AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by (update - 2025)

YoloinOhio

Playing outdoors has no effect on a QB's career or team success. Give it up, people.

They need to build a great team no matter where they play.

If they design it right, the new stadium will no longer have the swirling wind effects. There will also be an overhang to cover fans, like the Seattle stadium. 

You'll be alright.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

Playing outdoors has no effect on a QB's career or team success. Give it up, people.

Agreed.  Spending an extra $300m on a stadium that will be around for 40+ years should not take into account how the current team is constructed.  And it takes far less money for McBeane to build an effective ground game, which the Bills should do anyway.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

If they design it right, the new stadium will no longer have the swirling wind effects. There will also be an overhang to cover fans, like the Seattle stadium. 

You'll be alright.

And get rid of the MFing cupholders. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Build a dome. Late January / early February games in the snow is not ideal for Allen in a QB driven passing league.

The stubborn idea that we benefit more from bitter terrible weather is silly. We lost the Chiefs game in the rain last year, we lost the pats game in the wind this year.

1 lost us home field advantage against the chiefs in the AFCCG game, and the other lost us the division (potentially temporarily).

Allen is probably as good in bad weather as anyone could be, but you need a running game to take advantage of real bad conditions.

Admittedly, I've been a Pro-Dome fan for close to 20 years...and before anyone asks, I was in junior high and high school during the Bills' great Super Bowl runs and recall the Raiders game, the Greatest Comeback game, and others that were played in the coldest of weather. But in the contemporary NFL and the way the game has changed visually as well, I just cannot believe in or support the logic to spend all of the money on a stadium and for it NOT to be a dome in Buffalo / Orchard Park, NY.

I certainly would understand in other places and I certainly understand if the league was still trying to find their financial footing, but this league is only going to continue to grow and grow as it has over the last 20 years. If the Bills, and / or the county and state, are going to invest over a billion dollars for a stadium, then adding a few hundred million to that receipt for a dome that can withstand the weather and make it a pro-offense place to play in the NFL, only makes sense IMHO. We can debate all day, but again IMO that's like saying, "I'll pay the $100k for the Mercedes SUV, but I REFUSE to pay for extra sound system and Benz navigation!" Both add to the bottom line but by the time you've spent all that money, doesn't it make sense to just go the whole ride?

Lastly, I honestly don't believe anyone can make the argument that Josh and the Bills would play 'worse' football in a dome, whereas I think we can argue that we've seen some of Josh's worst games in the elements and conditions. Should he be able to play in Buffalo weather, or any weather for that matter? Yes, of course. But can we really argue that the team wouldn't benefit from a controlled environment and that's nothing to say what Bass could accomplish in a dome and that's just another example to say the kicking game would benefit as well, not to suggest it's a reason to build a dome vs. an open air stadium.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

A strong case can be made that we are actually WORSE than our opponents playing at home in bad weather.  With Josh Allen here, this team and offense will be a big aerial attack for more than a decade.  That will be wasted on an outdoor stadium.

I think being an outdoor stadium in such severe weather really mitigates any prolific aerial attack we build and takes away any advantage that might give us.  

#3 passing Offense last season without a dome. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Building a certain type of stadium based on the 2021 roster makes no sense.

It'll take years to build the damn thing, so that the rookie OL and DL we (hopefully) draft this April will be ready for their second contracts by the time the thing opens.

By the time the stadium is ready, the roster will look totally different. 

I love the initial idea of a totally covered fan section, which would offer protection from precipitation and likely some sort of heating, even though it's outdoors, with an open playing field. 

It's like a giant tailgate. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

#3 passing Offense last season without a dome. 

Whats our home record this year?  4-3

Who did we beat:  Washington, Texans, Miami, Carolina (all weaker opponents and none of these games were really poor weather and all but the Panthers game were early in the season when weather is typically better than later in the season and playoff time)

Who did we lose to:  Pitt, Colts, Pats (all good running teams, and all in poor to terrible weather conditions dealing with high winds and rain).  All games we struggled to throw the ball in the poor conditions.  

So yeah...stand by my original point. And considering home playoff games would also have a high probability to be played in bad weather, being a prolific passing attack gets negated at home.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Who did we beat:  Washington, Texans, Miami, Carolina (all weaker opponents and none of these games were really poor weather and all but the Panthers game were early in the season when weather is typically better than later in the season and playoff time)

Who did we lose to:  Pitt, Colts, Pats (all good running teams, and all in poor to terrible weather conditions dealing with high winds and rain).  All games we struggled to throw the ball in the poor conditions.  

So yeah...stand by my original point. And considering home playoff games would also have a high probability to be played in bad weather, being a prolific passing attack gets negated at home.  

It gets negated for both teams though and should get negated less for us because our qb has a monstrous arm.  This season seems like we are just choking in all the big moments and losing all the close games to me so far home or road…hopefully that turns around

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't think there's been a significant change in the local weather patterns in the past year.

But...If a big armed stud like Josh can't handle the occasional bad weather game then the Bills need to move on.  Maybe they make a play for Rodgers--he doesn't have these limitations to his game.  Or maybe Brady wants out of Tampa next year--he's the best foul/snow weather QB ever...!  He rolled into Green Bay in the dead of winter and outdueled the Packers last year.

• Eyeroll 1

42 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed.  Spending an extra $300m on a stadium that will be around for 40+ years should not take into account how the current team is constructed.  And it takes far less money for McBeane to build an effective ground game, which the Bills should do anyway.  

I have not heard any estimate where it will cost only an extra $300 million for a dome.

Some start a GoFundMe for a dome but don't skim $100,000 of money like handlers for Dalton's charity.

This thing needs to be built for two realities, for what things are going to look like 40 years from now.

1) Climate change / global warming. Wetter and warmer. More weather extremes. More rain and snow. 

2) The addition of another week to the NFL season to bring it to 18 weeks, and possibly a second bye week if the league is smart wrt giving players rest and allow for changes in scheduling as COVID looks like it will become an endemic thing. This pushes the season into late February.

3) The concrete from the renovation just 10+ years ago is already failing. The weather in the region just beats up things that left in the elements. Plastic seating gets ☀️ and bitter cold and gets brittle. Heating elements in chairs break down. Turf lifespan is reduced. 

4) If they’re already planning on putting coverage over the seating to protect fans from weather, that will require much of the structure that a retractable roof needs.

When you’re building something this big and rare, build it right.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't think there's been a significant change in the local weather patterns in the past year.

But...If a big armed stud like Josh can't handle the occasional bad weather game then the Bills need to move on.  Maybe they make a play for Rodgers--he doesn't have these limitations to his game.  Or maybe Brady wants out of Tampa next year--he's the best foul/snow weather QB ever...!  He rolled into Green Bay in the dead of winter and outdueled the Packers last year.

Brady rolled into New England this year and was unstoppable against them this year right?

Aaron Rodgers throws for 300 yards and 4 TD's in the same weather that we played in MNF this year against the Pats?  Winds not that big of a deal where Mac Jones throws 3 times?  

Lambeau faces the same winds as Buffalo?

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Brady rolled into New England this year and was unstoppable against them this year right?

Aaron Rodgers throws for 300 yards and 4 TD's in the same weather that we played in MNF this year against the Pats?  Winds not that big of a deal where Mac Jones throws 3 times?  

Let's be real.. if you construct this team correctly playing in Buffalo is 100% to our advantage especially with Josh

The ball coming out of Josh's hands is better than the ball coming out of any other quarterback's hands ... I've never seen anyone spin a football like Josh

Josh to diggs 50 yd downfield in the hands.. with 45 mph gusts.. there's not a quarterback alive that can make that throw besides him

I've never seen anybody make that throw my entire life

Surround Josh with an offensive line.. give him a running back.. we will be damn near impossible to beat at home in January

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

what was brady's December record at home in NE?

Mac Jones isn't Brady

bad weather comes in many forms.  was it different wind in Buffalo last year? 

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

A strong case can be made that we are actually WORSE than our opponents playing at home in bad weather.  With Josh Allen here, this team and offense will be a big aerial attack for more than a decade.  That will be wasted on an outdoor stadium.

I think being an outdoor stadium in such severe weather really mitigates any prolific aerial attack we build and takes away any advantage that might give us.  

Respectfully...

Kelly, Brady and Elway (among others) had Hall of Fame careers built on prolific passing attacks in outdoor, cold weather stadium. Peyton Manning, who played the majority of his career indoors, had the best year of his career playing at Mile High in Denver. Currently, Patrick Mahomes has an incredibly prolific aerial attack in Kansas City, and things get rather cold, windy, and rainy/snowy there, too (as we saw when we played them earlier this season).

This idea that prolific passing attacks can't thrive in outdoor stadiums doesn't hold water for me. Above and beyond that, though, I just don't see it as likely that the extra cost and red tape necessary to build a dome would make things any EASIER in terms of getting a budget passed and a stadium built. 

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

what was brady's December record at home in NE?

Mac Jones isn't Brady

bad weather comes in many forms.  was it different wind in Buffalo last year? 

I don't consider cold to be bad weather.

What's Brady's stats and record in 50 mph swirling winds?  Or even 25 mph swirling winds?

I know Mac Jones isn't Brady.  What is your point?  Mac Jones averages 30 pass attempts a game.  Can you tell me why he only had 3 passing attempts against the Bills on MNF?  

High winds played a huge effect in the Raves playoff game last year.  

It just takes one game to ruin a season and the chances of that happening in Buffalo are greater than other cities mainly because of the wind.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Let's be real.. if you construct this team correctly playing in Buffalo is 100% to our advantage especially with Josh

The ball coming out of Josh's hands is better than the ball coming out of any other quarterback's hands ... I've never seen anyone spin a football like Josh

Josh to diggs 50 yd downfield in the hands.. with 45 mph gusts.. there's not a quarterback alive that can make that throw besides him

I've never seen anybody make that throw my entire life

Surround Josh with an offensive line.. give him a running back.. we will be damn near impossible to beat at home in January

When you have very bad conditions, it takes away any advantage a more talented team has.

Random and lucky breaks happen.  You have an Isiah McKenzie slipping and fumbling the ball without being touched....

You have Josh Allen throwing a 5 yard out and the ball is turning sideways.....arm strength did nothing there.

You have Diggs open in the endzone on that ball Allen throws at its impossible to judge because the wind is moving that ball...yeah Allen got it there but that's a lot to ask from Diggs being that the ball is moving like a knuckle ball.

Football is best when the main factor of the game is determined by the men on the field and not the weather.

• Agree 3

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

When you have very bad conditions, it takes away any advantage a more talented team has.

Random and lucky breaks happen.  You have an Isiah McKenzie slipping and fumbling the ball without being touched....

You have Josh Allen throwing a 5 yard out and the ball is turning sideways.....arm strength did nothing there.

You have Diggs open in the endzone on that ball Allen throws at its impossible to judge because the wind is moving that ball...yeah Allen got it there but that's a lot to ask from Diggs being that the ball is moving like a knuckle ball.

Football is best when the main factor of the game is determined by the men on the field and not the weather.

Everything that you describe that can happen to our team and Josh..  it's going to get amplified twofold because the other quarterbacks not as talented

Josh was actually able to throw the ball in that 45 mile an hour weather.. if we had a running game we would have blown them out

Their quarterback couldn't even throw the ball more than a couple of times

If they build the stadium above ground this time I don't think the wind will have all that much of an impact. It's the below ground bowl that makes the wind a factor at the stadium. With the partial roof we have heard will be over the stadium, I think wind becomes a very minimal issue.

Edited by Beast

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Everything that you describe that can happen to our team and Josh..  it's going to get amplified twofold because the other quarterbacks not as talented

Josh was actually able to throw the ball in that 45 mile an hour weather.. if we had a running game we would have blown them out

Their quarterback couldn't even throw the ball more than a couple of times

I just can’t agree.  Swirling wind moves the ball and we like to go downfield.  Wind moves bullets, it’s going to move a football. 

Allen might throw a ball perfectly down the  field with a wide open WR but it gets held up or pushed out of bounds but a quick gust.  Allen isn’t going to throw darts all game long.  These are factors that I hate that change a game.

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just can’t agree.  Swirling wind moves the ball and we like to go downfield.  Wind moves bullets, it’s going to move a football. 

Allen might throw a ball perfectly down the  field with a wide open WR but it gets held up or pushed out of bounds but a quick gust.  Allen isn’t going to throw darts all game long.  These are factors that I hate that change a game.

Yeah but bud , you're missing the point that the other quarterback is a lot more effected ... The best trait for Jimbo and Josh was/is their arm strength... They can cut through elements that most can't

If Josh Allen throws 15 footballs and the other team's quarterback throws 15 footballs.. Josh is going to have way more effective balls and opportunities for plays

If we actually had a running game and an offensive line you probably couldn't stop us in a bogged down game.. because Josh's arm can still beat the weather.. you only need to beat it a few times.. absolutely he will make more plays than the other quarterback 

You just need to be able to run the ball to take pressure off him

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Respectfully...

Kelly, Brady and Elway (among others) had Hall of Fame careers built on prolific passing attacks in outdoor, cold weather stadium. Peyton Manning, who played the majority of his career indoors, had the best year of his career playing at Mile High in Denver. Currently, Patrick Mahomes has an incredibly prolific aerial attack in Kansas City, and things get rather cold, windy, and rainy/snowy there, too (as we saw when we played them earlier this season).

This idea that prolific passing attacks can't thrive in outdoor stadiums doesn't hold water for me. Above and beyond that, though, I just don't see it as likely that the extra cost and red tape necessary to build a dome would make things any EASIER in terms of getting a budget passed and a stadium built. 

Fair points and reasonable reply...my counter points:

1. Winds and weather issues in our home stadium are worse more often than those other cities.  If you polled the entire NFL, I have no doubt that Buffalo weather would be the most chosen as worst place to play weather wise.  
  2. Those teams you mentioned were all great running teams, not just prolific pass attacks.
  3. Elway's championship teams were dominant rushing teams.  
  4. Brady's game was most often quick strike and timing pass attack versus big aerial attack most his career in NE.

I never said it was impossible to do, I am saying if we are all out aerial attack, we neutralize some of that advantage when facing teams who are better rushing teams when we are at home in bad weather.  The counter of course, is to also be very good at rushing the ball, which those teams you mentioned were also very good at.  

So to be clear, I did not say we couldn't be a good passing team (we obviously already are) in a Buffalo outdoor stadium, I am saying if we are a big aerial attack offense, then when lesser opponents come to town (see Colts, Pats, Steelers this year for example) who can run the ball better than us in bad weather, then the weather is not a "home field advantage" for us, it actually helps our opponents in those cases.

And with a lot of the better AFC teams typically being used to bad weather like KC, Pitt, NE, etc...how is the bad weather actually an advantage for us anyway?  Bad weather for me just actually balances out the playing field more, doesn't seem to give us an advantage.  But the biggest case I always see being made for keeping it an outdoor stadium is that its part of our home field advantage.  That is really the main area I disagree at.

We play Pitt, Colts, or Pats in a dome right now, I would bet we beat each of those teams 8 or 9 times out of 10.  In a bad weather game where running the ball is paramount, we might not even have a .500 win % against them.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, UConn James said:

This thing needs to be built for two realities, for what things are going to look like 40 years from now.

1) Climate change / global warming. Wetter and warmer. More weather extremes. More rain and snow. 

2) The addition of another week to the NFL season to bring it to 18 weeks, and possibly a second bye week if the league is smart wrt giving players rest and allow for changes in scheduling as COVID looks like it will become an endemic thing. This pushes the season into late February.

3) The concrete from the renovation just 10+ years ago is already failing. The weather in the region just beats up things that left in the elements. Plastic seating gets ☀️ and bitter cold and gets brittle. Heating elements in chairs break down. Turf lifespan is reduced. 

4) If they’re already planning on putting coverage over the seating to protect fans from weather, that will require much of the structure that a retractable roof needs.

When you’re building something this big and rare, build it right.

Can you provide more info for the bolded to let us know these significant statements are factual? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I'm so tired of arguing for a dome. The analytics and common sense is there. But God forbid you pry that open air constantly windy stadium experience away from the diehards. I don't even care anymore about rain or snow issues.  But could they at least build this thing with some kind of engineering that reduces the wind element. Anything to help Josh.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It gets negated for both teams though and should get negated less for us because our qb has a monstrous arm.  This season seems like we are just choking in all the big moments and losing all the close games to me so far home or road…hopefully that turns around

That was the point though.  People have constantly referenced our weather is being part of our home field advantage.  I am countering that its not actually an advantage for us, and its actually this year been a disadvantage at home with bad weather.  Bad weather adds a wild card...untimely fumbles that wouldn't normally happen...drops that wouldn't normally happen...slips that wouldn't normally happen...etc.  It can happen to either team, so why force that unknown into most of our home games?  It can work against us just as easily as it could work for us.  I would rather put ourselves in the best position to win each game.

So, if the bad weather is not helping give us an edge, why even do it.  Especially when the best fan base in the world would make a dome deafening for opposing teams and would TRULY be a home field advantage.  Let the Mafia show out and drown them in the noisiest environment they will step into all year.  

For me its about finding ways to maximize our home field, and IMHO bad weather is not helping our cause in every case.  Sure, there are going to be some opponents it gives us an edge on, but there will be others it actually works against us and helps them.  Like this year, when we have faced prolific rushing teams in bad weather...that helps them while hurting us.  

A dome makes sure we always have some sort of advantage at home by maximizing the noise the Mafia brings to the table.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Science is true whether you believe it, or not..

Build it, underground.

So, as per the poster’s assertions, we know that Buffalo will have a wetter climate? I have not read any geographic-specific weather predictions associated with climate change. I also have not read anything about Highmark’s concrete (due to being saturated?) degradation. Those were the central pieces of my question.

But, because you type the word “science” in your response, I am supposed to bow down to your faux intellect. Science IS about asking questions, not thought suppression.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't consider cold to be bad weather.

What's Brady's stats and record in 50 mph swirling winds?  Or even 25 mph swirling winds?

I know Mac Jones isn't Brady.  What is your point?  Mac Jones averages 30 pass attempts a game.  Can you tell me why he only had 3 passing attempts against the Bills on MNF?  

High winds played a huge effect in the Raves playoff game last year.  

It just takes one game to ruin a season and the chances of that happening in Buffalo are greater than other cities mainly because of the wind.

come on..,.how many games ever played anywhere have had 50 mph winds??

This is a ridiculous discussion.  The visiting teams don't whine about a windy day.  they make adjustments (see NE's 3 pass attempts) and play through it.  The rest of the AFCE isn't demanding Buffalo to build a domed stadium for their late season/winter games.  

Josh Allen is uniquely suited to throw in the wind.  He's the perfect man for the job in Buffalo.  A windy game is not going to stop him from getting to the SB---that's the least of his concerns actually,.

'

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/31/2021 at 1:32 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Corporate 

Corporations that don't need to pay taxes on the luxury boxes, or the first-class flights that get the wealthy people there, or the martinis they drink on the flight and in the boxes. That's all underwritten by the fans sitting in the nose bleeds with their families because that's all they can afford, in part because they have to underwrite the boxes, flights and martinis of the rich guy. Would be nice if the boxes were set aside for die-hard fans who can't afford tickets. 

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Science is true whether you believe it, or not..

Tell that to the anti-vaxxers. 

31 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

So, as per the poster’s assertions, we know that Buffalo will have a wetter climate? I have not read any geographic-specific weather predictions associated with climate change. I also have not read anything about Highmark’s concrete (due to being saturated?) degradation. Those were the central pieces of my question.

But, because you type the word “science” in your response, I am supposed to bow down to your faux intellect. Science IS about asking questions, not thought suppression.

is nasa reputable enough for you?  Can we go back to discussing the Bills new stadium please?

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

The current warming trend is of particular significance because it is unequivocally the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over millennia.1 It is undeniable that human activities have warmed the atmosphere, ocean, and land and that widespread and rapid changes in the atmosphere, ocean, cryosphere, and biosphere have occurred. 

Earth-orbiting satellites and other technological advances have enabled scientists to see the big picture, collecting many different types of information about our planet and its climate on a global scale. This body of data, collected over many years, reveals the signals of a changing climate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.