The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

6 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If this time away from school doesn’t have to be made up, shouldn’t we get a portion of our school taxes back?

Absolutely.  My kids were super pissed about school closing, until they were told it would not cost them any time at the lake house this summer.  

19 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....I'm supposed to take my kids and daughter in law to Aruba next Sunday......that is about to go up in smoke........

St Maarten just restricted all flights from USA for next two weeks. The order cam e from The Hague, so Aruba probably included as well. 

12 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Trumps press conference was unbelievable. He won’t get tested, or he might, even though he should. They were all gathered there close together, all breathing into the same ? shaking hands and making up more lies. 

Trump is unfit 

oh no.  That tears it.  Let’s storm the gates of the White House!  Meet me at the Woodrow Wilson Bridge tomorrow at 3 PM.

When the rumblings came in Friday that Spain was going to lockdown Saturday, I had Hubby book us tickets home. We were off this morning before the sun came up, getting a flight home through Lisbon.

Arriving at Newark, we sat on the tarmac for over an hour since they were “clearing planes.” We pull up to the gate, all the passengers queued up to deplane when someone from the CDC comes onto the plane with forms. (In all the traveling we have done since the Wuhan flu was unleashed on an unsuspecting world, only one place has had forms before this ... Morroco.)

We are all told to fill out the form, and have a seat (on the plane) until our plane was called. The prior plane waited 90 minutes to be called, not counting tarmac time.

We were fortunate as under 45 minutes later, we were called.

Someone SCREAMED at us to get in a single file (honestly though, with the complete cluster***** this was, that was the only #######... all the rest of the officers, cdc, and customs agents were super nice in a trying situation), and then people did the forehead temperature thing to every passenger, and recorded it on those sheets we filled out.

After that, the CDC forms were collected, and it was on to passport control... where global entry was not working.

As we were waiting in line, one of the line mushers struck up a conversation with us that “in seven years I have never seen anything like this.” He mentioned he’d go to lunch, and the procedure would change afterwards. The next day, different procedures again.

After our passports were checked, they were taken away for a secondary (we all guessed (no one told us) that it was because we had been in either France  or Spain, and they were checking against temperatures). 

3.5 hours after we landed, we were all let out into the wild! Just kidding. As I suspected days ago, we need to self quarantine for two weeks.

My son and his fiancée flew home via Toronto last night. He said it was a form and 45 minutes later they were done. He’s working from home during his self quarantine, his fiancée is a nurse so she is off the next two weeks.

Oh, there was a warning for the African West Nile Virus on one of the screens at customs, so the guy next to me asked if “that is the next panic virus we are all going to die from.” I gave him the stink eye and he went into hysterics. If you don’t laugh...

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
Apple’s autocorrect sucks
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, TPS said:

Airports are a mess 

Agree with all of that (except the temperatures which I explained above)... smushing a thousand people in like sardines isn’t exactly maintaining any “social distance.” We were never offered hand sanitizer, masks, or gloves, although many passengers had masks (that they’d flip down whenever they felt like it :wacko: ). We had our own hand sanitizer, I declined the mask (hubby brought a bunch with him).

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

So buying while prices are low to improve US strategic reserves and stabilize prices is a bad thing now?

Usually people/ organizations do pretty well buying low and selling high....

Are you using a reverse strategy? Do tell...

Also, if Russia was in cahoots with Trump, why would they wait until a viral scare and an election year to dump oil in the market?

Hurting a high growth economy while it is down due to a 'Pandemic' doesn't seem like a neighborly thing to do to someone you are

supposedly backing.....

I'm loving this COVID-19/ Oil panic sell off. Moved a good chunk of IRA I failed to time properly 4 years ago from bonds to stock Friday.

Investing in a few bio labs approved by the FDA/CDC as we speak, maybe I'll add some oil futures too.

I was just laughing at Fox News referring to Trump as the "White Knight" and you respond with bragging about your investment strategy.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Agree with all of that (except the temperatures which I explained above)... smushing a thousand people in like sardines isn’t exactly maintaining any “social distance.” We were never offered hand sanitizer, masks, or gloves, although many passengers had masks (that they’d flip down whenever they felt like it :wacko: ). We had our own hand sanitizer, I declined the mask (hubby brought a bunch with him).

Right. Saw a video few weeks back (when things getting started). A person visited China flew back to usa. No testing or anything. But he did right thing self quarantine. Just makes me angry how unorganized airports truly are. Still look like it.

Glad you both are ok. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Note: this is not a nuclear war.  It is not a zombie apocalypse.  Basic services, particularly those pushed to your house, are very unlikely to be disrupted.  Such as water.  You will have tap water.  If your water service is disrupted, you will have warning, and you will have many other, greater problems to deal with before your water service stops.

So for God's sake, you ***** morons, you will not run out of tap water, so DO NOT KILL PEOPLE OVER BOTTLED WATER.  :wallbash:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Note: this is not a nuclear war.  It is not a zombie apocalypse.  Basic services, particularly those pushed to your house, are very unlikely to be disrupted.  Such as water.  You will have tap water.  If your water service is disrupted, you will have warning, and you will have many other, greater problems to deal with before your water service stops.

So for God's sake, you ***** morons, you will not run out of tap water, so DO NOT KILL PEOPLE OVER BOTTLED WATER.  :wallbash:

Waste of wine.  Since they cancelled March Madness this is the best we're going to get.  You could've told me that was a Black Friday video and I would've believed you.

1 hour ago, 32ABBA said:

Explain why I'm wrong...

"Grandma, Grandpa...stay home. Tell Uncle Louie that he should stay home too, cuz he has asthma, and is at risk. We will wash our hands real good, and leave groceries outside your door if you need them. We really love you, Be Safe"

If you are 25 years old, why should your life be shut down for this flu?

No international air travel. Everyone under 50 can go to work...don't visit your grand parents, or your cousin with diabetes, they are home with strict instructions to stay home.

I live in Los Angeles, I don't even KNOW anyone over 50. I'm pretty sure LOTS of people here have moved here all on their lonesome....just let the old folks stay home, and we'll all visit some time in May.

You could have it and not know it.  You could spread it to people your own age who will then transfer it to somebody more at risk of dying from it.  Just don't be a prick and stay away from crowded areas.

US airports swamped as coronavirus screening stalls returns from Europe

Thousands of travelers returning from Europe crowded terminals at several U.S. airports Saturday night in cramped, hours-long lines amid newly implemented heightened coronavirus screening.

The massive lines came hours after the Trump administration's 30-day travel ban on most of Europe took effect. The ban doesn’t apply to American citizens or permanent U.S. residents.

Travelers returning from across the Atlantic were being routed to 13 U.S. airports, including Chicago O’Hare where waits were reportedly as long as eight hours to get through screening for the virus.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-airports-swamped-as-coronavirus-screening-stalls-returns-from-europe

The video of the terrible crowding at O'Hare was beyond belief

3 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

Yeah, but if everyone who knows an older person/high risk person stays away from these people, and the high risk people stay at home...everything will work out, without shutting down the entire country. It seems to be a much simpler solution.

No, everything won't work out.  It's about getting the virus to extinguish from the population as quickly as possible and that doesn't happen if all the younger people take no precautions and continue to pass the virus between them.

This virus is still very much emergent.  The steps that have been taken are in hopes of avoiding a total shut down of the country where everyone is stuck at home 30-40 days.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

That seems odd since DeWine stated they believed at least 100,000 people in Ohio were infected with the disease and that it would double every six days. Seems like you would be seeing an influx, no?

It's not odd to me at all.  It's precisely why DeWine was proactive and closed down  public gatherings.  It's early enough with few enough people infected.

I don't know where the 100k number comes from, and it's an estimate, it doesn't sound right to me but there's all kinds of info and misinfo out there.

21 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

Doctors order tests, maybe bums don't know how society functions?

Yep, shut down a country over a virus you probably don't know you have unless a test tells you so.  Hard to overrun the healthcare system when the symptoms are so mild most people don't know they have it.  

Dear God, do you pull your head out of your rectum ever?

Edited by GaryPinC
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Means in english.

#COVID ー 19 | Taking anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, cortisone, ...) could be a factor in worsening the infection. If you have a fever, take paracetamol. If you are already on anti-inflammatory drugs or in doubt, ask your doctor for advice.

Minister of Solidarity and Health

Pretty legit guy. 

So tylenol, not advil

12 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

I didn't say everyone shouldn't be taking precautions as well. Certainly any younger people that have it should get treatment and be quarantined.

Looks to me like everyone is going to be stuck at home 30-40 days anyway.

...the infection and mortality rates are similar to the annual flu season......however, there is some "peace of mind" knowing that flu vaccine is available annually even though it is effective for certain strains only....

2 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

It's not odd to me at all.  It's precisely why DeWine was proactive and closed down  public gatherings.  It's early enough with few enough people infected.

I don't know where the 100k number comes from, and it's an estimate, it doesn't sound right to me but there's all kinds of info and misinfo out there.

It came straight from DeWine

DeWine.thumb.jpg.1f42848fa0d5fbcfc970ae527200b073.jpg

He also said they believed that numer was going to double every 6 days - which means there should be about 150,000 by now. That doesn't really reconcile with the death rates being reported or your statement that hospitals are not seeing an influx of COVID-19 patients.

If there are 150,000 + people walking around Ohio with only five "confirmed" cases and no deaths, then either they are spreading disinformation (which only serves to make people panic even more) or it's not as deadly as they are portraying. They cannot have it both ways.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

The worst case projections are if we do not get control of the outbreak.  Taking precautions and slowing the group transmission rate will lower the most dire death prediction numbers....hopefully. 

The logic behind 'flattening the curve' seems to make a lot of sense.  If we can keep the need for the most scarce resources (like breathing machines) spread out over time, we can keep more people alive.  The eventual number of infections might be the same either way but if the requirement for the ventilators doesn't exceed available machines, those that need them to live will be able to get them.

Those calling for extra caution really can never 'win'.  They are currently looked at as like Chicken Little, and so foolish.  If generally speaking, slowdown measures are not followed, worst case scenarios could play out and lots of folks perish.  If folks listen to the warnings and take slowdown measures, less people will die and the Chicken Littles will be criticized later for scaring everyone when, 'look, only x thousands died'.

Edited by Bob in Mich
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Yep. Wife and I went and stocked up on food and basic household stuff. Didn’t bother with the water. If it affects our every day it will be cause we can’t leave the house, not cause there’s no water and electricity. 

42 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It came straight from DeWine

DeWine.thumb.jpg.1f42848fa0d5fbcfc970ae527200b073.jpg

He also said they believed that numer was going to double every 6 days - which means there should be about 150,000 by now. That doesn't really reconcile with the death rates being reported or your statement that hospitals are not seeing an influx of COVID-19 patients.

If there are 150,000 + people walking around Ohio with only five "confirmed" cases and no deaths, then either they are spreading disinformation (which only serves to make people panic even more) or it's not as deadly as they are portraying. They cannot have it both ways.

I would think that 100,000 is for the entire country

7 minutes ago, ALF said:

Nope. That was just for Ohio. From News 5 in Cleveland 3 days ago:

"We know now, just the fact of community spread says that at least 1%, at the very least 1% of our population is carrying this virus in Ohio today," said Dr. Amy Acton, Director of ODH. "We have 11.7 million people."

"Whenever you know of 2 people that have it due to community spread, then you can assume that 1% of your population has it," said ODH Press Secretary Melanie Amato, citing a 2017 Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report from the CDC.

"According to the Governor Mike DeWine’s Office and the ODH, cases are expected to double every six days."

Yet, Ohio only has 5 confirmed cases and no deaths...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ALF said:

Yes, that's what he means.  It's found by extrapolating data for countries that have done significant testing and China, which has gone through it.  As I've been saying, as we ramp up testing, we will actually start seeing the extent it has reached the population here.  We've waited to long to shut things down...

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

"We know now, just the fact of community spread says that at least 1%, at the very least 1% of our population is carrying this virus in Ohio today," said Dr. Amy Acton, Director of ODH. "We have 11.7 million people."

"Whenever you know of 2 people that have it due to community spread, then you can assume that 1% of your population has it," said ODH Press Secretary Melanie Amato, citing a 2017 Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report from the CDC.

"According to the Governor Mike DeWine’s Office and the ODH, cases are expected to double every six days."

Hmmm...I'll try to find that tweet then. Thanks.

28 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yet, Ohio only has 5 confirmed cases and no deaths...

....arbitrarily state 100,000 are infected in Ohio when there 162,000 confirmed cases WORLDWIDE?........reckless, irresponsible fear mongering IMO...............

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the infection and mortality rates are similar to the annual flu season......however, there is some "peace of mind" knowing that flu vaccine is available annually even though it is effective for certain strains only....

As far as I can tell, the flu doesn’t cause overcrowding of hospitals to this extent.

10 minutes ago, meazza said:

As far as I can tell, the flu doesn’t cause overcrowding of hospitals to this extent.

..according to CDC, stats for 2017-2018 flu season in US.............

ILLNESSES:     45 million

HOSPITALIZATIONS:     810,000

DEATHS:    61,000

9 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Now we know who has all the water.  It’s DC Negan. 

9 hours ago, DC Tom said:

And yet there were also plenty of Brita and Pur filters AND containers in all the stores.  Idiots.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

...The steps that have been taken are in hopes of avoiding a total shut down of the country where everyone is stuck at home 30-40 days.

aren't we pretty much there right now?

47 minutes ago, meazza said:

We don’t freak out and panic because of the flu. This is different. We’ve been told we’re all gonna die by the media's expert reporting. 

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

Edited by Nanker

5 minutes ago, GG said:

And yet there were also plenty of Brita and Pur filters AND containers in all the stores.  Idiots.

Yup. Idiots indeed.   There was a couple of people at work talking about stocking up on water.  I said "I have these real cool things at home.  It's call a water faucet and a Brita"

I have not gone shopping yet.  We always go after the gym on Sunday.  I'm not having this thing change my routine as best I can.  I stopped at the store just out of curiosity yesterday. They were out of a few things.  Like potatoes and onions.  The thing they were out of that really hurt was bananas.  I have one every day at work for my mid-morning snack and love them.  ?

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1182389.shtml

The novel coronavirus may cause testicular damage and male infertility, Chinese experts found, suggesting infected men who want to have children or maintain the quality of their sex life take tests for ***** quality and hormone levels.

For those with a history of COVID-19 infection, especially men with fertility needs, it is best to carry out inspections after recovery, according to an expert team led by Li Yufeng, a professor from the Center for Reproductive Medicine of Tongji Medical College in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province.

As well as the lungs, many other organs of the human body, such as the testes, small intestine, kidney, heart, and thyroid are affected by the ACE2, the team said. 

Although no research has confirmed that novel coronavirus damages the testes and affects male fertility, it is highly similar to the SARS virus and these infections invade the same cell receptor, namely ACE2. The SARS virus infection can cause severe immune damage to the testes, causing orchitis and dysfunction of some reproductive-related cells.

This is awful if more research on this.

14 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

Absolutely.  My kids were super pissed about school closing, until they were told it would not cost them any time at the lake house this summer.  

aren't there a required minimum number of days?

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yup. Idiots indeed.   There was a couple of people at work talking about stocking up on water.  I said "I have these real cool things at home.  It's call a water faucet and a Brita"...

and/or you know... maybe just do things the old fashioned way and boil your friggin' water if your that worried about foreign bodies in it.. 

Edited by Foxx

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....arbitrarily state 100,000 are infected in Ohio when there 162,000 confirmed cases WORLDWIDE?........reckless, irresponsible fear mongering IMO...............

we had 60 million infected 10 years ago without this contrived panic

Coronavirus: Isolation for over-70s 'within weeks'

Every Briton over the age of 70 will be told "within the coming weeks" to stay at home for an extended period to shield them from coronavirus, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

He told the BBC the advice will not come into force just yet but when it does it will last "a very long time".

Wartime-like measures will ask car makers to produce medical equipment and turn hotels into hospitals, he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51895873

yikes