One Last Panthers to Bills Domino left to fall: Kawann Short

DT Kawann Short 

Reasons to get him:

Was one of the elite DTs a few years ago (on par with Aaron Donald - they both had 11 sacks one year).

Has not played the last two years due to rotator cuff injuries - so actually has less miles on his body than his peers.

Great familiarity with McD and Beane.

Is one of the few compete DTs - can do it all - pass rush, run stop etc.

Has had a ton of success playing alongside Star Lotuleilei.

Can be a nice role model for Ed Oliver to emulate.

With the FA  pot of gold drying up for a lot of teams - he will likely be available for less than 5 mill per year.

Familiarity with Eric Washington.

Reason not to get him:

Age.

Obada has filled in for him decently - so Beane might think there would be duplication with Obada also being on the roster.

Money is better spent on an edge rusher.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

DT Kawann Short 

Reasons to get him:

Was one of the elite DTs a few years ago (on par with Allan Donald - they both had 11 sacks one year).

Has not played the last two years due to rotator cuff injuries - so actually has less miles on his body than his peers.

With the FA  pot of gold drying up for a lot of teams - he will likely be available for less than 5 mill per year.

Reason not to get him:

Age.

Obada has filled in for him decently - so Beane might think there would be duplication with Obada also being on the roster.

I thought Obada is a DE, and Short is a DT, I'm not really sure, I'm just asking?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

I thought Obada is a DE, and Short is a DT, I'm not really sure, I'm just asking?

Yes. Obada listed as a De but seems like hes done some good work at the 3tech. Short is a bigger more prototypical 1tech more like Starr i believe. I think the injury history is a major concern for the guy. Wouldnt be shocked to see us shore up the 1tech with a mid rounder this year.

18 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We need a young 1T to replace Star who is most likely playing his last season in Buffalo. I see us drafting either a Phillips or Basham by round 2. And I could see us using a 5th on a 1T DT.

Basham's a bad fit for our defense. Just don't get your heart set on him.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

DT Kawann Short 

Reasons to get him:

Was one of the elite DTs a few years ago (on par with Allan Donald - they both had 11 sacks one year).

Reason not to get him:

Age.

Being right about Obada has gone straight to your head, huh?!  🤪

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’m not a “Boogie” fan either 

Torn on him, because he just oozes the type of under-athletic player who always just gets it done. I think as a football player, in a vacuum, I like him, just not as fit in Buffalo. He's similar to Shaq Barrett when he came out, the difference is Barrett went undrafted, Basham will be a 2nd round pick. Easy to take a chance on a guy like that as a UDFA, but when your bookend DE is also more of a high-motor/lower athleticism guy, I just think that's a recipe for problems...

Edited by glazeduck
  • Agree 3

56 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

DT Kawann Short 

Reasons to get him:

Was one of the elite DTs a few years ago (on par with Aaron Donald - they both had 11 sacks one year).

Reason not to get him:

Age.

There's going to be a LOT of guys where the following could be copied/pasted as an answer for in the coming weeks...

This is a guy who will depend heavily on: market and asking price, health, how the draft shakes out, possibly even how minicamps look...

Obviously he knows the scheme (and half the roster! 🤣) very well, so he's plug'n'play, but frankly, there'd really be no need for him if we were to get, say, an Alim McNiel or (a guy several of us like later) a Tadarrell Slaton, later. But sure, worth keeping tabs on in case we go other directions... 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We need a young 1T to replace Star who is most likely playing his last season in Buffalo. I see us drafting either a Phillips or Basham by round 2. And I could see us using a 5th on a 1T DT.

Looking at the Carolina Panthers depth chart it looks like no 1 techs will be available for a while. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Yes. Obada listed as a De but seems like hes done some good work at the 3tech. Short is a bigger more prototypical 1tech more like Starr i believe. I think the injury history is a major concern for the guy. Wouldnt be shocked to see us shore up the 1tech with a mid rounder this year.

Short is closer to Oliver size then Star. 

15 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Aaron's brother??

Cheaper Mexican Equivalent ;) 

9 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

No more Carolina guys please, I was fed up after Tolbert.

I always liked the way the bowling ball with legs ran.....he just didn't have anything left in the tank when he got here.

16 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There is no particular reason to think Star is playing his last season here, beyond the fact that a number of people on these boards don't like the guy.

Now, of course if we see serious regression - for any player - that's different.

But barring that, the Bills like him and if cut after this year they would save very little money. As long as he continues playing well, he could very very easily be here two or even three years.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them picking a 1-tech who's a space eater later. But even if they do they might easily keep Star for a while anyway.

As far as Kawann Short, he was a good player and I liked him but  ... $$$. Was never a real space eater, more athletic and less of an immoveable object.

Edited by Thurman#1

18 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

DT Kawann Short 

Reasons to get him:

Reason not to get him:

Age.

Hell, why not???

15 hours ago, klos63 said:

They like saying 1T and 3T. Makes them sound smart.

I see your superior intelligence has found us out 🙄

I don't think football genius is needed to know we more from the DT position than we got last year.  If there's a nice pocket for the QB to step into and throw, DE doesn't get home.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It does, won’t lie 😎

He’s 30 pounds lighter and 2 seconds faster. 

Supposedly he put on weight so that he can play on the inside and that is when he became more productive. So he is really more of a 275-280 guy than the 265 guy. 

12 hours ago, below said:

Kawann and Star do NOT play the same position.

They started at DT TOGETHER for the panthers.

They were an excellent tandem at the beginning of their careers.

Short was demonstrably the better linemen which is why they kept him. Star eats up blockers without a lot of push. Short could push the middle very effectively. Together they made the middle of the Panther’s line immovable. 
    The question is, can they get back anywhere near that level. IF they could, for a short term Super Bowl push, it would be great to have them together.

It’s a BIG if!!!

8 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Do you say the same thing about people clarifying guard versus tackle?

Only if I'm making a joke, like I was here.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He probably saves it for people distinguishing center from guard.  I mean they're all interior OL why should anyone expect them to have different skill sets?

Jesus christ, can't anyone take a joke.

Why so serious?

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I see your superior intelligence has found us out 🙄

I don't think football genius is needed to know we more from the DT position than we got last year.  If there's a nice pocket for the QB to step into and throw, DE doesn't get home.

Lighten up, Francis. Just trying to make a little joke. JFC

• Haha (+1) 1