Wallace interception spot/Camera angles

SoCal Deek

Does anyone know why the ball was placed where it was after the Wallace interception? He was finally tackled at the 50 but when they came back from commercial the ball was back at our 30. Was there a penalty? Did they say he was touched down? And while I’m on it...is anyone else totally annoyed with the Directors of these telecasts? They switch cameras so often it’s impossible to focus on anything. And their relentless pursuit of close up shots of players and coaches faces, while not showing the sideline angle until one second before the snap has me screaming at the TV every week!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Does anyone know why the ball was placed where it was after the Wallace interception? He was finally tackled at the 50 but when they came back from commercial the ball was back at our 30. Was there a penalty? Did they say he was touched down? And while I’m on it...is anyone else totally annoyed with the Directors of these telecasts? They switch cameras so often it’s impossible to focus on anything. And their relentless pursuit of close up shots of players and coaches faces, while not showing the sideline angle until one second before the snap has me screaming at the TV every week!

great question! I wonder if he was deemed

down by contact when he picked it. That would also explain why he was so tentative in running it back.

Speaking of curious spots, what happened near the end of the game when JA ran a beautiful bootleg on 2nd and 10, had a wide open field and slid (to my eye) a yard or two past the first down marker, only to have the ball marked short of the first down?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Every single week I’m yelling at the TV “I don’t care what his face looks like after the play! Let me see the flipping GAME!”

I also didn’t see any explanation of that play but Wallace acted like he was touched so that’s what I’m assuming happened

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

Speaking of curious spots, what happened near the end of the game when JA ran a beautiful bootleg on 2nd and 10, had a wide open field and slid (to my eye) a yard or two past the first down marker, only to have the ball marked short of the first down?

The slide started before the marker - I was screaming at that....had to explain it to the wife.  When a QB slides....the end of the run is where the slide starts not ends.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I thought he slid one or two yards short...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I saw the same thing. No mention of it on broadcast. It was obvious that Josh went past the marker on his run.

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Let's quickly cut to a coaches face which we can't see 50% of as he's wearing a mask. Genius stuff.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Because when you slide the ball is marked by the beginning of the slide point.

Guess the rule is such that once you slide you can't be hit much, you're giving yourself up as they say, so we're not going to give extra yards because you're a good slider.  So was the right call.

Could see the look on Allens eyes, he was surprised/pissed about it too.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

During the return after the interception there was a block in the back by the Bills.....10 yards from the spot of the foul hence the 30 yard line spot.  Sux but the Bills got the ball and the points.

Yeah production does blow chunks!

1 minute ago, DaggersEOD said:

Every single week I’m yelling at the TV “I don’t care what his face looks like after the play! Let me see the flipping GAME!”

I also didn’t see any explanation of that play but Wallace acted like he was touched so that’s what I’m assuming happened

It’s way worse this year with the coach wearing a mask. What do these idiot directors think they’re going to see?!! I guess they’re filling time since there are no fans to focus on. Horrible television.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Andy1 said:

I saw the same thing. No mention of it on broadcast. It was obvious that Josh went past the marker on his run.

He started his slide well before the first down marker.   That is when he will be marked down.   It doesn't matter how far he slides.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

During the return after the interception there was a block in the back by the Bills.....10 yards from the spot of the foul hence the 30 yard line spot.  Sux but the Bills got the ball and the points.

Yeah production does blow chunks!

Play by play doesn't list a penalty, just down at the 29 yard line.

1 minute ago, SMAKCruiser said:

He started his slide well before the first down marker.   That is when he will be marked down.   It doesn't matter how far he slides.

ya see.... i disagree with that. i think he started that slide passed where they marked it. but i havnt seen it slowed down

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Let's quickly cut to a coaches face which we can't see 50% of as he's wearing a mask. Genius stuff.

Or staring at the QBs face while he’s under center without EVER showing the audience what he’s looking at on defense or where the ball is on the field. Ugh!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

The slide started before the marker - I was screaming at that....had to explain it to the wife.  When a QB slides....the end of the run is where the slide starts not ends.

Yes Josh mistimed that slide. No harm though.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I was yelling at Josh for starting his slide too early.  Thankfully Moss picked-up the 1st down and made it moot.

• Like (+1) 1

The ball was placed where he caught the ball.  Wallace had contact with the Pitt guy when he intercepted and then went down, so he was down by contact.

Josh was down when he starts to slide, so he kind of mistimed it - unless you want to say it was going to be easy for them to pick up the first and the clock would just be continuing to roll the whole time.

6 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Hold that thought....we need to show you a 12 second shot of TJ Watt with his hands on his hips, with no commentary.

That one too! I think that was when we had a player down on the field but no ...we HAD TO watch Watt on the sideline doing absolutely nothing! 

4 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The ball was placed where he caught the ball.  Wallace had contact with the Pitt guy when he intercepted and then went down, so he was down by contact.

Josh was down when he starts to slide, so he kind of mistimed it - unless you want to say it was going to be easy for them to pick up the first and the clock would just be continuing to roll the whole time.

Exactly - the only thing with the Josh slide was I think Ref marked from several yards behind and had a terrible angle (as was the camera angle).  I think Josh was looking for the marking and slide right there - the guy came from behind and marked him short.

I think it was a bad spot, but difficult for the Refs in that situation.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Exactly - the only thing with the Josh slide was I think Ref marked from several yards behind and had a terrible angle (as was the camera angle).  I think Josh was looking for the marking and slide right there - the guy came from behind and marked him short.

I think it was a bad spot, but difficult for the Refs in that situation.

Looked to us on tv that he was past the first down marker and my electrician friend was on the sideline right there and said he was clearly past when he started his slide. 

37 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I thought Collinsworth said he was ruled down by contact

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Looked to us on tv that he was past the first down marker and my electrician friend was on the sideline right there and said he was clearly past when he started his slide. 

I've just looked at the replay of the play on GamePass. Allen needed to get to the 18 but started his slide slightly over a yard short. I'd say the officials got it right.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not to take this thread all over the place but while we’re talking about camera angles could coach Coach have challenged the Big Ben fumble or had the officials blown it dead? We eventually scored on the drive, but the scoop and score would’ve been nice! 

I think someone asked McD about that in the postgame and he said something about the way it was ruled, it was not challengeable.

Not 100% sure that was what they were talking about though

1 minute ago, BritBill said:

I've just looked at the replay of the play on GamePass. Allen needed to get to the 18 but started his slide slightly over a yard short. I'd say the officials got it right.

Beautiful slide, now Allen needs to refine where he starts it.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think someone asked McD about that in the postgame and he said something about the way it was ruled, it was not challengeable.

Not 100% sure that was what they were talking about though

Iirc they ruled forward progress was stopped and play was dead. I don’t think you can challenge that

Yes, that's the terminology McD used in his presser, said it was ruled forward progress and can't be challenged

30 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Hold that thought....we need to show you a 12 second shot of TJ Watt with his hands on his hips, with no commentary.

I appreciate the point you're making, but I always like seeing our opponents tired, demoralized, and broken.

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Just watched the replay highlight and he definitely began the slide just past the 20. 

I think the Ref nailed it.

He looked to be a yard short as he left his feet to begin the slide.

15 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not to take this thread all over the place but while we’re talking about camera angles could coach Coach have challenged the Big Ben fumble or had the officials blown it dead? We eventually scored on the drive, but the scoop and score would’ve been nice! 

I think the play was blown dead - so can’t challenge.

I am glad they did not challenge the Josh incompletion/fumble because I think the ball might have been loose.

52 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

That’s not how I saw it.  To me, he was clearly past the mark when he slid.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Because when you slide the ball is marked by the beginning of the slide point.

Guess the rule is such that once you slide you can't be hit much, you're giving yourself up as they say, so we're not going to give extra yards because you're a good slider.  So was the right call.

Could see the look on Allens eyes, he was surprised/pissed about it too.

I'm sure he realized he slid a little early. At least he's sliding more and not taking those hits.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

He began his slide before the first down marker. When you begin your slide it is immediately dead. Give it another watch.

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

That’s not how I saw it.  To me, he was clearly past the mark when he slid.

They clearly got it right.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I don't know, IMO he had this shocked look like what do you mean it's not a first down.  Agree about the sliding part.

Allen was wrong, then. He started his slide about a yard short.

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We're just never happy with that boy.  First we yell at him to slide, then when he does we want him to delay his slide.  (He mistimed it I think)

As great as he's looked, I want more!