Devin Singletary clocked 20+

Da webster guy

• Da webster guy changed the title to Devin Singletary clocked 20+

Yup, before the season started a lot of people here said he could not remake himself as Josh did for himself, well, it appears those folk are wrong, good on Singletary for all the hard work he put in this past off season, ( yes DBs speed camp) it is already paying off.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, before the season started a lot of noisy people here said he could not remake himself as Josh did for himself, well, it appears those folk are wrong, good on Singletary for all the hard work he put in this off season, it is already paying off.

Go Bills!!!

To be fair to those people, me included, I feel the % of players that are able to “remake” themselves at the NFL level is pretty low.  

Sure, lots of players improve aspects of their game.  But to improve a trait such as speed, is more difficult to do.  “Bruising goal line RBs rarely transform into what we would call a “speed back”.  Devin was a shifty back that has added the element of speed to his arsenal.  It’s rare imo. 

Standing ovation for Motor.  He won me over.  

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

To be fair to those people, me included, I feel the % of players that are able to “remake” themselves at the NFL level is pretty low.  

Sure, lots of players improve aspects of their game.  But to improve a trait such as speed, is more difficult to do.  “Bruising goal line RBs rarely transform into what we would call a “speed back”.  Devin was a shifty back that has added the element of speed to his arsenal.  It’s rare imo. 

It was more so that some poo pooed him even trying to improve himself, that group was quite vocal in there general disdain of Singletary as a RB, to me it was short sighted on their behalf, and proved to be so. 

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

That’s the adjustment the offense needed/needs to make.  Quick hitting runs for 5-6 yards a pop.  If we have a RB that can run hard through the LOS, the D/Line won’t be able to pin their ears back or the LB’s will be forced to play closer to LOS.  It opens up that 10-25 yard range where Josh is deadly.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

That’s the adjustment the offense needed/needs to make.  Quick hitting runs for 5-6 yards a pop.  If we have a RB that can run hard through the LOS, the D/Line won’t be able to pin their ears back or the LB’s will be forced to play closer to LOS.  It opens up that 10-25 yard range where Josh is deadly.  

This^^^
mixing in an effective run game will always help the passing game be more effective, which in turn makes the run game more effective, which in turn makes the pass game more effective…, hello Brian Dabol…, 😁

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

OK, for our collective education, McCourty, who caught him at the goal line, ran a 4.3 at his pro day in 2009.  Rookie Jevon Holland ran a 4.47 at his pro day and he did not gain any ground on Devin.  I do not know how much running with a football would slow him down but he seems objectively faster than his 4.66 time at the combine. 

It's odd to me that all the combine and pro day testing we hear about at draft time is such a big story but we never hear of it again during the rest of their NFL careers.  Do the Bills have guys like Devin and AJ retest to see how their off season work has affected their athletic testing?  Wouldn't they want to monitor their progress?  We never hear any chatter of it so it's likely they do not do it.  I asked Joe Marino about that for his pod and he said that he never hears anything of that sort either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Considering the fastest clocked speed in the NFL is over 23 mph. No, not really close. Matt Breida was clocked at 22+ mph in 2019. 

Singletary is about 15% slower than the fastest guy in the league. If the EZ was another 5 to 10 yards, he would have been caught from behind. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He didn't change that much. He always had an excellent burst, maybe he cleaned-up his gate going longer a little bit.

He always was good enough.

What he always needed was some plays, some called runs, for him. I think he still needs that. Daboll doesn't spend enough time on the run game, imho.....Our run plays often look clunky and two defenders meet Devin at the line and Devin is blamed. We need Josh to play well under center and run some offense that way and we need some better looking run plays when we're in the shotgun....

The good news is our backs (plural) are fine, they always were fine.

Go Bills!

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

Considering the fastest clocked speed in the NFL is over 23 mph. No, not really close. Matt Breida was clocked at 22+ mph in 2019. 

Singletary is about 15% slower than the fastest guy in the league. If the EZ was another 5 to 10 yards, he would have been caught from behind. 

oh well. Good thing it doesn't really matter much, especially when running the ball is just utilized for balance on the Bills. He'd still be a pretty good RB (plenty capable for THIS offense) and improved over last season.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, before the season started a lot of people here said he could not remake himself as Josh did for himself, well, it appears those folk are wrong, good on Singletary for all the hard work he put in this past off season, ( yes DBs speed camp) it is already paying off.

Go Bills!!!

My names Nate, I've been hating on Devin for about 18mos now. It's affected my friends, family, work, I've officially got 2 weeks without any hate. One day, one game at a time. Time for dinner over here! Delicious 

eating-crow.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Next Gen stat of the game: Bills RB Devin Singletary reached a speed of 20.29 mph on his 46-yard TD run.

So does that make him a "home run hitter" now Beaner?   Whaddya know he was right here all along.....

No, that doesn't make him  a home run hitter.

I was waiting for him to get caught from behind on the entire run, and yet equally noting that he was moving pretty quickly.  He did a great job to get to the finish line.

Not close to elite speed, at least measured by NFL standards, though.

Remember, elite NFL speed is basically "elite world class track and field" speed.

There is so much talent on an NFL football field it's scary.

If only a fraction of those guys, when children, would play SOCCER!

USA would never lose a World Cup, ever.  And I'm not exaggerating.  

My dream is to have a  USA national soccer team with these freak WR types as our forwards.  Guys who are 6'3 and 6'4, big, strong dudes, with world class speed.

They would out-talent the rest of the world easily.

Sorry for the digression; I drank a lot of coffee.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

To be fair I don't think he's that much faster , definitely more explosive

he had some longer runs where he definitely tops 18-19 mph

His explosiveness is definitely improved which lets him hit his top speed faster.. if you get to max speed in 7 strides instead of 12 , you're playing faster 

HIs top speed improved a bit but I think his ability to accelerate through a hole has been noticable... Which helps a RB 

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

He didn't change that much. He always had an excellent burst, maybe he cleaned-up his gate going longer a little bit.

He always was good enough.

What he always needed was some plays, some called runs, for him. I think he still needs that. Daboll doesn't spend enough time on the run game, imho.....Our run plays often look clunky and two defenders meet Devin at the line and Devin is blamed. We need Josh to play well under center and run some offense that way and we need some better looking run plays when we're in the shotgun....

The good news is our backs (plural) are fine, they always were fine.

Go Bills!

Singletary has improved. He’s faster and quicker this year.  

yes, he always had good burst….but his long speed wasn’t there.  His long speed has improved. It’s clear to me.

his baby sized hands leads to fumbling.  Something…not sure what, leads him to drop passes.  His height can also be a negative in the pass game.  

I’m never one to criticize a RB for getting him for a loss of the OL gets blown up.  I’m one of the biggest OL critics there is.  There is such a thing as being able to critique a back fairly.  Not everyone does.  And if you’re saying that he was always this fast, you’re not critiquing him fairly.  He is faster.  There is no doubt.  Thanks to his hard work and dedication.  Somethings that he may have been lacking last season….as even the coach said, conditioning was a problem for him last year.  

He’s improved this season.  Don’t take that away from him in order to try and bring down the posters that weren’t fans of his last year.  He’s not the same back. If he was, I wouldn’t have been toting his praises this training camp.  I would’ve been complaining about how he should be our inactive Rb weekly.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

To be fair I don't think he's that much faster , definitely more explosive

he had some longer runs where he definitely tops 18-19 mph

His explosiveness is definitely improved which lets him hit his top speed faster.. if you get to max speed in 7 strides instead of 12 , you're playing faster 

HIs top speed improved a bit but I think his ability to accelerate through a hole has been noticable... Which helps a RB 

seems to me that we agree 💯.  He’s faster.  

My point…..he’s obviously a better RB this year.  His hard work = him being better and not being hated on by fans that were hoping for a better RB. We have a better RB, only it’s the same RB.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

seems to me that agree 💯.  He’s faster.  

My point…..he’s obviously a better RB this

year.  His hard work = him being better and not being hated on by fans that were hoping for a better RB. We have a better RB, only it’s the same RB.  

He's very talented 

Besides the bruising size or blazing speed he has everything you need in a NFL back 

Vision, balance , breaks tackles , stiff arm , moves the pile , elusive, doesn't shy from contact 

RBs have short shelf life's , but he's got three or four years of being a tough tough tackle before some wear and tear

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Mango said:

I assume you are talking about peak game speed.  Henry Ruggs ran a 4.27 at the combine, That's 19.2 mph over the entire 40 yards.  If Diggs ran a 4.66, That's 17.6mph, about 8% slower [not 15%] in terms of MPH. In a 40 yard run, Ruggs at top speed would beat Motor by about 11 feet.  The DB was coming at an angle, which means he had farther to run to catch Motor.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

He's very talented 

Besides the bruising size or blazing speed he has everything you need in a NFL back 

Vision, balance , breaks tackles , stiff arm , moves the pile , elusive, doesn't shy from contact 

RBs have short shelf life's , but he's got three or four years of being a tough tough tackle before some wear and tear

Agreed.  I loved the pick.  Really liked him in college.  I just thought that he was a strange compliment to Moss.  For the offense that we have, I thought a home run hitting rb would be a better fit.  Whether we got rid of or benched Moss or Motor, I was hoping that we would’ve had a faster rb in our 2 back lineup.  Most RBs get slower over time.  He’s gotten faster.  I didn’t expect him to, but I’m glad he did.  I’m a huge motor fan again.  I’m eager to see more of him.

but I CAN’T WAIT to see Aj Epeen-esa destroy whoever happens to be in his path. Clearly derailing the thread temporarily thanks to my man crush on the this kid.  I love the fact that he’s just as monstrous from the left as the right.  We should have him lined up against the most physically weak OT.  Ok, man crush rant over.

13 hours ago, Mango said:

Sooooo he's only good for 50 yards chunks then and Tyreek hill is 10% faster.   Got it.

• Haha (+1) 1

I liked our game plan this week against Miami.  Targeted runs balancing between Motor and Moss.  It was obvious motor is in much better shape and once he gets through the hole has probably always had speed.  What Kve noticed is he is always moving forward and decisive about hitting the hole.  The line opened some lanes for both guys.

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I noticed in the preseason he looked faster. He did something right in the off season. He looks like a 4.4 guy now. 

that rookie Miami safety #8 was a 4.46 guy and didn’t close any ground on him. 

Angle , acceleration, effort, awareness all play a roll in stuff like that  

Lynch , Henry etc outrun faster defensive backs

LeSean McCoy was a 4.47 40 guy ... Singletary still doesn't have that type speed

He almost got caught on that TD run

4.50 guys runs 20 mph in the league .. Josh Allen has clocked at 20 mph in a game

It might not seem fast with all the 4.3s.. but a muscle hamster like Singletary running a 4.5 is a hard tackle... It's certainly still fast 

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Angle , acceleration, effort, awareness all play a roll in stuff like that  

Lynch , Henry etc outrun faster defensive backs

LeSean McCoy was a 4.47 40 guy ... Singletary still doesn't have that type speed

He almost got caught on that TD run

4.50 guys runs 20 mph in the league .. Josh Allen has clocked at 20 mph in a game

It might not seem fast with all the 4.3s.. but a muscle hamster like Singletary running a 4.5 is a hard tackle... It's certainly still fast 

As someone already pointed out he was almost caught by a 4.3 corner who took an angle.  Nobody is confusing him with a 4.3 guy. The safety ran behind him full sprint and never closed distance. That’s a good measure. 

LeSean had nearly the same profile as motor, quick, twitchy burst, top gear wasn’t pulling him away from anyone. 

Devin clearly looks faster this year. I saw it on a run to the corner in the preseason. 

With specific resistance training you can add speed in an off season. 

23 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

OK, for our collective education, McCourty, who caught him at the goal line, ran a 4.3 at his pro day in 2009.  Rookie Jevon Holland ran a 4.47 at his pro day and he did not gain any ground on Devin.  I do not know how much running with a football would slow him down but he seems objectively faster than his 4.66 time at the combine. 

It's odd to me that all the combine and pro day testing we hear about at draft time is such a big story but we never hear of it again during the rest of their NFL careers.  Do the Bills have guys like Devin and AJ retest to see how their off season work has affected their athletic testing?  Wouldn't they want to monitor their progress?  We never hear any chatter of it so it's likely they do not do it.  I asked Joe Marino about that for his pod and he said that he never hears anything of that sort either.

From what I’ve read, a good amount of performance in the 40 is due to training for the 40 - specifically around getting off the blocks. One of the reasons people think the “2nd year jump” is real is that pre-rookies spend their pre-draft offseason training for the combine instead of training for football. So I don’t think there’s a lot to be gained from retesting, because it would just incentivize guys to waste training time on the 40. 

Singletary is definitely not a home-run hitter compared to someone like Raheem Mostert. But he looks faster this year, and that’s probably the difference between a 28 yard run that puts us in FG range, vs a 46 yard TD run that would’ve maxed out around 50 yards. 

In other words, Singletary is still a guy who can be caught from behind. But it looks like it’ll take an extra 15 yards or so to catch him. That’s good!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

I think some of the critics don't realize how spoiled we Bills fans have been at RB. There has been a LOT of elite ones in the drought. Plus Incognito sure opened holes for Shady. Singletarry and Moss are good, just not elite. But what team is stacked all across the board? They are good enough, no doubt.

And again, great numbers by both Singletarry and Moss this last Sunday, and Feliciano had a GREAT game after maybe his worst performance. All good stuff!

• Like (+1) 1