Chargers Team Doctor accidentally punctured Tyrod’s lung; Herbert to start week 3

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Almost every single pulmonologist/anesthesiologist who regularly does thoracentesis or nerve blocks has likely had a pneumothorax. It just happens. 

It is disheartening to see everyone immediately crucify the physician here. 

maybe we should raise the bar

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, he was fired, but is still practicing as a doctor. He’s also @profootballdoc on twitter and called this a couple days ago -

Wasn’t that guy the former Chargers doctor who was accused of some shady stuff himself?

and I think there might be no team that has more injuries than the Chargers.  It’s always something weird with that team.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

With all due respect who deserves the blame? This is clearly a BAD situation and from where I’m sitting it is 100% the physician’s fault. It’s unfortunate, and an accident, but still their fault. It’s like a car accident. No one wants it to happen but someone is usually to blame.

Of course it’s bad.  And the doc is to blame.  The question is whether the doc was negligent.  If the lung puncture is a potential risk of the injection, then it’s possible the doc wasn’t negligent.  

No matter the outcome of the negligence question, though, the Chargers doc has to go.  Players will not want to go there if they think the medical staff is incompetent.  We went through that with our team doc a couple of decades ago.  The players did not trust him and went elsewhere for surgeries whenever possible.  

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wasn’t that guy the former Chargers doctor who was accused of some shady stuff himself?

and I think there might be no team that has more injuries than the Chargers.  It’s always something weird with that team.

Can you imagine what the board would be like if that same thing happened when Tyrod was here?

I can't.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Sure it does, but most stuff here is tongue and cheek.

I am sure most doctors would understand how much visibility and scrutiny their work could have if their patients are in the public eye.

To add on, most of the time when this happens it isn't career altering. Imagine I needed a cortisone shot to do my job. Doc slips too far in, punctures my lung. Now instead of being say a "manager" I am immediately some sort of "support rep". So sure it happens, but rarely is the result career altering. 

Also, this is why doctors carry a TON of insurance. Sometimes very costly accidents happen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

To add on, most of the time when this happens it isn't career altering. Imagine I needed a cortisone shot to do my job. Doc slips too far in, punctures my lung. Now instead of being say a "manager" I am immediately some sort of "support rep". So sure it happens, but rarely is the result career altering. 

Also, this is why doctors carry a TON of insurance. Sometimes very costly accidents happen. 

Chris Carter. Before you do anything, make sure you got a fall guy. Setup someone straight out of med school, or a physician assistant. It's not about merit and ability. Sure that's part of it and makes life easier. It's all about setting people up.

If I was getting sued, I would just say Tyrod moved. He's got the yips or something.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, spartacus said:

how hard to Lynn push to get Tyrod on the field

sounds like getting a pain shot in the locker room immediately before the was a pretty desparate move

This happens all the time. I remember in college, I hurt my hip in practice, barely could run, and they gave me a shot so I could play in the game and I couldn’t feel a thing.  It’s a really shady business but players know the risk.  For Tyrod, if he doesn’t play, he loses his starting job.  Players face this every game.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, spartacus said:

how hard to Lynn push to get Tyrod on the field

sounds like getting a pain shot in the locker room immediately before the was a pretty desparate move

I bet this happens all the time in the NFL. These guys basically get paid to either crash into somebody with the force of a Toyota or get crashed into by a Toyota. Over and over again for about 3 hours. Then they spend the entire off season to get as strong as possible so that it hurts the other guy more. These guys are all doped up for 4-5 months of the year. 

18 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Of course it’s bad.  And the doc is to blame.  The question is whether the doc was negligent.  If the lung puncture is a potential risk of the injection, then it’s possible the doc wasn’t negligent. 

It is a known risk

The incidence is supposed to be something like <0.5% and to decline with physician experience and with use of ultrasound to guide the injection

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Been to a surgery recently ??  

These docs need maps 

IMG_0596_large.JPG?v=1515870210     sspx0032-copy1.jpg?w=584

I had eye surgery a few years back due to an old injury.  It took me a few years to decide to go through with it, and as they were getting ready to put me under, the nurse confirmed which eye the surgery was on, grabbed a magic marker and made an X over it.  She told me it can get confusing for the doctor depending on where he was standing.  It was not all that reassuring and I started to ask more questions and the lights went out.  

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I bet this happens all the time in the NFL. These guys basically get paid to either crash into somebody with the force of a Toyota or get crashed into by a Toyota. Over and over again for about 3 hours. Then they spend the entire off season to get as strong as possible so that it hurts the other guy more. These guys are all doped up for 4-5 months of the year. 

Pain injections?  Absolutely common in the NFL.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/2016-5-23-eugene-monroe-ravens-marijuana-opioids-toradol-nfl

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think (but not 100% sure) that the CBA has something about players consenting to team medical care 

I think this is correct. I’m wondering if, because this procedure has a known risk of pneumothorax, the doctor explained that risk and/or had TT sign a disclaimer before it was administered. I wonder if the team, physician, and league are indemnified as a result.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I had eye surgery a few years back due to an old injury.  It took me a few years to decide to go through with it, and as they were getting ready to put me under, the nurse confirmed which eye the surgery was on, grabbed a magic marker and made an X over it.  She told me it can get confusing for the doctor depending on where he was standing.  It was not all that reassuring and I started to ask more questions and the lights went out.  

we need a “worried face emoji” reaction... lol

😬

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Lol

Assistant: "We're doing the left eye today, doctor."

Doctor: "My left or his left?"

• Haha (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's pretty routine, actually, especially as the season wears on.  There's a line, as I understand it.

I assume every team has a handful of players getting these shots every week.

To hear past players talk about it, it is pretty standard.

But typically it's in a knee or arm, not the chest, and not with an accidental lung puncture! Yikes!

Seems it can happen, puncturing a lung when giving an injection to the rib area. What is more questionable, is this culture of drugs and painkillers in the NFL, including all the pain shots which are no mystery. Expect the NFL to go even more "woke" or find distractions if this becomes a topic the media focuses on, as they obviously don't want lawsuits or bad press.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Did they fire the doctor, yet? 

Can't imagine he would survive that level of mistake.

You would be surprised how often medical providers commit medical malpractice and suffer relatively minor professional repercussions. 

I'm not even entirely sure that this incident would rise to the level of medical malpractice, but I have no idea what the standard of care is in this regard.