Star is OUT for Steelers game

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

There you are, our resident weather vane pointing in the exact wrong direction at all times.

Star’s opt out last year froze his salary and limited their flexibility.  He sat out and didn’t even get vaccinated!  Now he’s back but has a soft tissue boo boo and is once again clogging up space - under the salary cap, not on the field.  On a per-dollar basis no one has been worse for the Bills than Star over the past three years.  No one.

He has to be frustrating McDermott 

• Like (+1) 1

Star improves the team. I get annoyed when people compare him to Vea. It's like comparing Oliver to Donald. Boohoo. Stop crying, support your team.

What I will say is that he hasn't been a dependable guy. It does annoy me that he opted out then didn't get vaccinated. It does annoy me that McD and Beane have more  loyalty for former players than they should.

• Like (+1) 4

So the guy has basically a year and a half to prepare for this game and he misses it for a calf injury?  He is soft and doughy unless it is a full tear.  Great players play hurt.  Ready to see this mistake cast off to the curb and move on with a quality NT.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Seoulofstone said:

Star improves the team. I get annoyed when people compare him to Vea. It's like comparing Oliver to Donald. Boohoo. Stop crying, support your team.

What I will say is that he hasn't been a dependable guy. It does annoy me that he opted out then didn't get vaccinated. It does annoy me that McD and Beane have more  loyalty for former players than they should.

IMO, you cant count COVID year as him not being dependable. He made a health/business decision, that was what it was. 

He is missing his first ever game as a Bill on Sunday. otherwise he has started in every game that hes been on the roster. That is THE DEFINITION of dependable. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

There you are, our resident weather vane pointing in the exact wrong direction at all times.

Star’s opt out last year froze his salary and limited their flexibility.  He sat out and didn’t even get vaccinated!  Now he’s back but has a soft tissue boo boo and is once again clogging up space - under the salary cap, not on the field.  On a per-dollar basis no one has been worse for the Bills than Star over the past three years.  No one.

The soft tissue boo boo made me laugh out loud

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

He took a real beating at home...you know...cutting the lawn, cleaning the garage..etc

He must be exhausted from his last played game 2 years ago. Never fails, once most players get paid, their level of motivation and production drops. You can set your watch to it. Draft a DT early next year.

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

Edmunds better bring his Chris Kelsay lunch bucket to work on Sunday because he is going to be busy.

Busy getting drowned in the wash.

• Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

IMO, you cant count COVID year as him not being dependable. He made a health/business decision, that was what it was. 

He is missing his first ever game as a Bill on Sunday. otherwise he has started in every game that hes been on the roster. That is THE DEFINITION of dependable. 

I like Star. I remember him making a stop on fourth and short in the playoffs against the Texans.

The issue I have is that after taking the year off (a year when he.could have made a difference), he gives the lie to that by not getting vaccinated. That doesn't engender sympathy from anyone. Either play or retire.

He skips voluntary workouts, is conspicuous by his absence, barely plays in preseason. Now misses the first game.

The Bills have a lot invested in him and his absence creates a domino effect on what other players responsibilities are on the DLine. 

As far as what he did two years ago well that's what it is. On the one hand he doesn't get enough credit but on the other he is highly paid for his position so it's reasonable to have expectations. But he needs to show up this year.

I don't have time for giving him a free pass.

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

I like Star. I remember him making a stop on fourth and short in the playoffs against the Texans.

The issue I have is that after taking the year off (a year when he.could have made a difference), he gives the lie to that by not getting vaccinated. That doesn't engender sympathy from anyone. Either play or retire.

The Bills have a lot invested in him and his absence creates a domino effect on what other players responsibilities are on the DLine. 

As far as what he did two years ago well that's what it is. On the one hand he doesn't get enough credit but on the other he is highly paid for his position so it's reasonable to have expectations. But he needs to show up this year.

I don't have time for giving him a free pass.

I don't see his vaccination status being related to taking a year off due to the uncertainty surrounding COVID. It is possible to not want to catch covid but also not being sold on the effects of the vaccine. Also, "Catching covid" was not the only reason for players sitting last year out. 

Edited by PaattMaann
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Would love it, but doubtful he is still there at #32.

If the rest of his season goes like last Saturday, he could be top-10.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

51 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Tremaine Edmunds and the Bills need a Vita Vea. I would’ve targeted Quinton Bohanna late in last years draft. There’s Jordan Davis and Travis Jones in upcoming draft though

I really liked Alim McNeill out NC State last year grrrrrrrrr. LOL mind as well go get our fat IDL next year

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I don't see his vaccination status being related to taking a year off due to the uncertainty surrounding COVID. It is possible to not want to catch covid but also not being sold on the effects of the vaccine. Also, "Catching covid" was not the only reason for players sitting last year out. 

That's fine. I'm really not interested in making this a covid discussion. How about this. He takes up a lot of cap space for a 1 tech and plays in the center of the trenches. His absence whatever the reason wasn't planned for and has repurcussions. He isn't liked by the fanbase. This will be the 20th consecutive game he has been absent. Not blame laying. But he needs to get himself right and be on the field. I hope he does.

Edited by Seoulofstone

22 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Bette start najee Harris in fantasy lol

I was upset when he slid to me.  I cant bench the dude week 1, and i normally sit dudes playing against buffalo so i can enjoy my game normally lol i dont like when i catch myself mentally cheating on my team!  even when its a "well if someone had to score atleast it was _______". fantasy football ho

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

That's fine. I'm really not interested in making this a covid discussion. How about this. He takes up a lot of cap space for a 1 tech and plays in the center of the trenches. His absence whatever the reason wasn't planned for and has repurcussions. He isn't liked by the fanbase. This will be the 20th consecutive game he has been absent. Not blame laying. But he needs to get himself right and be on the field. I hope he does.

Agreed, Im not interested in that either. Thats why I originally just said "it is what it is" and pointed out that he has never missed a game as a Bill until Sunday. 

Star isnt even a top 30 paid DT in the NFL. In fact, Vernon Butler makes more money than he does this season. 

He is a workhorse of a DT who eats up blockers and frees up his fellow linemen and linebackers to make plays, as that is his role in McD's defense.

The hate this dude gets by some of our fan base (NOT everyone as you say above) is shameful. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Agreed, Im not interested in that either. Thats why I originally just said "it is what it is" and pointed out that he has never missed a game as a Bill until Sunday. 

Star isnt even a top 30 paid DT in the NFL. In fact, Vernon Butler makes more money than he does this season. 

He is a workhorse of a DT who eats up blockers and frees up his fellow linemen and linebackers to make plays, as that is his role in McD's defense.

The hate this dude gets by some of our fan base (NOT everyone as you say above) is shameful. 

Lol “workhorse.”  Sure, a workhorse who never shows up to work.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, jletha said:

So many of us were hoping (maybe too much) for this guys return to free up Oliver and Edmunds and others to play more to their strengths. I was always worried when "We get Star back..." was always such a key feature for how we were going to improve our run D because he hadnt played in a year.

And now here we are...

According to the depth chart, they've decided that Zimmer can play 1TDT.  I don't think Oliver is going to be asked to play 1TDT this season.  The guy who is going to be put out of position again (if any) is Butler

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

that plan, however, is mere hope.  Would have liked an actual player who is ready for the position Day 1, not someone who has to beef up.  

He said that he had "beefed up" not that he had to beef up.  Reading comprehension problems?

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Hopefully we’ll be up so far and so fast, the Steelers run game becomes an afterthought and our new hires just get to tee off on Ben. 

That's be great, but I think it's just as likely that Butler and Tomlin have something cooked up for us that it takes us some time to work out

I'm actually more concerned about the lack of Sanders and what's going on with a foot injury that has apparently hampered him all through preseason.

• Like (+1) 1

McBeane is definitely not without flaws.

Relying on Star as a solution to a major hole we had at DT was a very poor decision, IMO.

DT and CB depth was a major issue last season, it's really hard to be understand why they did nothing to address it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, Process said:

Relying on Star as a solution to a major hole we had at DT was a very poor decision, IMO.

DT and CB depth was a major issue last season, it's really hard to be understand why they did nothing to address it. 

His name is Harrison Phillips. 

Plus, what were they gonna do, sign another DT and keep 12 dlineman? lol. 

Edited by PaattMaann

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's be great, but I think it's just as likely that Butler and Tomlin have something cooked up for us that it takes us some time to work out

I'm actually more concerned about the lack of Sanders and what's going on with a foot injury that has apparently hampered him all through preseason.

For me, it’s Matt Canada. He’s an unknown, but his college offenses are a HEAVY misdirection run game.  

Going to need a lot of eye discipline if his history is any indication.  

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

After watching Vita Vea last night, Star is even worse of a signing...was likely never going to have very much impact on the team...

Ooohhh kaaaayy.....

You're comparing two very different players, in different schemes, at different points in their career.

How much do you think Vea is going to sign for?

Star is like the 25th highest paid DT for average salary.

16 minutes ago, Process said:

Beane said they considered it, but Wallace's and Jackson's offseason performance convinced them they wouldn't get a better guy off the market at value.

Do we really know better?

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

According to the depth chart, they've decided that Zimmer can play 1TDT.  I don't think Oliver is going to be asked to play 1TDT this season.  The guy who is going to be put out of position again (if any) is Butler

Zimmer would be out of position their too, but they like his versatility.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

the lack of a good backup beyond "hope" is/was annoying.  We "hope" Star is back, then "hope" he is impactful.  Same for Harry.  It's not a good plan.  Look at a player like Vea on Tampa last night.  Even without that guys athletic ability to disrupt the pass, he makes a huge impact in run D.  We have nothing like that.  

So what are you saying? 

When we had the draft resources together to get up into the top half of the first round in 2018, do you we should have taken Vita Vea instead of Josh Allen, kind of like Cleveland drafting Myles Garrett in 2017 when Patrick Mahomes and Desean Watson (heck even Mitch Trubisky) were available?