Game Week: Week 15 Carolina Panthers at Bills thread

Hapless Bills Fan

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

So done with Star.  Guy sits out for an entire season because of Covid.  Fine understandable.  Proceeds to not get vaxxed.  Not really understandable as having a pre existing condition is all the more reason to get vaxxed and any doctor will tell you that. Even still.  Fine whatever.  Proceeds to miss games after catching Covid.  Ok now you are a dumbass but whatever.  Comes back for a few plays and injures his freaking toe, sits out the rest of the game, and is out what is likely now multiple weeks for his toe.  Meanwhile Allen contorts his whole foot and gets sprained.  Dude is going to warrior it out for his team.  In my mind Star is nothing but a money grabber looking for a free ride into retirement at this point.

He didn't miss a game his first two years here before Covid hit so it's not like he just got the big contract and got lazy.  I'm sure he played through some pain during those two years.  I didn't have a problem with him sitting out a year with Covid given his body weight and how little we knew about it at the time.  I'm with you that I have a huge problem with him not getting vaccinated considering he sat out a year.

However, I doubt you're part of the training staff that knows the difference between Allen's injury and Star's injury.  Yet alone concluding that Star is soft for not playing through it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Do they even care in Charlotte? One non-team article the day before a game . . .

Saturday's Carolina Coverage

Who will and won’t play in Panthers-Bills game? Will COVID play a factor? (Charlotte Observer)
Adjusting on the fly to new COVID protocols (Panthers.com)
Panthers place Matt Barkley on reserve/COVID-19 list (Panthers.com)
Week 15 Final Injury Report: DJ Moore questionable (Panthers.com)

TwoBillsDrive.com | 5 hours ago

10 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

So done with Star.  Guy sits out for an entire season because of Covid.  Fine understandable.  Proceeds to not get vaxxed.  Not really understandable as having a pre existing condition is all the more reason to get vaxxed and any doctor will tell you that. Even still.  Fine whatever.  Proceeds to miss games after catching Covid.  Ok now you are a dumbass but whatever.  Comes back for a few plays and injures his freaking toe, sits out the rest of the game, and is out what is likely now multiple weeks for his toe.  Meanwhile Allen contorts his whole foot and gets sprained.  Dude is going to warrior it out for his team.  In my mind Star is nothing but a money grabber looking for a free ride into retirement at this point.

Wasn’t Star told by his doctor that the vaccine may not be advisable for him due to that condition, which is why he’s not vaccinated? 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Wasn’t Star told by his doctor that the vaccine may not be advisable for him due to that condition, which is why he’s not vaccinated? 

Not that I've seen. Just a dumb fat ass from what I can tell.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Theres probably a bunch of mediocre players on the Panthers waiting for their turn to be paid by BB and McD.

Reading this just made me mad, they better stop with getting those bums from the panthers. If there not good enough for the panthers why in the hell do we want them. But your probably right 😢

13 minutes ago, yall said:

Not that I've seen. Just a dumb fat ass from what I can tell.

I think that less people would be frustrated with that “dumb fat ass” if it weren’t for the fact that the defence has played better with him on the field. As maddening as it is to see him not play through this toe injury, it would be great to see him healthy for the last games of the season and a hopeful playoff run.

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

That has been said, but not publicly confirmed by Star that I've seen.   PEG allergy is a real thing, so that's possible. and pro football players may be more aware of it than others because some of the medications commonly used to treat football injuries contain PEG, but the J&J vaccine does not contain PEG. 

It's been debated here before whether Star in fact has "that condition" (a heart condition? myocarditis?), or had an improperly performed test at the combine, or had a viral myocarditis that resolved.   If he in fact does have a heart condition, hopefully he is taking advice from his cardiologist and not the Interwebs.

18 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Reading this just made me mad, they better stop with getting those bums from the panthers. If there not good enough for the panthers why in the hell do we want them. But your probably right 😢

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there are many players left Beane and McDermott have experience with, nor much front office connection remaining there.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there are many players left Beane and McDermott have experience with, nor much front office connection remaining there.

Never say never. Dan Morgan is now the Assistant GM there after leaving the Bills earlier this year for the gig. 

11 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

He's been such an overpaid stiff and disappointment.  Another failed Carolina pick up. He'll be released after the season. As much as we need 4+ new olineman,  McD will probably be forced  to burn a top pick on a 1T replacement.  Unless he can find a good FA not from Carolina. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What idiot burns a first round pick on a 1T?

They should be fired on the spot if they do that.

I said top pick, not first round. But there have historically been several teams that have selected DT's in the 1st round.  It wouldn't be my strategy but McD won't be able to help himself.  He's as done with Star as we are fan wise, so it wouldn't shock me to see him draft a DT/1tech type somewhere in the first 3 rounds. 

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What idiot? How about that idiot Bill Belichick? Going into the 2021 draft, five of his 18 first round picks with the Pats*** were spent on DTs, three of which played much of their time at the 1 tech. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I said top pick, not first round. But there have historically been several teams that have selected DT's in the 1st round.  It wouldn't be my strategy but McD won't be able to help himself.  He's as done with Star as we are fan wise, so it wouldn't shock me to see him draft a DT/1tech type somewhere in the first 3 rounds. 

One of the big issues they have is that they line up their 3T on the heavy side of the formation mostly..........and their 3T is an undersized guy who isn't built to handle double teams.   So really,  what they need to function best is a bigger, stronger 3T if they want to keep aligning this way on the DL.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to trade Ed Oliver this offseason.  He IS their best DL but he is limited by the system and the 5th year option decision is due in spring.    The Bills really need him to finish strong both for their own current need but also to possibly stir up some trade interest.   Unless they make some fundamental changes I can't see them ever getting much bang for the buck out of Oliver.

I haven't been watching Akiem Hicks of Chicago much this year,  but he would be an ideal 3T if they want to stay with the "over" front because he can take on the double but also push the pocket from the traditionally pass rusher friendly 3T position.

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's been such an overpaid stiff and disappointment.  Another failed Carolina pick up. He'll be released after the season. As much as we need 4+ new olineman,  McD will probably be forced  to burn a top pick on a 1T replacement.  Unless he can find a good FA not from Carolina. 

He's been a disappointment, but only because of injuries and COVID. He's played exceptionally well when healthy, a key reason the defense was dominant earlier in the season. We missed him badly in the Colts and Pats game. 

46 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd take another Ted Washington where the Bills will be picking. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

What idiot? How about that idiot Bill Belichick? Going into the 2021 draft, five of his 18 first round picks with the Pats*** were spent on DTs, three of which played much of their time at the 1 tech. 

Having Tom Brady afforded the Pats and BB many unconventional luxuries and covered up a lot of errors. 

People get so hung up on “you can’t take X position” in the first round of the draft. Says who? We don’t have a say. They should be about stacking talent and taking the best player available. If that’s the big hoss 1T DT out of Georgia or a multi-dimensional RB to take some heat off Allen then so be it. No one on here should complain if that player work out. Personally, I’m a fan of going OL with two of the first four picks. Snag a back, corner, receiver, and a DT at some point in FA and/or remaining picks and let’s roll. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

People get so hung up on “you can’t take X position” in the first round of the draft. Says who? We don’t have a say. They should be about stacking talent and taking the best player available. If that’s the big hoss 1T DT out of Georgia or a multi-dimensional RB to take some heat of Allen then so be it. No one on here should complain if that player work out. Personally, I’m a fan of going OL with two of the first four picks again. Snag a back, corner, receiver, and a DT at some point in FA and/or remaining picks and let’s roll. 

I feel like the above in bold should be added.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Sign one. A serviceable fat 1T shouldn't break the bank. Beane signing d lineman does scare me though,  he's pretty clueless in that area. 

No way we should take a DT in the first. 

https://theathletic.com/3023309/2021/12/17/will-josh-allens-foot-injury-cause-a-change-in-offensive-philosophy-5-bills-thoughts-and-a-prediction/?source=emp_shared_article

Will the offense change due to Allen's injury?

On Friday, Bills head coach Sean McDermott announced that coaches have liked how starting quarterback Josh Allen looked this week in practice and expect him to start. (....)

Allen appeared to be moving well on his sprained left foot during Thursday’s practice, though he didn’t do a full seven-step drop in individual drills during the portion open to media. That likely was only a precautionary measure, and he’ll be good to go from a throwing perspective. However, Allen might not be able to scramble or run on designed plays as much as usual.

I wonder if there's a clue in the McDermott interview quote "he is able to do what fits the job description of a QB" - Running for 100 yds isn't in that job description

Oline without Dawkins:

Dawkins hasn’t missed a game all season, but training camp might have given us a clue about what the Bills will do if they’re without him. During his summer absence, the Bills used rookie offensive tackle Spencer Brown there almost exclusively. Brown probably has more reps at left tackle than anyone other than Dawkins. Then when you look at the matchup against ultra-quick Panthers defensive end Brian Burns, Brown’s quick feet and length are the best remaining match of skills.

If the Bills switch Brown from right tackle to left tackle, I’d expect some of the same moves they made when Brown was out. Daryl Williams moved from right guard to right tackle and forced a new starting guard into the lineup. Based on the team’s overwhelming preference, Ike Boettger is a smart bet at left guard. If healthy enough to play, Jon Feliciano is likeliest a right guard over Cody Ford. Given Allen’s injury, keeping pressure out of the pocket will be vital, so I’d expect the Bills to go with what they know without Dawkins rather than taking chances.

Bills need more from the Edge:

The Bills have seen diminishing returns from their edge rushers, specifically their younger players. It’s led to not only an over-reliance on veterans Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison but also more pressure on defensive tackle Ed Oliver to be the point man of the pass rush. Regardless of the strength of the opponent, they need more from rookie Greg Rousseau and second-year player A.J. Epenesa. Both have been close to nonfactors as one-on-one pass rushers over the past month. Even McDermott said this week that the Bills need more from their pass rush. Fortunately for the Bills, they’ll be up against a matchup that can lead to a lot of success to get their young players back on track. Even if Epenesa has to miss the game because of a late-week injury, rookie defensive end Boogie Basham will get the chance to impress.

34 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I feel like the above in bold should be added.

All respect, dude, but "Personally, I’m a fan of going OL with two of the first four picks again."?

When did the Bills ever go OL with 2 of the first 4 picks, in the last decade?

Are you counting Doyle as a "first 4 picks"?

Also frankly 3rd and 5th round is not the investment I think the OL needs, personally.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All respect, dude, but "Personally, I’m a fan of going OL with two of the first four picks again."?

Also frankly 3rd and 5th round is not the investment I think the OL needs, personally.

I could be completely wrong here, but the last time I remember them doing it was the 09 draft taking Wood at the end of the first and coming back and grabbing Levitre in the 2nd. Great picks. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, turftoe said:

This should help our offense. 
Brown is a key player on their defensive line.

We lose Dawkins, they lose Brown. Fair enough. How come the Pats* never lose anybody, aside from a backup tight end? Could there be any wiggle room in the reporting requirements for Belichick to take advantage of? 

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Our first 4 picks last year were Rousseau, Basham, Brown and Doyle. How are there not 2 OL in those picks? That is how it's reading to me. It does not read our first two picks or 2 of the first three.

Most folks forget we drafted an IOL last year because it was so late and he isn't here any more. My point is it seems like the front office is trying to backfill our lines. Sometimes it takes time for these guys to get on the field. And they still need more linemen, but the fact is they took two in the first four picks last year.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, finn said:

We lose Dawkins, they lose Brown. Fair enough. How come the Pats* never lose anybody, aside from a backup tight end? Could there be any wiggle room in the reporting requirements for Belichick to take advantage of? 

BB probably has quarantined a homeless guy in his basement who is given 53 swabs a day.

Even if he gets caught they will only lose a 3rd round pick but they get 3 3rd round comps every year so it's no big deal to him!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.