Wallace interception spot/Camera angles

SoCal Deek

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He got lucky Big Ben underthrew it.  Washington had him beat.  But....what a great grab on the INT.  He was leaning back with his head tilted....those are difficult.

Agreed Collinsworthless was crying about interference, but the WR didn’t even know the ball was there it was so far behind him

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Does anyone know why the ball was placed where it was after the Wallace interception? He was finally tackled at the 50 but when they came back from commercial the ball was back at our 30. Was there a penalty? Did they say he was touched down? And while I’m on it...is anyone else totally annoyed with the Directors of these telecasts? They switch cameras so often it’s impossible to focus on anything. And their relentless pursuit of close up shots of players and coaches faces, while not showing the sideline angle until one second before the snap has me screaming at the TV every week!

They briefly mentioned something about being down by contact I thought

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Hold that thought....we need to show you a 12 second shot of TJ Watt with his hands on his hips, with no commentary.

because they kept the camera on him so long, i thought knox had a gruesome injury or something

I do wonder if Josh knew what the rule was when sliding, i.e. that it's from the point you start from.

I'm sure he had both plenty of time to get the extra yard, and that if he thought there was going to be any doubt, he would have made sure.

I really don't believe he didn't know where the down marker was, and just 'mistimed it'.

i'm also convivnced that the same situation will never happen again with him - it's not the sort of mistake he makes twice. ;)

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

The slide started before the marker - I was screaming at that....had to explain it to the wife.  When a QB slides....the end of the run is where the slide starts not ends.

Yeah, it was a bad play by Allen.  He thought he had the first down, but he didn't.   At that point it didn't matter, but you know that's just one more lesson learned.  

• Like (+1) 1

That was the one play from the Bills that made me angry. 

Ben underthrows that ball, Wallace picks it off - great, he fights for the ball and gains position. 

Then he gets up, and starts jogging like he's sealed the game, doesn't even try to reverse field and push the ball. He's jogging and slides down.  

You didn't ice the game with 7:10 left. Where was the urgency there? Return the interception. He left a lot of yards on the field. 

Yes it worked out because the Bills jammed the ball down the Steelers throats, but that was lack of awareness to me, lack of urgency. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

That’s not how I saw it.  To me, he was clearly past the mark when he slid.

It was the exact right call. 

He starts his slide before the marker. 

50 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Ben underthrows that ball, Wallace picks it off - great, he fights for the ball and gains position. 

Then he gets up, and starts jogging like he's sealed the game, doesn't even try to reverse field and push the ball. He's jogging and slides down.  

You didn't ice the game with 7:10 left. Where was the urgency there? Return the interception. He left a lot of yards on the field. 

Yes it worked out because the Bills jammed the ball down the Steelers throats, but that was lack of awareness to me, lack of urgency. 

I'm thinking he also thought/knew he was down by contact.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mannc said:

Speaking of curious spots, what happened near the end of the game when JA ran a beautiful bootleg on 2nd and 10, had a wide open field and slid (to my eye) a yard or two past the first down marker, only to have the ball marked short of the first down?

4 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

ya see.... i disagree with that. i think he started that slide passed where they marked it. but i havnt seen it slowed down

3 hours ago, mannc said:

That’s not how I saw it.  To me, he was clearly past the mark when he slid.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Admittedly, I have not seen a replay.

The refs actually got something right...

Josh Allen slide.png

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It was the exact right call. 

He starts his slide before the marker. 

I think Wallace knew he was down by contact - they went up together and he intercepted the ball and hit the ground.  The Steeler player and Wallace were in contact throughout the play.

The ref did not blow the whistle - so he took off and slide down to avoid any big hits since he knew he was down.

The Refs made the correct call and moved it back to where he was down.

No reason to be angry - the player knew he was down, but reacted delayed because the ref did not blow the whistle.  No sense in killing yourself when the play was complete when he landed on the ground.

11 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

The refs actually got something right...

Josh Allen slide.png

Nice screen grab.

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nice screen grab.

Thanks, Roch. Allen had plenty of room to angle out of bounds and pick up the first down without having to take a hit, IMO. The slide was unnecessary and a poor decision on his part but that is nit-picking. Maybe he picked up the defender late and thought he was closer than he actually was but Josh more than likely would have won that foot race to the sticks. As it turns out, it was a moot point anyway. In fairness to everyone who thought it was a bad spot, I thought it was too when I watched in real time during the game but the evidence shows otherwise.

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Because when you slide the ball is marked by the beginning of the slide point.

Guess the rule is such that once you slide you can't be hit much, you're giving yourself up as they say, so we're not going to give extra yards because you're a good slider.  So was the right call.

Could see the look on Allens eyes, he was surprised/pissed about it too.

I noticed he was surprised too.

I think analytics actually tell you to stop short in that situation because then you need 1 yard to end the game rather than 10 if you got a first down

3 hours ago, MJS said:

He began his slide before the first down marker. When you begin your slide it is immediately dead. Give it another watch.

" Beginning the slide" vs. when a part of his body (usually shin/knee or butt) touches. There can be a difference in time between when it begins and when it "ends" and the ball is to be spotted. Here's a blurb I found:  

image.thumb.png.3fa6755b09284a967c206c60e723fbdb.png

4 hours ago, mannc said:

Speaking of curious spots, what happened near the end of the game when JA ran a beautiful bootleg on 2nd and 10, had a wide open field and slid (to my eye) a yard or two past the first down marker, only to have the ball marked short of the first down?

On a slide it’s where you start it, not where you end. He started it before the sticks.

Wallace had contact with Steeler receiver when he made the pick and knee was down so forward progress put him at the 30.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Thanks, Roch. Allen had plenty of room to angle out of bounds and pick up the first down without having to take a hit, IMO. The slide was unnecessary and a poor decision on his part but that is nit-picking. Maybe he picked up the defender late and thought he was closer than he actually was but Josh more than likely would have won that foot race to the sticks. As it turns out, it was a moot point anyway. In fairness to everyone who thought it was a bad spot, I thought it was too when I watched in real time during the game but the evidence shows otherwise.

I think he was more concerned with staying inbounds than anything.  I also think that he thought (which used to be the rule) it is where you hit the ground and therefore felt he was going to land right at yard stick.  

It was a fine play, but really needed that one more step and he should have been fine.

Rather see him get down than take a needless hit, but he had to stay inbounds to run clock.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think he was more concerned with staying inbounds than anything.  I also think that he thought (which used to be the rule) it is where you hit the ground and therefore felt he was going to land right at yard stick.  

It was a fine play, but really needed that one more step and he should have been fine.

Rather see him get down than take a needless hit, but he had to stay inbounds to run clock.

That is true. I lost sight of that. Poor on my part. 

55 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

" Beginning the slide" vs. when a part of his body (usually shin/knee or butt) touches. There can be a difference in time between when it begins and when it "ends" and the ball is to be spotted. Here's a blurb I found:  

image.thumb.png.3fa6755b09284a967c206c60e723fbdb.png

That's not consistent with how they call it in the NFL or college.

5 hours ago, mannc said:

A quarterback sliding is giving himself up

The ball is marked where he starts to slide not finishes it. He started sliding just at the first down marker,  and it seems that the ref just gave him a horrible spot.

He should have gave himself another couple feet before he gave himself up to ensure it. Because qbs sliding feet first are always protected and like I said

They will always mark it where he started the slide not finished it. Even though it looked like a poor spot

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

Wallace had contact with Steeler receiver when he made the pick and knee was down so forward progress put him at the 30.

Just as I suspected was called at the time. Too bad that the broadcast was both silent and clueless. The quality of TV coverage has taken a severe nosedive. Too busy going to commercial, going to The Studio, promoting shows on their network, and yapping about everything but the actual game.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Jeez, he could have trucked that poor DB and probably scored😄

No doubt that there was a lot of green in front of him and you'd have to like Josh's chances. The defender was definitely going to have to 'make a business decision.' :devil:

• Haha (+1) 1

In retrospect, it just gave the Bills another ~39 seconds of time off the clock since they had to run one more play to get the next first down.

Seeing as they only had to use three of their last four downs to run out the clock, it was moot  - and certainly if they had been stopped on the next play it would have been bad.

But I've often wondered if it doesn't make more sense some times to stop *just* short of the marker so you can get another play in and run more time and then get the first and three/four more plays.

Similar to getting tackled at the 12/13 vice the 8/9 yard lines. More room to run plays, and the opportunity for another set of downs if the TD isn't quite achievable.

36 minutes ago, timekills17 said:

In retrospect, it just gave the Bills another ~39 seconds of time off the clock since they had to run one more play to get the next first down.

Seeing as they only had to use three of their last four downs to run out the clock, it was moot  - and certainly if they had been stopped on the next play it would have been bad.

But I've often wondered if it doesn't make more sense some times to stop *just* short of the marker so you can get another play in and run more time and then get the first and three/four more plays.

Similar to getting tackled at the 12/13 vice the 8/9 yard lines. More room to run plays, and the opportunity for another set of downs if the TD isn't quite achievable.

I don’t think so - you always want the first down there because that guaranteed enough plays to run out the clock.  There were 3 goals with the naked bootleg there.  

1st and most importantly- hold onto the ball  - do not fumble - do not drop it - no matter what.  

2nd - stay in bounds and run clock - it was second down and if the Steelers played it right and you could not get the first down - just get down and run clock and no stupid penalties to stop the clock - key.

3rd - if possible get the first down, but do not score - you want to stop short even if you faked out every Steeler player and there was a wide open path.  Getting the first down ices the game there with no chances of something stupid.

Josh did well and accomplished 2 of the 3 and could of had all 3, but getting down in bounds was the most important.  Luckily Moss picked up the first down and finished the Steelers off.  If Moss had been stopped then it was decision time as the Steelers stopped the clock.  The Bills would be put in a bind of FG attempt (push to 14) or go for it and potentially give the ball up deep in Steelers territory.  I personally think McD goes for it and trusts his D, but I am so glad we did not have to think about that.

Sliding a yard short just opened up other possible issues - could be a fumble, tackle for loss, penalty - many things that could make the victory harder, but the Bills handled their business- so I am happy with the outcome.

On 12/14/2020 at 8:29 AM, Stank_Nasty said:

ya see.... i disagree with that. i think he started that slide passed where they marked it. but i havnt seen it slowed down

its also where the ball is at when he starts the slide not the feet, the ball had not yet gone past the first down marker when he started the slide