Milano out for Seahawks game

YoloinOhio

57 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

yes I only saw him in guaranteed passing coverage situations. I suspect he’s a one armed man trying to defend the run.....

so one armed Milano or AJKlien 🧐 

Im Invincible Monty Python GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Matt Milano could come out in a full body cast and people would still say “he’s only missed half a game in his career”

Please stop.  No one is arguing that Milano has not missed games, has been injured, or has been playing hurt this fall.  Going from your statement that he's "always injured" to this looks like you're crusading.

18 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Yolo, me thinks this is not a strain but at least a partial tear

A strain is either a stretched or partially torn muscle

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

When Milano gets anywhere near 50% active for his career let us know.

Games missed is only part of the picture. I think you have to take into account total snap count compared to the defense. I wouldn't put him in the healthy range at the moment. Career wise he is averaging about 63% of defensive snaps which should be a concern. I think his high water mark of 91% of snaps in 2019 is right about where McD would like to see him regularly. 63% isn't great if the goal is 91%

Defensive Leader (Preston Brown)- Total Snaps- 1098

Milano- Total Snaps- 450 (41%)

Team Leader (Jordan Poyer)- Total Snaps- 1009

Milano- Total Snaps- 741 (73%)

Team Leader (Tremaine Edmunds)- Total Snaps- 981

Milano- Total Snaps- 894 (91%)

Team Leader- Total Snaps (Jordan Poyer)- 533

Milano- Total Snaps- 179 (33.5%)

Total Snaps- Team Leader- 3621

Total Snaps- Milano- 2264 (62.5)

Edited by Mango

Let him sit through the bye if he isnt clearly healthy. It sucks for the next two games since they are against good team but if we win the last 3 vs broncos phins and pats we are all but guaranteed the division

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please stop.  No one is arguing that Milano has not missed games, has been injured, or has been playing hurt this fall.  Going from your statement that he's "always injured" to this looks like you're crusading.

A strain is either a stretched or partially torn muscle

No. The people who are “crusading” are the ones claiming that he’s not always injured like they’re his agent or something. I love Milano and I think he’s in the top 2 or 3 best defenders we have. But you can’t sit there and tell me that he doesn’t spend more time on the injury report than anybody else on the team 

27 minutes ago, Mango said:

Games missed is only part of the picture. I think you have to take into account total snap count compared to the defense. I wouldn't put him in the healthy range at the moment. Career wise he is well under 50% of defensive snaps which should be a concern. I think his high water mark of 91% of snaps in 2019 is right about where McD would like to see him regularly. He is averaging almost right at 50% of that. Not great. 

Milano- Total Snaps- 142 (14%)

Total Snaps- Milano- 1665 (46%)

Mango, I believe some of your data are incorrect and/or it is not clear whether you are counting total snaps or only defensive snaps.

For example, for 2018, Milano played between a low of 71% and 100% of the defensive snaps.  He had 3 games where he played 100% and 3 games where he played 98% or greater.  Therefore, he can not possibly have played only 142 defensive snaps.  I think you made a mistake and used his ST snaps instead of his defensive snaps, but your other numbers do not include his ST snaps.  Your Total Snaps point will be off in consequence.

They also don't match the numbers from pro-football reference though the other numbers aren't off that much.

I'm kind of not sure what point you're trying to make by including the first half of 2017 when the guy was basically a ST'er.  He started to gain snaps through Nov and was named starter in Dec. in 2017.  They don't bear on the question of whether he was healthy or not - it simply wasn't his role to be a starter on defense for half the season.

7 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

No. The people who are “crusading” are the ones claiming that he’s not always injured like they’re his agent or something. I love Milano and I think he’s in the top 2 or 3 best defenders we have. But you can’t sit there and tell me that he doesn’t spend more time on the injury report than anybody else on the team 

I can, actually, because it isn't true.   If you think it is, Prove It.

He's not, in fact, always injured.  He played 100% of the defensive snaps in 13 games last year, 74% of another, and was pulled out of the final game as were many of the starters after only a few snaps.  That's simply not an "always injured" pattern. 

If you want to make either claim, back it up. 

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Kwai, I though I read a couple of years ago that, yes, of course you don't want a number of concussions, but that it is not the number of concussions as much as it is not getting rushed back.

Side note, this was interesting pertaining hits to the head and not concussions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/01/18/a-new-study-shows-that-hits-to-the-head-not-concussions-cause-cte/

"Well, duh, but still they are always going to be hitting their heads."

Yeah, the thing is I still think they can change this in the game on how they approach blocking...face and shoulders first.

Interesting....maybe I have hockey blended into my thought process.  Either way....the more you have the worse it will be in the long run - on that I think we can agree.  Since the nfl cares so little about the safety of it's "product" I see change, or whatever it is they choose to call it as a very slow moving train.  I sure hope that for Mitch's sake he errs on the side of caution versus ego.

This is just infuriating that it would happen days after the trade deadline. I would hope that if McBeane & Co knew we had 2 busted LBs, one on IR, and one who forgot to be an LB, they would have made moves besides raiding the FA fridge for left overs. If we can salvage a playoff appearance without an LB corps, Frazier deserves an award and McDermott needs coach of the year

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, benderbender said:

This is just infuriating that it would happen days after the trade deadline. I would hope that if McBeane & Co knew we had 2 busted LBs, one on IR, and one who forgot to be an LB, they would have made moves besides raiding the FA fridge for left overs. If we can salvage a playoff appearance without an LB corps, Frazier deserves an award and McDermott needs coach of the year

Bender, they had to have known this.  Milano was out 2 games and has clearly been playing hampered (literally but a strap holding down his arm) and on a pitch count.

2 of the guys (not one) that they were counting on to contribute this year have been on IR, one for 3 weeks.

Edmunds is playing injured as well as, as you put it, apparently having forgotten how to play LB.

It's mind boggling to me that signing Darron Lee was their best answer.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's not, in fact, always injured.  He played 100% of the defensive snaps in 13 games last year, 74% of another, and was pulled out of the final game as were many of the starters after only a few snaps.  That's simply not an "always injured" pattern. 

This is from an article from Buffalo Rumblings that came out a month ago. No stats but surely it’s a concern. And how much time has he missed in the last month? This will be my last post about Matt Milanos injury history because this is just weird to me....

Despite his fifth-round draft status, he has far outplayed his draft slot and has made head coach Sean McDermott look like a genius. However, one hiccup in this plan to keep him in Buffalo has been his injury history. Going back to 2017, he has dealt with hamstring strains, a broken fibula, a concussion, more hamstrings, and the latest—a left pectoral strain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2020/10/9/21507157/buffalo-bills-injury-analysis-matt-milanos-pectoral-injury

Edited by Brennan Huff

5 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

This is from an article from Buffalo Rumblings that came out a month ago. No stats but surely it’s a concern. And how much time has he missed in the last month? This will be my last post about Matt Milanos injury history because this is just weird to me....

Despite his fifth-round draft status, he has far outplayed his draft slot and has made head coach Sean McDermott look like a genius. However, one hiccup in this plan to keep him in Buffalo has been his injury history. Going back to 2017, he has dealt with hamstring strains, a broken fibula, a concussion, more hamstrings, and the latest—a left pectoral strain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2020/10/9/21507157/buffalo-bills-injury-analysis-matt-milanos-pectoral-injury

Yes, he has been injured.  More than the "average" starting LB?  I don't know...football is a rough game, guys get hurt.

No one (reasonable) would dispute with you that Milano has been injured, and I'm sure more than McDermott and Beane would like to see.

But there's a big gap between "injured" and "always injured".

4 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

Search for someone else's post about picking fruit from the all-pro linebacker tree.  

This the one you have in mind?

The point of that post appears to be that maybe we shouldn't be talking about cutting Micah Hyde to save some cap $$ while we apparently already have big holes to fill at pass rusher and LB.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, he has been injured.  More than the "average" starting LB?  I don't know...football is a rough game, guys get hurt.

No one (reasonable) would dispute with you that Milano has been injured, and I'm sure more than McDermott and Beane would like to see.

But there's a big gap between "injured" and "always injured".

That is a start. I’m proud of you. You guys take things too literal. Obviously if he was “always hurt” then he would have been on the IR for his entire career and never played a snap in the NFL

Edited by Brennan Huff

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mango, I believe some of your data are incorrect and/or it is not clear whether you are counting total snaps or only defensive snaps.

For example, for 2018, Milano played between a low of 71% and 100% of the defensive snaps.  He had 3 games where he played 100% and 3 games where he played 98% or greater.  Therefore, he can not possibly have played only 142 defensive snaps.  I think you made a mistake and used his ST snaps instead of his defensive snaps, but your other numbers do not include his ST snaps.  Your Total Snaps point will be off in consequence.

They also don't match the numbers from pro-football reference though the other numbers aren't off that much.

I'm kind of not sure what point you're trying to make by including the first half of 2017 when the guy was basically a ST'er.  He started to gain snaps through Nov and was named starter in Dec. in 2017.  They don't bear on the question of whether he was healthy or not - it simply wasn't his role to be a starter on defense for half the season.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was just using my scribble pad for work and grabbed the wrong number quickly. Don't tell my boss about how I spend company time!

I did use PFR, but used percentage compared to his peers not total percentage, since a player will rarely hit 100% of defensive snaps. Although Preston Brown and Jordan Poyer have come pretty close at times. I thought it was more fair. 

Even if you just remove 2017 entirely, Milano has only been on the field about 72% of the time compared to his peers. If 91% is the goal as 2019 would indicate, he has missed a sizable chunk.. A story that missed games doesn't really tell. 

Games missed is only part of the picture. I think you have to take into account total snap count compared to the defense. I wouldn't put him in the healthy range at the moment. Career wise he is averaging about 63% of defensive snaps which should be a concern. I think his high water mark of 91% of snaps in 2019 is right about where McD would like to see him regularly. 63% isn't great if the goal is 91%

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:That would be accurate if Miami doesn’t catch up to us.  If Miami gets close to the same record, common opponents can be as important as conference games.

No need to worry about that this weekend. Phins already lost to Seatle. If they lose to the Cardinals on Sunday then we don’t have a deficit with common opponents. Plus, best they can do is tie the head to head and divisional W/L. It’s likely that Miami loses another AFCE game starting Tua as McD, Williams, and BB are all good at confusing rookie QBs. 

11 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I would not offer any big money to this guy,  too small and too many injuries.

I think he is going to get a one year deal, cap is too small and Milano hasn't proven he can be healthy. I see him staying on a one year prove it deal at about 5 million

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Would you want to though?

Actually yeah, I would IF we could get him 3-5 years on an incredibly team friendly deal.  Pass coverage LBs that don't mind getting physical are not easy to find, and our defensive scheme depends on having at least 2 that can cover well.  His injuries seem more like separate bad luck incidents than chronic, it's not like has bad knees or concussion concerns.  When healthy, he is probably the most valuable defensive player we have outside of White.  He's also a no drama guy, no character/attitude questions. I'd take the chance

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m ok with putting him out there on some passing downs and making him active but he’s been here like 3 days, not sure he will know the scheme well enough to line up correctly 

some of or LB’s act like they don’t know the scheme anyway.  He’d fit right in!  

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

really we should have gotten a LB anyway.  Edmunds is in a funk, and Milano had a pec issue, which as I understand takes a long time to heal.  Our backups are Ps level for most teams.  

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Where are you getting a goal of 91% of snaps?   If you want to use % of total snaps as the barometer including his rookie year where he was earning more playing time then I'll need to see similar stats for all outside linebackers excluding EDGE.

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

That is a start. I’m proud of you. You guys take things too literal. Obviously if he was “always hurt” then he would have been on the IR for his entire career and never played a snap in the NFL

🙄

Impute to others views they've never held. 

Take an extreme position yourself. 

When called on it, behave as though you're persuading people to the position they actually held instead of the position they actually held

and

Complain that they're somehow misinterpreting or overinterpreting your extreme position

Now where have I seen this argument strategy before 🤔

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

🙄

Impute to others views they've never held. 

Take an extreme position yourself. 

When called on it, behave as though you're persuading people to the position they actually held instead of the position they actually held

and

Complain that they're somehow misinterpreting or overinterpreting your extreme position

Now where have I seen this argument strategy before 🤔

Dude, wow. Ok you’re right. Matt Milano is the healthiest person on the team. Also, this seems political related, but that’s ok because of who you are. I’m done responding to you. Have a great day and go Bills

14 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Dude, wow. Ok you’re right. Matt Milano is the healthiest person on the team. Also, this seems political related, but that’s ok because of who you are. I’m done responding to you. Have a great day and go Bills

It is political, which is uncool, especially from the mod warning us about it on the top of the Wall.  But so is hyperbole.  It makes for shite discussion, because reasonable people see it and react in kind.  

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This the one you have in mind?

The point of that post appears to be that maybe we shouldn't be talking about cutting Micah Hyde to save some cap $$ while we apparently already have big holes to fill at pass rusher and LB.

Well, that and the fact that pas rushers and LBs don't grow on trees.  

2 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Well, that and the fact that pass rushers and LBs don't grow on trees.  

Exactly.

15 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

It is political, which is uncool, especially from the mod warning us about it on the top of the Wall.  But so is hyperbole.  It makes for shite discussion, because reasonable people see it and react in kind.  

I find it interesting that you both interpret this as "political", because how I came up with that was looking back at someone's posts about football, and outlining what they did.  And we as mods see this over. and over. and over. again from people who cause confliction and derail discussion here - football discussion.  In the football forums.

Perhaps this is a case of when one's only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail?

• Like (+1) 1