Will Beane make a trade before cuts?

Cut down is right around the corner and if Beane is going to try to trade a player (or two) it will be in the next few days.

The only position I can see that the Bills might want some more depth might be CB.  (Just signed Brian Allen)!

There definitely are going to be some players cut that won't make it to our PS.  Will Beane get a pick or two?

Maybe a team needing a WR or DL help would do a trade?  If so, what players do you think Beane could try to make available?

Edited by ColoradoBills

With the way things are now..and no scouting in the preseason/training camp..it is going to be hard.

The only thing I think they MIGHT do (but not likely) is a backup for a backup with someone..but only if that is a player they have kept an eye on for a while in the past.  I really don't see anything happening though.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I struggle to see who they’d be able to move for any real value.

Maybe if some team wanted to take a flyer on Duke they could get a conditional 7th.

Other than that I’m stumped.

I would guess it would be an offensive lineman. The Bills have some good depth, and its an areas that teams will especially struggle with. 

I don’t think there is any doubt that he’s going to try and trade Mckenzie, Duke and Foster along with the best OL they plan to cut. 

Beane is always trying to get something for nothing.  He’s done pretty well with it.  The more bargaining chips we have for draft day trades, the better 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Maybe if some team wanted to take a flyer on Duke they could get a conditional 7th.

If they could trade Bodine last year, anything is possible along with Teller too!

It has to be young guys on cheap contracts so that limits the list, but here's my thoughts on who you could maybe get something in return:

There's a handful of offensive lineman to choose from Ike, Winters, Bates, Boehm Jason Croom, Duke, McKenzie, Foster, V Taylor, Love, Cox

I'd also think if the Bills planned to keep DE Johnson, but they were offering either Cox or Love for a 7th, but a team cam back andsaid they'd give us a 5th for Johnson, he'd likely make that move too.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

Backup MLB is still a mess and backup OLB is an unknown. Third TE is still unsettled. Honestly those are the only positions that I think are up for grabs. I don't like the backup QB situation but they aren't going to make a change there.

Ideally they make a move to get a veteran MLB and the other 52 are already in camp.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

With the way things are now..and no scouting in the preseason/training camp..it is going to be hard.

The only thing I think they MIGHT do (but not likely) is a backup for a backup with someone..but only if that is a player they have kept an eye on for a while in the past.  I really don't see anything happening though.

I get that too.  I guess it's more about a team with a real hole somewhere that may do it.

IF the Jets (who need WR help) were not in the division and playing the Bills right out of the gate it could be one of those teams.

There is so little news without preseason this year I don't know other teams needs.

Kind of why I started a thread )which I seldom do).

12 minutes ago, DFT said:

Tough to see where he could improve, honestly.  

I just had to double-take my saying that about the Bills.  But 2020....   

I guess I was thinking more of....... "Is there any players Beane could move for picks"?

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

why trade before the cut?

Wait for the cuts....  Use the waiver wire if possible 

Then if you need  make a trade.  

You do it to avoid guys getting to the wire. As an example if you are going to cut Duke and the Eagles are going to cut Sidney Jones why not try to swap?

21 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Eagles in a world of hurt on the OL

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I would guess it would be an offensive lineman. The Bills have some good depth, and its an areas that teams will especially struggle with. 

Agree. Why not reach out to Philly and offer a guard for a pick? They just lost Dillard (and will likely move Peters back to LT). I think I read somewhere they were lacking depth there. For someone we’d like to keep, but can’t make it work, why not spin him for a pick? 

In a normal offseason I think Beane snags a pick or two or maybe player for player but I don’t think that’s gonna happen this year. Cuts are going to be the hardest ever with no game action. Gonna be a lot of quality players released. 

• Like (+1) 1

On D I could see Johnson (DE), Love, or Marlowe getting dealt.

On O, any of the extra O-lineman or WRs.

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Beane is always trying to get something for nothing.  He’s done pretty well with it.  The more bargaining chips we have for draft day trades, the better 

Pretty much this

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I get that too.  I guess it's more about a team with a real hole somewhere that may do it.

IF the Jets (who need WR help) were not in the division and playing the Bills right out of the gate it could be one of those teams.

There is so little news without preseason this year I don't know other teams needs.

Kind of why I started a thread )which I seldom do).

I guess I was thinking more of....... "Is there any players Beane could move for picks"?

Agh, gotcha.   I could see Ty, Yeldon or Kroft possibly being traded.  I don’t hope for it though.  My surprise move would be Milano.   

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You do it to avoid guys getting to the wire. As an example if you are going to cut Duke and the Eagles are going to cut Sidney Jones why not try to swap?

I guess.

in the "What if" scenario 

But if both are cut ....  less hassle with contracts no? 

They are deep interior line and WR.  They got a 5th for Wyatt Teller and a 6th for the center tot he pats last year....it could happen...it also might not, teams can just take their chances to sign them after cuts.  He will be trying though, you can be sure of that.

I think a lot of it has to do with having far better depth, generally.

This leads to interest from other teams, and they are often willing to part with a lower round pick to get someone they like, rather than risk not getting them through the waiver wire.

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I guess.

in the "What if" scenario 

But if both are cut ....  less hassle with contracts no? 

Teams do these trades to avoid all the other teams ahead of them on the waiver pecking order.

5 minutes ago, Cruiserplayer said:

If Beane does work a trade should he try and get 2022 picks?

Interesting point.

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Eagles in a world of hurt on the OL

That’s what I was thinking.  They could

winters at a discount if we think he’s unlikely to start and of no more value than, say, boettger. 

Edited by SectionC3

How about adding someone to replace Matt Barkley?

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

I wonder what it’d take to get Yannick from the Jaguars?

Then who does he replace? I just don't see it unless Epenesa is playing terribly and even then.

Will he make a trade...?, if the opportunity for a real benefit to the team presents itself you can be rest assured that Beane will pull the trigger, but we know that waiver claim order and  an other teams needs will go a long way in dictating how such a transaction will work out. If a team needs one of our potential cuts and can’t compete on the waiver process then a trade is more likely. It will be interesting to watch how things unfold. 

Go Bills!!!

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hell no lots of great talent in this one. Jmo of course 

And it's going to be a strange draft with little or no 2020 tape on guys.  That means valuations are going to be all over the place and there are likely going to many many more high pick misses and low pick steals.  For example, if Joe Burrow was drafted without his 2019 season there is no chance he's #1 overall pick.  He'd have gone several rounds lower.

It's a gamble, but if you trust your talent evaluation staff getting a bunch of mid level picks in 2021 could be very fruitful.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

And it's going to be a strange draft with little or no 2020 tape on guys.  That means valuations are going to be all over the place and there are likely going to many many more high pick misses and low pick steals.  For example, if Joe Burrow was drafted without his 2019 season there is no chance he's #1 overall pick.  He'd have gone several rounds lower.

It's a gamble, but if you trust your talent evaluation staff getting a bunch of mid level picks in 2021 could be very fruitful.

Some guys are ready to draft regardless of what they do this year but I understand a 7 round draft would be more of a crapshoot than normal 

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Guys for late round pickc maybe

Robert Foster (I know I know but he is fast)

Duke Williams for a late rounder or maybe a little better pick in 2022

This would allow us to keep all our rooks and McKenzie who really does fit this offense

I think Foster might sneak onto the team if Taiwan Jones's injury is significant.  But I agree on Williams; I'd like to move him just to keep him away from the Jets.  I kind of sense that we might be able to work something out with Philly w/r/t guard.  Winters at $2m might look good to them if he's not going to start here.  

On another note, when do you think they are going to start paring down the roster? You wouldn't think they'd want the extra bodies around during game week prep, or maybe they would as covid insurance. I dunno. They don't have to cut anyone until September 5 but I think moves might start in dribs and drabs sooner than that.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think there is any doubt that he’s going to try and trade Mckenzie, Duke and Foster along with the best OL they plan to cut. 

I say yes. It’s what he does. He’s a witch when it comes to landing mid to late draft picks for guys who are not going to make the roster. Then he uses them to move around on draft day. It’s become a bit of a tradition, it seems. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Guys for late round pickc maybe

Robert Foster (I know I know but he is fast)

Duke Williams for a late rounder or maybe a little better pick in 2022

This would allow us to keep all our rooks and McKenzie who really does fit this offense

Even with the latest upgrade, I don't think the board has the capabilities to handle any more 100+ page threads debating the merits and/or shortcomings of Duke and Foster.  ?

?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1