Round 1 Playoff: Colts at Bills - Sat. 1/9 1:05pm

YoloinOhio

Just now, Pokebball said:

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Beasley thread, but what is the latest on Cole?  I'm guessing he won't be ready for this Saturday.  Hoping for the following weekend???

No news yet unless someone can pry something out of McDermott in his 4pm media call.  Wednesday will be first injury report. 

I always look at the three main matchups:

Our offense vs their defense, our defense vs their offense, and head coach vs head coach.

With all due respect to the Colts, who won 11 games and are a good, balanced playoff team -- I believe that all three of the above matchups favor Buffalo.

The one thing that has me a bit worried is that their defensive line, led by Deforest Buckner, has the potential to give our offensive line fits. Control the line of scrimmage and you control the game. BUT....The Steelers' front seven was no joke, either, and we put up 26 points against them. I do not believe that the Colts defense, overall, is as good as Pittsburgh's. Furthermore, with regard to pressure from the Colts' d-line -- Allen has just gotten so good (and calm) with his movement in the pocket and knowing when to roll to his right that I think he overcomes the challenges Indy's D presents.

Looking deep within myself and trying to put my homer-ism aside, I just don't see the Bills losing this one. I'm very cautious with my predictions of Bills success -- I had them going 9-7 or 10-6 this year -- but I see Bills victory this Sunday.

• Like (+1) 4

Of all the QB's in the AFC, Rivers is the guy I thought would be the best match-up, for obvious reasons.  He just can't run, and we don't have to worry about that kind of containment.  I think we can force a few mistakes out of him, also. 

That said, their running game & D are no joke, and they are very well coached.  This is the best AFC playoff line-up in literally decades. I remember years that even the 4-6 seeds were very marginal playoff teams, and the Pats (or Colts) could count on a cakewalk until the AFCCG.

This is such an important game. It's the 2nd to last monkey on our back (the 3rd to last being the actual playoff drought, and the last being a SB win).  I don't want any more monkeys on our back.  I like monkeys. I just don't like them on our back.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wjag said:

To me the one game on the docket that could be a blow out (either way) is the Baltimore-Tennessee game.  Tennessee is awful on 3rd down and defense.  But they have a battering ram for a RB that had Baltimore DBs running for cover last year.  Baltimore just rushed for 400 yards.  I could see them dismantling the Titans too by rushing it down their throats.  My gut tells me Ravens are motivated to stand up to the Titans who beat them this year in week 10 and derailed last year's coronation.

Yes I agree and also thin that the Ravens get the W this time around against the Titans. I think that game will be close. All depends which team slows down the others rushing attack enough to make a difference and which ever team that is I think we likely win.

2 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

I am not sure if you are suggesting this or not, but I am taking this like "the bills have been great on offense but dont be surprised if they go kind of conservative because thats what happens in the playoffs"...which, if that is what you are expecting, you are INSANE! 

This offense will be pedal to the metal, full throttle, unleashed. This is our teams identity, that is Josh's identity now. I fully expect them to throw the ball all around the yard and put up points, like they have all year. This better be what we see them attempt to do, its what we do! 

Ummm nah man. I'm simply saying that teams may keep this game a lot closer than some expect. Like if the Bills don't put up 30 or more points and the game is within a possession closing it out don't be surprised

Nothing to do with the Bills game plan. That's great and they will keep doing what got them here. 

9 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yes I agree and also thin that the Ravens get the W this time around against the Titans. I think that game will be close. All depends which team slows down the others rushing attack enough to make a difference and which ever team that is I think we likely win.

Ummm nah man. I'm simply saying that teams may keep this game a lot closer than some expect. Like if the Bills don't put up 30 or more points and the game is within a possession closing it out don't be surprised

Nothing to do with the Bills game plan. That's great and they will keep doing what got them here. 

oh ok, I just wasn't sure which way you were going with that. Yea playoff games do tend to be close, because well obviously its usually hard to get into the playoffs and the level of parity rises. That kind of goes with the territory. 

10 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

Did anyone watch their LT yesterday? Costanzo was playing at high level.

Obviously Jonathan went off for 250+ but was that between the tackles.... right side...etc

They love running a power run look to the right but then pitching to Taylor going left/weakside...their backup LT did a good job run blocking yesterday.

Costanzo out and Veldheer in is a big loss for the Colts. When Costanzo first got hurt a few weeks ago, I Read an article that had some kind of incredible stat in it, that since he was drafted, in games Costanzo didnt play due to injury, the offensive numbers for the colts dropped DRASTICALLY, as well as wins. Man I'm gonna see if I can find the stat. I do remember that in the game he got injured in, I think it was the Titans game, The colts went 0-8 on successful drives the rest of the game. He was hugely important to their offensive success. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

oh ok, I just wasn't sure which way you were going with that. Yea playoff games do tend to be close, because well obviously its usually hard to get into the playoffs and the level of parity rises. That kind of goes with the territory. 

Yeah, agree. I guess what I'm mainly trying to say is, some ppl are expecting the Bills to blow the Colts out. I think it will be closer and I don't recall too many blow outs during the playoffs the past few years. There may have been a couple but it's usually pretty rare.

2 hours ago, DJB said:

The Colts are a really good team. We can't take them lightly. Rivers is a statue with a noodle arm so that plays right into our hands nicely however. 

They are a very good 1sf half team , one of the best in the league 

2nd half is where they fall apart at times. We need to build a lead early and force Rivers to throw in the 2nd half 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yeah, agree. I guess what I'm mainly trying to say is, some ppl are expecting the Bills to blow the Colts out. I think it will be closer and I don't recall too many blow outs during the playoffs the past few years. There may have been a couple but it's usually pretty rare.

Last years wildcard round games were all close.

Overall there were several blow outs last year, two 17 point games, a 16 point game, a 20 point game....so half the games in last year alone were blow outs. I do agree I guess that there is a higher chance at a close game than a blow out. 

1 hour ago, Success said:

Of all the QB's in the AFC, Rivers is the guy I thought would be the best match-up, for obvious reasons.  He just can't run, and we don't have to worry about that kind of containment.  I think we can force a few mistakes out of him, also. 

That said, their running game & D are no joke, and they are very well coached.  This is the best AFC playoff line-up in literally decades. I remember years that even the 4-6 seeds were very marginal playoff teams, and the Pats (or Colts) could count on a cakewalk until the AFCCG.

This is such an important game. It's the 2nd to last monkey on our back (the 3rd to last being the actual playoff drought, and the last being a SB win).  I don't want any more monkeys on our back.  I like monkeys. I just don't like them on our back.

I hate monkeys, especially the flying ones. Those things scared the crap out me when I was a kid😡

• Haha (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Last years wildcard round games were all close.

Overall there were several blow outs last year, two 17 point games, a 16 point game, a 20 point game....so half the games in last year alone were blow outs. I do agree I guess that there is a higher chance at a close game than a blow out. 

I mean (my memory isn't the best) weren't those games pretty competitive for a lot of the game? I mean no blowouts like Bills/Finns yesterday when a team is up by 30 plus points with like 10 mins left in the 3rd qter.