Training Camp practice 7/31 - open to fans at Highmark Stadium

12 minutes ago, wjag said:

I'm always amazed at how truly big these guys are.  I once stood side-by-side next to Bruce Smith when he was in civilan clothes and I couldn't get over how much bigger he was than me.  Seeing the final frame of this video and Star walking up the tunnel you get a sense of how wide and thick his core is.  He is a stump.

Think that’s Ford?

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Anyone just see the the Kim Jones report on NFL Network? She reported Beane tried moving all the way to #1 to secure Allen. Hadn’t heard that reported yet I don’t think. 

That would be surprising considering he's on record as inquiring about moving up to #4, but the price was too much.

Maybe because it was the same team (Cleveland) picking at #1 as #4 she just interpreted it that way.

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That would be surprising considering he's on record as inquiring about moving up to #4, but the price was too much.

Maybe because it was the same team (Cleveland) picking at #1 as #4 she just interpreted it that way.

Hard to imagine Browns would have talked about #1. Jets were certainly taking a qb, so the Browns would have ended up with their third choice QB.  Hard to imagine the Bill's would talk about the 4th because the 7th was all they needed. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

To each his own. I think she’s 🔥

Thats because she is 👍

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Just one man's opinion but I thought he was pretty sharp today. I have no other practice to compare it to but Allen looked good to me, as much as one can in a no-pads practice and missing his top 2 receivers. He had one bad throw where he forced a ball that should have been picked. Other than that he threw like 90% of his passes to Beasley and Kumerow and they were mostly on target. Gabe Davis got almost no targets, it was kind of weird. The d-line also looked quite good. But again without pads it's hard to make sweeping judgments.

As someone who was there I appreciate your perspective on this. As much as @Bangarang was joking around (I think... mostly), I admit that I'm a little anxious about how Josh will respond to the crowds this year and whether that brings back the *Sugar High Josh" we saw so much in year 1 and some in year 2.

Love Josh, but I really do think the empty stadiums helped him last year. I believe (and hope) that he's gotten over that hump, though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Hard to imagine Browns would have talked about #1. Jets were certainly taking a qb, so the Browns would have ended up with their third choice QB.  Hard to imagine the Bill's would talk about the 4th because the 7th was all they needed. 

That assumes that the Bills and Jets rated the QBs in the same order as the Browns and would have selected selected the Browns’ top two rated QBs. I don’t think that’s a given. I think it’s more a fact that the Browns really liked their guy and guaranteed being able to get him, simple as that. Same with them selecting Ward at #4. 

30 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I mean they talked with the Broncos for the 5th, not that much of a stretch.

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

As someone who was there I appreciate your perspective on this. As much as @Bangarang was joking around (I think... mostly), I admit that I'm a little anxious about how Josh will respond to the crowds this year and whether that brings back the *Sugar High Josh" we saw so much in year 1 and some in year 2.

Love Josh, but I really do think the empty stadiums helped him last year. I believe (and hope) that he's gotten over that hump, though.

Hey if you’re correct we can always trade him to the Saints, Eagles, or Dolphins for a bunch of draft picks and then spend the next few years watching college draft footage by mid season like the old days 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The whole ‘sugar high’ thing needs to be put into its proper context imo, namely that there’s a direct relationship between the quality of Allen’s supporting cast and the number of plays where he tries to do too much.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

The whole ‘sugar high’ thing needs to be put into its proper context imo, namely that there’s a direct relationship between the quality of Allen’s supporting cast and the number of plays where he tries to do too much.

Sorry inverse

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Of course I was joking buddy

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's been widely reported that Beane already had a trade deal in place with the Broncos if their guy (Chubb) wasn't there, but he was.

Here's one of the places I heard the report on Beane trying to trade up to 4

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Davis Webb has been taking all the 3rd team reps. I don't think Fromm is long for this team.

If that’s the case, I bet they only keep 2 (JA & MT). Release Fromm and Webb and pick Webb back up on practice squad. Frees up another spot on the active roster for another DL, WR, or exclusive special teamer. 

Edited by TheProcess

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I really don't disagree, and anyone who insinuates I'm saying Allen will suck this year is unable to have a complex thought. 

I think Josh Allen is the most physically talented NFL QB out there today and maybe in the history of the NFL. I also think his competitiveness and desire to win is right up there with the all-time greats. But one thing about Allen that's simultaneously super encouraging and leaves me with a small amount of anxiety in the short term is how young/inexperienced in the sport he still is, especially when compared with his peers. I think this has been rehashed over and over, but when you go through the history of Josh Allen playing QB (multi-sport athlete in HS, didn't physically grow into himself til late, 1 year as a JuCo starter, 2 years as a borderline D1 starter, etc.) he's not only still learning the position but the whole idea of crazy packed stadiums and media spotlight is relatively new to him as opposed to a guy like Mahomes, who had a professional athlete as a father and played in packed stadiums at a D1 school throughout college.

Again, I think last year was the best thing for him and I think he's over that, but in his first 2 years there were moments where he seemed overly excited and would miss a play or 2. I always noticed it especially at home games, and I think part of that stems from his competitiveness and desire to be great for his fans.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's been widely reported that Beane already had a trade deal in place with the Broncos if their guy (Chubb) wasn't there, but he was.

Here's one of the places I heard the report on Beane trying to trade up to 4

Thanks.  I still have to watch the full thing.  Of course, the Broncos weren't telling the Bills who the Broncos wanted, so it I suppose it could have been Josh.  Beane had to wonder, and that's why he would have been interested in the Browns' pick.  

I simply don't understand the Giants or the Broncos.   They clearly didn't do their homework.  Sanders is far from the first person in the NFL who has said "I've never seen anyone in the NFL throw a ball like that."   Everyone knew Josh had supreme physical skills; how those teams didn't do the homework to find out that he had the other stuff too is beyond me.  

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I really don't disagree, and anyone who insinuates I'm saying Allen will suck this year is unable to have a complex thought. 

I think Josh Allen is the most physically talented NFL QB out there today and maybe in the history of the NFL. I also think his competitiveness and desire to win is right up there with the all-time greats. But one thing about Allen that's simultaneously super encouraging and leaves me with a small amount of anxiety in the short term is how young/inexperienced in the sport he still is, especially when compared with his peers. I think this has been rehashed over and over, but when you go through the history of Josh Allen playing QB (multi-sport athlete in HS, didn't physically grow into himself til late, 1 year as a JuCo starter, 2 years as a borderline D1 starter, etc.) he's not only still learning the position but the whole idea of crazy packed stadiums and media spotlight is relatively new to him as opposed to a guy like Mahomes, who had a professional athlete as a father and played in packed stadiums at a D1 school throughout college.

Again, I think last year was the best thing for him and I think he's over that, but in his first 2 years there were moments where he seemed overly excited and would miss a play or 2. I always noticed it especially at home games, and I think part of that stems from his competitiveness and desire to be great for his fans.

The empty stadium thing is a good point.  It came at a perfect time in his career.  Frankly, I think he has another year of growth ahead of him.  In two or three seasons he will be elite.   Nothing will faze him, he will lead the team with precision, and he will slice and dice opponents with his arm.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Personally I was happy for Mitch I really believe he probably didn’t have this kind of fan support in Chicago a number one overall pick any comes to Buffalo in order to see what real fan support is like

Trubisky's past has nothing to do with fan support and everything to do with FO and coaching support.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I wish I wasn’t worried about the crowds, but I agree.  As much as people say “they’re professional athletes, they’ve been playing in front of huge crowds forever.  Well, Josh hasn’t really. He has a few times, but an nfl primetime or playoff game is a different experience as a QB.  I’m confident that he’s going to be great this season, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he made more mistakes than last season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Beerball said:

Trubisky's past has nothing to do with fan support and everything to do with FO and coaching support.

Probably both. Trubisky kind of reminds me of Losman temperamentally in that like JP, I feel like Mitch will give it his all for whoever he is with, but also want to, in turn, feel welcomed and supported, even if things aren't as great as they could be.

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

If that’s the case, I bet they only keep 2 (JA & MT). Release Fromm and Webb and pick Webb back up on practice squad. Frees up another spot on the active roster for another DL, WR, or exclusive special teamer. 

Fromm to PS, Webb to QB coach.

6 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Anyone just see the the Kim Jones report on NFL Network? She reported Beane tried moving all the way to #1 to secure Allen. Hadn’t heard that reported yet I don’t think. 

If this is true, which I have a hard time believing, but if true...that would purely be FU**ED up if it was the Bills who sabotaged Allen the night before the draft to ensure he at least fell to #5.  

• Eyeroll 1

16 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

If this is true, which I have a hard time believing, but if true...that would purely be FU**ED up if it was the Bills who sabotaged Allen the night before the draft to ensure he at least fell to #5.  

and if they did... nicely done!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

The Laremy Tunsil special?

• Like (+1) 1

I see all the reports that say Allen and the offense weren't as sharp today, but I don't know what was expected with Diggs and Sanders both having vet rest days. With those two out it was really just Beasley and Kumerow getting targets. There was a lot of pressure from Allen's left, and now that I know it was Bobby Hart at LT I can understand why.

I know I mentioned this earlier but Davis was a non-factor today. He had one target from Allen in 11-on-11s but Levi Wallace easily won the battle and kept Davis from having a chance at the catch. I don't see Davis being a true #2 WR any time soon.

Moss and Breida each had a drop in 11-on-11s. Singletary didn't see the field with the 1st team offense much so I don't think he had any targets. I am still concerned about the RBs in the passing game. Luckily we have an elite WR corps to make up for it, but I was hoping to see Brieda add another element to this offense.

This was my first time attending a training camp session before the team wears pads and my overall perspective is that it's really hard to judge anything. I guess you could say Moss looked good today like some of these reports say, but there are times where a player in position to make a tackle pulls up and Moss would just keep running until he reached the endzone. That isn't a real sign of anything.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I was mildly concerned about this last year until the Colts playoff game. I know the stadium wasn't at full capacity but there were a lot of fans there and Allen carried the team to a win.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Yeah, better hope the Allen Family doesn't believe that!

If I knew how to post gifs, I would post the gif of Bill Murray in Kingpin pretending to be scared when Munson bowls a strike... but I don't know how to, so you win this round technology!

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I wish I wasn’t worried about the crowds, but I agree.  As much as people say “they’re professional athletes, they’ve been playing in front of huge crowds forever.  Well, Josh hasn’t really. He has a few times, but an nfl primetime or playoff game is a different experience as a QB.  I’m confident that he’s going to be great this season, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he made more mistakes than last season. 

If only we could point to a Sunday night or Thanksgiving primetime game against a hostile crowd as evidence to counter this narrative....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Fromm to PS, Webb to QB coach.

I’m for that, but if Fromm puts anything on tape in preseason, he’s most likely gone if cut. The league is a sucker for untapped QB potential. Webb may not want to be done playing. And he’s not as big a flight risk if cut. 

6 minutes ago, yall said:

If only we could point to a Sunday night or Thanksgiving primetime game against a hostile crowd as evidence to counter this narrative....

Killjoy. They were having such fun twisting their panties together.

• Haha (+1) 7