2022 HOF First Time Eligibles

This is a class of very good players. I don't see a first ballot player. I think 3-5 will get in at some point, but I don't see one player that screams out as one of the most elite to ever play their position.

I believe the most deserving offensive player is Steve Smith. He was his generation's Tyreek Hill as an undersized, speedy, tough, and electric player to watch.

DeMarcus Ware was elite/near elite for about 6-7 years at a hybrid DE/LB. I can see him getting in.

Wilfork may get in because of Goodell's love affair with the Patriots, and he was an defensive anchor on title teams.

Again, I don't think these 3 get in the first year, but these 3 I believe have the strongest case to eventually don the Gold Jacket.

Edited by Wizard
  • Like (+1) 2

Steve Smith.   

perhaps Wilfork. 

4 minutes ago, Wizard said:

This is a class of very good players. I think a few will get in, but I don't see one player that screams out as one of the most elite to ever play their position.

I believe the most deserving offensive player is Steve Smith. He was his generation's Tyreek Hill as an undersized, speedy, tough, and electric player to watch.

DeMarcus Ware was elite/near elite for about 6-7 years at a hybrid DE/LB. I can see him getting in.

Wilfork may get in because of Goodell's love affair with the Patriots, and he was an defensive anchor on title teams.

Those would be the 3 I could see getting in. All others were solid players, especially Boldin, but I think they come up short or wait awhile.

Agree on Smith.  He was also a tough guy and good blocker I believe. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

It's weird because Romo has better stats than some in the HOF do

Because of the era he played in and he always had a lot of offensive talent with him.

But man, I just never felt like Romo was a HOF QB when he was playing. He was a solid QB, just not a great QB.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Steve Smith.   

perhaps Wilfork. 

Agree on Smith.  He was also a tough guy and good blocker I believe. 

If Wilfork then Ted Washington should've been in a while ago. 

I've seen all these players play. The Hall used to mean a lot for me as a fan but not anymore. It's still the greatest honor. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 3

Are we seriously considering Tony Romo a HOFer?  If he gets in you better open the doors to guys like McNabb, Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco, Kerry Collins, Matthew Stafford, and Andy Dalton.  Sound crazy?  They've all had similar careers to ole Tony.  A couple of them even won Super Bowls.  I know he is on TV alot and is a former Cowboy, but he was just good he was never great.  

Had he played more than 12 years he may even of had to take the Dalton or Flacco route as he would have ended up Daks backup.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would put Andre Johnson, DeMarcus Ware and Steve Smith, in that order, as the best of the group, but I don't think any of them merit first ballot selection.  Especially not when you compare them to other first ballot guys, like Peyton Manning and Calvin Johnson.  But we're in the age of the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality so who knows.  

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Perhaps it's my anti-Cowboy bias but I just don't see Romo as a HOFer.

If you'd asked me a decade ago, I'd agree 100%.  I still agree, actually, but the NFL HOF continues to water itself down with marginal HOF players getting in.  I think his popularity speeds up the process.

11 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

It's weird because Romo has better stats than some in the HOF do

Romo never won anything in the playoffs.  It will be a hard sell

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Are we seriously considering Tony Romo a HOFer?  If he gets in you better open the doors to guys like McNabb, Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco, Kerry Collins, Matthew Stafford, and Andy Dalton.  Sound crazy?  They've all had similar careers to ole Tony.  A couple of them even won Super Bowls.  I know he is on TV alot and is a former Cowboy, but he was just good he was never great.  

Had he played more than 12 years he may even of had to take the Dalton or Flacco route as he would have ended up Daks backup.  

Drew Bledsoe too....Drew at least made it to a Super Bowl and won another with Brady at the Helm.

• Agree 1

Romo has a better chance of getting in as a broadcaster than a QB.  Look at him & Phil Simms.  Simms never came close & accomplished more in his career-Super Bowl MVP and an important part of another Super Bowl winner even though he was out injured.  Meanwhile Tony Romo never won anything & playoff victories & championships are what get QBs in the HOF. Romo was 2-4 in the playoffs & never made it to a conference championship game. 

Romo was never a top 5 QB and some of you think he belongs in the HOF-Come On Man!

35 minutes ago, eball said:

Perhaps it's my anti-Cowboy bias but I just don't see Romo as a HOFer.

I share the same bias, but perhaps it's also remembering him botching a hold on a potentially game-winning kick in a playoff game against Seattle, but I don't see him as a HOFer.  He does get a free pass into the Punter's Hall of Fame, though, because they all get to hold for kicks now because of him.

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If you'd asked me a decade ago, I'd agree 100%.  I still agree, actually, but the NFL HOF continues to water itself down with marginal HOF players getting in.  I think his popularity speeds up the process.

Nah, he was a "very good" regular season QB who never won anything.  His story is somewhat special because of the path he took to the NFL but that doesn't make him a HOFer.  He's Kurt Warner without the playoff success and Super Bowl appearances, which to me is not enough.

Edited by eball

1 minute ago, eball said:

Nah, he was a "very good" regular season QB who never won anything.  His story is somewhat special because of the path he took to the NFL but that doesn't make him a HOFer.  He's Kurt Warner without the playoff success and Super Bowl appearances, which to me is not enough.

I think we're on the same page.  I just think he'll get in on popularity .. much like Joe Namath did.  Namath was not a HOF QB by any stretch.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Gugny said:

I think we're on the same page.  I just think he'll get in on popularity .. much like Joe Namath did.  Namath was not a HOF QB by any stretch.

The HOF voters are less swayed by that stuff than you think.  Namath made the most famous guarantee in the history of the NFL and backed it up.  He was "fame" personified while he was playing.  Romo's fame has essentially come in the broadcast booth.

Kurt Warner -- whose career regular season stats are similar to Romo's -- stepped it up big time in the playoffs, and that's why he's in the HOF.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

The HOF voters are less swayed by that stuff than you think.  Namath made the most famous guarantee in the history of the NFL and backed it up.  He was "fame" personified while he was playing.  Romo's fame has essentially come in the broadcast booth.

Kurt Warner -- whose career regular season stats are similar to Romo's -- stepped it up big time in the playoffs, and that's why he's in the HOF.

Warner also won two MVPs and a Super Bowl MVP, and I agree with you.  I was fine with Warner making it in.

Just now, Gugny said:

Warner also won two MVPs and a Super Bowl MVP, and I agree with you.  I was fine with Warner making it in.

I also go back to the concept of the HOF being, "can you tell the complete story of the NFL without mentioning this guy?"

It's not a perfect standard but a pretty good one, and it allows for some of the stats discrepancy some get hung up on.

1 minute ago, eball said:

I also go back to the concept of the HOF being, "can you tell the complete story of the NFL without mentioning this guy?"

It's not a perfect standard but a pretty good one, and it allows for some of the stats discrepancy some get hung up on.

I feel like if a long discussion/thought process is necessary in order to say, "yes or no," then it likely shouldn't be a "yes."

I've always felt like the HOF should be for no-brainers, or close to no-brainers.

Boldin - No

Greenway - N0

Johnson - Someday

Williams - No

Romo -  someday

Mathis - Someday

Smith - Someday

Ware - Someday

Wilpork - **** NO, Never... His dirty *** should've been thrown out of the league

Ware and Mathis should get in before Mario, if Mario ever gets in.

Romo was a good QB but not IMO a HOF'er. He'll probably get in for his broadcasting and for being a Cowboy though.

There are WR's that should get in before these 3