graders who run block consistently and effectively plus actually gave him the rock regularly I don't think anyone would be talking about RB being a need.   They should relegate Moss on the bench, feature Singletary and spell him with Breida they rest of the season.

Edited by FlaFitz1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Nope.

We will draft nothing but undersized defensive lineman who are slow and hear the clowns in the FO say how they are confident in what we have.

What’s happening here in Buffalo to Josh is worst than Green Bay lack of support for years with Rodgers.

Edited by McBean
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, McBean said:

Nope.

We will draft nothing but undersized defensive lineman who are slow and hear the clowns in the FO say how they are confident in what we have.

What’s happening here in Buffalo to Josh is worst than Green Bay lack of support for years with Rodgers.

I'll be highly surprised if this happens. I think there will be a concerted effort to redress deficiencies on offense. They've got to know they miscalculated on the oline and that they are wasting productive years of a franchise qb otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I just don’t see tres injury as a reason for it. It has everything to do with Levi and Dane.  Even Neal (if they bring him back or Cam Lewis).  If they are back and they have confidence in them, there’s no need for another corner, especially considering the other holes we have.  

if Levi is out the door or if Dane looks meh the rest of the year, I hope we draft one in the first 3 rds.

I agree. We have enough serviceable dbs to surround Tre. We don't have the luxury to go defense other than Star's replacement. All OL please.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Go Buy me two OGs like Conner Williams and Brandon Schreff (I could settle with one OG Bought and the other Drafted)

after that Buy me a Center like Bradley Bozeman

From there you can do whatever you want in the draft.

Interestingly, Wyatt Teller is an UFA in 2022...maybe Josh can convince him to return.

Personally, I think the #1 priority on the O-line should be C, not G.  There's only 1 top C available in the draft, and he'll most likely go before 20.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think a lot depends on Levi and Dane.  I could see us grabbing a cb in the first 3 rds if we let Levi go in FA because his price tag is too high and Dane play the rest of the season is underwhelming.

other than that: we need a legit 1 tech.  We will likely need another DE.  We might have to draft Tremaines replacement (but more than likely the following year).  

I really hope offense is the focus, but could see is putting band aids on the offensive wounds like we did this pas offseason.  Only so many resources to go around.  

You have one of the best players in the league at QB he needs help you can’t keep using him as the Texas version of Vince Young 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

nope.  Bean and McD are making us into the Marvin Lewis Bengals.  Mediocracy is now success. 

Did Marvin Lewis ever make it out of the first round of the playoffs? Lol that’s what he was fired for.  McDermott made it to the afc championship game in what…year 4?

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

The problems with the OL are blindingly obvious.   This offseason there won't be any misguided talk about continuity making the OL better.  We need better players and there's no question both McD and Beane understand this.

It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Agree. No doubt that the OL gets addressed this off season, especially guard and center. Josh Allen is a hair slower on his reads and needs that extra second in the pocket. Give him his amount of time and he will light it up. If he is pressured, he makes some some bad throws and gets happy feet. A lot of the pressure comes up the middle. Fixing this is priority #1. 

• Agree 1

1.  Release Morse, Hughes, Addison.  That saves you a lot of $$.  Put Feliciano at C and get 2 guards either through FA or through the draft.  Would need to look at contracts but maybe Williams as well if it gives us cap space.  If not he becomes the swing T.

2.  Figure out in the offseason if Dawkins is going to get over his battle with Covid.  If he can't then you either draft a new LT in Round 1 and move the G to round 2, or move Brown over to LT and warm up Doyle for RT.  

3.  Get a bigger back lower in the draft, or finally give our rugby player a true shot.  Keep Singletary and Williams and get rid of Breida and Moss.  

4.  Let Sanders move on, Davis becomes the #2, Beasley the slot guy , and Stephenson becomes the downfield threat.  McKensie is gone after the nonsense this year.  

5.  Draft the big tub of goo I wanted them to draft last year, and let Star walk.  Keep Zimmer, Harry and Oliver and the big tub of goo I draft on the inside, put Basham,  Epenesa, Rousseau at DE and consider a big splash for a pass rusher as a FA.  

6.  Draft CBs down in the lower rounds.  I think Jackson and Wallace hold down the fort till Tre is back.    

The primary goal has to be upgrading the O line.

Part ways with Butler and Addison.  

Bring back Hughes on a reduced salary, if he's willing.  

Re-sign Levi Wallace and Harrison Phillips.

Draft a 1 tech in the 4th Round. 

Everything else goes to Offense. 

Allen, Singletary, Diggs, Beasley, Davis, Stevenson, Brown, Dawkins, Knox..  Everyone else is upgradeable. 

I'd be inclined to keep Morse for another year if we can get two stud Guards next to him.   Darryl Williams could potentially be a trade piece.  Cut Feliciano.

1 hour ago, FlaFitz1 said:

Agreed!!  I was looking at some rushing stats and for as much and some think Motor isn't and can't be the answer I fully believe his lack of overall production (total yards and TDs) is due to the dumb rotation Daboll uses.   Motor out played Moss all season yet they consistently gave Moss more snaps and carries each week until recently.

You gave some great info in your post here. I hear all the time on how we need to get a top tier rb, which i wouldn't be against of course. But even if we had one on the team i'm not totally convinced it'd even make a huge difference. As you pointed out, we've had some success & productivity when we've ran it. The main issue i see here is simply Daboll not committing to the run game at all. With that game vs TB, he didn't even call his 1st run play til the 2nd half lol. Its not so much a talent issue, although a better oline & rb would help. You can scheme up run plays with subpar talent if thats what u feel we have. Look what Atlanta is doing with Cordarelle Patterson? Last year it was jet sweeps with McKenzie. There's things you could do to keep defenses more honest. I see our issues more on Daboll & his scheming or lack there of & our game plan more than anything imho.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

My guess is that if they didn't value guard before, they do now.

Especially with how the league is trending towards explosive, penetrating players at those positions that can single handedly wreck an offense if they aren't taken care of.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

nope.  Bean and McD are making us into the Marvin Lewis Bengals.  Mediocracy is now success. 

Marvin Lewis never won a playoff game, so McBeane is already well beyond him Debbie.

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Allen, Singletary, Diggs, Beasley, Davis, Stevenson, Brown, Dawkins, Knox..  Everyone else is upgradeable. 

I'd be inclined to keep Morse for another year if we can get two stud Guards next to him.   Darryl Williams could potentially be a trade piece.  Cut Feliciano.

What has Jerry Hughes done this year to warrant another season?  The guy is toast.

4 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

You gave some great info in your post here. I hear all the time on how we need to get a top tier rb, which i wouldn't be against of course. But even if we had one on the team i'm not totally convinced it'd even make a huge difference. As you pointed out, we've had some success & productivity when we've ran it. The main issue i see here is simply Daboll not committing to the run game at all. With that game vs TB, he didn't even call his 1st run play til the 2nd half lol. Its not so much a talent issue, although a better oline & rb would help. You can scheme up run plays with subpar talent if thats what u feel we have. Look what Atlanta is doing with Cordarelle Patterson? Last year it was jet sweeps with McKenzie. There's things you could do to keep defenses more honest. I see our issues more on Daboll & his scheming or lack there of & our game plan more than anything imho.

Exactly.  They gave the backs zero chances in the first half and be being so out of balance they were getting killed.  Daboll's reasoning was simply Tampa has a top 2 run defense.   However, when they did give it to the backs in the 2nd have, albeit a limited number of times, Motor went for 52 yards on only 4 carries and Breida gained 12 on 3 carries.   That's a pathetic 7 carries for an outstanding 64 yards and an average of 9.1 yards per pop!!  

Daboll was an offensive genius and daring last season.  This season he's somewhere between trying to be too smart and coaching scared!!

5 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

I think, with a better OL next year, Singletary is fine.  He's very average at running, blocking and receiving, but does have above average elusiveness in tight space.  If we can open holes that get him into the second level, he's explosive in that area.  He won't outrun a ton of guys but he will turn a bunch of 8-10 yards runs into 15-20.

Given the want to have more balance / ability to run when needed next year, I would think we want to upgrade that position.  At the very least bringing in competition for Singletary that isn't a JAG.  Then rotating those two backs, with the winner of that battle being the primary.  

52 minutes ago, TPS said:

Interestingly, Wyatt Teller is an UFA in 2022...maybe Josh can convince him to return.

Personally, I think the #1 priority on the O-line should be C, not G.  There's only 1 top C available in the draft, and he'll most likely go before 20.

C and Two OGs are needed.

So buy the Center and 1 OG and go into the draft for the other.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don't know...we have one of the top offenses and defenses in the league - it hasn't been long since we traded a first for Diggs.  I would settle for some balance.  It should not be too difficult to find an interior offensive lineman, interior defensive lineman, rb, and cb that can all contribute in this draft...then add some pieces via free agency to complete the puzzle.

CB in the first

IOL or IDL in the second

IOL or IDL in the third

RB in the 4th

Add some developmental talent to round out the draft...

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

What has Jerry Hughes done this year to warrant another season?  The guy is toast.

He still generates pressure, but yes - I agree - he's underwhelming.   I am talking a reduced.. reduced salary.   We need a 4th pass rusher and it should probably be a vet with the 3 guys on the books being a 3rd year guy and two 2nd year guys.  I'm not opposed to looking elsewhere, but we have enough investment on this defense already... I want at least 70% of our asset allocation this offseason going to help Josh.   

Re-signing Levi and Harry, salary reduction for Hughes and a mid-round DT sounds about right.   Totally fine going after a mid-tier/top-tier EDGE as well, but not at the expense of the Offense.  

6 minutes ago, atomicpwrd said:

I don't know...we have one of the top offenses and defenses in the league - it hasn't been long since we traded a first for Diggs.  I would settle for some balance.  It should not be too difficult to find an interior offensive lineman, interior defensive lineman, rb, and cb that can all contribute in this draft...then add some pieces via free agency to complete the puzzle.

CB in the first

IOL or IDL in the second

IOL or IDL in the third

RB in the 4th

Add some developmental talent to round out the draft...

Man... no offense, but i hate everything about this post.  

We have balance if we priority address the Offense this offseason.  

1st Round DT.  Big money DT.  1st Round EDGE.  2nd Round EDGE (x2).  Paid LB.  1st Round LB.  Paid CB.  Paid Safety.  I mean, what more do we need to do... figure it out... draft a space eater behind Star, try to bring back Harry and Levi and be done with it.  

Meanwhile Josh is out there having to be Peyton Elway with JAG RB's, 1 or 2 lineman worth building around (assuming Dawkins ever remembers who he is) and one weapon anyone has to worry about in Diggs.  Knox, Beasley & Davis are nice pieces but not when that's all we've got.  

I want laser focus on the Offense from this FO in the Offseason.  No BPA that leads us down the path to another high defensive pick.  No more wasted cap space on rotational DL.... Pay the price to protect Josh.  Full stop.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

1st Round DT.  Big money DT.  1st Round EDGE.  2nd Round EDGE (x2).  Paid LB.  1st Round LB.  Paid CB.  Paid Safety.  I mean, what more do we need to do... figure it out... draft a space eater behind Star, try to bring back Harry and Levi and be done with it.  

Meanwhile Josh is out there having to be Peyton Elway with JAG RB's, 1 or 2 lineman worth building around (assuming Dawkins ever remembers who he is) and one weapon anyone has to worry about in Diggs.  Knox, Beasley & Davis are nice pieces but not when that's all we've got.  

I want laser focus on the Offense from this FO in the Offseason.  No BPA that leads us down the path to another high defensive pick.  No more wasted cap space on rotational DL.... Pay the price to protect Josh.  Full stop.  

Agree this Offseason, and I mean Offseason not just the Draft should be about two things.

1.  Protect your Franchise QB

2. Get weapons for your Franchise QB

Over 50% of the Cap is spend on the Defense......  That looks good against BU QBs only

That number drops slightly to 48% of the cap Next season, and thanks to Josh's Contract kicking in the Offense is up from 41% of cap to 46% of cap.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

How do we go from AFC Championship last year, to this loser mentality?

It's unbelievable. You guys expect Super Bowl every single year? 

Beane* and McDermott* turned us from a team that didn't make the playoffs in 20+ years to a team that makes it consistently AND wins.

Good LORD where did all these depressed, ungrateful fans come from?

Not to mention that without horrendous refball, we're 10-3 and first seed, or 9-4 with a win over the defending champs at worst.

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You know he really is the closest thing I’ve seen to the 1980s John Elway Denver broncos teams where Elway was amazing but everything around him was ok 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

McDermott has a stud for a quarterback, but he really doesn't want one. He's frustrated by all this passing. It takes away his opportunities to punt and kick field goals so the defense can get back on the field. He wants excellence on defense and, ideally, mediocrity on offense. 

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's unlikely that a 2nd and 4th round guard will transform our OL from bad to good.    If this is how we draft, I hope free agency is more productive.  

Yeah, like last year. It's not like there was a Pro Bowl-caliber center/guard available in the second round. Oh, wait. 

Given that the biggest issue with this team has been the offensive guard play I think it’s fairly safe to say that the front office is likely going to put resources into that position. If I am looking at this team as a fan I would say that the priority needs are as follows.

1- Guard 

2- DT

3- RB

4- CB (depending on if Levi is resigned if they keep Levi scratch this off the list)

5- WR (depending on if they replace Sanders or not)

6- Safety (more so a depth and get younger need here)

I would assume that the team is likely to keep Levi and either resign Sanders or find a solid vet at WR. So taking those needs off the list you have 2 out of your top 3 needs on offense. If this organization can’t attempt to fill those needs then they are fumbling a window to win.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Go Buy me two OGs like Conner Williams and Brandon Schreff (I could settle with one OG Bought and the other Drafted)

after that Buy me a Center like Bradley Bozeman

From there you can do whatever you want in the draft.

...As long as you don't piss away substantial draft capital on a RB! 

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Given that the biggest issue with this team has been the offensive guard play I think it’s fairly safe to say that the front office is likely going to put resources into that position. If I am looking at this team as a fan I would say that the priority needs are as follows.

1- Guard 

2- DT

3- RB

4- CB (depending on if Levi is resigned if they keep Levi scratch this off the list)

5- WR (depending on if they replace Sanders or not)

6- Safety (more so a depth and get younger need here)

I would assume that the team is likely to keep Levi and either resign Sanders or find a solid vet at WR. So taking those needs off the list you have 2 out of your top 3 needs on offense. If this organization can’t attempt to fill those needs then they are fumbling a window to win.

I really think the center position is the most important on offensive line. Straight up the middle is the direct line to the QB. I want these scouts to get to work and find one that can hold the point of attack and can move people. Morse was able to leave a championship caliber team for a reason. Don’t want to spend big money on offensive line anymore. Big money should be used on QB, Edge rushers

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

...As long as you don't piss away substantial draft capital on a RB! 

If you’re using a 1st/2nd rd pick on RB, then use the hell out of him for those 5 years and draft another one. There are/were some talented, game changing RBs that we let get away/can draft. 

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I really think the center position is the most important on offensive line. Straight up the middle is the direct line to the QB. I want these scouts to get to work and find one that can hold the point of attack and can move people. Morse was able to leave a championship caliber team for a reason. Don’t want to spend big money on offensive line anymore. Big money should be used on QB, Edge rushers

The Bills don’t have a ton of cap space so I think their best way to improve the team is going to be via the draft. Easy to see them spending a first round pick along the Oline. I am fine with Mitch at center it’s the guard positions that are hurting.

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You have one of the best players in the league at QB he needs help you can’t keep using him as the Texas version of Vince Young 

Oh, I agree 💯. I’d LOVE it if we went all offense in the draft and FA.  Bring back this defense + a solid 1 tech.  That’s definitely good enough to win a title with an upgraded O.  

Replace Sanders with a youngster.  Some height/size would be nice for the red zone.  Dunno what’s gonna happen with Cole, but we can make due as long as we give josh some protection.  That’s my #1 priority this season, as it was last season.  They decided that the DL was the priority. It’s been improved, while our OL regressed 

We may not be able to retain Knox.  Adding a good all around TE to pair with Knox next year (and possibly groom to replace knox if he proves to be too expensive) and 3 new interior OL (although it’s very unlikely).  Add a rb somewhere along the lines, whether it’s FA or the draft.  We can find a good fit.  If love to give Rashad Penny a shot with a low 💴 contract.  

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I agree and disagree.

I agree that we need to focus on the offense. 

I disagree with your replaceable list. I honestly think the only players that can’t be upgraded are Allen, Diggs, and Brown. Everyone else can be replaced. 

i don't need skill position players in the first.  josh has plenty of skill talent, he needs a mauling line.  singletary and moss are fine if there is actually a hole to run through.  however, give me Jordan Davis in the first if he somehow falls.  we've neglected the NT position for too long.  i want an immovable piece in the middle of the line.  i wanted Tyler Shelvin last year, and this year Jordan Davis is an absolute monster, but 1T tend to fall.  outside of him i don't care if they draft all oline.

5 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Let’s face it…McDs love affair with using high picks on defense has finally caught up with this offense. Here is what I wanna see:

1.  Sign a nasty vet guard in FA

2.  Use first round pick on a WR

3.  Use second rounder on a speedy RB

4.  Use a third rounder on another nasty guard

Is this finally the year McD sees the light and understands we have a dawg at qb and we need to give him the weapons to get the most out of his abilities?

Nope.   More DBs, defensive lineman and undersized linebackers.

Outside of Allen, what game changing offensive player has this regime drafted in 4 seasons?  I'll wait.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Yep, and when your strategy for guard is moving failed tackles inside, that's doing it wrong.

Exactly. For one whole year Daryl Williams looked amazing. He got paid and fell off the map. We're forced to hide him at RG and he still sucks. Boettger just doesn't have talent and that would've been Tellers spot. Morse's days are probably numbered and Brown/ Dawkins have been inconsistent. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.