Diggs' trade is aging like a fine wine

3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

As it stands right now, Stephon Diggs leads the NFL in receptions at 65, and receiving yardage at 813.  Hopkins is second in both categories.

I was stoked when the trade went down but I honestly didn't expect this level of production.  I remember reading stories with all the Viking fans dumping on Diggs for going to Buffalo where he would  have Allen throwing to him instead of Cousins and declaring an end to Diggs' career in Buffalo.

The ripple effect of putting Diggs on the field on this offense can't be overstated.  Beasley is having a career year too and John Brown doesn't have elite stats right now because of his missed games, but is clearly loving having the opposing CB2 and no double teams on him this year.  He had 8 catches for 99 yards today.

What a move by Beane to pry him out of Minnesota.  Diggs was clearly worth every draft pick he gave up and then some.  I think Beane's trade for Diggs is second only to his stockpiling of assets to move up and draft Allen.  The Pegulas need to write a check and lock Beane up for another 5 years. 

No 2 ways about it Beane FLAT OUT STOLE Diggs from Minnesota.  What an awesomeness deal!  Today's game was an eye opener!  Statement win against a quality opponent.

Edited by Kwai San
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

No 2 ways about it Beane FLAT OUT STOLE Diggs from Minnesota.  What an awesomeness deal!  Today's game was an eye opener!  Statement win against a quality opponent.

Wouldn’t say he stole him. He gave up quite a bit for him and I’m sure the Vikings are thrilled with Jefferson and his future.

Both teams should be happy with how this deal turned out.

• Like (+1) 7

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Diggs raises the level of play by the receivers. It seems like when he his catching balls, the other guys are too. 

Honestly, I think he rasies the level of play of everyone, not just the receivers. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

As it stands right now, Stephon Diggs leads the NFL in receptions at 65, and receiving yardage at 813.  Hopkins is second in both categories.  Diggs had a monster game today with 9 catches for 118 yards.

I was stoked when the trade went down but I honestly didn't expect this level of production.  I remember reading stories with all the Viking fans dumping on Diggs for going to Buffalo where he would  have Allen throwing to him instead of Cousins and declaring an end to Diggs' career in Buffalo.

The ripple effect of putting Diggs on the field on this offense can't be overstated.  Beasley is having a career year too and John Brown doesn't have elite stats right now because of his missed games, but is clearly loving having the opposing CB2 and no double teams on him this year.  He had 8 catches for 99 yards today.

What a move by Beane to pry him out of Minnesota.  Diggs was clearly worth every draft pick he gave up and then some.  I think Beane's trade for Diggs is second only to his stockpiling of assets to move up and draft Allen.  The Pegulas need to write a check and lock Beane up for another 5 years.

I knew he was capable, but I never thought he'd have this production because I didn't see Josh taking such a massive leap as a QB.

• Like (+1) 3

I agree that the Diggs trade is second only to the maneuvering to draft Allen. Beane correctly identified Diggs as THE weapon to help Josh with the next step in his trajectory. I absolutely love it.  

Diggs to the receivers is like Mongo to the offensive line. Fantastic players in their own right who truly elevate their units. Fierce competitors that are also great on the field leaders. I want both of them to be with the Bills for a very long time. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think Allen to Diggs will be a lot like Aikman to Irvin, Kelly to Reed, Montana to Rice, Manning to Harrison etc

Wouldn’t surprise me to see these two post prolific stats.. Diggs is always open, even when he’s not.. Allen can rifle that darn thing in there and Diggs just about always finds a way to come away with it..

Diggs is always open..

• Like (+1) 3

Great post and could not agree more. I love the attitude that Diggs brings to the team. He's always talking smack to opposing CBs. Haha.

I'm sure that fiery attitude trickels to the rest of the players. You need players like that is you're going to go on a run. I think the defense needs a player or two with that "dawg" mentality but I digress. 

Great win! 

Edited by HomeTeam
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Just so I’m clear, I get confused easily, we aren’t firing Brandon Beane this week?

It’s still early, give people time-people have a lot of directions to go this week with it too. First, why didn’t Beane plan to have both of his starting guards go down in the same game?? And speaking of those guards, not only did Ford get injured, he didn’t make one single catch today! Meanwhile Metcalf has over 100 yards and a garbage time touchdown!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

One of the critiques that I always heard from Vikes fans is that Diggs would disappear from a game and have no impact.  Having watched him for 9 games in a Bills uniform I'm just going to assume that was a Kirk Cousins problem.  Any QB not looking his way 10 times a game is a fool.

great take and very cool chat moniker too I like it a lot 🙂

the only reasion Id have any critique at all whatsoever in regards to picking up Diggs is it meant we weren't able to draft Chase Claypool who I wanted the Bills to take badly before the deal went down. In retrospect I have zero regrets the guy is Golden in Buffalo and I was also right about Claypool being a stud so I like that I was right about my inkling about that guy too

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Lol no.. it was a fair trade. We gave up a lot but it was obviously worth it. 

Really good trade for both teams.

He's incredible. My favorite player right now. I commented on it earlier but he's so clearly in control when he catches the ball. Defenders kind of just back off him differently than they do other receivers, like they know he's going to catch it so they then turn to just trying to limit YAC. Truly one of the best in the league. He's been putting up advanced stats to prove that for years but it's nice to see the gaudy numbers come.

• Like (+1) 3

And if you search Stefon Diggs on Twitter right now, the top results are a pair of Dave Chappelle influenced Rick James cleats that he apparently wore today, and an incredible handshake with Josh Allen. How can you not love him. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

It's why the Bills need to get more speed on offense.

TE and RB are the only places where I can see them adding more speed. At WR Diggs, Brown and Mac are all fast players. Davis adds size and Beasley is a great slot player and Roberts is there for the return game. TE is a position where it is hard to get speed.

A good break away speed RB is probably the only place they can add some speed but I do like what this team has at RB so I don't see the really demanding need there. It would be a nice add for 2021

30 minutes ago, Nelius said:

He's incredible. My favorite player right now. I commented on it earlier but he's so clearly in control when he catches the ball. Defenders kind of just back off him differently than they do other receivers, like they know he's going to catch it so they then turn to just trying to limit YAC. Truly one of the best in the league. He's been putting up advanced stats to prove that for years but it's nice to see the gaudy numbers come.

He’s completely uncoverable, especially when Brown is on the field with him. Anyone still salty about giving up that draft pick needs to pick another gripe. Diggs WAS top-5 in minny. He may be top-2 now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

Lol no.. it was a fair trade. We gave up a lot but it was obviously worth it. 

Really good trade for both teams.

Trades can be mutually beneficial. Jefferson has been a good WR for the Vikings and is cost controlled for the next 3 to 4 seasons. The Bills got a stud WR who is in his prime and will help maximize the rookie QB contact Josh is on. 

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs in on pace to break the Bills single season receiving yards record set by Eric Moulds in 1998 with 1,368 yards AND the Bills' single season reception record also set by Eric Moulds in 2002 with 100 receptions. 

Through nine games Diggs is sitting at 65 receptions for 813 yards.  

Not too bad to blow into town and challenge all time franchise records in your first year.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Diggs in on pace to break the Bills single season receiving yards record set by Eric Moulds in 1998 with 1,368 yards AND the Bills' single season reception record also set by Eric Moulds in 2002 with 100 receptions. 

Through nine games Diggs is sitting at 65 receptions for 813 yards.  

Not too bad to blow into town and challenge all time franchise records in your first year.

He runs such great routes and has fantastic size and quickness.. Even if there isn’t huge separation there is still enough separation for Allen to get the ball there... Stefon Diggs reminds me a lot of Marvin Harrison in terms of ability and as a player comparison.. Insane route running skills.. Very fast twitch.

9 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Trades can be mutually beneficial. Jefferson has been a good WR for the Vikings and is cost controlled for the next 3 to 4 seasons. The Bills got a stud WR who is in his prime and will help maximize the rookie QB contact Josh is on. 

It was a good trade for the Bills........you should get a stud for that much capital and for taking on a 8 figure contract when the draft is deep in players at that position.

It was greater for the Vikings because they replaced an expensive, disgruntled stud WR with a cheap one and still have more picks to spend.

I think the Vikings got a little too deep into Beane's pocket and that probably cost him a move at the trade deadline this year but they absolutely needed a stud WR because they had wiffed on Zay Jones and passed on Metcalf and Allen desperately needed more help. 

Now they need to keep the targets coming next offseason the same way the Steelers have kept a steady pipeline of WR coming for Big Ben.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Codyny13 said:

Fantastic trade, especially with the contract he’s on. Very affordable. Also great to see what Gabe Davis can do. He’s an NFL receiver, much better than Zay. Hit on both.

Agreed, those downgrading the trade because it was such a great WR draft seem to forget that the Bills did indeed successfully participate in the 2020 WR rookie draft. 

• Like (+1) 2