Josh Allen's Hard Count

Peace Frog

Finally, one of our own O-linemen (kudos to D. Williams) recognized and reacted to a defender jumping offside due to Josh's hard count by moving out of his stance and creating the encroachment penalty in today's game.  I realize it's only a 5 yard penalty but they certainly help, especially on a 3rd long situation.  I couldn't tell you how many times this season I've seen defenders cross the neutral zone before the snap and our O-linemen stay in their stance.  I applaud their discipline but 5 yards is 5 yards; why wouldn't you try to get that every time?

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I actually like them running the play right at the end of the third quarter more so than the hard count.  Bills have been showing that hard count attempt to get them to jump Offside all year and then they decided to snap it.  First it was a good call for today but it will make the hard count a bit more effective down the stretch.  Good move by Daboll/Allen

• Like (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I actually like them running the play right at the end of the third quarter more so than the hard count.  Bills have been showing that hard count attempt to get them to jump Offside all year and then they decided to snap it.  First it was a good call for today but it will make the hard count a bit more effective down the stretch.  Good move by Daboll/Allen

I think part of it is to prevent defenders from timing the snap and getting up field for easy pressure. They have to wait and be diligent and react rather than time the snap.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agreed. I HATE the hard count BS at the end of quarters where they so obviously never intended to snap it. 

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The hard count was EJ Manuel's special trick, remember?  Only it never worked.

Josh truly does have an effective hard count that seems to throw defenses off consistently.

I specifically remember KC's defenders jumping offside at least 3 times because of Josh's hard count (let's just call it JHC, for short) that could've resulted in 15 easy yards had our own offense reacted to it.  I'm glad we generally don't jump when Josh is barking but when they see a defender in the neutral zone, they should move as well and draw the easy 5 yarder.  It could turn a 3rd & 7 into a more manageable 3rd & 2. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Finally, one of our own O-linemen (kudos to D. Williams) recognized and reacted to a defender jumping offside due to Josh's hard count by moving out of his stance and creating the encroachment penalty in today's game.  I realize it's only a 5 yard penalty but they certainly help, especially on a 3rd long situation.  I couldn't tell you how many times this season I've seen defenders cross the neutral zone before the snap and our O-linemen stay in their stance.  I applaud their discipline but 5 yards is 5 yards; why wouldn't you try to get that every time?

I thought it was more like John Brown 10 yards downfield....

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Josh truly does have an effective hard count that seems to throw defenses off consistently.

That was so embarrassing for EJ. Rex would trot him out on 4th and short and everybody in the building knew what was going on. Never worked. Rex Ryan was such an awful coach

3 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

That was so embarrassing for EJ. Rex would trot him out on 4th and short and everybody in the building knew what was going on. Never worked. Rex Ryan was such an awful coach

Why EJ got paid good money to go "Hut, Hut!"

Not like he was good for much else anyway

Edited by TBBills

I wish josh wouldn’t hold his hands up on the hard count. I think it was Peyton Manning that saw it first. A very large majority of the time when josh is doing a hard count he has his hands up like he’s gonna get the ball but when he actually gets the ball snapped to him he has his hands at his side and only lifts them when the ball is coming. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I just got the ACC network and I saw EJ as an In studio analyst. He almost sounded like he knew what he was talking about. How he could be so bad on the field is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I wish josh wouldn’t hold his hands up on the hard count. I think it was Peyton Manning that saw it first. A very large majority of the time when josh is doing a hard count he has his hands up like he’s gonna get the ball but when he actually gets the ball snapped to him he has his hands at his side and only lifts them when the ball is coming. 

This

Idk what other people are watching, but Josh's hard count is not effective because he tips his hand every time.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I just got the ACC network and I saw EJ as an In studio analyst. He almost sounded like he knew what he was talking about. How he could be so bad on the field is beyond me.

Coaching - crappy crappy coaching.  That and he sucked at putting the rubber to the road so to speak.

vary things a bit more

like walk up and have an immediate snap instead of slow-walking and then the usual long, drawn-out usual hard-count where the D knows he doesnt get the snap until the play clock is down to 1-0

then maybe snap it on the first count

this way the O keeps the D more honest

its like playing poker, you dont want to show your hand until the end

7 hours ago, Big C said:

Agreed. I HATE the hard count BS at the end of quarters where they so obviously never intended to snap it. 

Except they did snap at the end of the third yesterday and got a ten yard gain to the NE 5-yard line. NE thought they wouldn’t snap it and were caught off guard when the play began with one second left in the quarter.

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

He was actually pretty good until that scramble/knee injury in that Browns (?) Thursday nighter.   He was never the same after that for some reason.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Agree.  Don't understand why lineman aren't taught to automatically jump.  I suppose the risk is if they move too late and the D lineman is already back, or they think the guy jumped, but he didn't go far enough or the ref didn't see it.  But overall agree jump up and down.

Maybe it's one of these things that's much easier to see from up high on TV than when you're in the trenches, so that's why they don't do it more often.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

On 11/2/2020 at 5:19 AM, dave mcbride said:

Except they did snap at the end of the third yesterday and got a ten yard gain to the NE 5-yard line. NE thought they wouldn’t snap it and were caught off guard when the play began with one second left in the quarter.

RIght. And that made me happy.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:08 AM, Nextmanup said:

I clearly remember EJ coming into a game specifically to do a hard count once and I believe he got them to jump...think it was a 4th down and short and they would have had to punt...

On 11/2/2020 at 6:45 AM, fasteddie said:

Coaches ruined him.  They told him not to take so many chances and he regressed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/2/2020 at 1:08 AM, Nextmanup said:

Peyton was the best at it, but Josh is pretty good :)

On 11/2/2020 at 6:45 AM, fasteddie said:

knowing and executing are totally different.  I remember watching him in TC, he literally threw a sideline pass into the VIP tent, no pressure, no reason, just completely whiffed.  He’s got a ton of physical potential, but he was absolutely horrrible.

On 11/3/2020 at 1:00 PM, DCofNC said:

knowing and executing are totally different.  I remember watching him in TC, he literally threw a sideline pass into the VIP tent, no pressure, no reason, just completely whiffed.  He’s got a ton of physical potential, but he was absolutely horrrible.

You know something is bad when it's called horrible with three 'r's.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 11/2/2020 at 4:04 AM, Brennan Huff said:

I actually remember it working a time or two. I think once it maybe even sealed a game?