Week 3: WFT at Bills

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I like to call them the artists formerly known as the Hogettes…. but in all seriousness they have a very good dline which will generate pressure but their back 7 is suspect this is a Josh game where plays can be made downfield…as to the other side Heinecke was undrafted for a reason and he’s not the biggest guy their skill talent is ok get some pressure and he should fold like an accordion 

Heinicke says he should be the starter now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/17/taylor-heinicke-believes-he-has-earned-the-right-to-start-the-rest-of-the-season/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/this-taylor-heinicke-stat-after-first-3-starts-for-wft-will-blow-your-mind/ar-AAODWED

Through his first three NFL starts as the quarterback for the Washington Football Team, Taylor Heinicke has accomplished something historic. 

Heinicke has completed 93 passes in the three games (including Washington's postseason bout against the eventual champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers) he's started under center, which is more than anyone in the history of the league through three starts, according to Washington. 

The fascinating record comes on passing attempts total, good for a 67.7% completion percentage and a 103.9 QBR while suited up in Washington. Heinicke, 28, has come a long way since being Ron Rivera's backup quarterback in Carolina. 

For anyone who wondered: Heineke graduated in 2015, but bounced around the league and wasn't signed by the Panthers until 2018.  So he and McDermott do not overlap there at all.  He was basically out of football in 2019 and until December 2020, when WFT rang him up out of engineering classes at Old Dominion.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Of course, we aren't undefeated and the Demise of Josh Allen as a Top QB has been widely predicted.

We'll see in a couple weeks.

Has it? 

For every person saying he will regress there was another saying he's a superstar and long time MVP candidate

8 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

when will washington pick a damn team name. The WFT is stupid and annoys me. It was funny at first, but now its just absurd to keep.

It’s already been reported many times. Next season. Washington FO knows what the name will be, but there’s legal issues regarding some guy who bought the naming rights to all the team names being tossed around publically. When the name is finally revealed, most will say they thought so. Gotta get around this one guys’ little game.

in the meantime, I’m having fun with WhatTheF***!

35 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Has it? 

For every person saying he will regress there was another saying he's a superstar and long time MVP candidate

Haven't heard that last recently, but if you're watching the media and paying more attention to the pundits, I'll accept your better judgement.

It's certainly been loudly predicted here by a good handful of chaps.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Haven't heard that last recently, but if you're watching the media and paying more attention to the pundits, I'll accept your better judgement.

Are you talking the last few weeks or off season predictions of failure? 

I'm sure some people have hopped off the bandwagon after the first couple weeks.. pundits are fickle after all

But after last season there was tons of people singing his praises as the next big time NFL star 

Even the announcers in the first few weeks referred to him as a star 

There's always doubters and the detractors... It's best for Josh to not listen to them and just focus on his game 

I don't really listen to negative sports talk stuff... I'm sure that there are some pundits ripping him but I don't hear it

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ive actually been surprised by the national media, in admittedly the little bit I see at the gym.   I rarely watch ESPN or NFLN except for GMFB occasionally. 

In my anecdotal evidence I’ve seen a lot of “You know Josh Allen is gonna bring it, but that defense….” or some iteration of that in relation to our game against Miami.  

Josh Allen has in fact, not brought it yet, but the national media doesn’t seem to be jumping on him that I’ve seen. 

I think Heinike is going to have a rough outing. This Bills defense seems primed like never before. 

Cant see them moving the ball easily...and turnovers will be out there, espcially if we get up early.

I want to see how the OL handles the DL of Wash. That is the big matchup. I see us having an answer even if those guys have good games. The key is keeping turnovers down. 

Ultimatley, the trend is we do win vs top Defenses, though not often pretty. Washington is not playing like a top defense, and seemed to have breakdowns vs mobile QB in Jones. Jones ran wild.

Unlike the Chiefs and Pitt i dont see the playmakers in the 2ndary or LB corps for WA so i see outlets and big plays.

I like the Bills by a couple scores.

Say 28 -14, Buff.

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Ive actually been surprised by the national media, in admittedly the little bit I see at the gym.   I rarely watch ESPN or NFLN except for GMFB occasionally. 

In my anecdotal evidence I’ve seen a lot of “You know Josh Allen is gonna bring it, but that defense….” or some iteration of that in relation to our game against Miami.  

Josh Allen has in fact, not brought it yet, but the national media doesn’t seem to be jumping on him that I’ve seen. 

I suspect that it's because while he hasn't played close to his best of 2020 he has been solid.  And when they look at highlights of his TD passes they see things like the great throw to Davis against Pitt and the spectacular throw to Diggs against Miami.

National media has actually not been critical of Josh from what I've seen, basically saying that he'll figure it out (and I agree). Even with last game being not great from Josh, he was 2 plays away from having 4 total touchdowns. That one run down at the inch line, paired with 2 goal line runs from Moss that in previous years would be Josh's for the taking. Put up a good game against WFT and any doubt goes away 

4 minutes ago, wiseman3 said:

National media has actually not been critical of Josh from what I've seen, basically saying that he'll figure it out (and I agree). Even with last game being not great from Josh, he was 2 plays away from having 4 total touchdowns. That one run down at the inch line, paired with 2 goal line runs from Moss that in previous years would be Josh's for the taking. Put up a good game against WFT and any doubt goes away 

He was about a foot away from 2 passing TDs 1 rushing TD.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

The same thing happened at halftime of the Miami game. He only had 62 yards passing and instead of them talking about his struggles they talked about the awesome pass play he had to diggs for the TD.

I believe most still believe in him. While he is a little off, he’ll figure it out, he’s a great QB.

Most importantly, he’s our QB and you stick with him through the highs and lows. Even Kelly, who was a proven commodity because he went to four Super Bowls, had slumps. I remember one time where they lost to the Buccaneers 10-5. The Buccaneers back then were a horrible franchise and were never really that good until Gruden took over.

Then again, there were people back then clamoring for Kelly to be benched for Reich to start instead 🤦🤷🏼. Expecting greatness or even consistency every single game and every single quarter is just not realistic. Even the greats go through stretches, sometimes even long stretches, of slumps.

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Hienicke vs our defense?  I expect Buffalo to hold them under 14.  The offense should expect a similar look to Pittsburgh.  The Giants put it on them.  I think Allen could dominate them.  Their line is concerning though.  31-10 I think is the game.

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why does everyone think Heinicke sucks? He passes the eye test, he's a gamer, a fighter, and he has great stats. His team believes in him as well. This isn't some scrub quarterback.

He is not a top 20 qb.  He is serviceable.  With good defense and a run game he will be alright.  Vs a pass rush and good secondary I expect him to struggle like all young qbs.

54 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I suspect that it's because while he hasn't played close to his best of 2020 he has been solid.  And when they look at highlights of his TD passes they see things like the great throw to Davis against Pitt and the spectacular throw to Diggs against Miami.

It's frustrating. Both of Josh's td throws in Miami were spectacular. But this early season accuracy/vision issue is odd. He's just got to settle the hell down and not think he has to save the world with hero ball. Check the ball down and use an improved RB. The deeper routes will be there as the season goes.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's frustrating. Both of Josh's td throws in Miami were spectacular. But this early season accuracy/vision issue is odd. He's just got to settle the hell down and not think he has to save the world with hero ball. Check the ball down and use an improved RB. The deeper routes will be there as the season goes.

I'm not sure it's odd for a guy that wants to push the ball downfield.  Those type of QB's are going to have a higher variability in their percent completion average then the check-down Charlies.  A couple of games will see them 50 - 55% followed by a couple in the 70% range.

53 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why does everyone think Heinicke sucks? He passes the eye test, he's a gamer, a fighter, and he has great stats. His team believes in him as well. This isn't some scrub quarterback.

It's a valid question.  Obviously the guy has something, or he wouldn't be sticking around on the fringes of the NFL for 6 years while new fringe talent continually comes out every season.  OTOH, it also seems like we regularly get "fringe talents" like Gardner Minshew who understand the game and have heart and guts and "ball out" until the league gets a bit of film on them, then they fade off a bit and the team decides "he's not gonna take us over the top" and moves on.

Or to put it another way, he IS a scrub QB, but that doesn't mean he sucks.  He obviously understands the game and can play, and we take him lightly at our peril.

48 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Love Allen, but going to play devil's advocate on this one.  He was also a few dropped passes away from having 2 passing TDS and 3 Ints.    

Both are true.  He made a couple of Very Bad Decisions.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He's had 2-3 decent games. I don't think he's terrible. But we'd also be fools to think he's Tom Brady. 

It's entirely possible he is a scrub. There is not enough film yet. 

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The throw to McKenzie was awful. Was an easy INT… just stared him down the whole way and threw it extremely late. 

McKenzie looked like the first read on the play, and he looked open at the outset.   To me it appeared that Allen came off his first read, went through his progression slowly, and then came back to McKenzie late, he also threw a bad ball.

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He's a 28 yr old journeyman backup QB on his 4th team. He had a really nice game in the playoffs last year. It's fun to hype up guys like this because they're easy to root for, but they rarely turn into anything at this age.

He's a flawed QB and Washington is a flawed team. I know a lot of fans are going to hype the WFT into world-beaters, but there's no excuse to lose a home game to these guys.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It does bug me that when ranking D statistics such as Points Against that Special Teams and Offensive scores against are included.

If you are going to have all these statistics just use the points against the actual defense.

I mean how hard can that be?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1