[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

True. I think the stuff that used to be allowed to slide was bumping the neighbor’s mailbox on the way back from happy hour. It’s all wrong, but there are degrees. If bumping the mailbox is Lake Erie, Ruggs doing 157 mph with double the legal BAC is the Pacific Ocean. I wish I was surprised by these extremes, but it is just FAR too common to illicit the shock that it should. Horrific tragedy. It’s hard to fathom the grief of a life lost so unexpectedly. 

He deserves to go to jail even if he had not killed someone. That's just ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Most teams have support numbers and their agent probably does as well.  A pro athlete can do better than an Udder for team or agent will send someone to take car as well.

Not sure why this happens with their many resources.  I guess ego, pride and wanting privacy gets in the way.  

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

He deserves to go to jail even if he had not killed someone. That's just ridiculous.

What do you think the odds are that this was the very first time he did something similar. People can usually get away with stuff……for a while. If he’d been caught once before this tragedy might not have happened. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Not sure why this happens with their many resources.  I guess ego, pride and wanting privacy gets in the way.  

Mostly because player does not want team to know he is out drinking to early morning but even a PS player earns enough to pay for a private driver.

There was one player who used to take limo to & from Toronto.

4 hours ago, Muppy said:

2BD might want to consider a sarcasm emoji for times like this lol

m

You’d hope this one would be obvious enough, but, well…..you obviously know how we can be here…..    🤷‍♀️

Maybe he should have smoked some weed instead. He’d be almost to his destination by now. 

Edited by Augie

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Mostly because player does not want team to know he is out drinking to early morning but even a PS player earns enough to pay for a private driver.

any respectable team would draw a hard boundary of not monitoring this service. It’s to keep guys out of the news, not to give them a hard time 

It's one thing to wreck your own life with reckless stupidity, it's another thing to murder an innocent 23 yr old woman because of it. 

It is so easy to get a cab or limo 24/7 in Vegas, what an easily avoidable tragedy.

156 mph? What an #######.

Emo and remorseful Derek Carr wishing there was something he could have done to prevent this

https://www.tmz.com/videos/2021-11-03-110321-derek-carr-1297615/

"Did I not let him know that I would be there for him at 3 am?"

I have to say that video with the raw emotion and regret in it (for something he had no personal part in) makes me think better of Derek Carr as a person and as a leader.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Emo and remorseful Derek Carr wishing there was something he could have done to prevent this

https://www.tmz.com/videos/2021-11-03-110321-derek-carr-1297615/

"Did I not let him know that I would be there for him at 3 am?"

I have to say that video with the raw emotion and regret in it (for something he had no personal part in) makes me think better of Derek Carr as a person and as a leader.

I do wonder if he’s missing the mark on the “being there for him at 3am” sentiment

this isn’t the high school kid nervous about getting in trouble making a bad choice trying to get home. 

the man decided to joy ride at the most extreme levels. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

You're correct that even a practice squad player earns enough, if not to pay for a $100/hr private driver - at least enough to pay for a taxi, Uber, or Lyft 2-4x/week.  Something like $165k/yr

It's my understanding that the NFLPA sponsors a ride service.  This is from 2013 but I haven't seen anything about them discontinuing it.

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201304/nfl-players-worry-about-privacy-when-using-car-service

"Just call the 1-800 number on the back of your NFL player I.D. card. The NFL Players Association will provide a chauffeured car to take you wherever and whenever -- that's 24/7/365 -- you need to go......

...The confidential NFLPA program -- provided in cooperation with its vendor, Corporate Security Solutions, Inc. -- offers a ride anywhere in the United States or Canada.....

The PTL has two offerings. Though the NFLPA assumes the administrative fees, the prearranged ride costs players $90 (including gratuity) per hour for a black limo sedan. The cost rises if a player chooses other vehicle options, including Escalades (the most popular choice), Hummers, stretch limos or a party bus. Players can pay with a credit card.....

The other offering is the "emergency" response or a non-scheduled pickup. If a player needs a ride or has drunk too much, he can call the number. An operator/security representative at CSSI's command center in Orlando, Fla. will answer, take their information and dispatch a sedan, costing $90 per hour, to pick up the player."

It says CSSI guarantees confidentiality, and after the ride is paid for CSSI shreds the paperwork. 

Of course, whether or not this program still exists, the player could take an UBER, Lyft, or taxi at potentially lower cost (but be subject to the honesty of the driver not sharing on social media "guess who I just transported"

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I do wonder if he’s missing the mark on the “being there for him at 3am” sentiment

this isn’t the high school kid nervous about getting in trouble making a bad choice trying to get home. 

the man decided to joy ride at the most extreme levels. 

When he was interviewed, Carr may not have been aware of some of the details - like the 156 mph speed and his BAC, or the woman in the car he struck being trapped and burnt alive.

I know initially I assumed it was more the standard "drank too much at Top Golf and the dance club we visited afterwards, and thought I could still drive home"

6 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Didn’t read all the comments, but anyone know why it was DUI as opposed to DWI? He was twice the legal limit?

overall just sad for the deceased. This was so avoidable. People make choices and each one realistically can change your entire life… 

The nomenclature differs by state.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, Augie said:

You’d hope this one would be obvious enough, but, well…..you obviously know how we can be here…..    🤷‍♀️

Maybe he should have smoked some weed instead. He’d be almost to his destination by now. 

lol yeah Augie well I read this board very literally most of the time for info and insight .... Sarcasm (I think most would agree) is misconstrued a Lot on message boards so a sarcastic *clue* would be helpful....yeah a very serious thread indeed. **cringes**

7 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Didn’t read all the comments, but anyone know why it was DUI as opposed to DWI? He was twice the legal limit?

overall just sad for the deceased. This was so avoidable. People make choices and each one realistically can change your entire life… 

hey there, I have lived in states that have labeled it DWI  **Driving while Intoxicated/Impaired**  or DUI   **Driving Under the Influence** basically the same charge different verbage. As far as I know this is true.

m

• Agree 1

150 mph and 2x the legal BAC?  This wasn’t an “accident” at all; this wasn’t “well, I had one too many beers so I’ll drive slow.”  This was a complete and utter disregard for human life.  Screw this guy and I hope he does real jail time.  At least the family of that poor woman (and dog) will have deep pockets to pursue.  Simply tragic.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When he was interviewed, Carr may not have been aware of some of the details - like the 156 mph speed and his BAC, or the woman in the car he struck being trapped and burnt alive.

I know initially I assumed it was more the standard "drank too much at Top Golf and the dance club we visited afterwards, and thought I could still drive home"

Im sure Carr was aware.  He is very much driven by his faith, and his faith centers around unconditional love and forgiveness.   

He has shown that in his comments with both Jon Gruden and Henry Ruggs. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Eyeroll 1

On 11/2/2021 at 1:41 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

is this a real question? not only 1st rd pick, but elite speed like that YES. 32 teams will have files with their own information on him, not one single team wouldnt... and if they dont, its because they believe the hip injury to be career ending

Henry Ruggs is toxic, he will never take another snap in the NFL.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Im sure Carr was aware.  He is very much driven by his faith, and his faith centers around unconditional love and forgiveness.   

He has shown that in his comments with both Jon Gruden and Henry Ruggs.

Carr's faith is very admirable, but my comments about "not being aware" were (in context) not intended to imply that the details of the situation preclude love and forgiveness (some may see it that way). 

It was to the "did he not know he could call me at 3 am?" comment which some tagged (me too) as inapplicable to this case.

Calling someone at 3 am is what you do when you know you're impaired and you don't see a "safe for you" alternative to driving yourself home (maybe you're afraid the UBER driver will Insta you and post it).

If you're racing a sportscar >150 mph at 3 am, what's a 3 am call to Carr gonna do for you?  You want him to get his Camero and join you?  You're not looking for a ride home, you're looking for an illicit thrill.

That was my point saying maybe Carr wasn't aware of all the details when he spoke.

As NoSaint (who I was replying to) said: "I do wonder if he’s missing the mark on the “being there for him at 3am” sentiment.  this isn’t the high school kid nervous about getting in trouble making a bad choice trying to get home.  the man decided to joy ride at the most extreme levels."

11 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Boy, Zay is now the starter.  Sorry if posted earlier.

He has 6 grabs this year.

So Zay gets a chance to make good on his Dad's boasts about what he could do with a real QB

• Like (+1) 2

@Hapless Bills Fan

Hap, I haven't been really paying attention since he left, but I just assumed that since departing Buffalo, even though he isn't a starter, that he was doing 30-35 per, just by inertia.

I was not expecting 33 games after his Bills career, with 40 total receptions. 

No I was not. 

You can't let him be the starter if you are the Raiders.  you can't 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

21 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Just read what the poor woman went through.  She suffered immensely.  Feel awful for her and her family. 

Indeed.  Heard screaming, pinned inside, and neighbors tried to help but were driven back by flames.  And she got to listen to her pet's cries as she died.

https://www.al.com/news/2021/11/tina-tintor-woman-killed-in-henry-ruggs-crash-was-heard-screaming-inside-burning-vehicle.html

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Indeed.  Heard screaming, pinned inside, and neighbors tried to help but were driven back by flames.  And she got to listen to her pet's cries as she died.

https://www.al.com/news/2021/11/tina-tintor-woman-killed-in-henry-ruggs-crash-was-heard-screaming-inside-burning-vehicle.html

This is painful.

This hurts to read.  

I'm going to lunch.  I feel empty in more ways than one.

9 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Raiders site says that they may resign Smoke, given their depleted wr room.  I see that Renfrow is also their punt returner, dicey to only have 3 wr active.

Smoke would make a huge amount of sense for them.  His thing is that he apparently doesn't want to grind on a scout team and not play. 

If he's in shape, which I assume he would be if he's trying to catch on -  he knows their playbook, so their need and his opportunity match up.

On 11/3/2021 at 11:55 AM, BillsfaninSB said:

I may get bashed here but I think no car in the US needs to go over 100 mph.  Plenty of torque to get out of situation, sure.  But the need to go that fast is ridiculous.

Forty years ago, when I liked to drive my bike (and car) a bit too too fast, I would have vehemently disagreed.  But with age, comes a bad back, creaky knees, and perhaps just a little bit of wisdom.  

We don't have autobahns in the U.S.   Our roads have speed limits.  Why do we need cars that go faster than the law allows? 

Saw a number of comments asking for empathy for Ruggs because he’s a 22 year old kid who made a terrible life changing choice. I struggle with that. The dude had more options than the average schmoe to do the right thing. Anyone can call an Uber or a taxi. He also had the NFLPA 24/7 transport service at his disposal. He could’ve called a teammate, a coach, a friend, hell, a friggin’ fan would’ve helped him. He knew better. He knew he had these options and he still made the decision to get behind the wheel and drive. I don’t care what he came from, I don’t care if the money and the mild celebrity status changed him. It’s not that effin’ hard to understand the four simple words of “Don’t drink and drive.” I can’t empathize with that and unlike Carr, I got no love for someone who needlessly ended someone’s life because they wanted to be a hot shot and race around in their fancy new car. 156 mph in a 40 mph residential zone on a street with a high number of traffic lights is ridiculously absurd. All my love and empathy is for the victim and her family. She’s gone because this dude was a jack@$$. His actions are inexcusable and indefensible. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have a harsh comment or  two about this needless Disaster.

Nothing nice to say towards Henry. Lets talk again in twenty years.

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

This is painful.

This hurts to read.  

I'm going to lunch.  I feel empty in more ways than one.

yep. agreed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Ruggs has got plenty of worries for sure.  I suspect any assets he has will wind up going to the victim's family, not to mention the legal bills he will be running up. His partner will have huge medical bills, and since he was [allegedly] speeding and DUI, his auto insurance company may have language in their policy that gets them off the hook. 

24 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Saw a number of comments asking for empathy for Ruggs because he’s a 22 year old kid who made a terrible life changing choice. I struggle with that. The dude had more options than the average schmoe to do the right thing. Anyone can call an Uber or a taxi. He also had the NFLPA 24/7 transport service at his disposal. He could’ve called a teammate, a coach, a friend, hell, a friggin’ fan would’ve helped him. He knew better. He knew he had these options and he still made the decision to get behind the wheel and drive. I don’t care what he came from, I don’t care if the money and the mild celebrity status changed him. It’s not that effin’ hard to understand the four simple words of “Don’t drink and drive.” I can’t empathize with that and unlike Carr, I got no love for someone who needlessly ended someone’s life because they wanted to be a hot shot and race around in their fancy new car. 156 mph in a 40 mph residential zone on a street with a high number of traffic lights is ridiculously absurd. All my love and empathy is for the victim and her family. She’s gone because this dude was a jack@$$. His actions are inexcusable and indefensible. 

Yep. For every one of these guys, there are hundreds of other NFL players who made the right choice and didn't drink and drive or go 156 in a 40. No excuses can be made.

Everyone should simply feel his shame. Sadness and shame. I guess that may fall under empathy, by definition

You also have to feel for the good Samaritans who tried to rescue her.  The found her breathing and tried to extricate her but she was stuck.   then they had to helplessly watch as the fire consumed her.

They will help get this fool his 20 years.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

You also have to feel for the good Samaritans who tried to rescue her.  The found her breathing and tried to extricate her but she was stuck.   then they had to helplessly watch as the fire consumed her.

They will help get this fool his 20 years.

Those terrible moments will haunt them for the rest of their lives. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Ruggs has got plenty of worries for sure.  I suspect any assets he has will wind up going to the victim's family, not to mention the legal bills he will be running up. His partner will have huge medical bills, and since he was [allegedly] speeding and DUI, his auto insurance company may have language in their policy that gets them off the hook. 

Unfortunately, the majority of the assets are likely to go to the lawyers, the victim's family will get some.

I had no idea that auto insurance companies could deny payment for DUI and speeding - can anyone here confirm or deny?

12 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Those terrible moments will haunt them for the rest of their lives. 

Yes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.