Point Differential

Mango

Anybody else concerned that the Bills are currently 20th in point differential with -12 at the moment? And not for the first time. We have had a negative point differential in 2017 and 2018 as well. There are currently 3 teams with winning records and a negative differential. LV, CLE, and BUF. There are no teams below .500 with a positive differential. 

12 is fixable. Even as early as next week. But something to keep an eye on with a ton of football to play. We aren’t in great company at the moment. LV is at -1 which will be back in the green if they beat the Bucs. Cleveland feels like a paper tiger. Like the Bills the food have one big loss screwing with the numbers. 

Playoff Teams with Negative Differential

2019- Houston (-7) 10-6: Lose by 20 to the Chiefs in the Divisional round.

2017- Buffalo (-57) 9-7: Lose in one of the most boring playoff match ups in history to the Jags.

- Titans (-22) 9-7: Lose to Pats by 21 in the Divisional round. 

2016- Lions (-12) 9-7: Lose by 20 in the Divisional.

- Dolphins (-17) 10-6: Lose by 18 in the WC. 

- Texans  (-45) 9-7: Lose by 18 to the Pats in the Divisional. 

2014- Panthers (-35) 7-8-1: Beat a Ryan Lindsey lead Arizona team in the WC. Lost by 14 to the Seahawks. 

2013- Packers (-11) 8-7-1: Lost by 3 to the 49ers in the WC. 

2012- Colts (-30) 11-5: Lost by 15 in the WC to Baltimore. 

2011- Giants (-7) 9-7: Won the SB beating the Pats...again. 

- Broncos (-81) 8-8: Tim Tebow. Beat the Steelers in the WC. Lost to Pats by 35 in the Divisional. 

2010- Seahawks (-97) 7-9: Beat the Saints in the WC. Lost to the Bears by 11 in the Divisional.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was thinking the same thing the other day, but it's still too early...not too early for this thread though, definitely something that needs to be followed the rest of the year.

That said, with the difficulty of this schedule, I'm thinking there will be a lot of close games if their record will be good, which most likely doesn't mean a huge positive point differential...anyway to find point differential by strength of schedule maybe?

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Process said:

Yes. If we can't beat the top teams in the league we need to at least show we can dominate the worst ones on the scoreboard. They haven't shown a killer instinct or the ability to dominate a team from start to finish. 

I want to see the Bills put up 40 against the jets this week and win by 3 scores.

Thats what we need to get back on track and restore faith. Beating the Jets by a TD will feel more like a loss than a win. 

this is the same team that barely beat the bengals and Washington last season. 

fans need to realize we aren’t a very good team 

Turnovers is the differential that matters.  They are -2 and 21st in the league.  Only the Raiders at -4 are worse and still have a winning record.  Only 2 INT all year which is tied for 3rd worst in the league.  No pass rush. No INTs. No short fields. No points from the defense in now 22 games (maybe more).  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills gave up a lot of garbage time TD's this year (to the Raiders, Jets and Fins in particular and the Titans piled up a late score too) I don't think the point diff is bad in that context.

The packers just lost by 28 and still have a 35 pt swing on buffalo. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills gave up a lot of garbage time TD's this year (to the Raiders, Jets and Fins in particular and the Titans piled up a late score too) I don't think the point diff is bad in that context.

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Packers have 1 less loss? 

Yes, they do. They have won more games and have a better point differential. That is sort of what this thread is about...

The Phins are a bad reference. The Bills were losing that game in Q4. Also the Raiders were  only down by a score before they fumbled the ball in Q4. These aren’t really garbage time TDS. 

Just now, Mango said:

Yes, they do. They have won more games and have a better point differential. That is sort of what this thread is about...

The Phins are a bad reference. The Bills were losing that game in Q4. Also the Raiders were  only down by a score before they fumbled the ball in Q4. These aren’t really garbage time TDS. 

The Raiders scored a TD with less than a minute left and depleted of timeouts. The Fins and Jets had similar scores. Even the Titans piled on a TD late. My point is that these late scores are deflating point differential. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

Fins, Rams, and Raiders are all .500 or better at the moment.  We're a slightly above average team that's in a slump.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had a couple of these repeat threads. Thought I would bump to the original. Mods, feel free to combined. 

I was hoping the Bills would improve more by now on this stat. They’re -2 now after a 2-2 stretch. With a tough stretch coming up. So far the team seems closer to a 10-6 team than a 13-3/12-4 we thought they might be after the first 4 weeks.

If they can’t improve here over the back half they could end up being one and done again in the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

Good thing playoffs, division winners are based off of wins and losses not point differential

Not really.........you can win a division with 3-4 less wins than a team that misses them altogether. 

You also can't win a SB with a negative point differential in the playoffs...........so it's probably a good idea to try to be a "plus side of the ledger" team if you intend to be more than an also-ran.

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2020 at 12:05 AM, Mango said:

Anybody else concerned that the Bills are currently 20th in point differential with -12 at the moment? And not for the first time. We have had a negative point differential in 2017 and 2018 as well. There are currently 3 teams with winning records and a negative differential. LV, CLE, and BUF. There are no teams below .500 with a positive differential. 

12 is fixable. Even as early as next week. But something to keep an eye on with a ton of football to play. We aren’t in great company at the moment. LV is at -1 which will be back in the green if they beat the Bucs. Cleveland feels like a paper tiger. Like the Bills the food have one big loss screwing with the numbers. 

How does + 67 feel now?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/standings

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Sorry not good enough.  Miami is clearly winning the division with +85.

But but but they might lose by 20 tomorrow and there goes that division crown ya know

Edited by BubbaT

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I hope they both stink and the score is something like 13-10  or even 6-3.  I can't stand either team and I am tired of hearing about both of them.

I would love to see BB just put a clinic on against Tua, but the NE offense is so bad that both teams are stuck in single digits.

I would then be ok with another Tua benching and Fitz pulling the game out.  More QB questions is best.

The last thing I look at is seasonal total point differential.  Those early and middle season weeks are over. 

You are your record.   We are 11-3.

We played a challenging schedule.  We clinched the division with 2 games left and still have a shot to seed higher. 

All phases of our game are improving and we are (knock on wood) pretty healthy.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The last thing I look at is seasonal total point differential.  Those early and middle season weeks are over. 

We played a challenging schedule.  We clinched the division with 2 games left and still have a shot to seed higher. 

Cheers 🍻 and spot on. The Bills 11-3 passes the eye test with as challenging schedule as you can create. Suddenly our point differential is better. 

Edited by QLBillsFan

On 10/20/2020 at 12:43 AM, Penfield45 said:

I will agree this is the worst 11-3 team that has beat 3 definite playoff teams and two possible playoff teams in history. But truly even in October this team was clearly better than last year's team.

58 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Also the Bills have allowed garbage time points in a lot of games because they will trade clock time for points in those situations knowing they will not typically have enough time to win.

• Like (+1) 1