Round 1 Playoff: Colts at Bills - Sat. 1/9 1:05pm

YoloinOhio

NFL Super Wild Card Weekend: One big question for each of the six games

1:05 p.m. ET (CBS) | Bills Stadium (Orchard Park, N.Y.)

Can any defense slow down the Bills?

It's remarkable how far the Bills have come over the last year. While the NFL stuck them in the early-Saturday wild-card slot again -- which is even earlier this year -- this Buffalo team could not be any more different than its 2019 edition. When I did this exercise a year ago, I asked if the Bills' defense was enough because Josh Allen was so erratic. Now, the Bills' offense is good enough to put up 56 against a terrific Dolphins defense, despite Allen being benched at halftime.

The Colts have a well-coached, playmaking defense led by DeForest Buckner and Darius Leonard that is up for a challenge, but that's unlikely to be enough. The return of Buffalo speedster John Brown on Sunday added another dimension for Allen, who finished the season playing better than any quarterback. (Even MVP-to-be Aaron Rodgers.) The Bills' defense has performed like a top-10 unit since Week 7, which will make it harder for a Colts offense without left tackle Anthony Castonzo to try to keep up.

Bills coach Sean McDermott is the rare defensive coordinator-turned-head coach who has embraced an aggressive offensive philosophy because he saw that a sound defense and running game would only take him so far. The Colts may learn a similar lesson Saturday.

There is also a highlight vid of Josh's passes yesterday.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-super-wild-card-weekend-one-big-question-for-each-of-the-six-games

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Rivers actually worries me a bit because weve struggled with him whenever weve played him for the most part. Different team different year i know. He gets the ball out quick like fitzpatrick and that has given us problems

I've always been a fan of his game, and his attitude. He had the unfortunate luck of spending his peak years in the shadow of Brady & Manning.

The games I've seen this year, he's just not the same guy. He's capable of some of the old brilliance, but it seems like he can get rattled more easily, and he floats and skips more passes than he used to.

Not that he can't still get it done, but he's not as scary as he used to be. Age is catching up.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Success said:

I've always been a fan of his game, and his attitude. He had the unfortunate luck of spending his peak years in the shadow of Brady & Manning.

The games I've seen this year, he's just not the same guy. He's capable of some of the old brilliance, but it seems like he can get rattled more easily, and he floats and skips more passes than he used to.

Not that he can't still get it done, but he's not as scary as he used to be. Age is catching up.

He’ll need to put up 40+ pts this week. Not sure he can especially if it’s ‘chilly’.

A Carolina native who’s spent his career in SD & now a dome it doesn’t look real great IMO.

Frazier will sell out on run.

• Like (+1) 1

Colts will be tough. They can run the ball with break away RB in Taylor. Veteran QB who will dump all day and work his way down field. A stout D who can bring pressure. Bills advantage is WR vs DB’s. That is the key for Bills on O. Manage the Colts run game on D. Much closer hard fought game then I’m seeing from Bills fans. Bills in a tight one. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Rivers actually worries me a bit because weve struggled with him whenever weve played him for the most part. Different team different year i know. He gets the ball out quick like fitzpatrick and that has given us problems

That was an NFL arm ago.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Colts will be tough. They can run the ball with break away RB in Taylor. Veteran QB who will dump all day and work his way down field. A stout D who can bring pressure. Bills advantage is WR vs DB’s. That is the key for Bills on O. Manage the Colts run game on D. Much closer hard fought game then I’m seeing from Bills fans. Bills in a tight one. 

Agreed.  

Teams that can run well scare me.  That's the one thing that can derail the Bills - an opponent chewing up big chunks of clock by grinding out 1st downs on the ground.

Those are frustrating games to watch, too. we've had some games this year where it felt like we only had 2-3 actual possessions in a half.  

TOP is a key indicator for this year's Bills. If we can keep that relatively even, we generally win.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Success said:

Well thing is, is that they have a pretty good running game. As they say, it's a QB's best friend. He has struggled a little maybe but if they get their running game going good it will open it up for him and that's what you don't want with his quick release.

In any event I have a lot of confidence in the Bills secondary and he has not seen this particular Bills secondary yet (if I'm not mistaken). We know this is not the Rivers from a few years ago when he came in and picked the Bills D apart.

He is gotten older and this is a very good secondary that will hopefully make his day difficult.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

The Bills dare other teams to string together 10-12 play drives...they know the opponent is going to fail or make a mistake

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Get up early and let Rivers’ noodle arm try and get them back in.

That's what we hope will happen. Then the secondary can get an INT or 2. Really going to come down to how well the Bills do against their rushing attack. Still though I have confidence in the secondary.

Allen and co. will put up some points. So will be great if the Bills can pull ahead, but I just think this will be a little closer game imo

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

How do you figure? They have played the titans (twice), bears, Steelers, browns, and ravens. 

All true, except the Titan's D is absolutely terrible.  They have the 5th worst defense in the league.  Their secondary especially is trash.

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

How do you figure? They have played the titans (twice), bears, Steelers, browns, and ravens. 

Bears and ravens I see as debatable but very comparable and maybe lean towards those teams. And a healthy steelers is better than the bills but they played them a week ago but when they played I would say the bills defense is currently better

The titans defense is bad, one of the worst defenses in the league on 3rd downs, browns have Garrett and thats it

Hot take: I dont think we need to stop the run to win.

Look at this past game, 200 plus yards and they barely beat the Jags. A JV offense and Jax could have won.

Rivers cant beat this D. Hes going to get sacked and cough up the ball. Im not saying this out of disrespect, Rivers has always turned the ball over a ton, even in games they win. 

Rivers cant run, so this is a huge bonus to our D who have eaten alive immobile QBs.

Both those will be brutal versus the Bills O. 

My big key to the game is force 3rd and longs. Get Rivers in this down and we will win. Chargers will need to score 35 to compete....can they do that? Not if they need to drive the field and convert 3rd downs. No sir.

Too many things need to line up for colts to win. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 2