Round 1 Playoff: Colts at Bills - Sat. 1/9 1:05pm

YoloinOhio

I think most of us would acknowledge that the only question in this match-up, is are the Bills (Josh Allen, most importantly) ready to win in the Playoffs.  

The Colts are a good, well coached, disciplined football team, but we are better.  This isn't about the Colts... It's about us, coming out and playing like we're capable of.  

We either win, or lose, but I don't think the Colts can beat us.  This game is a referendum on the coaches, team and QB being ready to make that jump.  If they are, we're legitimate Super Bowl Contenders.

• Like (+1) 9

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think most of us would acknowledge that the only question in this match-up, is are the Bills (Josh Allen, most importantly) ready to win in the Playoffs.  

The Colts are a good, well coached, disciplined football team, but we are better.  This isn't about the Colts... It's about us, coming out and playing like we're capable of.  

We either win, or lose, but I don't think the Colts can beat us.  This game is a referendum on the coaches, team and QB being ready to make that jump.  If they are, we're legitimate Super Bowl Contenders.

I think our playoff run depends more on our defense in the playoffs.  As they say, offense wins games, defense wins championships.  I'm encouraged the way our defense has played this past month. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I think our playoff run depends more on our defense in the playoffs.  As they say, offense wins games, defense wins championships.  I'm encouraged the way our defense has played this past month. 

I agree insofar as the defense needs to keep up with what they've been doing early in games, which is to hold the opponent's scoring down while the Bills offense sorts things out; then, in the second half, they need to tee off and get that ball. 

So, basically, what they've been up to the last month or so. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I just wanna say one thing about this game. Reich was part of an explosive offense that was neutralized in SB XXV. Hopefully if Daboll see the Colts employing multiple DBs to neutralize the passing game he goes to running the ball with Moss/Singletary.

Shorten up the passing game, throw to RBs, find a few screen successes, etc.

Edited by Pokebball
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I just wanna say one thing about this game. Reich was part of an explosive offense that was neutralized in SB XXV. Hopefully if Daboll see the Colts employing multiple DBs to neutralize the passing game he goes to running the ball with Moss/Singletary.

That Bills offense produced 17 points, 18 first downs and 371 yards while having the ball for 19 minutes

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

That offense was neutralized only because Marv Levi didn’t have the guts to tell Jim Kelly to just keep handing the Ball to Thurman Thomas until the Giants adjusted the defense to stop the run. 9 yards  a carry and only 15 attempts. Not enough talk about Marves failure to adjust. Hopefully Daboll is more flexible, he does seem to be getting better at in game adjustments (ie) the Pittsburgh game...

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

That offense was neutralized only because Marv Levi didn’t have the guts to tell Jim Kelly to just keep handing the Ball to Thurman Thomas until the Giants adjusted the defense to stop the run. 9 yards  a carry and only 15 attempts. Not enough talk about Marves failure to adjust. Hopefully Daboll is more flexible, he does seem to be getting better at in game adjustments (ie) the Pittsburgh game...

🙏🙏🙏🙏

48 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yep. That’s where I’m at. You can’t look at the paper and say we should lose- but teams lose in the playoffs all the time that shouldn’t.

I’m confident we should win. That being said, I’m not confident of nuthin!

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Daboll has done an excellent job of developing the running game as the season has gone on. I don't have any worries about that if we have to mix it up, and think he'll adjust quickly if needed.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Colts aren't consistent this year as much as it pains me to say it.... We have all pretty much agreed on the Colts board that if this Bills team plays like they have the last few weeks, Colts have next to no chance.... Like I said in a previous post, the Colts might keep it close at half time (maybe a 7 point game) but the Bills will eventually blow them out by the end of the game. Indy seems to score and play great in the first half, and then struggles to score more than a field goal in the second half.... It's happened in 6 games this season where they are nearly shut out in the second half. Only way the Colts have a chance in this, if the Bills hurt themselves and not play up to their potential much like the Ravens have the last couple years in the playoffs..... I doubt it will happen though, the Bills look like a well oiled machine that is ready to play some playoff football.

• Like (+1) 2

If you want a "comp" for what this game will look like...something between the Steelers and Chargers games.  

And those were the 2 best QBs we've seen since the AZ game.  

Rivers isn't as good as either.  I'm not sure what I'm scared of on that offense other then Nelson Kelly and Taylor and if we can cover Hines.  I expect about 15 targets to RBs.  

The Colts D is probably better then both.  But I think you can throw it on them.   

If we don't turn the ball over we should win.  

Bills 30 Colts 14

Bass 3 FGs

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TylerD said:

Colts aren't consistent this year as much as it pains me to say it.... We have all pretty much agreed on the Colts board that if this Bills team plays like they have the last few weeks, Colts have next to no chance.... Like I said in a previous post, the Colts might keep it close at half time (maybe a 7 point game) but the Bills will eventually blow them out by the end of the game. Indy seems to score and play great in the first half, and then struggles to score more than a field goal in the second half.... It's happened in 6 games this season where they are nearly shut out in the second half. Only way the Colts have a chance in this, if the Bills hurt themselves and not play up to their potential much like the Ravens have the last couple years in the playoffs..... I doubt it will happen though, the Bills look like a well oiled machine that is ready to play some playoff football.

I'm not buying this anywhere near the level that many of your fans seem to be.  I think the Bills need show up focused and ready to play and if they do, it'll still be a close game.

• Like (+1) 1

Further more to my post, Colts only one time this year have been down more than 7 points through 3 quarters (that was the horrible game against the Titans) The exact state for the Colts (AFTER 3 QUARTERS) in ten games this season they have had a lead, 1 game they were tied, and 4 games they were down 7 or less.... Colts will keep this relatively close in my opinion for 2 or even 3 quarters.... But it's the 4th quarter where they have the most trouble and likely will lose the game.... Then again, they may very well lose it after the 1st quarter if they have a half ass performance, and the Bills show up like they have the last few weeks.

16 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I'm not buying this anywhere near the level that many of your fans seem to be.  I think the Bills need show up focused and ready to play and if they do, it'll still be a close game.

You may very well be right..... Colts just haven't been consistent and the Bills have been, but any given Sunday and the Colts did win 11 games so they aren't push overs by any means.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Well speaking for myself, it's not a question at all for me. He said ever since that loss to Houston last year it's been in his mind and he is more than ready along with the rest of the team. I don't remember the exact quote he said, but I can assure you these players along with a determined Allen, that they are more than ready to win in the playoffs.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

44 minutes ago, TylerD said:

Why do you think it is that they struggle in the 2nd half? Halftime  adjustments from the opponent? 

• Like (+1) 1

When you look at the gauntlet of games that the Bills just came through since the Hail Murray, show me another team that has been as tested

Arizona:  Bills get a red hot Zona team that lost an absolute thriller to the Phins the week before.  Murray can't be contained.  He'll scramble his way to a victory.  Allen and offense playing behind after lackluster 3rd quarter.  Allen leads them to victory and leaves 31 seconds on the clock.  Too tall Andre Hopkins literally steals the ball from three of our best defensive backs.  Crazy, season altering ending (if you read Dion Dawkin's letter). 

Bye week:  Bills have to listen to two weeks of critique about the Hopkins play.

Chargers:  Out of the bye week after a comeback thriller was denied.  Bosa on a one-man mission.  Herbert the shiny new toy.  Buffalo struggles to contain Bosa for a good chunk of the game.  Herbert throws for 317, Josh 157.  Line makes adjustments and Bosa is somewhat neutralized, but he walks away with 8 tackles and three sacks.  He was a menace.  Bills survive Chargers.  Could be wrong about the timing, but I think this is when Winters is moved off of line.

San Francisco:   MNF.  Narrative all week was Allen and Bills need some mojo.   Tua is coming, AFC East coming down to the wire week 16.  SF is wrecked by injuries, but they have a savant for a head coach who will neutralize Allen.  Saleh this, Saleh that..  Allen comes out and puts on an absolute clinic.  The tide  begins to turn.  

Steelers: SNF.  Second game under the national glare.  Big Ben and his five yards at a crack offense invades WNY.  Standoff for much of the first half until Taron Johnson makes the play of the game.  Buffalo comes out and remembers they have the front runner for OPOY and throws to him setting up TDs.  

Denver:  Third game with national attention.  Denver and their big bad Nick Fangio defense.  Denver wheels come off quick and Buffalo runs them out of the building starting in the second quarter.  AFC East secured.  Fans go crazy at airport at 2a.

Patriots:  MNF again.  National attention again.   Can the Bills sweep the Patriots? Belichick won't let that happen.  Bills blow the Patriots out.  Belichick gets booked for assault on a telephone.  Josh Allen is throwing TDs all over the place.

Dolphins:  1 O'clock game for the first time in forever.  Miami with everything to play for.  You know the story.  A big time scoring defense was embarrassed.  In fact their number 1 scoring defense finishes at number 5.  Ouch.

The common thread.  Bills played a gauntlet of good defenses, some highly regarded QBs, coaches and players and dismantled each and every one of them.  They literally got better each game.  They cut down on penalties.  They stayed reasonably healthy for this time of year.

Now the second season starts.  Show me a team that has played the level of competition that Buffalo has starting with Seattle...  This team is seasoned for post season play.  What looked like an absolutely killer schedule has really battle tested this team.  Let the postseason fun begin.

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1