MAR 18
Mostly Sunny
96°75°
20%
NNW 6 mph 61%

Hot weather maybe questionable. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

and/or you know... maybe just do things the old fashioned way and boil your friggin' water if your that worried about foreign bodies in it.. 

I ain't boiling my water if there is a French or Italian body in it.  What are you crazy?

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..according to CDC, stats for 2017-2018 flu season in US.............

ILLNESSES:     45 million

HOSPITALIZATIONS:     810,000

DEATHS:    61,000

don’t

facts

it dampens the panic...

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I ain't boiling my water if there is a French or Italian body in it.  What are you crazy?

your right, what the hell was i thinkin'. i find this foreign body in my water, ain't no way in hell i'ma boiling it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwqW-PkErbsUxnMUByMRo

where the hell is that damn foreign Brita???

1 hour ago, TPS said:

Hmmm...I'll try to find that tweet then. Thanks.

57 minutes ago, TPS said:

Yep, something definitely off with his numbers. I read estimate from WA state #s was to multiply deaths by 800 to get # of cases, but of course there's a range. 

The numbers didn't come from DeWine. They came from Dr. Amy Acton, Director, Ohio Dept of Health. Here is a link to their press conference if you are interested. If you go to about the 38:30 mark, she talks for several minutes  about the data and how she arrived at her "guesstimates" of the timeframe for the peak of the virus, the rate the virus is spreading, the percentage of the population that will be infected, etc. This is where she "guesstimates" about 100,000 people in Ohio (1% of the population) are currently infected with the virus. Elsewhere in the press conference, she states, at the time of the conference, there are 9 "confirmed" cases, 4 requiring hospitalization, and no deaths. 

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

If that many were infected then many of us on here had it and you must have known a lot as 60 million is a good chunk of the US population.

...FWIW, my two quick observations......

1. The "flu season" is an annual occurrence that we've grown accustomed to despite the number of infected, hospitalizations and deaths. We know that annually there will be A vaccine available, but not to be construed to mean THE vaccine as in 100% preventative. There are too many strains and I'd bet many forego even the existing vaccine.

2. Coronavirus has NO vaccine (yet). Thus the "flames of panic" are being fanned. Just the same as the flu, there will eventually be A vaccine available, but not to be construed to mean THE vaccine as in 100% preventative.

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

The numbers didn't come from DeWine. They came from Dr. Amy Acton, Director, Ohio Dept of Health. Here is a link to their press conference if you are interested. If you go to about the 38:30 mark, she talks for several minutes  about the data and how she arrived at her "guesstimates" of the timeframe for the peak of the virus, the rate the virus is spreading, the percentage of the population that will be infected, etc. This is where she "guesstimates" about 100,000 people in Ohio (1% of the population) are currently infected with the virus. Elsewhere in the press conference, she states, at the time of the conference, there are 9 "confirmed" cases, 4 requiring hospitalization, and no deaths. 

...SMH...just irresponsible, reckless fear mongering....there are 162,000 confirmed cases WORLDWIDE.....

5 minutes ago, Foxx said:

your right, what the hell was i thinkin'. i find this foreign body in my water, ain't no way in hell i'ma boiling it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwqW-PkErbsUxnMUByMRo

where the hell is that damn foreign Brita???

.......multiple "vaccinations" would suit me just fine..........

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

an article from yesterday. it gives a good look at the deaths up till Friday in some detail. not to be calloused, as i do value all life but we are seeing an emerging trend line. 

Older or Unhealthy: The first 48 U.S. coronavirus deaths in detail

... Thirty-seven deaths (77% of total) are in Washington state.

Newly reported on March 13, 2020

• Two women in their 90s at Life Care Center died on March 6.
  • A woman in her 80s at Life Care Center died on March 6.
  • A man in his 70s at Overlake Medical Center died on March 4.
  • A man in his 80s at Swedish Issaquah hospital, died on March 9.
  • Woman in her 70s with underlying health conditions died on March 11.

Four Washington state deaths are from Snohomish County

• A woman in her 70s with underlying health conditions died March 11.
  • Woman in her 80s with underlying health conditions died March 10.
  • Man in his 80s with underlying health conditions, died March 9 at the Josephine Caring Community 
  • A man in his 40s with underlying health conditions died but the date has not been specified.

One Washington State death is from Grant County, a patient in his or her 80s.

Four deaths are in California:

• A woman, 90s, in assisted living.
  • A woman, 60s, hospitalized in Santa Clara.
  • An elderly man in assisted living.
  • A man, 71, with underlying health conditions who had been on a Grand Princess cruise ship.

Two deaths are in Florida:

• A man and woman, both in their 70s, died after returning from foreign travel.

One death is in New Jersey:

• A man, 69, who is diabetic and suffered two cardiac arrests, has died.

One death is in South Dakota:

• A man in his 60s with underlying medical conditions has died.

One death is in Georgia:

• A man, 67, with underlying medical conditions has died.

One death is in Kansas:

• A man in his 70s with underlying health conditions died at the Life Care Center in Kansas City.

One death in is Colorado:

• A woman in her 80s with underlying health conditions has died.
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yup. Idiots indeed.   There was a couple of people at work talking about stocking up on water.  I said "I have these real cool things at home.  It's call a water faucet and a Brita"

I have not gone shopping yet.  We always go after the gym on Sunday.  I'm not having this thing change my routine as best I can.  I stopped at the store just out of curiosity yesterday. They were out of a few things.  Like potatoes and onions.  The thing they were out of that really hurt was bananas.  I have one every day at work for my mid-morning snack and love them.  ?

40 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yup. Idiots indeed.   There was a couple of people at work talking about stocking up on water.  I said "I have these real cool things at home.  It's call a water faucet and a Brita"

I have not gone shopping yet.  We always go after the gym on Sunday.  I'm not having this thing change my routine as best I can.  I stopped at the store just out of curiosity yesterday. They were out of a few things.  Like potatoes and onions.  The thing they were out of that really hurt was bananas.  I have one every day at work for my mid-morning snack and love them.  ?

...quite different here in Rochester NY......went out shopping yesterday and it was madness.....empty shelves everywhere.....who would think to shop Home Depot or Lowes for toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer, etc?......EMPTY....Wegmans Food Markets here (Rochester based with 100+ store here in the East) cut store hours and now added canned goods, fresh meat, poultry, etc to their growing list of rationed items...never seen anything like this in my 66 years......my kids and daughter in law are devastated that we have to cancel family vacation in Aruba starting 3/22.......

.with this news, Toilet Paper futures are up 87%.............

Taco Bell prepares to go 'drive-thru and delivery only' amid coronavirus outbreak

By Michael Hollan | Fox News

Taco Bell doesn't plan to close during the coronavirus pandemic, but restaurant dining rooms may soon be off-limits.

The fast-food chain recently announced that it's taking steps to close dining areas, operating only through drive-thru and delivery options.

Mark King, CEO of Taco Bell Corp., posted a letter Saturday stating that the company has "an obligation to do something to help stop this from spreading."

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/taco-bell-drive-thru-coronavirus

• Haha (+1) 1

..here in Monroe County (Rochester), County Health Commissioner is asking bars and restaurants to consider voluntary closing...........I'd bet mandatory edict is to follow..... wouldn't surprise me to see Erie County follow suit...........

6 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

buy a bidet you fools

...what color is yours anyway?...just askin'..........

...this could be a growing trend as well........

"Starting Monday night, Hoboken NJ residents will be under curfew from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. the next day."

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..here in Monroe County (Rochester), County Health Commissioner is asking bars and restaurants to consider voluntary closing...........I'd bet mandatory edict is to follow..... wouldn't surprise me to see Erie County follow suit...........

My guess would be "rainbow".

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...this could be a growing trend as well........

"Starting Monday night, Hoboken NJ residents will be under curfew from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. the next day."

white

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

My guess would be "rainbow".

lol because they are gayyyyyyyy

25 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.with this news, Toilet Paper futures are up 87%.............

Taco Bell prepares to go 'drive-thru and delivery only' amid coronavirus outbreak

By Michael Hollan | Fox News

Taco Bell doesn't plan to close during the coronavirus pandemic, but restaurant dining rooms may soon be off-limits.

The fast-food chain recently announced that it's taking steps to close dining areas, operating only through drive-thru and delivery options.

Mark King, CEO of Taco Bell Corp., posted a letter Saturday stating that the company has "an obligation to do something to help stop this from spreading."

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/taco-bell-drive-thru-coronavirus

I wonder how many fast food joints will continue that business model even after the COVID hype subsides

5 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I wonder how many fast food joints will continue that business model even after the COVID hype subsides

the tipping point will be reached by the end of the month if there isn’t the disaster being screamed at us by the media

Edited by row_33

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

...interesting question but I'll have to guess because I don't frequent them (all I ever got was heartburn)....I'd say none......I'd bet a certain segment of their customer base that they depend on is the "impulse buyer".....with nine cars behind you in the drive-thru, you may rush through your order whereas going inside, there isn't much pressure and you may buy (hopefully) other menu items that were unintended but "sounded good".....just a hunch though........

KUALA LUMPUR • Malaysia's health authorities said 77 cases of the coronavirus in the country were from attendees of a recent mass gathering of the Tabligh missionary group at a mosque in Kuala Lumpur.

The 77 cases confirmed by tests are spread over 12 of the 13 Malaysian states, and the Federal Territories of Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya, and in Labuan, a statement from the country's Health Ministry said yesterday.

Malaysia's confirmed cases totalled 238 yesterday, including 41 new cases. The 41 cases - the biggest single-day jump in Malaysia - included 37 from the mosque cluster

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysia-confirms-77-cases-from-mosque-event-in-kl

https://www.accuweather.com/en/my/kuala-lumpur/233776/weather-forecast/233776

High temp Sunday and Monday of 97 degrees,  that's bad news

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

He walked it back a bit this morning on cnn. She definitely gave him wrong info. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ALF said:

KUALA LUMPUR • Malaysia's health authorities said 77 cases of the coronavirus in the country were from attendees of a recent mass gathering of the Tabligh missionary group at a mosque in Kuala Lumpur.

The 77 cases confirmed by tests are spread over 12 of the 13 Malaysian states, and the Federal Territories of Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya, and in Labuan, a statement from the country's Health Ministry said yesterday.

Malaysia's confirmed cases totalled 238 yesterday, including 41 new cases. The 41 cases - the biggest single-day jump in Malaysia - included 37 from the mosque cluster

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysia-confirms-77-cases-from-mosque-event-in-kl

https://www.accuweather.com/en/my/kuala-lumpur/233776/weather-forecast/233776

High temp Sunday and Monday of 97 degrees,  that's bad news

Why?

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Why?

Because the expectation was that when the weather warmed up getting towards summer, the instances of the virus would decrease.

Of course, still being in the early stages of this histrionic nonsense, who knows if it means anything that it's 97 degrees in SE Asia.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

Because the expectation was that when the weather warmed up getting towards summer, the instances of the virus would decrease.

Of course, still being in the early stages of this histrionic nonsense, who knows if it means anything that it's 97 degrees in SE Asia.

Speculation has been that the warmer it gets the better it is for fighting the virus. Alf indicated the opposite, thus my question. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crayola64 said:

buy a bidet you fools

That’s pretty wimpy. Go commando and use a garden hose outside. So what if the neighbors talk. We’re talking health CRISIS here and an unprecedented shortage of a strategic survival item, i.e. T P for your bunghole. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Opinion: Be Ready, Diagnosed Cases of Wuhan Virus Likely to Skyrocket Next Week, but That’s Not All Bad

b8972491-827c-4cdc-870e-6aa9dcd815a0.jpg

Right now, the numbers are still relatively low for those who have been diagnosed with the Wuhan virus.

But get ready for it now, because when many more tests are readily available next week, the numbers are likely to skyrocket.

There are few things that are important to take in because while that’s not great, there actually are some good things in that rising number.

First, there have likely been thousands who had early exposure in places like Washington state that we didn’t know about because China lied for the first couple of months and people from Wuhan were still traveling abroad. Many likely had it/or have it but since most people who get it, have it only mildly, many may not even be aware they have it.

Right now, as my colleague Elizabeth Vaughn reported, we have about 48 dead going into Saturday, and most of those were from Washington state with half being from Life Care Center nursing facility in Kirkland, Washington. That’s good, because as far as we know, that’s not a lot of deaths so far with likely thousands of cases floating out there probably undiagnosed.

Death is the one relatively firm data point we have for the virus since those in bad condition would likely have made it to the hospital. Yet we still have a very low number there, being in the 40s.

What does that mean? That means that while the number of people who have been diagnosed with it will jump, the deaths haven’t jumped yet. That means that the actual morbidity rate which people have estimated as somewhere between 1-2% based on what we know now, may likely drop below 1%.

The WHO rate of 3.4% that some have remarked on is was based on China whose numbers are uncertain and not reliable. As Dr. Drew Pinsky noted it also had a qualifier “as more testing/diagnosing evolves,” it’s likely to go down. Plus you can’t do an apples to oranges comparison of China to the United States, especially since China lied for two months and allowed the spread.

While no death is good, that’s a much better number than the worst-case scenarios being pushed by folks like a former Obama official, Andy Slavitt.

Dr. Jeremy Faust, an emergency medicine doctor at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, explained.

From ABC:

“What I was able to find by looking at a few other data sources, rather than just the big flashy numbers, was that there’s actually a lot of reason to be reassured that the numbers are a lot lower,” said Faust.

Because only the sickest people are showing up at hospitals, this group is likely over-represented among the full population of people who have COVID-19, according to Faust. Most COVID-19 cases are mild, and many individuals will never even see a health care provider to be tested.

More at the link: https://www.redstate.com/nick-arama/2020/03/15/opinion-be-ready-diagnosed-cases-of-wuhan-virus-likely-to-skyrocket-next-week-but-thats-not-all-bad/

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Nanker said:

That’s pretty wimpy. Go commando and use a garden hose outside. So what if the neighbors talk. We’re talking health CRISIS here and an unprecedented shortage of a strategic survival item, i.e. T P for your bunghole. 

....seriously?...would you expect anything LESS?.....he's generally 62 short of a full box anyway.............

Coronovirus Task Force shows why America doesn’t need a permanent “Pandemic Office”

The ready-when-needed “Pandemic Office,” headed by Vice President Pence, is clearly effective and avoids needless bureaucracy and layers of regulation.

During President Donald Trump’s announcement of his emergency declaration for response to the Wuhan Coronavirus, there was a question from one reporter that earned the derision and anger toward the press and its attitude.

(more…)

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

It's not odd to me at all.  It's precisely why DeWine was proactive and closed down  public gatherings.  It's early enough with few enough people infected.

I don't know where the 100k number comes from, and it's an estimate, it doesn't sound right to me but there's all kinds of info and misinfo out there.

Dear God, do you pull your head out of your rectum ever?

You have another take?  Is it backed by anything other than panic?