Josh Allen Complaints

george c

3 hours ago, george c said:

Is just me who feels this way, or do others feel that Josh is complaining to the refs a little too much when he is hit?

The Monday night game was not a good look for Josh. The complaints were on every hit, and at some point, the refs may not give him a roughing call when he really deserves it.  

My complaint with Josh

1. When the call comes in to run Moss or Singletary in the Red Zone, not audibling out of that and calling his own number. 

2. That sack he took with ~9ish minutes left was horrible. Sweeney caused the first round getting blocked into Josh, but for him to not get rid of the that ball and take that sack really pushed the Bills out of range. 

The hero-ball, erratic plays still happen, and that's the positive and negative of Josh Allen. This year, the Bills don't come through in tight games. Only one loss was a shootout 34-31 against Tennessee, Indianapolis outstanding, the other 3 losses were winnable games, but the Bills got locked into a low scoring game and couldn't make a play. I think a chunk of this rigid formations/personnel, and lack of creativity from our HC and OC. But Allen has not been as good this year as last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He's certainly complaining too much for the refs about not getting Offside calls when he shouldn't actually be getting them. He lets the play get away from him on those plays and they always end up badly.

He does need to tone it down some. The refs will get annoyed and tired of this act and it will become an issue.  Ask Jerry how stuff like that ended up. Just play hard through the play and hope the refs do the fair thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, george c said:

LOL…Weird and divisive, but whatever… “Wrong Josh crowd”, what a weak, weak  accusation.

I don’t think that there is a single “Wrong Josh” person on this part of the world. There is no one we would rather have in Buffalo than Josh Allen. 
My posted question has NOTHING to do negatively with Josh Allen’s incredible play, other than wondering if he should keep some of the complaint cards in his pocket when he really needs them, instead of spending them in every game. 

We complain about Tom Brady and his constant whining when he is hit, but after his obvious success, he has earned that right by the officials obvious protection... 
Josh?, and other QB in the league for that matter….not just yet. 

It's a lot less "weird & divisive" then starting a thread claiming Allen complains to much within a day of one of the Bills most frustrating losses.  I'm not sure what you've been watching but most of the QB's complain.  And who cares if they do?  They're working the refs to try to get a call later.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

My complaint with Josh

2. That sack he took with ~9ish minutes left was horrible. Sweeney caused the first round getting blocked into Josh, but for him to not get rid of the that ball and take that sack really pushed the Bills out of range. 

There is such a thing as "grounding".  After Allen's blocker was driven into him, knocking him off his feet, he got back up off the ground faster then most QB's would have only to be almost immediately sacked by anther pass rusher.  Are you seriously suggesting that upon getting up Allen should have just thrown the ball away? While between the tackles and into a wind storm that might have kept it from getting out of the back of the end zone?

The expectations that some seem to have of Allen are surreal. 

8 hours ago, george c said:

Is just me who feels this way, or do others feel that Josh is complaining to the refs a little too much when he is hit?

The Monday night game was not a good look for Josh. The complaints were on every hit, and at some point, the refs may not give him a roughing call when he really deserves it.  

It is a relatively petty thing in the scheme of it but yes, I do. I think it is a sign of a less confident, less together player than Josh was last year. I think last year you hit Josh late he got up and smiled and then torched you the next play. He is doing too much officiating his own game this year which is a sign to me of a guy not totally happy with his game and trying to find outlets for that frustration. 

I thought he played a great game Monday Night this is not necessarily the week I'd have chosen to make this point but as a general trend, yes, and I think it is a symptom of the problem not the cause.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

37 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

There is such a thing as "grounding".  After Allen's blocker was driven into him, knocking him off his feet, he got back up off the ground faster then most QB's would have only to be almost immediately sacked by anther pass rusher.  Are you seriously suggesting that upon getting up Allen should have just thrown the ball away? While between the tackles and into a wind storm that might have kept it from getting out of the back of the end zone?

The expectations that some seem to have of Allen are surreal. 

If I recall, when Josh got knocked down, he tried to spin around but in doing so, he ran right into the defenders. If he would have just started running to the left, he had lots of room. His pocket (when there has been one) awareness has been lacking this year.

54 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

If I recall, when Josh got knocked down, he tried to spin around but in doing so, he ran right into the defenders. If he would have just started running to the left, he had lots of room. His pocket (when there has been one) awareness has been lacking this year.

I remember that play and Allen was nailed BY HIS OWN FREAKING GUY who somehow got blown back into him.  To suggest he could get up and calmly determine in which direction he had "room" is simply wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, george c said:

I actually hate that he does that...Even my wife says he's acting like Brady.  Just play the game.  Also, this is 2 or 3 times now that he assumes its Offside, points it out to the refs and blows a down.  

11 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

This message board really sucks right now 

I disagree. A lot of good Bills talk going on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I remember that play and Allen was nailed BY HIS OWN FREAKING GUY who somehow got blown back into him.  To suggest he could get up and calmly determine in which direction he had "room" is simply wrong. 

If you don't see anyone in front of you,  run that way. Don't try and do a spin-o-Rama, a la Mahomes.

During this last game I only saw Josh complaining to the refs after legitimate roughing the passer penalties went uncalled, or when the Patriots plainly jumped offside and it was not called. 

The Pats had 2 plays where the defender drove him into the ground with their full weight on top of him. Those 100% should have been penalties and were not called.

His complaining may have helped lead to the (borderline) late hit they called on the Patriots later in the game. The announcers freaked out and said it was a bad call, but I thought it was a good one. Josh was clearly half a yard out of bounds by the time the defender initiated contact. Who knows if the refs call that or not without Josh complaining earlier.   

18 hours ago, Gugny said:

The more complaining and flopping we can do, the better.

Sometimes it works; often times it doesn't.  When it works, it helps.  When it doesn't, there's no negative impact.

Logic <, >, or = to analytics 

20 hours ago, SCBills said:

He should absolutely complain... that Judon hit is a flag 95% of the time this year.  

But for the love of God, STOP TRYING TO DRAW DEFENSES OFFSIDE

Either we jump, or they jump and we think it's a free play when it's not.  

It cracks me up when he’s barking trying to get defenders to jump and they don’t.  Then he looks around like he doesn’t know what to do and they call a timeout.

I don’t know what it was about EJ Manuel but he was good at it.  

• Agree 1

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

Except it was the right call. People forget that. It was a God awful rule! But the ref got the call right.

Ahh, I'm not up for debating, especially when the facts are not helpful to my cause in this case. You're a decent sort, considering by some curse of birth or circumstance you ended up rooting for the evil empire. Nothing you can say will convince me the zebras aren't habitually inclined to help out certain fellas and teams. It isn't simply earned points for excellence, though I grant that plays a role.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Ahh, I'm not up for debating, especially when the facts are not helpful to my cause in this case. You're a decent sort, considering by some curse of birth or circumstance you ended up rooting for the evil empire. Nothing you can say will convince me the zebras aren't habitually inclined to help out certain fellas and teams. It isn't simply earned points for excellence, though I grant that plays a role.

Oh the refs can be horrid at times.. and yes I saw many a favorable call during the Brady/BB years.. But I bet the Bills are now getting their fair share of favorable calls too. (I don’t see a ton of their games but even Monday they got a few close to questionable calls)

12 hours ago, fasteddie said:

If you don't see anyone in front of you,  run that way. Don't try and do a spin-o-Rama, a la Mahomes.

I don't know about you but I,m 100% confident that if Allen SAW that no one was in front of him he would have run there.  Again the expectations surrounding what Allen can and can't do under these circumstances are insane.  He's not a Marvel Movie Super Hero.

On 12/8/2021 at 10:36 AM, george c said:

Well, NOT complaining wasn’t getting him anywhere so……….

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/8/2021 at 10:40 AM, BTB said:

It doesn’t matter if he complains or not…don’t you know the refs and the NFL have it out for the Bills?  At least that is what the tin foil hat wearing people here will tell you…especially when the Bills lose. 

What’s wrong with my tin foil hat?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Oh the refs can be horrid at times.. and yes I saw many a favorable call during the Brady/BB years.. But I bet the Bills are now getting their fair share of favorable calls too. (I don’t see a ton of their games but even Monday they got a few close to questionable calls)

A few. That loss was mainly on play execution. The win was there to be taken. I'm salty about the usual BB genius crap immediately forthcoming from lazy commentators. Easily could have gone the other way. From a Bills' perspective, I can only hope there is a successful effort in the offseason to upgrade the oline significantly. Size at rb and wr wouldn't be bad either. 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

A few. That loss was mainly on play execution. The win was there to be taken. I'm salty about the usual BB genius crap immediately forthcoming from lazy commentators. Easily could have gone the other way. From a Bills' perspective, I can only hope there is a successful effort in the offseason to upgrade the oline significantly. Size at rb and wr wouldn't be bad either. 

Size and strength matters playing smash mouth football.  Boxing defenders out with bigger size vs speed/finesse is a better fit for Allens lower flying laser shots IMO. Mixture of the two would be ideal IMO. Bills need a Dome in my humble opinion. 

Great posting Dr. Who

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/8/2021 at 10:36 AM, george c said:

The Judon hit where he flattens him falling on top with his full weight, always gets called for veteran QBs. These refs are so unpredictable and many would say,vindictive (Tony Corrente) Why not complain, it can't hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I don't know about you but I,m 100% confident that if Allen SAW that no one was in front of him he would have run there.  Again the expectations surrounding what Allen can and can't do under these circumstances are insane.  He's not a Marvel Movie Super Hero.

He’s paid like one. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.