2020 NFL HOF class

Reed83HOF

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Solid class. You knew Troy was going in first ballot and Atwater deserves to be in there too. Hutchinson was the most dominant G in the game at one point. James and Bruce are meh to me though. 

I agree with Deion Sanders - it is becoming the hall of good/great. Zach Thomas is certainly not a HOFer, not once in his career did I say man he is amazing

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I agree with Deion Sanders - it is becoming the hall of good/great. Zach Thomas is certainly not a HOFer, not once in his career did I say man he is amazing

Where has Deion been living the last 15 years? He just now notices this about the Hall?

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

Solid class. You knew Troy was going in first ballot and Atwater deserves to be in there too. Hutchinson was the most dominant G in the game at one point. James and Bruce are meh to me though. 

I think Issac Bruce is deserving. James, not so much. Hutchinson I have reservations, but I understand. Polamalu & Atwater I can understand.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Yep. Edge getting in is ridiculous, but at least it wasn't Zach friggin' Thomas.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Where has Deion been living the last 15 years? He just now notices this about the Hall?

I think Issac Bruce is deserving. James, not so much. Hutchinson I have reservations, but I understand. Polamalu & Atwater I can understand.

It is the inevitable result of having yearly enshrinement. 

• Like (+1) 1

I remember watching Atwater play at the Ralph in the glory days. He picked off Jim Kelly like he was reading his mind. Great player, great tackler

Isaac Bruce was always one of my favourites. Was lucky to have seen him at the Ralph circa 2006

Edited by stuvian

58 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

He is right but adding Neon Deion was start of it.  He was a DB who could do things not many could but mouth is not an NFL skill. 

Coaches who ran at him and WRs who were physical could make him ordinary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I never watched Edgerrin James and thought HOF

4 hours ago, Rico said:

Yep. Edge getting in is ridiculous, but at least it wasn't Zach friggin' Thomas.

Edge was a stud . He has more rushing TDs and yards than Thurman

He was a complete all around back who had seasons of 1500 and 1700 and another 1500 yard season, and another 15000 yard season and a few 1200 yarders

He came into the league a stud

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3

Troy deserved to be a 1st ballot guy. The rest are good to great and you could make cases for each of them. None were game changers though. The whole list from 25 down to 5 was very bland. Maybe the worst in years.

They really need to remove the "must have 5 every year". 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rico said:

James was not as good as Thurman Thomas, but he was close:

James: 11 years

Thomas: 13 years

James: 7 seasons over 1,000 yards rushing, and one at 989 when he missed two games, with highs of 1,709 and 1,553 yards.

Thomas: 8 season over 1,000 yards rushing, with highs of 1,487 and 1,407 yards.

James: 4 seasons over 1,500 yards rushing: 

Thomas: 0 seasons over 1,500 yards

James: 4.0 YPA career

Thomas 4.2 YPA career

James: 97 career TD's

Thomas: 109 career TD's

James: 2 season over 500 yards receiving at 594 and 586 yards

Thomas: 4 season over 500 yards receiving: 669, 631, 629, and 532 yards

James: 7.8 YPR career

Thomas: 9.4 YPR career

James: 1 year All-Pro and 4 years Pro Bowl

Thomas: 2 years All Pro and 5 years Pro Bowl

James: 6-7 in playoffs and 0-1 in SB's

Thomas: 11-10 in playoffs and 0-4 on SB's

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I never watched Edgerrin James and thought HOF

I never thought HOF when I saw Curtis Martin or Frank Gore (a lock now), either. There are many, many other examples, and every year the list grows.

Take a look at baseball, where Harold Baines is a Hall of Famer (along with Jack Morris and A. Trammell). All very good players, but not HOF'ers, imo.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

My take on Edge:

- not nearly as good as Marshall Faulk, stupid trade by Polian.

- nice stats with the Colts, but never really distinguished himself in big games. In his defense here, he did have a Big Game Chump for a QB.

- Colts finally won a Super Bowl the year after he left.

- Moved on to the Cardinals (dregs of the league zzzz). He did though go to a SB with them, did nothing in the big game, and was gone the next year.

- Finished his career as a scrub with the Seahawks, cut after half a year on the team.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is the inevitable result of having yearly enshrinement. 

Yes, outside of this year they always enshrine six.  I liked when Baseball in 2013 didn’t induct anybody.  If there’s nobody worthwhile they shouldn’t go looking for someone just to induct.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Rico said:

My take on Edge:

- not nearly as good as Marshall Faulk, stupid trade by Polian.

- nice stats with the Colts, but never really distinguished himself in big games. In his defense here, he did have a Big Game Chump for a QB.

- Colts finally won a Super Bowl the year after he left.

- Moved on to the Cardinals (dregs of the league zzzz). He did though go to a SB with them, did nothing in the big game, and was gone the next year.

- Finished his career as a scrub with the Seahawks, cut after half a year on the team.

Another Colt gets in and it becomes more mind blowing how much talent and how many seasons Dungy wasted in Indy.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, chongli said:

James was not as good as Thurman Thomas, but he was close:

James: 11 years

Thomas: 13 years

James: 7 seasons over 1,000 yards rushing, and one at 989 when he missed two games, with highs of 1,709 and 1,553 yards.

Thomas: 8 season over 1,000 yards rushing, with highs of 1,487 and 1,407 yards.

James: 4 seasons over 1,500 yards rushing: 

Thomas: 0 seasons over 1,500 yards

James: 4.0 YPA career

Thomas 4.2 YPA career

James: 97 career TD's

Thomas: 109 career TD's

James: 2 season over 500 yards receiving at 594 and 586 yards

Thomas: 4 season over 500 yards receiving: 669, 631, 629, and 532 yards

James: 7.8 YPR career

Thomas: 9.4 YPR career

James: 1 year All-Pro and 4 years Pro Bowl

Thomas: 2 years All Pro and 5 years Pro Bowl

James: 6-7 in playoffs and 0-1 in SB's

Thomas: 11-10 in playoffs and 0-4 on SB's

Thomas was MVP in 1991, and deserved it.  James was never close to deserving that award in any year.  I have a similar complaint about Gore getting in.  It's not the Hall of Consistently Very Good.

What a tough choice, figuring who was better, Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed.  Just a pair of great great safeties who happened to play at about the same time.  I think Reed was better at playing within the system, while Troy was a cruise missile.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Utah John said:

Thomas was MVP in 1991, and deserved it.  James was never close to deserving that award in any year.  I have a similar complaint about Gore getting in.  It's not the Hall of Consistently Very Good.

What a tough choice, figuring who was better, Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed.  Just a pair of great great safeties who happened to play at about the same time.  I think Reed was better at playing within the system, while Troy was a cruise missile.  

They were both amazing and as a DB guys I was amazed by

They were different players but both impacted the game so much

Troy was like a LBr playing safety who also had some great ball skill's. He was a superstar that could do everything and left nothing back

Ed was such a gifted ballhawk that saw the game batter than anyone

He saw routes develop better than the WRs that ran them and he could also lay the wood.. what a amazing talent with the ball in his hands and such a class act

Both are truly immortalized in my eyes in the history of the game and what fun players they both were

James should not be in the hall. Very underwhelming considering he played with one of the greatest quarterbacks. 

Was he good sure. Was he HOF great, no. I guess after seeing the stats he was maybe better then I remember? Still never thought of the guy as wow hes great...

Edited by Sharky7337

Palamalu and Hutchinson are the only guys HOF worthy. Terribly mediocre class. 

I will still beat the drum that Don Coryell is more important to NFL than any of these other guys. And Tom Flores not in the HOF is a crime. Two time SB winner from the same franchise that out Madden in with only one.

As others have said I never once thought Gore, Martin, or James were ever HOF worthy. But they have the numbers to back it up. And in a passing league if you are top 15 and top3 in rushing yards it does speak to some level of greatness.

3 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

James should not be in the hall. Very underwhelming considering he played with one of the greatest quarterbacks. 

Was he good sure. Was he HOF great, no. I guess after seeing the stats he was maybe better then I remember? Still never thought of the guy as wow hes great...

Would you put in James or Harrison? I'd argue Harrison was more a product of Manning than James was. I think neither belong based on eyeball test but the stats say otherwise.

The running back debate is always a particularly interesting one. You have James with his 7 years of 1,000 plus yards, twice the NFL rushing leader, twice a 1st team all pro, and the OROTY and you have Terrell Davis, with what is basically a four year career, 3 times a 1st team all pro, 2 Superbowl rings and a Superbowl MVP.

How do you judge longevity vs impact? Is one or the other enough for HOFer? Or really should a HOF career at running back require both?

I thought some one other than Edgerin James should have made it like maybe Steve Tasker ? James was a good player but i thought the HOF was for special players Edgerin was better than average but IMHO not a "Great" player which Tasker's peers have been said that he set the bar for all ST's players after him & they look to be like him .

What more needs to be said if other players look to another player to be like & raise their personal game to that level & most players that play on the same squad as a player that had that type of influence on others for such a long time after their respective career was over i'd say that is something special & belongs in the HOF .

JMHO !!