Round 1 Playoff: Colts at Bills - Sat. 1/9 1:05pm

YoloinOhio

On 1/4/2021 at 11:23 PM, mannc said:

I know it’s a week-to-week league, but the Doug Marrone-led Jags notched their only win of the season against the Colts.  This is not a juggernaut we’re facing on Saturday.

Since Doug Marrone should he be hired as Defense assistant for playoffs?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, finn said:

At the risk of hyperbole, he's as accurate, smart and mobile as Young and as big as Elway. In short, he's a bigger, faster, stronger Mahomes. I say that not as a homer but based on the evidence. No, he hasn't won the Super Bowl yet, but otherwise he's simply offers more than Mahomes. (Will lightning strike me dead by comparing him to the Holy One?)

I have to say the best comparison I've heard is still that one analyst saying "Brett Favre playing as Cam Newton in Madden" although I think Josh's passing ability is way ahead of Cam at any point in his career

Edited by InEnemyTerritory

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Allen should have a day.  I believe Indy has given up one of the most 20+ yard pass plays this year.  Their corners can't hold up.

They have a really good running back, but I think we are playing well enough on defense to force a punt or two. I hope we see the pad-popping, aggressive Edmunds that made an appearance against Miami. I was really pleased with his form, heads up but kept the pads low, took good angles, and wrapped up till his teammates swarmed to the ball.

Our safeties need to be on their toes early and play more disciplined in coverage expecting at least one trick play. Two weeks in a row we allowed a flee-flicker type play where the second player to get the ball behind the LOS lobbed a deep pass on us. Both times those receivers were open and the passes were dropped. That will not go unnoticed by a team that knows getting a lead on us early may help them control the game.

Our offense is looking sharp and if they can get on the board early, Indy will have a tough time protecting their QB with their starting LT out.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, InEnemyTerritory said:

I have to say the best comparison I've heard is still that one analyst saying "Brett Favre playing as Cam Newton in Madden" although I think Josh's passing ability is way ahead of Cam at any point in his career

Elway's arm, Kelly's toughness, Staubach's elusiveness, in Big Ben's body frame

I've posted before I think his intermediate throws are as good as any QB in NFL history, right up there with Marino.  The combination of accuracy and velocity is unmatched and it is the throw that separates him from the rest of the league.  Wilson and Rodgers have better deep balls and Brady/Brees are better on the dink and dunk stuff.  Only Mahommes is comparable when looking at the full array of throws.  

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, 97bills said:

I got a question why don’t teams play us like we did KC 6 DB and make us beat them with the run we haven’t really showed to many times this year we can stick to the run. I wouldn’t be surprised if the colts do this or try go all in on the pass if we run so be it it’s better to give up some runs then big plays to the pass. What do y’all think go bills. 

Good post.  I think it's the running ability of Allen.  At least some of the time they employ a spy on Allen.  If they had 6 DBs I suspect some of the RPO plays that are quick slants would change to runs off tackle

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

And we didnt lose to Tenn because they gashed us on the ground (turnovers and we were down ALL OF OUR CBs) 

Yup, Tenn game was a travesty of COVID, injury, and delays that resulted in a lopsided loss fueled by -3 in TO margin. 

KC and Patriots first game, the Bills run D was gashed.  Pats backup RB had over 6 YPC.  

I still fear physical teams and Edmunds ability to read the run, but there is no doubt the defense is playing better.  Dline is healthy and even with a few guys up there in age are well rested.  

On 1/5/2021 at 11:39 AM, CapeBreton said:

We will not lose to Phillip Rivers, let him throw all day and just stop Jonathan Taylor. I should be an NFL coach me thinks.

Agree. His history would suggest he will turn it over if they are able to make him throw 30+.  

As always should the Bills score early with TDs and not FGs, they can force Reich to abandon the run game which plays right into the Bills strength.  

Phillips is so immobile. I would really like to see some well timed DB blitzes. I think they can get to him.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Willie McGinest said on NFLN the colts can win by doubling Diggs and handing the ball to Taylor. Seems easy enough on defense. Why didn’t everyone else just do that all year. 

LMAO  Sure,  Ignore Brown, McKenzie, Davis, and the 10 others who have caught a TD pass.  

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Willie McGinest said on NFLN the colts can win by doubling Diggs and handing the ball to Taylor. Seems easy enough on defense. Why didn’t everyone else just do that all year. 

Ignorance is bliss.

• Like (+1) 2

Yep no one has tried to double diggs and run the ball on us...

Theres no easy template to beat us. You're going to have to hope our defense reverts to early season form ( when both LBs and DBs were out) , allowing long drives being the more important notion of "stopping the run", that our offense turns the ball over 2-3 times ( yes, not just win turnover battle), score on ST or Defense, then I really believe you have a mobile QB who can run for 1st downs, then hopes a clutch QB chokes in the 4th quarter...which he has not often done lately. ( not even in AZ loss) 

Even with this happening we were 1-2 plays from winning 2/3 losses...even the Titans game was nearly back in reach in the 3rd quarter. Again, I dont think we can be beat by a team without a mobile QB. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Its really simple. You double up on Diggs it will open up the other WR's especially Brown which was Allens #1 last year. We have great WR's and the other teams know that.

Its great that brown is back and healthy.

Edited by Mr. Magoo
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

I actually thought today was Friday 😭

Its almost Friday where I am but then again the game doesn't broadcast until 4am Sunday morning either. I got my beer, frozen pizza and nuts today. Just something to do to make it feel like the game is soon. So excited for this.

Edited by Rochesterian Bills Fan

6 minutes ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

Its almost Friday where I am but then again the game doesn't broadcast until 4am Sunday morning either. I got my beer, frozen pizza and nuts today. Just something to do to make it feel like the game is soon. So excited for this.

Australia?

That's intense and so awesome man!

Joe Marino had his crossover podcast today with the colts analyst and he said they’ve mainly played man recently and that Diggs will likely be shadowed by Xavier Rhodes, who coincidentally was his former teammate in Minnesota. I assume they practiced against each other for years. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Joe Marino had his crossover podcast today with the colts analyst and he said they’ve mainly played man recently and that Diggs will likely be shadowed by Xavier Rhodes, who coincidentally was his former teammate in Minnesota. I assume they practiced against each other for years. 

dear god I hope they play man. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

If they play Man then Josh is going to have a huge day slinging the rock. It will be 350+ and 4 TD's or more. 

1 minute ago, H2o said:

If they play Man then Josh is going to have a huge day slinging the rock. It will be 350+ and 4 TD's or more. 

i know he hasnt needed them much this year, but i gotta wonder if they take the shackles off his legs if we're spreading them out in man and theres plenty of room for it.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I think Allen running is going to be a key to this game.  Colts have a stout run D with a nice D line, I'm not expecting much out of our backs.  I think we spread it out and see several designed QB runs.

I agree. I think we will see some QB power runs a la the Houston game last year. Give the Colts something else to think about early.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i know he hasnt needed them much this year, but i gotta wonder if they take the shackles off his legs if we're spreading them out in man and theres plenty of room for it.

It’s win or go home. I expect it. Just please please please hang onto the ball. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 5

32 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

good thought— but I think there is no chance. It’s pretty amazing, but he is so much more lethal Now throwing. Basically like Mahomes and Russell Wilson. Running is a waste of a play.

You can even tell his mindset has changed re running generally—  he had a nice run last week on a scramble when he was under pressure and it almost pained him to have to run. 

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

good thought— but I think there is no chance. It’s pretty amazing, but he is so much more lethal Now throwing. Basically like Mahomes and Russell Wilson. Running is a waste of a play.

You can even tell his mindset has changed re running generally—  he had a nice run last week on a scramble when he was under pressure and it almost pained him to have to run. 

I agree he can do way more damage via the air than with his feet, but its something you do to keep defenses looking for it/planning for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PaattMaann said:

I agree he can do way more damage via the air than with his feet, but its something you do to keep defenses looking for it/planning for it. 

Especially when I don’t think they (and maybe rightfully so) don’t need to fully respect our running game. At least not to the degree you would with a team with explosive backs