AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by (update - 2025)

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

AZ Coyotes are going to spend $1.7 billion on a new arena/development project?

That's a lot for their 10-15 fans. 

They must be super pumped that those private investors are willing to pay so much for the team... must be superfans.

Nothing weird going on here....

3 hours ago, Doc said:

No it wasn’t. That’s what somebody claimed.

What is you source? 

This is how it has been reported:

August 1st, BN reporter Tom Precious reports that the Bills asked for "full funding": 1.5 billion--including 1.1 for the new stadium, and the rest for Keybank center.  Before he publishes the story, he asks PSE to comment.  They decline.

August 2nd, after the story breaks, Pegula takes a beating locally and nationally.  Does PSE rush to correct this "lie", as you call it?  No they do not.  Instead, he reports: "After publication of the story, a PSE spokesman, Jim Wilkinson, said the team is not seeking any funds for work at KeyBank Center [home of the Buffalo Sabres]. Wilkinson also said the figure of at least $1.1 billion being sought in public money for a new Bills’ stadium was incorrect; he declined to say if the request by the team was higher or lower.”  

So, Still, when asked,  he does not deny that PSE is/was seeking full funding at that time.  They only took issue with the dollar amount they were reported as asking--and would not deny it was more than 1.1 billion.

12 days later, when the obvious became apparent to them, PSE for the first time says the funding will be "some form of public/private partnership".   

When twice prompted to deny that they were seeking  full funding, PSE twice declined to do so. 

Then there's this:

"The idea of total financing of a new stadium produced concern among Albany lawmakers, with several labeling the idea a “non-starter.” Assembly Majority Leader Crystal D. Peoples-Stokes, D-Buffalo, was among those dismissing the original plan as outlined to her. Late Friday, she reiterated that she always understood the PSE proposal involved total public financing, adding she was encouraged by the mayor’s comments."

What is your evidence that the story was a lie?

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

What is you source? 

This is how it has been reported:

August 1st, BN reporter Tom Precious reports that the Bills asked for "full funding": 1.5 billion--including 1.1 for the new stadium, and the rest for Keybank center.  Before he publishes the story, he asks PSE to comment.  They decline.

August 2nd, after the story breaks, Pegula takes a beating locally and nationally.  Does PSE rush to correct this "lie", as you call it?  No they do not.  Instead, he reports: "After publication of the story, a PSE spokesman, Jim Wilkinson, said the team is not seeking any funds for work at KeyBank Center [home of the Buffalo Sabres]. Wilkinson also said the figure of at least $1.1 billion being sought in public money for a new Bills’ stadium was incorrect; he declined to say if the request by the team was higher or lower.”  

So, Still, when asked,  he does not deny that PSE is/was seeking full funding at that time.  They only took issue with the dollar amount they were reported as asking--and would not deny it was more than 1.1 billion.

12 days later, when the obvious became apparent to them, PSE for the first time says the funding will be "some form of public/private partnership".   

When twice prompted to deny that they were seeking  full funding, PSE twice declined to do so. 

Then there's this:

"The idea of total financing of a new stadium produced concern among Albany lawmakers, with several labeling the idea a “non-starter.” Assembly Majority Leader Crystal D. Peoples-Stokes, D-Buffalo, was among those dismissing the original plan as outlined to her. Late Friday, she reiterated that she always understood the PSE proposal involved total public financing, adding she was encouraged by the mayor’s comments."

What is your evidence that the story was a lie?

The last several years and the sad state of news/reporting makes me skeptical about anything I read. Especially when “unnamed sources” are mentioned.  Basically Precious/reporter allegedly hears something, reports it and things cascade from there.

PSE refusing to comment on on-going negotiations proves nothing.  About the only thing I believe in the article is that it would have been an “unprecedented ask.”  Meaning they would’ve been the first owners in NFL history to do this.

If it seems unbelievable, it usually is.  And as I said elsewhere, the money they put up will ultimately be paid for by the fans anyway.

Edited by Doc

46 minutes ago, Doc said:

The last several years and the sad state of news/reporting makes me skeptical about anything I read. Especially when “unnamed sources” are mentioned.  Basically Precious/reporter allegedly hears something, reports it and things cascade from there.

PSE refusing to comment on on-going negotiations proves nothing.  About the only thing I believe in the article is that it would have been an “unprecedented ask.”  Meaning they would’ve been the first owners in NFL history to do this.

If it seems unbelievable, it usually is.  And as I said elsewhere, the money they put up will ultimately be paid for by the fans anyway.

It's not unbelievable at all. 

And, as you already know, anonymous sourcing has been the basis for reporting since Gutenburg's press was assembled.  Why pretend otherwise?

The Majority Leader of the NYS Assembly heard the same thing and understood and assumed it to be true---that's the "Albany" that issued the "that's a non-starter" quote.   This is what Peoples was told (not by the article in the Buffalo news).  Obviously by representatives of the government in the room, so to speak, when PSE made that generous offer.

PSE was not refusing to ongoing negotiations, they were twice asked to comment, no...correct the record regarding their reported demand of full public funding.  They chose not to.   2 weeks later, they publicly accepted that they would have to pay something more than nothing.  

If, when asked the first (or second) time, if it was true, all PSE had to say was "no that's absolutely untrue. We know this will be some sort of public/private partnership".  They refused to say that.  Publicly damaging lies get denied immediately (even if the denial is fake).  Therefore there's no reason to believe it's "a lie".  

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's not unbelievable at all. 

And, as you already know, anonymous sourcing has been the basis for reporting since Gutenburg's press was assembled.  Why pretend otherwise?

The Majority Leader of the NYS Assembly heard the same thing and understood and assumed it to be true---that's the "Albany" that issued the "that's a non-starter" quote.   This is what Peoples was told (not by the article in the Buffalo news).  Obviously by representatives of the government in the room, so to speak, when PSE made that generous offer.

PSE was not refusing to ongoing negotiations, they were twice asked to comment, no...correct the record regarding their reported demand of full public funding.  They chose not to.   2 weeks later, they publicly accepted that they would have to pay something more than nothing.  

If, when asked the first (or second) time, if it was true, all PSE had to say was "no that's absolutely untrue. We know this will be some sort of public/private partnership".  They refused to say that.  Publicly damaging lies get denied immediately (even if the denial is fake).  Therefore there's no reason to believe it's "a lie".  

Hey, if you want to believe an “unprecedented ask” based on unnamed sources and lack of a denial, that’s your right. The facts are that the Pegulas will contribute a chunk of money and the public will probably provide a larger chunk, a stadium will get built and the Bills will stay.  That’s the only truth that ultimately matters. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Media has confirmed that the electricity went out at the stadium. Cause was reportedly a car accident.

How many times has this happened in recent years and has it happened with such frequency anywhere else?

Last one I recall was the Bills Chargers back in 2008, from a mylar balloon hitting a transformer. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/power-restored-during-chargers-bills-game-326884

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Was today the best commercial for a new Bills done, or the best for no dome?

bit of both, showed how it can be much more fun not having to deal with it and also how it doesn't really matter too much. Though games like the Ravens game are what show how it can handicap your team in one aspect.

53 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

bit of both, showed how it can be much more fun not having to deal with it and also how it doesn't really matter too much. Though games like the Ravens game are what show how it can handicap your team in one aspect.

It would have mattered big time if we were playing a good team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

If they would have moved downtown I dont think I'd have went to another game.   Driving from an hour away, with no tailgating, and the crazy amount of traffic would have been a non starter.

I know not everyone drinks and people get fed up with the rowdy/unruly drunks but tailgating is a big part of the game day experience. I honestly couldn't imagine a Bills home game without the tailgating.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Build a dome. Late January / early February games in the snow is not ideal for Allen in a QB driven passing league.

The stubborn idea that we benefit more from bitter terrible weather is silly. We lost the Chiefs game in the rain last year, we lost the pats game in the wind this year.

1 lost us home field advantage against the chiefs in the AFCCG game, and the other lost us the division (potentially temporarily).

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I know not everyone drinks and people get fed up with the rowdy/unruly drunks but tailgating is a big part of the game day experience. I honestly couldn't imagine a Bills home game without the tailgating.

Without question.   Personally if I am going to have a few, I'd stay home and do it anyways.  But, I cant imagine not smelling the charcoal in the parking lot, or the camaraderie that comes a long with the tailgating.  

It's also fun for me to see a few of the crazies before the game.   Have a lot of great memories from tailgates.   One of my favorites was watching a kid just out of law school run from his beer pong table to track down William Mattar, who was walking by, to try and get a job.    Dude was in full ironic mustache and faded Kelly jersey, but he had enough liquid courage to go for it.   You dont get a Mattar moment like that without tailgating.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Who decides If it's a dome or not. Or is that already done

There’s little to no economic benefit to having a dome in Orchard Park, so I can’t see it happening.  If UB was gonna use the facility and if it would’ve resulted in more year round events, but I think that’s out the window if it’s in Orchard Park.  

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Build a dome. Late January / early February games in the snow is not ideal for Allen in a QB driven passing league.

The stubborn idea that we benefit more from bitter terrible weather is silly. We lost the Chiefs game in the rain last year, we lost the pats game in the wind this year.

1 lost us home field advantage against the chiefs in the AFCCG game, and the other lost us the division (potentially temporarily).

Yeah, we need a dome to keep the elements away from Josh. He really lit it up in perfect weather down in Jacksonville earlier this year. Domes are boring and just big warehouses. No thanks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3

13 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Yeah, we need a dome to keep the elements away from Josh. He really lit it up in perfect weather down in Jacksonville earlier this year. Domes are boring and just big warehouses. No thanks.

Yeah freezing your butt off or being drenched in rain is really just more exciting. Especially with what you'll pay in PSLs.

Also I gave two examples of critical games in which weather negatively impacted our play and had large implications on the Bills season.

Can you give me an example in which Josh played in a dome, and we said "man, if only it were pouring rain or snowing, we'd be winning this game bc josh is just so good in the 😮elements😮"

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Why do I have the feeling that most of the people wanting a dome (which is undeniably the more expensive option) will be the same ones complaining about the price tag when it comes time for the public funding discussion?

I think, given the realities of the economic constraints of the Buffalo market, that certain realities have to be faced. Namely, the most affordable and most feasible option is an open air stadium in Orchard Park. Building either a dome or a downtown stadium -- or both -- would be more expensive, have a lot more red tape associated with it, and would be less likely to receive the necessary funding and to be successfully completed on a realistic timeline. This, in turn, would imperil the future of the Bills in Buffalo.

A roof in cold weather would be nice. A downtown mega-plex would be nice. All things considered, and confronting the economic realities of the situation, give me whatever is necessary to actually get a new stadium built and to keep the team in Buffalo.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Everyone on here saying keep it open air…. ok.  But why is the upper deck pretty much empty in December games?  

I've never seen it that empty since Josh arrived. Last year it was pretty empty though. 🤔

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

Yeah freezing your butt off or being drenched in rain is really just more exciting. Especially with what you'll pay in PSLs.

Also I gave two examples of critical games in which weather negatively impacted our play and had large implications on the Bills season.

Can you give me an example in which Josh played in a dome, and we said "man, if only it were pouring rain or snowing, we'd be winning this game bc josh is just so good in the 😮elements😮"

Idk, but the GOAT QB played most of his career in an outdoor Northeastern stadium. That really stunted him, eh?

Edited by Bubba Gump

A strong case can be made that we are actually WORSE than our opponents playing at home in bad weather.  With Josh Allen here, this team and offense will be a big aerial attack for more than a decade.  That will be wasted on an outdoor stadium.

I think being an outdoor stadium in such severe weather really mitigates any prolific aerial attack we build and takes away any advantage that might give us.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.