CBS Sports Top 10 NFL HC's

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-head-coach-rankings-andy-reid-edges-bill-belichick-as-no-1-bruce-arians-matt-lafleur-crack-top-10/

5. Sean McDermott (Bills)

Season: 5th with Bills and as HC
Career record: 38-26 (.594)
Playoff record: 2-3

Like Frank Reich, his record isn't all that impressive yet, but he's navigated enough cloudy waters -- front-office change, QB uncertainty, etc. -- to build the makings of a perennial contender. He's smart without being brash, his specialty (defense) has been apparent, and he's patiently overseen Josh Allen's emergence as a potential top five signal-caller. The potential is high.

• Like (+1) 4

Marv is a HOF coach and I'm not sure I would have ever rated him as high as 5th at any time during his tenure...

Jimmy Johnson

Bill Parcells

Bill Walsh

Joe Gibbs

Don Shula (although debatable as we always kicked their butts)

Mike Holmgren

Chuck Noll/Bill Cowher

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Colin Cowherd was just discussing this list on his radio show. He said Brian Flores should have been rated much higher than 17 ("there are not 16 coaches better than him") and Matt LaFleur should have been much lower, as he inherited Aaron Rodgers and just tweaked the offense a little to make it more physical.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, chongli said:

Colin Cowherd was just discussing this list on his radio show. He said Brian Flores should have been rated much higher than 17 ("there are not 16 coaches better than him") and Matt LaFleur should have been much lower, as he inherited Aaron Rodgers and just tweaked the offense a little to make it more physical.

I have to agree on Flores, I think he is an excellent head coach, what he did with the Dolphins his first year was a borderline miracle, remember people used to snicker at the Dolphins for trading away talent and recall the Tank for Tua comments.  (ironically they end up with him and I think Tua will be at best a mediocre starting NFL QB).

• Like (+1) 2

I think Flores is overrated. They had to win the last game and got blown out. Plus, he didn’t know how to handle the Fitzpatrick/Tua situation and now doesn’t know what to do with Xavier who is already holding out with a top 3 or 5 CB contract. 

It doesn’t seem to me he has good people or management skills. He’s like that jump to conclusion guy and lumberg from office space put into one.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I have to agree on Flores, I think he is an excellent head coach, what he did with the Dolphins his first year was a borderline miracle, remember people used to snicker at the Dolphins for trading away talent and recall the Tank for Tua comments.  (ironically they end up with him and I think Tua will be at best a mediocre starting NFL QB).

I’m personally not a big Flores fan. I thought he was going to be better than he’s been. He still only won 5 games that year. I don’t really get the hype around him. This year will define him I suppose. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think Flores did some damage to Tua by pulling him from games when they needed a clutch performance.  The move looks especially short sighted since the season ended up being a non playoff season for them.  I guess we won't really know for sure until we see how Tua develops, but I think it would be fair to place some of the blame on Flores if he is not very good.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I think Flores did some damage to Tua by pulling him from games when they needed a clutch performance.  The move looks especially short sighted since the season ended up being a non playoff season for them.  I guess we won't really know for sure until we see how Tua develops, but I think it would be fair to place some of the blame on Flores if he is not very good.

Maybe.

Yes we shall see how he develops but I think Tua sucks and I am not going to put the blame on Flores.  Flores did what he had to to try and win games.

Tua is a bigger injury prone version of Mac Jones.  Alabama products great  with short passes, highly accurate in college where they consistently played inferior teams.  Lets see how Jones handles real pressure &  competition on the NFL.  If he fizzles out, i wont be shocked at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Maybe.

Yes we shall see how he develops but I think Tua sucks and I am not going to put the blame on Flores.  Flores did what he had to to try and win games.

Tua is a bigger injury prone version of Mac Jones.  Alabama products great  with short passes, highly accurate in college where they consistently played inferior teams.  Lets see how Jones handles real pressure &  competition on the NFL.  If he fizzles out, i wont be shocked at all.

If Tua sucks - why start and play him ahead of Fitz that had the team in playoff contention.  That is on Flores.

Once you have decided to start Tua - why pull him out of 3 games at the end - is he not good enough or needs more time - then he was not ready to start - on Flores.

Basically they lost opportunity to gain him valuable experience in end of game and pressure situations by pulling him and you missed the playoffs by choosing to start him over Fitz.  It was the worst of both worlds.  That is all on the HC.

Their defense way overachieved and they lost out due to Flores.  I think he is a middle of the road guy that has lost part of that team with his handling of the team and the QB.

The Bills could of been in the same boat with the benching of Tyrod and Peterman, but McDermott talked with the team leaders and got things righted and found a way to make the playoffs.  Flores with a better team benched Fitz and refused to go back until it was to late and they missed out.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

If Tua sucks - why start and play him ahead of Fitz that had the team in playoff contention.  That is on Flores.

Once you have decided to start Tua - why pull him out of 3 games at the end - is he not good enough or needs more time - then he was not ready to start - on Flores.

Basically they lost opportunity to gain him valuable experience in end of game and pressure situations by pulling him and you missed the playoffs by choosing to start him over Fitz.  It was the worst of both worlds.  That is all on the HC.

Their defense way overachieved and they lost out due to Flores.  I think he is a middle of the road guy that has lost part of that team with his handling of the team and the QB.

The Bills could of been in the same boat with the benching of Tyrod and Peterman, but McDermott talked with the team leaders and got things righted and found a way to make the playoffs.  Flores with a better team benched Fitz and refused to go back until it was to late and they missed out.

WE will disagree and not going to debate every nuance of starting/not starting a QB that I think sucks, is not anything that interests me but I will say comparing starting Tua versus Peterman/Tyrod is absurd.

18 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

WE will disagree and not going to debate every nuance of starting/not starting a QB that I think sucks, is not anything that interests me but I will say comparing starting Tua versus Peterman/Tyrod is absurd.

Great - it is absurd, but who started Tua over Fitz?  Someone made that call and if Tua sucks - then who is to blame for starting him?

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Great - it is absurd, but who started Tua over Fitz?  Someone made that call and if Tua sucks - then who is to blame for starting him?

As I said, this debate I have no interest.

The real question for me is not who is to blame for starting a QB selected at #5 but who was to blame for Picking him at #5.

37 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

They would have missed the playoffs regardless.  Fitz has never and will never take a team to the playoffs.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m personally not a big Flores fan. I thought he was going to be better than he’s been. He still only won 5 games that year. I don’t really get the hype around him. This year will define him I suppose. 

I absolutely don't get the Flores hype.  A 5-win season is not a "miraculous" job.  McD getting the 2017 Bills to 9 wins, and then the talent-purged roster in 2018 to 6 wins, are much more impressive feats.

McD is still underrated and Flores is overrated.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, eball said:

I absolutely don't get the Flores hype.  A 5-win season is not a "miraculous" job.  McD getting the 2017 Bills to 9 wins, and then the talent-purged roster in 2018 to 6 wins, are much more impressive feats.

Many of the "experts" had the Bills as a 1 or 2 win team in 2018. I believe the NY Post predicted them to go winless. When he got 6 wins out of that team I was sold on McDermott as a good coach. Talent wise that team absolutely sucked.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

At what point does PFT lose the "Pro" and get demoted to "Amateur Football Talk?"  

PFT shows their acumen by producing the most rage inducing lists. They pick what they know will get people talking by not being so absurd that you look at the list and immediately walk away, but being to pick results that they know will upset people. They're highly skilled at it and people are so ready to be outraged that they keep going back for more and more.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Many of the "experts" had the Bills as a 1 or 2 win team in 2018. I believe the NY Post predicted them to go winless. When he got 6 wins out of that team I was sold on McDermott as a good coach. Talent wise that team absolutely sucked.

I think they had them as a 0-2 win team in 2017 because of all the talent they purged.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Agree. I think he went away from Fitz a little too early also. Yeah I think he is overrated also....

How Gruden, with a career record of 114-110, got a ten year contract for $100 MILLION is beyond me. 

Oh, yeah…….it’s the Ray-Dahs. Never mind. I’m glad I’m not a Raider fan, even if he starts winning. I just don’t like the little fellah. It’s kinda personal. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-head-coach-rankings-andy-reid-edges-bill-belichick-as-no-1-bruce-arians-matt-lafleur-crack-top-10/

5. Sean McDermott (Bills)

Season: 5th with Bills and as HC
Career record: 38-26 (.594)
Playoff record: 2-3

Like Frank Reich, his record isn't all that impressive yet, but he's navigated enough cloudy waters -- front-office change, QB uncertainty, etc. -- to build the makings of a perennial contender. He's smart without being brash, his specialty (defense) has been apparent, and he's patiently overseen Josh Allen's emergence as a potential top five signal-caller. The potential is high.

Front Office change?? come on.  

Pegula had already made it clear Whaley was a dead man walking and Beane was hired before McD's first OTAs as HC.  

I'm a fan and have virtually no idea what I am talking about. I watch the film but have no real idea what the player's responsibilities are on any given play.  

I post about pass rush as the teams greatest need.  

What happens?  Taron Johnson makes one of the top 3 plays in franchise history with a McD zone defense rushing just four guys.  

That said since I'm a fan at heart I will point out McD appears to have been outcoached by Reid terribly. Reich seemed to have a better game plan just the wrong QB.  

• Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think when the dust settles Sean will be the longest tenured head coach in Bills history. He will be a HOFer and bring at least 1 Lombardi to Buffalo. 

It could’ve been Lou Saban but he could never stay in one place very long.  Two short stints with the Bills:  first one he leads the team to two AFL Championships.  In second one, he turns a horrible team into a playoff team and makes OJ a HOF RB.

6 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

It could’ve been Lou Saban but he could never stay in one place very long.  Two short stints with the Bills:  first one he leads the team to two AFL Championships.  In second one, he turns a horrible team into a playoff team and makes OJ a HOF RB.

Looking back if Ferguson didn't have to play that playoff game against the Chargers on one leg, I think the Bills would have had an excellent chance to win it all in 1980. So it could have been Knox as well.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Especially considering the fact that Fitz is gone. They had to know they’d be handing the reigns over to Tua this season. Fitz wasn’t coming back to be the backup, and they never had any intention of making him the starter. If you’re going to use Fitz as the “closer”, they should have been open to the idea of brining Fitz back as starter this season. Let Tua sit for a season or two, and give him his chance in 2022 or 2023. The Dolphins had no intention of bringing Fitz back, so Tua should have just been allowed to sink or swim last season. The Fish were never Super Bowl contenders. Desperate attempts at a platoon QB system to sneak into the playoffs didn’t mesh with long term plans for Tua imo. Why take away valuable reps for your future starter in hopes of a likely first round playoff exit ? If Fitz were in their immediate plans, I’d view it differently. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't understand what is so complex about Flores starting Tua. The Dolphins needed to evaluate him and get him game time for the future. 

And for all of you Tua sucks crowd, his passer rating was 87 with 11 TD and 5 INT. Josh Allen first year passer rating was 67 with 10TD and 12 INT. Tua doesn't have the physical tools Allen has but nobody on this board and probably not even Flores knows just yet how good or bad Tua will play.

• Agree 2