Bills announce no fans for 1st 2 home games

Tbh, something that struck me, was the implications of trying to track and trace vast quantities of people, if there was an 'outbreak'. The assumption being there could be anything between 15 to 25,000 needing to be dealt with. Looks like a logistical nightmare to me, and something that no one will want to be having to do, even assuming the resources are there to do it.

I would rather see a whole football season with no fans present, than one where nobody is sure of how things are going to pan out, and has serious potential to fail.

The NFL needs to actually make one set of rules for all, and then enforce them, even if, sadly, it is the lowest common denominator, of 'no fans'.

While nothing beats actually 'being there', I'd bet that an awful lot of sports fans spend enough time watching from their armchairs, that we can manage to put up with it for a year.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

"Thank you for your continued support through this challenging offseason. We hope you and your family and friends are staying safe and healthy.

In June, New York State issued COVID-19 guidance to allow professional sports to be played without spectators. After much discussion and collaboration with the State and Erie County, those guidelines will remain unchanged for at least our first two home games against the New York Jets on September 13, and the Los Angeles Rams on September 27. We fully support New York State’s efforts to keep New Yorkers safe and will continue working together, along with the NFL, to establish policies and procedures that hopefully permit fans later this season.

We appreciate your patience and continued support of the Bills, and we will communicate any changes or future ticket sales dates in the weeks ahead.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your account representative."

So this applies to the Jets and the Giants too. Oh...........wait! 

These are strange times, indeed. It would be nice if every team played by the same set of rules to be fair, but at this point I’ll just be happy if we get a full season in. Life isn’t always fair. It makes sense to wait and see where are are as we move forward. All we can do is hope for the best. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

So this applies to the Jets and the Giants too. Oh...........wait! 

These are strange times, indeed. It would be nice if every team played by the same set of rules to be fair, but at this point I’ll just be happy if we get a full season in. Life isn’t always fair. It makes sense to wait and see where are are as we move forward. All we can do is hope for the best. 

Sadly we could only go to Canada and they wouldnt allow us to play at all.

Edited by TBBills

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I give it a 1% chance that they’ll change their tune for games 3&4 (and beyond).  The narrative will either be “cases are SKYROCKETING since kids are back in school!!!!!” or “let’s continue to be as safe as possible so we don’t end up like those southern states”.

I don't see fans at games this year either.

The league doesn't need fans at games; they need games to be played and televised.

• Thank you (+1) 1

My guess is that all of you folks whining about no fans for the first 2 games, would be the very first ones to whine if they decided to let in a limited number but with very strict rules.

Then you would get your tickets and be the very first ones to break each and every rule once you were in the stadium.

THIS is why we can't have nice things!

Your whining say a lot about you.

Edited by cd1
  • Like (+1) 2

They should tack on a few more or maybe the whole season while they are at it.

Players don’t need fans there.  Take a look at the NHL or NBA.  Players can still hit game winning threes or miss game winning threes with or without fans.

If you think fan presence has any impact.  That’s a fable.

i mean we know us Buffalo Fans.  Don’t we?  A decade of plus of sold out stadiums that resulted in some of the worse losing in history of sports.

Team will be just fine or not with or without anyone.

• Like (+1) 2

B-ball & hockey are barely different without fans.  Baseball is quite a bit different, but only when a visiting pitcher is in a jam. 

Without fans, football will have the most pronounced difference of all the major sports.  I think you'll see much higher scoring games in general, as road teams shouldn't have to spend any wasted time on hand signals and auto adjustments due to noise.  Even for Bills road games, I doubt 3,000 fans in Miami will even create a din.  Actually the 10,000 Bills fans in Miami may turn that one into a road game for the Fins.

That playoff crowd noise in Texas really hampered the Bills late in that game.

Edited by BeerLeagueHockey

16 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

B-ball & hockey are barely different without fans.  Baseball is quite a bit different, but only when a visiting pitcher is in a jam. 

Without fans, football will have the most pronounced difference of all the major sports.  I think you'll see much higher scoring games in general, as road teams shouldn't have to spend any wasted time on hand signals and auto adjustments due to noise.  Even for Bills road games, I doubt 3,000 fans in Miami will even create a din.  Actually the 10,000 Bills fans in Miami may turn that one into a road game for the Fins.

That playoff crowd noise in Texas really hampered the Bills late in that game.

Buffalo in 8-8 at home past 2 seasons

Wins against

Mariota, Bortles, Tannehill, Stafford, Dalton, Fitz, Haskins, Brandon Allen

Loses against

Rivers, Brady, Brady, Darnold, Darnold, Trubisky, Wentz, Jackson

Fan noise?  I think it’s just quality of your opposing quarterback.  

1 minute ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Buffalo in 8-8 at home past 2 seasons

Wins against

Mariota, Bortles, Tannehill, Stafford, Dalton, Fitz, Haskins, Brandon Allen

Loses against

Rivers, Brady, Brady, Darnold, Darnold, Trubisky, Wentz, Jackson

Fan noise?  I think it’s just quality of your opposing quarterback.  

Well this certainly settles it. ???‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

You can’t police completely what fans do outside of the stadium. So all it will take is for some people not to follow the rules and you are setting yourself up for another outbreak which is not worth the risk. Will it suck not to have any fans yes it will but unfortunately sacrifices have to made.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I think the Mafia is going to show out in the lots . Bring air horns and all types of noise making objects . Pretty sure they'd hear us

The lots won't be open.

Orchard Park voted not to allow tailgating of any kind around Bills games.

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

There is no reason to go this far with it. They could allow spread out fans and mandate masks, it would be fine.

I can think of about 170,000 reasons but I defer to your epidemiology degree and your supernatural ability to read the future. I assume you spend most of your time in Vegas beating the house.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, teef said:

#orangelivesmatter?

teef, I am sick of your blatant racism towards orange skinned people....you are trivialising our agenda..errr I mean cause... You sir, can take your hash tag and cram it up your rear end!!! 

Sorry, I just felt the need to tell you to insert something in your rear and didn't know how else to bring it up...:unsure:

• Haha (+1) 1

There is actually a pretty serious liability concern.  The Bills would be responsible for enforcing mask rules. Regardless of their efforts, if a person is spotted without a mask, the Bills are subject to civil penalties. You let in thousands of fans, you could be setting yourself up to serious liability. 

I would bet you my right arm it has more to do with that than health concerns. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The lots won't be open.

Orchard Park voted not to allow tailgating of any kind around Bills games.

ECDOH shut it down.  OP, stunningly, was going to allow it until Polo got wind of it and (smartly) shut it down. 

Edited by SectionC3

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

I can think of about 170,000 reasons but I defer to your epidemiology degree and your supernatural ability to read the future. I assume you spend most of your time in Vegas beating the house.

There is practically no danger if people are spread out and wearing masks. That is what the science shows. Even in New York restaurants and businesses are open, you just have to wear a mask. If fans can't enter the stadium for safety reasons, everything should be shut down.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There is practically no danger if people are spread out and wearing masks. That is what the science shows. Even in New York restaurants and businesses are open, you just have to wear a mask. If fans can't enter the stadium for safety reasons, everything should be shut down.

Yes, the science shows that maintaining 6 feet apart significantly reduces the risk.

How do you keep 6 feet apart and still get from the aisle to your seat while squeezing past everyone else seated in that row between the aisle and your seat? Personal hovercraft?

Does the science say that brief, up close interaction with others poses "practically no danger"? Are fans going to keep their masks on while cheering and yelling and whooping it up over a big play? A bad call? How about the fans who have had a few too many beers? How many times does a fan, on average get in and out of their seat to use the bathroom, get food or another cold drink? Comparing a stadium of 20-30 thousand people with a 10 table restaurant in the east village is, I don't know, maybe not the fairest comparison ever. I am not saying no way, no how but I am also not convinced that there is "no reason" to worry and that there is "practically no danger". 

I listened to a podcast the other day with the Dolphin's front office guy in charge of trying to make things safe for some fans. All the things they are doing are pretty impressive but he never explained how people would get back and forth to their seats or how they stay 6 feet apart in the aisle. Ditto how on earth they are going to police the maskless morons who will no doubt be in attendance, wearing masks just long enough to get in.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I think there's about 175,000 reasons not to allow fans into games.  But don't let that stand in the way of reason and prudence

I just had dinner at a restaurant,  inside, no masks at the tables six feet apart, that’s okay. I can go the the gym soon, use the same equipment everybody else is touching, that's okay. Soon I can  even take a group exercise class in a room with others six feet apart but breathing hard, that's okay. I can protest with hundreds of others, that's okay. But I can't sit outside, in a mask, with 13,000 people in a stadium built for 70,000?  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

I hope they can somehow get Pinto Kenny inside...maybe even as stadium crew.  Need to keep the Ripken-esque streak alive.

It's Kenny's record, he can decide whether it continues even if he's not inside, or if it's officially ended. 

14 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Ditto how on earth they are going to police the maskless morons who will no doubt be in attendance, wearing masks just long enough to get in.

Simple, you're spotted not wearing a mask, get confronted by security with a choice, put it back on, or leave. 

6 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

You're 6' apart in a restaurants,  indoors w/o masks now for Christ sake. You'd be masked-up, and spread out in the stadium pius you're outside. With proper spacing there's no reason we can't have fans. This is just stupid.

6' apart in restaurants indoors without masks may not be such a safe thing. 

https://fortune.com/2020/08/25/covid-outbreak-starbucks-seoul-masks-employees/?fbclid=IwAR3XBb_2qMeZM_NmmWGRM26cLENyXiEqQOkAPZ3VuWGA54_8qOFnetQ2Suo

I'm not gonna be eating indoors in a restaurant any time soon myself. 

Do you feel fans would keep their masks on?  Would they be screaming and shouting?  Getting drunk and whups there goes the mask?

I don't know if it can be done safely.   

I frankly think "Bills Mafia" reputation for hard-drinking and hard-core noisy enthusiastic fandom is being kind of held against us here.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Simple, you're spotted not wearing a mask, get confronted by security with a choice, put it back on, or leave. 

Do you feel that would work?  Honest question - I don't know what it's like with mask wearing in NYS, really.  We traveled across the Southern Tier then from Finger Lakes to B'lo in late May.  At truck stops and rest stops and on the street, saw very few people masked up, including indoors.

In Missouri, what you propose 100% wouldn't.  Most people in Missouri have not "bought in" to masks outside a few limited areas.  We have county and city council meetings that would do Florida Man and "Things Gotta Breathe" woman proud, even while the ICUs are at 100% and the hospitals are filling up in rural areas with limited capacity.

One security guard is relatively helpless against 100 or 1000 people who look at him when he tells them to put their mask on or leave like "not gonna happen, bub".  If it's 1 or 2 people - sure. 

So how do you get to the ponit where it's for reals likely to be 1 or 2 people, and not 100 or 1000 or 13000?

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you feel that would work?  Honest question - I don't know what it's like with mask wearing in NYS, really.  We traveled across the Southern Tier then from Finger Lakes to B'lo in late May.  At truck stops and rest stops and on the street, saw very few people masked up, including indoors.

In Missouri, what you propose 100% wouldn't.  Most people in Missouri have not "bought in" to masks outside a few limited areas.  We have county and city council meetings that would do Florida Man and "Things Gotta Breathe" woman proud, even while the ICUs are at 100% and the hospitals are filling up in rural areas with limited capacity.

One security guard is relatively helpless against 100 or 1000 people who look at him when he tells them to put their mask on or leave like "not gonna happen, bub".  If it's 1 or 2 people - sure. 

So how do you get to the ponit where it's for reals likely to be 1 or 2 people, and not 100 or 1000 or 13000?

Do you live in Western NY?  Compliance is pretty much 100% here in businesses that require masks, which is every single one... I’m out in stores quite a bit (at least 4x a week).  I’ve seen maybe two guys in the last month not wearing a mask.

Nevermind, saw you’re in Missouri.  Are ICUs really still at capacity in the state?   Dang.

Edited by RiotAct

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

6' apart in restaurants indoors without masks may not be such a safe thing. 

https://fortune.com/2020/08/25/covid-outbreak-starbucks-seoul-masks-employees/?fbclid=IwAR3XBb_2qMeZM_NmmWGRM26cLENyXiEqQOkAPZ3VuWGA54_8qOFnetQ2Suo

I'm not gonna be eating indoors in a restaurant any time soon myself. 

Do you feel fans would keep their masks on?  Would they be screaming and shouting?  Getting drunk and whups there goes the mask?

I don't know if it can be done safely.   

I frankly think "Bills Mafia" reputation for hard-drinking and hard-core noisy enthusiastic fandom is being kind of held against us here.

Honestly not everybody's in idiot. I think generally people respect rules and regulations and in a smaller group with more supervision would be fine.  I think we need to expect the best from people.  I honestly expect they would understand that they represent all of us and behave accordingly.