Tyrod Taylor named Texans starting QB vs. Jags Week 1

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

No idea why Tyrod gets so much hate around here. Just because he wasn’t a game changing franchise QB doesn’t mean he deserves scorn for ending a massive playoff drought.

The hate is people hyping him being nothing more than a journeyman QB. He's alit like David Garrard, plays low risk ball but not good enough to lead you anywhere alone. I mean how many times were the Bills behind less than 7 points late in the 4th and knew we had no chance with Tyrod to win. He's an above average backup but not a guy I want playing more than  2 or 3 games a season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

My biggest beef against Tuhrod is that for three years here (and 4 years in Bmore before that, SEVEN YEARS!), he was Tie-rod.  After he left here, he finally got the balls to tell people his name was pronounced Tuh-rod.  Dude had no balls on or off the field.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

Dude was an awesome runner. He made some gamebreaking plays with his legs. Based on what I saw in preseason, he's still the same thrower. No change there.

I'm a conversation about Cam Newton, I think it was NFLN analysts who were saying Cam never improved his passing skills enough to remain a starter after his legs degraded. I agree with that and Tyrod is in the same boat. He's a good backup but he's not going to last much longer even as a backup unless he improves his passing.

Regardless, he's had a long-enough career by relative standards.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

No idea why Tyrod gets so much hate around here. Just because he wasn’t a game changing franchise QB doesn’t mean he deserves scorn for ending a massive playoff drought.

Probably because he stinks and passed for 130 yards on 37 attempts wasting a Bills playoff appearance 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

My biggest beef against Tuhrod is that for three years here (and 4 years in Bmore before that, SEVEN YEARS!), he was Tie-rod.  After he left here, he finally got the balls to tell people his name was pronounced Tuh-rod.  Dude had no balls on or off the field.

Congratulations!  If that is your Biggest Beef against the man, you have just won the Award of Merit for Nothingburger

I'm sure when he was the backup QB in Baltimore, everyone was crowding his locker all the time, asking him how to pronounce his name 🙄

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Probably because he stinks and passed for 130 yards on 37 attempts wasting a Bills playoff appearance 

True, Dat.  If he'd passed for 188 yds on 37 attempts it woulda been SOoooooOOOooo much better!

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

He also had a winning record in the 3 years he played here and was a contributor in ending the longest playoff drought in the teams history…

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

He also had a winning record in the 3 years he played here and was a contributor in ending the longest playoff drought in the teams history…

let’s pretend he doesn’t suck 😩😩

Browns tried to start him and had to backtrack after a couple of weeks.   

He’s doo doo.    Poor Texans fans 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

let’s pretend he doesn’t suck 😩😩

Browns tried to start him and had to backtrack after a couple of weeks.   

He’s doo doo.    Poor Texans fans 

He is a decent QB, a low end starter or a high end backup. Glad the team moved on from him but also don’t get the hate that comes his way either. He was one of the better QB’s the team had in the drought era and he turned up with a winning record.

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

He is a decent QB, a low end starter or a high end backup. Glad the team moved on from him but also don’t get the hate that comes his way either. He was one of the better QB’s the team had in the drought era and he turned up with a winning record.

He’s not a low end starter and he’s not a decent QB.  Hue Jackson believed that and then benched him and ultimately got canned.  

Everyone loves to be the nice guy but you gotta face facts.    He stinks 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

He’s not a low end starter and he’s not a decent QB.  Hue Jackson believed that and then benched him and ultimately got canned.  

He did have that outstanding 53 yd performance against the Saints

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.houstontexans.com/video/head-coach-david-culley-monday-press-conference-9-6-2021

Press conference with David Culley.

I haven’t really been impressed with this guy as a head coach so far, but time will tell...

As far as I'm concerned, he's a Great HC.  He persuaded the Texans to hire him instead of pursuing Frazier or Daboll.  Good work, Coach!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Congratulations!  If that is your Biggest Beef against the man, you have just won the Award of Merit for Nothingburger

I'm sure when he was the backup QB in Baltimore, everyone was crowding his locker all the time, asking him how to pronounce his name 🙄

True, Dat.  If he'd passed for 188 yds on 37 attempts it woulda been SOoooooOOOooo much better!

Well, in all honestly passing for 58 more yards might have won that game 😆 

10 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Well, in all honestly passing for 58 more yards might have won that game 😆 

Possible.  But the D giving up a TD to the Ravens from the 9 yard line instead of picking it and running it back for a TD could have lost us the Ravens game too. 

Or, the D getting a stop or making a play in the 2017 playoff game could have won it. 

My point is that our memories tend to be selective, and we forget that defensive and ST play tend to have big roles in the playoffs.  Bortles only passed 23 times for 75 yards in that game, vs. >200 yds in his next two playoff games that season, so it's not like game conditions were perfect for a pass-a-palooza (and of course, same was true of the Ravens game)

Allen shows far far more ceiling as a passer than any QB we've had since Kelly retired, but let's not pretend he's been an unstoppable offensive juggernaut in all our games

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Tyrod isn't good but he isn't as bad as that Jags game.  Dude might have had the all time worst receiver core ever.

What's scary to me is that bad as they were, I think they were better than Allen had the following season - Zay Jones, Fat Kelvin, Bob Foster, and Jason Croom with return performances from Charles "feet of" Clay aye yi yi

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

You seem to forget the fact that he is starting again in the league.  It is cute how he gets under your skin. 

• Vomit 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah and that’s implying racism. Basically saying that if he had been white, he would still be the starting quarterback. When he’s just not that good of a starting quarterback, period. 

3 hours ago, snafu said:

He might be right.  Only in his case Josh kinda blew his point out of the water.

And I hope he does well in Houston. He’s in a bad spot, but I’d love to see him succeed.

He said this in 2017. A couple weeks before being replaced by Nathan Peterman I believe.

Josh Allen wasn't even on the team. 

Tyrod's play changed from first year as a starter to subsequent years as a thrower - he became much less willing to take chances.

You would not see them trying to work thru bad series with him.

When on sideline he was often berated by coaches and I think it made him gun shy.

QB coaching was inadequate.  Daboll was like that with Allen first year but he improved and wisely decided he would do a better job from coaches booth.

He talking about taking more chances post Browns but not see it.

Tyrod needed some external help but not once did I hear any news on him during offseason.

The NFLPA has restricted offseason work with players far too much and too few players find adequate help during offseason.

I do think his chances for improving look up this year with Texans coaching staff led by David Culley who was a terrible QB coach for Bills.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Tyrod's play changed from first year as a starter to subsequent years as a thrower - he became much less willing to take chances.

You would not see them trying to work thru bad series with him.

When on sideline he was often berated by coaches and I think it made him gun shy.

QB coaching was inadequate.  Daboll was like that with Allen first year but he improved and wisely decided he would do a better job from coaches booth.

He talking about taking more chances post Browns but not see it.

Tyrod needed some external help but not once did I hear any news on him during offseason.

The NFLPA has restricted offseason work with players far too much and too few players find adequate help during offseason.

I do think his chances for improving look up this year with Texans coaching staff led by David Culley who was a terrible QB coach for Bills.

?

So he's started Week 1 for the Bills & Browns, should've started Week 1 for the Chargers, and now he will start Week 1 for the Texans. That's not too shabby when you consider what he looked like as Flacco's backup with the Ravens way back when, I would've figured he'd be out of the league by now.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What's scary to me is that bad as they were, I think they were better than Allen had the following season - Zay Jones, Fat Kelvin, Bob Foster, and Jason Croom with return performances from Charles "feet of" Clay aye yi yi

Tyrod was given some good receivers when he was traded to the Browns. He is mediocre at best. He's been in the NFL like 8 or more years now. Unless he's made some major jump, I think he'll look like the exact same qb we've seen over his career

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Tyrod was given some good receivers when he was traded to the Browns.

True Dat.  He was also given Todd Haley as his offensive coordinator.

30 minutes ago, Steptide said:

He is mediocre at best. He's been in the NFL like 8 or more years now. Unless he's made some major jump, I think he'll look like the exact same qb we've seen over his career

This is probable.  I think the point is that he's still in the league because while he's not the guy you pursue as the Franchise, he's 24-21-1 as a starter, and a QB who can win at least half the games for you as a backup has value.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

While throwing to Charles Clay, Deonte Thompson, Nick O'Leary, and Zay Jones, and Jordan Matthews, let's not forget that.

He also had Bills fans convinced Robert Woods stunk and Peak Sammy Watkins holding press conferences to remind him QB’s are supposed to throw passes.  

Y’all are being too nice to this guy.   

That’s enough Tyrod content for one season 🙃

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll always remember arguing with my friends during that playoff year that the Bills got to the playoffs in spite of Tyrod rather than because of Tyrod. He will always be a boat anchor in my mind. Just because he was the QB during the drought breaking season doesn’t mean he was anything more than average or below average. 

2 hours ago, Rico said:

So he's started Week 1 for the Bills & Browns, should've started Week 1 for the Chargers, and now he will start Week 1 for the Texans. That's not too shabby when you consider what he looked like as Flacco's backup with the Ravens way back when, I would've figured he'd be out of the league by now.

Good work if you can get it!

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’ll always remember arguing with my friends during that playoff year that the Bills got to the playoffs in spite of Tyrod rather than because of Tyrod. He will always be a boat anchor in my mind. Just because he was the QB during the drought breaking season doesn’t mean he was anything more than average or below average. 

The parade of Bills QB's that preceded Tyrod all contributed to the drought. I agree that Tyrod is average at best. Like it or not average QB play contributed to ending the drought. Some of us appreciate that. I'm not sure if many of us saw him as the guy to take us to the next level.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Somehow I get the impression that had Tyrod spoken up about the correct pronunciation upon arriving to Buffalo and becoming the starter  you'd be calling him a prima donna and he'd need to prove he was worthy as the bills qb before you'd consider giving him the courtesy of pronouncing his name correctly.  Now I sincerely do not think you could truly be so callous though that is possible.  I only hope if you are and you have every right to be  based on your life experiences. I however would hope your a Bills fan from outside the Buffalo area because as a Buffalo native I have high expectations of my fellow Buffalonians --  we are the city of good neighbors after all. 

Nothing wrong with Tyrod requesting his name be pronounced correctly. And I don't say that cause I've suddenly have become Woke! I have a difficult Polish surname and I served in the Air Force 6 years  late 70's early 80's.  Long story short an airman named Garza thought it was funny to mess up my surname instead of using my nickname as I understood my name was not easy to learn to pronounce.  Well 2 days of calling him gumbo, gomez, gorilla,  a few other less pc g words and he actually put the effort into pronouncing my surname properly.  I wouldn't be surprised if he could say it correctly now 40 years later. 

I'm just surprised that his name pronunciation correction didn't occur under Sean's early tenure because I do think every guy on today's roster would certainly use whatever pronunciation he wished to be used. That or there would be an agreed upon nickname to be used.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

You seem to forget the fact that he is starting again in the league.  It is cute how he gets under your skin. 

whats even cuter is the Texans are a 2.5 point underdog at home vs a rookie Qb playing his first game ever for “the jags” 😩😩😩

you chose poorly, knowing when to cut ties could be beneficial to you in the future. 

Edited by Teddy KGB

11 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah and that’s implying racism. Basically saying that if he had been white, he would still be the starting quarterback. When he’s just not that good of a starting quarterback, period. 

And yet there are Bills fans that  call tyrod a loser technically true of each member of the teams in the drought era. That would include a bills fan favorite Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Seems with a very similar record during his tenure with the bills he's regarded as a smart competitor whod be a winner if only his athleticism matched his intelligence and he just couldn't make the throws but he could clearly read what the defense was doing.  He at least tried to win games and didn't hesitate to pull the trigger and the inevitable int.   Not his fault the defense intercepted him.  Whereas Tyrod is vilified as a gutless loser because he didn't wish to risk to's.  That seems like a smart way to play.   Both are stopgap talents neither capable of pulling out a win on their talents alone  consistently yet Fitzpatrick is given a pass more readily,  because he's not as gifted an athlete or is there some racial  bias mixed in there whether its intentional or not it seems plausible there is some element of ŕacial  bias.

Tyrod the perceived loser has a SB ring earned when he was Flacco backup.   And he was part of the bills drought breaking season.  No not the catalyst but his efforts were part of that teams success.  To dismiss his part in winning is just as wrong as dismissing Fitzpatrick penchant for the game ending ints as a reason the bills didn't end the drought under his watch. 

I wish both success elsewhere with the caveat as long as its in the bills interests.  Otherwise let them come up short.  

Edited by AuntieEm
Format and grammar corrections
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

LOL From @P5t5rmansRedemption!

53 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

And yet there are Bills fans that  call tyrod a loser technically true of each member of the teams in the drought era. That would include a bills fan favorite Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Seems with a very similar record during his tenure with the bills he's regarded as a smart competitor whod be a winner if only his athleticism matched his intelligence and he just couldn't make the throws but he could clearly read what the defense was doing.  He at least tried to win games and didn't hesitate to pull the trigger and the inevitable int.   Not his fault the defense intercepted him.  Whereas Tyrod is vilified as a gutless loser because he didn't wish to risk to's.  That seems like a smart way to play.   Both are stopgap talents neither capable of pulling out a win on their talents alone  consistently yet Fitzpatrick is given a pass more readily,  because he's not as gifted an athlete or is there some racial  bias mixed in there whether its intentional or not it seems plausible there is some element of ŕacial  bias.

Tyrod the perceived loser has a SB ring earned when he was Flacco backup.   And he was part of the bills drought breaking season.  No not the catalyst but his efforts were part of that teams success.  To dismiss his part in winning is just as wrong as dismissing Fitzpatrick penchant for the game ending ints as a reason the bills didn't end the drought under his watch. 

I wish both success elsewhere with the caveat as long as its in the bills interests.  Otherwise let them come up short.  

It's not that complicated. Fans want their team to win football games, but short of that they want to be entertained. Fitzpatrick, for all his flaws, was an entertaining quarterback to watch. Taylor, equally flawed, was not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2