Referee Tony Corrente corrupt as *****!!!

Bubba Gump

Just now, Gugny said:

Not gestures, per se.  But he walked toward the opposing team's bench and stared them down after making a huge play.  That's taunting.

I think the rule is asinine - don't get me wrong.  But it's the rule and if a player breaks it, they're gonna get flagged.

So staring is now unsportsmanlike conduct?  If not, then when is it ok to stare at your opponent? See the problem here?

The league is fixed—to the best of the NFL’s ability. And they have many methods of creating their desired outcomes. 

Anyone who doesn’t believe the NFL is rigged is simply in denial. Idk how you could watch Bills-Jags and conclude anything else. It was their most blatant one I’ve seen, and that’s because the officiating crew isn’t one of their top ones. The top ones are much more subtle with it, but it’s still beyond obvious. 

There’s a huge amount of compelling evidence to support this as well, but it’s a waste of time and energy to lay it all out. Still too many in denial who will defend the league even as they ***** over the Bills openly against the worst team in the league. 

Only three professional sports leagues are classified entertainment and not sport: WWE, Roller Derby, and…you guessed it..the NFL.

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

So staring is now unsportsmanlike conduct?  If not, then when is it ok to stare at your opponent? See the problem here?

I don't see any problem.  What he did was against the rules and the ref penalized him for it.  If there's any problem, it's in the idiot player's head for losing the game for his team.

Corrente blew the chance to rip the flag when Marsh made move toward Pitt sideline, but Marsh never made it far enough or probably said anything to really justify taunting. I think his inner ref voice saw it through w/bizarre tactic of drawing contact. Timing of the theatrical flag rip shows that imo.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

That is one of the most embarrassing ref decisions I've ever seen. Dont see any taunting at all. The only thing I can think of is that the player said something rude to the opposing team or the official but that would be unsportsmanlike conduct. just ridiculous. I said this after the Bills game. As soon as the officials became full time years ago they have increasingly seen themselves as  just as important as the players and feel the need to constantly affect the game.

Edited by Livinginthepast

13 minutes ago, BassToMouth said:

The league is fixed—to the best of the NFL’s ability. And they have many methods of creating their desired outcomes. 

Anyone who doesn’t believe the NFL is rigged is simply in denial. Idk how you could watch Bills-Jags and conclude anything else. It was their most blatant one I’ve seen, and that’s because the officiating crew isn’t one of their top ones. The top ones are much more subtle with it, but it’s still beyond obvious. 

There’s a huge amount of compelling evidence to support this as well, but it’s a waste of time and energy to lay it all out. Still too many in denial who will defend the league even as they ***** over the Bills openly against the worst team in the league. 

Only three professional sports leagues are classified entertainment and not sport: WWE, Roller Derby, and…you guessed it..the NFL.

Football is such a game of inches and single plays that it lends itself perfectly (not to fixing, exactly) but to timely calls to influence an outcome one way or another. 

Sure, in basketball you can call fouls, travelling, etc. but each team gets so many chances that unless it's in a key last minute moment you can always make it up. 

In football there are so few games and so few possessions, really. A 10 yard holding call to negate a big run can totally kill a drive and flip field position as well. Between illegal contact, holding (either OL or DB) and now taunting, you can almost throw on any given play and make a reasonable case for it. 

Pass interference can basically give the offense points, especially since it usually happens on a deep ball. 

Just one call in a football game leads to so many other circumstances, which makes the sport unique. 

Team A has the ball 1st and 10 at Team B's 40 yard line. Team A runs for 21 to the 19!

HOLDING!

Instead of 1st and 10 and the 19, it's 1st and 20 at the 50. 

Now, Team A is more likely to call totally different plays, maybe dropping back to pass more, which opens up the chances for a sack, fumble, INT. 

So it's not directly "scripting" but a call here and there can really change a football game in a way that it wouldn't in hockey, baseball, or basketball. 

And if you're playing Tommy Brady in a game that really matters? LOL

Expect ZERO holding calls on Tommy's team and many on yours. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Not gestures, per se.  But he walked toward the opposing team's bench and stared them down after making a huge play.  That's taunting.

I think the rule is asinine - don't get me wrong.  But it's the rule and if a player breaks it, they're gonna get flagged.

The point is that it happens all the time and is not flagged.  Like constantly.  Then, all of a sudden, in this situation they call it?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

A person would have to be extremely stupid to think otherwise. 

Honestly, all I've heard since Sunday is "they didn't lose the game due to the flags" 

Yes, in a way they absolutely did. They also played like garbage 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't see any problem.  What he did was against the rules and the ref penalized him for it.  If there's any problem, it's in the idiot player's head for losing the game for his team.

I guess you could argue that pretty much anything a player does after he makes a big play is "taunting" under the current rule, and that's the problem.  Just way too much leeway for referees to make game-altering calls with no real standards to apply and no accountability.  And here's the beauty part: these are, by definition, game-changing calls because they happen only after a big play by the team that gets flagged.  I mean, why else taunt, right?   

Think of it this way:

Pretend you were a corrupt ref who wanted to influence the outcome of an NFL game. How easy would it be, assuming the teams are playing roughly even?

You could just pick 2 spots, 1 for each team. If I want team A to win:

Hit Team B with a defensive pass interference either in or near the end zone, preferably on a deep ball, and preferably somewhat early on in the game so it's not going to get the same level of scrutiny. Worst case scenario the commentators say "golly, I don't see it there but who knows anymore?!" and the game goes right on. Likely there's SOME contact so you have deniability. You saw it in the moment, fast moving game, etc.

Then, hit Team B with an offensive holding or hands to the face, preferably on a 3rd down and 10 play that negates a first down somewhere and makes it 3rd down and 20, especially if Team B is deeper in their own end. This almost assures that they run a draw and punt. 

By doing just that, you've essentially gifted Team A 7 points and killed a drive for Team B, when there are only so many per half. 

In a close game, that's enormous. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

It was just crazy how many calls went against the bears. I’m no conspiracy theorist but I have to think twice now. And don’t forget the no calls when Pit could’ve been penalized. Blatant roughing the passer on Fields and nothing called. If that were Brady or Rodgers, fogettaboutit - flag would’ve been out before they hit the ground. 

14 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I've been saying this for over 25 years. Do you not remember the infamous Seattle Pittsburgh SB.  The league will always take care of its favorite blue blood organizations. And those that ignore it are just naive.

Fun fact: The six owner compensation committee that determined Goodell’s last compensation package - which was then passed unaltered by the owners - was comprised of:

Arthur Blank, Chairman

Clark Hunt

Robert Kraft

John Mara

Bob McNair

Art Rooney

That contract paid him $128M over the last 2 years.  I wonder how Roger feels about those owners and their teams?

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Fun fact: The six owner compensation committee that determined Goodell’s last compensation package - which was then passed unaltered by the owners - was comprised of:

Arthur Blank, Chairman

Clark Hunt

Robert Kraft

John Mara

Bob McNair

Art Rooney

That contract paid him $128M over the last 2 years.  I wonder how Roger feels about those owners and their teams?

As much as Atlanta blew that Super Bowl, let us not forget that they had the ball on the NE 21 with around 2:30 to go and up 8.

What happened?

HOLDING to push them back past the 30. Without that holding call Atlanta still wins that Super Bowl and Tommy doesn't complete the comeback.

Now, players still have to make plays, but by essentially ending Atlanta's hope of scoring (all they needed was an insurance FG to go up 11 and it's game over) they gave NE a chance. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

As much as Atlanta blew that Super Bowl, let us not forget that they had the ball on the NE 21 with around 2:30 to go and up 8.

What happened?

HOLDING to push them back past the 30. 

They lost to the Kraft owned Patriots.  He’s on that list too.  Nice that they both made it there.  And that Covid didn’t hit ‘ol Roger in the pocketbook too hard. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, mannc said:

What gestures did he make?  Why not just make it a 15-yard penalty not to retreat to your own bench area after every play, if it's based on him "walking toward his opponents' sideline"?  Are the Steelers such snowflakes that they need protection from an opposing player walking toward their sideline?  

Dude, he had a threatening posture. You'd not want these 53 Steelers protected (plus coaches and staff)  from this one mean mugging guy? I felt the terror. Zero tolerance for intimidation! I'll go cry in my safe place now.

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

Keep in mind that he won the Super Bowl. Not a sore loser talking here. 

I had watched that video a few days back and came away unconvinced TBH. Retired players often are sour as they've lost all the surrounding folks taking care of them and all. Some favoritism possible? Sure. But nope, nothing THAT blatant IMO. Anyway, that video didn't convince me at all.

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You can boo me all you want for that price tag ha ha

Edited by Jerome007
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

The guy walked toward the steelers sideline eyeballing them. I don't believe the "bump" factored in. 

I agree the call should have not been made but the bears player wasn't innocent, with the emphasis on taunting he should have just played it safe.

So you are now not allowed to look at the opposing teams sidelines? 😂

14 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I had watched that video a few days back and came away unconvinced TBH. Retired players often are sour as they've lost all the surrounding folks taking care of them and all. Some favoritism possible? Sure. But nope, nothing THAT blatant IMO. Anyway, that video didn't convince me at all.

To each his own. Sounded to me like a guy who had seen enough and was sick of being quiet about it. 

You know what should be cracked down on, and considered unsportsmanlike conduct? This idiotic practice on defense where after a turnover, a group of players have to run all the way to the opposite end zone to celebrate. Even worse, sometime they are joined by players off the sideline.   

Edited by BTB
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Football is such a game of inches and single plays that it lends itself perfectly (not to fixing, exactly) but to timely calls to influence an outcome one way or another. 

First down by penalty.

That's your statistical clue to who the NFL is attempting to help.

1 hour ago, Billever76 said:

So you are now not allowed to look at the opposing teams sidelines? 😂

Not in the NFL, just like standing over a guy after you tackle him, it's illegal whether you say something or not.

You guys act like this kid made a tackle, looked over towards the sideline and walked away. 

Which, is completely untrue, he walked over put on a "look at me" show. Then he got penalized for it, which isn't crazy considering the point of emphasis on taunting. 

He should have celebrated with his teammates and left the field. 

I don't intend to change anyone's mind, you can't change mine either though.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm really confused by all of this. I guess the optics is that he threw the flag right after the contact with the player, but he called taunting for the player staring down the Steelers bench. If the contact had to do with the flag, he would have called something besides taunting, like contacting the official or something, which you can get thrown out of the game for.

But he didn't. He called taunting. It is a judgement call and he judged that there was taunting, something that is being emphasized this year (which is dumb).

This seems like any other dumb taunting penalty we have seen this year. I don't see why this has everyone more angry than others in previous weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Not in the NFL, just like standing over a guy after you tackle him, it's illegal whether you say something or not.

You guys act like this kid made a tackle, looked over towards the sideline and walked away. 

Which, is completely untrue, he walked over put on a "look at me" show. Then he got penalized for it, which isn't crazy considering the point of emphasis on taunting. 

He should have celebrated with his teammates and left the field. 

I don't intend to change anyone's mind, you can't change mine either though.

That's how I see it too. Looking at the sideline isn't a penalty. Looking at the sidelines to taunt them is. Standing over a player isn't a penalty. Standing over a player to taunt them is. Yelling isn't a penalty. Yelling to taunt someone is. It isn't the physical act, it is the intent of the act. We all know when we see it. What he did was taunting, however mild it was.

I think they have gone way too far with it this year. A little taunting is not a big deal. But rules are rules. Players need to have disciplined minds to know that any little thing will get called. Go run towards a teammate and flex at him, if you must. Go out of your way to make sure you are not giving the appearance of taunting. Not because it is right, but because you will potentially get a flag thrown for it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SCBills said:

Noticing more and more people call out officiating this year.  

It’s bad, and more than just the typical “refs hate us” fans are talking about it. 

The quality of officiating has dropped precipitously, such that they are acting on instructions from the league to make games closer and the same old Most-Favored-Teams & Most Favored Players… or something is doing with betting. It’s been bad before but not to this level.

I had four games on screens this weekend and it was like every play, three games had a flag. The fields are being carpeted yellow. And it’s becoming unwatchable like this.

• Like (+1) 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/09/matt-nagy-thought-65-yard-field-goal-and-hail-mary-had-about-the-same-chance-of-success/

The video is the part that is really interesting in this.

Simms calls out Corrente, not for being on the take, but for actually having issues with individual players, citing something that happened between him and Corrente, after he complained (including a traditional f-bomb) about a  particularly late hit.

Basically, after any sort of break (commercial, t.o. etc.) the ref normally gives a quick signal to the QB, before the whistle gets blown to start the clock again. After the complaint by Simms, there was nothing from Corrente. When challenged about it, by Simms, his answer was along the lines of 'are you going to apologise for being disrespectful to me before?'

It would seem that the likeliest explanation of what happened, is that Corrente took an opportunity to screw someone over on the Bears (probably Marsh), for earlier perceived insults.

Something really should be done about this, but it probably won't be.

Which is a pity, as it might have lead to Hughes getting more than one holding call a game, if the Zebras thought they were going to be held to account for pettiness.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buddo said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/09/matt-nagy-thought-65-yard-field-goal-and-hail-mary-had-about-the-same-chance-of-success/

Simms calls out Corrente, not for being on the take, but for actually having issues with individual players, citing something that happened between him and Corrente, after he complained (including a traditional f-bomb) about a  particularly late hit.

Basically, after any sort of break (commercial, t.o. etc.) the ref normally gives a quick signal to the QB, before the whistle gets blown to start the clock again. After the complaint by Simms, there was nothing from Corrente. When challenged about it, by Simms, his answer was along the lines of 'are you going to apologise for being disrespectful to me before?'

It would seem that the likeliest explanation of what happened, is that Corrente took an opportunity to screw someone over on the Bears (probably Marsh), for earlier perceived insults.

Something really should be done about this, but it probably won't be.

Which is a pity, as it might have lead to Hughes getting more than one holding call a game, if the Zebras thought they were going to be held to account for pettiness.

wow—  that is so petty. That guy should seriously be banned from reffing games. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Maybe if that idiot wasn’t acting like a tough guy walking towards the Steelers Punter/sideline the flag would have never been thrown. 

They rely on people like you who do their work for them as far as defending their integrity. Congrats 👏 good work helping a professional ‘sports’ (entertainment license) league fix games

I was going to make a thread on the league being fixed after the blatant Jax game rigging, but others have jumped in. Glad to see so many people waking up. 

-NFL has an entertainment license not a sporting one (only wwe and roller derby share this similarity as far as pro sports go)

-you all need to look up court cases involving the nfl. They always use the defense that they’re one entity—one corporation—not 32 separate franchises as everyone would assume. This allows them to be classified as entertainment. 
-look up the Supreme Court case resulting from a jets fan suing the league after spygate. He and his lawyer argued the league had committed consumer fraud and that he never would have bought season tickets if he knew it wasn’t a legitimate sporting event. The judge ruled his ticket only granted him access into the stadium and that the nfl was under no obligation to provide a fair sporting contest because legally, the nfl is considered entertainment. 
-the amount of spread busters, ludicrous endings I might add, that occur in the nfl is actually comical. 

A common argument is “well how could everyone be in on it and they keep it quiet, no one has ever said anything from within the league.”

-It’s absolutely not everyone. There are NDAs in all nfl contracts, but what it appears to me is that each team has a few coaches and players who actively help steer outcomes on the field. The refs are clearly fixing and steering, this shouldn’t even be a question at this point. I won’t mention who in the Bills is helping this imo bc I don’t see the point. 
-There has been a whistle blower, a very recent one. And he had two pick sixes in a super bowl. Dwight Smith of the Bucs 

The Raiders Bucs super bowl was blatant. Even Tim Brown and Jerry Rice couldn’t contain themselves here. They had a totally different offense and then Callaghan goes back to the gruden one on Saturday the day before. Barrett Robins disappearance should Make a bit more sense now. 

I would get into the truth of the Hail Murray, but this board isn’t ready for that. 

The league is fixed. It’s entertainment not sport. They craft narratives and market them. That’s why weeks ago I said the Pats would play in the super bowl against the Bucs this year. Universally laughed at by the board, followed by comments of how bad the Pats are.

exactly what I said is happening is happening. Game manager rookie carried by defense and Belichek’s ‘genius.’ While obviously it’s still very early, I don’t see people laughing at the notion now. In fact there have been numerous threads on the real threat the Pats represent. The thing is, you all haven’t been watching the cheats play and seeing how much help they’re getting from the zebras, you’re just seeing the outcome. The nfl is repeating 2001 w Jones in place of Tommy Terrific. The narrative is who is the real reason for the Pats dynasty Bill or Tom. They will keep this going and I believe it’s the preferred narrative they wish to play out. Last year was the passing of the torch Possibility between mahomes and Brady. Green Bay was clearly the best team, but like in the pats hey day the Bucs dbs were allowed to maul opposing wrs. Such a great defense! 😂 yeah gbay and others got the colts treatment. Hard to get your offense going when the opposing team isn’t called for flags. 

im sure you all noticed this happen to us against the chiefs. We didn’t play our best but our receivers were mauled with almost no flags. It’s a joke. It’s clearly fixed. 

Flame away, but I went over about half of what I could’ve. I think a lot of people are starting to wake up with all this.

*btw Dwight mentions Jim Kelly! 

Edited by BassToMouth
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

55 minutes ago, Buddo said:

The manner in which he made the call felt petty and vengeful. He waited over 5 seconds for Marsh to walk by him, gave him a slight hip check, and threw the flag and raised his arm like he was making a 3 pointer lol. Never seen anything like that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Look no farther than this exact play to see that the NFL is now fixed to benefit what the money wants to see. I thought is was bad before, but nothing compares to the blatant corruption in 2021.

This is what the USA has become.

Thanks Joe Biden 

Truthfully Taunting [very subjective call] should just be a fine, perhaps escalating for repeat offenses.  Penalizing a team for an action by one player that has nothing to do with the play is IMHO idiotic.  Yes the players are very well paid, but perhaps a taunting penalty of $25K first offense, $100K second, and one game suspension for a third or subsequent would cure this without affecting the game being played.  Same thing with non-contact unsportmanlike. 

Who knows how many of these are because the ref is having a bad day, had a bad travel experience on the way to the game, or is under the sway of people who want to influence the game outcome [Remember Tim Donaghy in the NBA]. 

IMHO The Tre White penalty kerfuffle against Jax falls into this category.

The other thing is the subjectivity of holding calls.  If the holding on the Derrick Henry TD in the Tenn game didn't rise to the level of a flag, then that should become the new standard example for not calling holding.  Right now a ref could call holding on every single play, likely on both the offense and the defense, but they pick and choose.

Edited by BearNorth
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.