Week 14 Bills vs Steelers SNF PreGame Thread

Chandler#81

AFC Titanic Tilt! Both teams are Division leaders with 3 games remaining. Both teams are being challenged closely in their Divisions. Both teams have Super Bowl aspirations. Both teams can clinch a Playoff spot with a win and some help. Both teams Biggest game to date. A National viewing audience at an empty Bills Stadium field. The Steelers look to return to playoffs, the Bills look to continue and further their current playoff run. Ben Rothlesberger has won 2 Super Bowls. Young Josh Allen has won 3 AFCOPOW awards this season seeking his 1st trip to the Big Game. Bills are as healthy as they’ve been all year while Pittsburgh continues to see their roster shuffled by injury & illness. Throw this all out. As Keith Jackson was fond of saying, “Oh Nellie! There’s gonna be some head crackin’ goin’ on tonight!”

D034582D-78D7-439E-AEA1-D9906AAF47E4.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4

I'm not buying into the Eelers are more motivated this week. Here is what I subjectively evaluate.  They’re banged up on defense.  They’re also tired. I do expect their receivers to catch what is thrown at them. Bills are playing better in all aspects of the game and Bills are facing another tough team.  As Barry Switzer once said before the annual Oklahoma-Nebraska football game for supremacy of the Big 8,  “we’re going to have to out-athlete them.”  Bills win on talent and rest.  

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Just cracked open my 1st beer, 14 and hlf more hrs to go! Whooooody whooooo!

Dang, and I thought I started early.......well done.

49 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

They have meetings for that buddy.

Yeah, they're called "bars."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Still 2-point favorites, which is typically the bump for playing at home. This is a real coin flip game, not last week. Also it’s mid-dec and we’re playing meaningful football. Take a moment to enjoy that! 

I’m not a gambler, but I though home field advantage was 3 points. Is it lower in 2020 because of no fans?

• Like (+1) 2

https://sports.yahoo.com/week-14-s-top-game-steelers-bills-230137174.html

top page title 

The Bills could join the elite with a win against the Steelers 

This was going to be a big game regardless of what happened last week, but Pittsburgh dropping a stunner to Washington suddenly puts more of a focus on how it has stacked up its record and whether the Steelers can truly go toe-to-toe with the other heavy hitters in the AFC.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Go Bills!!!

Take care of business fellas!

Wiz, you beat me to one of my favorite at times youtube link.

I don’t know if this helps, but just did a quick scan of the various rankings.  Now please consider opponents, and how we only have a backup safety out and Brown.  The Steelers have their MLB Spillane, and Hayden out.  Last week when Hayden went out, the Alex Smith specifically targeted that area and was torching the backup CB.

This took a few minutes so look for what is you’re interest.

Bills - Steelers

Offense

Receiving Yards 

Yards.     Rank

Bills.         3457      5th

Steelers   3114.     15th

Rushing. 
                  Yards     Rank

Bills.          1229.    23rd

Steelers.   1111     29th

Overall Offense

Yards/Game.    Rank
Bills.           378.8.                 10th

Steelers     344.8.                 21st

Pts./Game

27.8 pts. - tied for 7th Bills and Steelers

Defense

Yards.                Rank

Bills             375.5.                21st

Steelers.     300.5.                3rd

Note:  The 49ers are 6th and look how that turned out.

Pts./Game.       Rank

Bills.           25.5.                  18th

Steelers.    17.6.                  1st

Passing Yards Allowed

Yards/Game.      Rank

Bills.          249.5.                  20th

Steelers.   199.8.                  2nd

Rushing Yards Allowed

Yards/Game.      Rank

Bills.           126.                    24th

Steelers.    100.7.                 6th

Games Against Winning Teams

Bills              4/3

Steelers.      4/0

Remaining Winning Games Full Season

Bills have 2 more so 9 of 17 of our schedule was facing winning teams.

Steelers 3 more including today and this leads to my last two points.  All can infer what they want from this data.  It can be interpreted many ways.

Strength of Schedule

Prior to beginning of the Season

Bills 5th

Steelers 31st

As of this Week

Bills 20th

Steelers 28th

You already know the Injury Report and IR for both teams.  Personally, I think we match up well with the Steelers.  This game could go either way, but as healthy as we are, and a couple of key injuries on their part tilts in the Bills favor.  The counter is they get back Conner and Pouncey.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

I’m doing the same exact everything I did last Monday. If we win and have another decent 3rd qtr then you guys owe me.

I just looked at last weeks thread.  You didn’t write this post last week.  If we lose, it’s your fault

• Haha (+1) 6

42 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I’m not a gambler, but I though home field advantage was 3 points. Is it lower in 2020 because of no fans?

Exactly. The line has been something like 0.5-1 point for the home team this year because of everything going on. 

Man I am so nervous about this game. Sports announcers talking ***** to Camron Hayward about the Bills. I truly think if we can beat the Steelers on prime time with the Steelers giving us their best effort I think we can make it to the AFC title game. We’ll see. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

You already know the Injury Report and IR for both teams.  Personally, I think we match up well with the Steelers.  This game could go either way, but as healthy as we are, and a couple of key injuries on their part tilts in the Bills favor.  The counter is they get back Conner and Pouncey.

So I think this is where the national narrative is a pain. Someone could read your statement and think that the only reason why the Bills have a shot is because the Steelers have injuries. That may or may not be exactly what you’re saying. I only say this because an earlier thread this week talked about this being the biggest win of the season and how the Bills need a signature win, but if the Bills win because the Steelers have so many guys out, then the discussion is still “yeah the Bills have all these wins, but...” almost kind of how people are now looking at all of the Steelers wins.

pwrsonally I think the Bills have a great shot of winning and still would have a great shot of winning even if all of those guys weren’t injured. And no, I don’t care about the national narrative, but it does get a little old after a while

31 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So I think this is where the national narrative is a pain. Someone could read your statement and think that the only reason why the Bills have a shot is because the Steelers have injuries. That may or may not be exactly what you’re saying. I only say this because an earlier thread this week talked about this being the biggest win of the season and how the Bills need a signature win, but if the Bills win because the Steelers have so many guys out, then the discussion is still “yeah the Bills have all these wins, but...” almost kind of how people are now looking at all of the Steelers wins.

pwrsonally I think the Bills have a great shot of winning and still would have a great shot of winning even if all of those guys weren’t injured. And no, I don’t care about the national narrative, but it does get a little old after a while

Plus, it’s not like the Bills aren’t without one of the top #2 WR’s in the game or anything....

Edited by SCBills

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Plus, it’s not like the Bills aren’t without one of the top #2 WR’s in the game or anything....

In the Bills 3 losses, and especially vs Tennessee, they were down significant players. They were missing their top 2 corners, Milano and John brown vs titans and brown and white played hurt vs chiefs along with missing Milano. Edmunds played hurt for the first like 6 games. Vs the cards they were so depleted in the secondary they had Daryl worley out there in the 2nd half. I’m not using it as an excuse, I’m just saying that apparently other teams do that but you don’t often hear about the bills missing significant players too. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen will get hit and sacked today.. Steelers front 4 is too good. He must hold onto the ball today Bills! Bills O-line needs to pass block and run block well today. I suspect they will blitz 5 often. Knox and Beasley over the middle should be wide open if the blitz Fitzpatrick or use him to double Diggs. 

Ben had been known to have a multi turnover game from time to time. 

If I'm McD I dress Knox, Smith, and Kroft. Gilliam is worthless. They need the pass catching of Knox and Kroft and the blocking of Smith today.

Go Bills.

Leslie it's time to let White play Juju all over the field. Box and 1 defense. Play zone and let White follow Juju everywhere. 

Could Tyler Matekavich be a hidden factor for us?

He spent 4 seasons in Pittsburgh

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-tyler-matakevich-can-t-wait-to-play-his-former-team

""I'm definitely excited for this game, it definitely might have been circled on the schedule since like March once I signed here," Matakevich said with a smile. "But I'm just excited to go I mean, I've been there like you said for four years, I know those guys and I know their tendencies and I got a good idea of what they like to do over there. So, I'm just really eager to get out there this weekend."

Since he was a backup and ST'er he likely played D on the scout team every week and might have some insights into offensive tendencies and ST as well.

• Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Could Tyler Matekavich be a hidden factor for us?

He spent 4 seasons in Pittsburgh

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-tyler-matakevich-can-t-wait-to-play-his-former-team

""I'm definitely excited for this game, it definitely might have been circled on the schedule since like March once I signed here," Matakevich said with a smile. "But I'm just excited to go I mean, I've been there like you said for four years, I know those guys and I know their tendencies and I got a good idea of what they like to do over there. So, I'm just really eager to get out there this weekend."

Since he was a backup and ST'er he likely played D on the scout team every week and might have some insights into offensive tendencies and ST as well.

Are you telling me this game may come down to... Avery Williamson vs Tyler Matakevich?

Marquee matchup! 😉

• Like (+1) 1