The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

wow! that is pretty far out there. i guess no Summer vacation this year if they do reopen.

Coronavirus: Gov. Jay Inslee expands school closure order to all K-12 schools statewide

SEATTLE — Gov. Jay Inslee on Friday announced the expansion of the school closure order to all K-12 schools, both public and private, statewide. The school closure order originally affected only schools in King, Pierce and Snohomish counties.

Inslee said schools must close by the end of Monday and will remain closed through at least April 24. The earliest possible date students could return to class would be April 27, Inslee said.

The closures will affect more than 1.2 million students. ...

he also banned gatherings of more than 250 people state wide.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Foxx said:

wow! that is pretty far out there. i guess no Summer vacation this year if they do reopen.

Coronavirus: Gov. Jay Inslee expands school closure order to all K-12 schools statewide

SEATTLE — Gov. Jay Inslee on Friday announced the expansion of the school closure order to all K-12 schools, both public and private, statewide. The school closure order originally affected only schools in King, Pierce and Snohomish counties.

Inslee said schools must close by the end of Monday and will remain closed through at least April 24. The earliest possible date students could return to class would be April 27, Inslee said.

The closures will affect more than 1.2 million students. ...

he also banned gatherings of more than 250 people state wide.

Well thank god the dimwits on the left will have something to blame on Trump for all 

next weeks news cycle

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Foxx said:

add to Washington:

W.Virginia

Virginia

Ohio

Maryland

New Mexico

Oregon

Michigan

District of Columbia

the list of statewide school closures.

Seven states, D.C. order all schools closed in effort to prevent spread of covid-19

Significant ones in CA also. All over the Bay Area (my kid’s is closed until Apr 10th at a minimum). I think a bunch in the LA area as well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

add to Washington:

W.Virginia

Virginia

Ohio

Maryland

New Mexico

Oregon

Michigan

District of Columbia

Seven states, D.C. order all schools closed in effort to prevent spread of covid-19

It’s not statewide in South Carolina yet, but today governor McMaster ordered 2 counties to close schools, including the one I work for. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

add to Washington:

W.Virginia

Virginia

Ohio

Maryland

New Mexico

Oregon

Michigan

District of Columbia

Now all those parents are going to have to find babysitters.  I know it's hope for the best and prepare for the worst yet this whole thing seems to be a bit of an overreaction. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hedge said:

Significant ones in CA also. All over the Bay Area (my kid’s is closed until Apr 10th at a minimum). I think a bunch in the LA area as well.

This morning the Los Angeles County Office of Education recommended to all school districts within the county to close all schools until at least March 27th.

Most likely all 80 school districts in the county will comply.  I know that ours has already made the announcement, and expect the surrounding districts to make the announcement soon. 

About the only things still open are the county libraries, and who knows for how much longer that'll be true.

• Thank you (+1) 1

(after the FISA vote, I believe)

--------------------------------------------------

I've seen rumblings that this has actually been the unofficial policy for the last ~week anyway.

Edited by Hedge
  • Like (+1) 2

Statement by the Department of Defense on Domestic Travel Restrictions

Today, the Deputy Secretary of Defense David L. Norquist approved new travel restrictions for service members, DoD civilians, and their families assigned to DoD installations, facilities and surrounding areas within the United States and its territories. This restriction will halt all domestic travel, including Permanent Change of Station, and Temporary Duty. This restriction will also pause civilian hiring at DoD installations and components for persons who do not reside within the hiring entity's local commuting area. 

Additionally, service members will be authorized local leave only, following Service guidelines. This new guidance is effective March 16 and continues through May 11.

Similar to other travel guidance regarding COVID-19, travel exceptions may be granted for compelling cases where the travel is mission-essential, for humanitarian reasons, or warranted due to extreme hardship.  Approval authority for these exceptions belongs to the Combatant Commander, the Service Secretaries, the Chief Management Officer, or the Director of the Joint Staff, but may be delegated.

The Department will continue to issue additional guidance with regard to the COVID-19 as conditions warrant.  Our goal is to remain ahead of the virus spread so our military force remains effective and ready.  

For more information on the CDC travel restrictions,

visit https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/.

We encourage all DOD personnel to

visit https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Spotlight/Coronavirus/for information on staying healthy during the outbreak.  The Department will issue follow-on guidance on this directive prior to implementation.

• Like (+1) 1

Last weekend Russia and MBS actions threatened to tank the US shale oil producers amid this Coronavirus crisis. It still could have a serious impact if oil prices stay under $35/barrel for very long. 

Wonder if that was just an isolated situation or if we start seeing other seemingly unrelated actions that hurt the US economy. 

• Like (+1) 1

(Buffalo, NY) - In light of the serious health risks to vulnerable populations posed by the novel coronavirus, and to prevent widespread infection, Bishop Edward B. Scharfenberger temporarily dispenses the Catholic faithful from the obligation to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days during the coronavirus threat.

Until further notice, Catholics of the Diocese of Buffalo should use their prudent judgment as to whether or not to attend Mass. Older adults, people with underlying medical conditions, and family members of such individuals should take special care in discerning the best course of action to avoid exposure to large groups of people. At this time, Mass will continue to be offered publicly as announced or scheduled, contingent on emergency governmental restrictions regarding larger gatherings.

All other parish events and larger celebrations, including Confirmations and Lenten penance services, must be postponed until the end of March out of an abundance of caution. Further guidance will be provided regarding April and May as developments become clear.

https://www.wnycatholic.org/news/article/featured/2020/03/13/103900/bishop-scharfenberger-dispenses-catholics-from-sunday-and-holy-day-mass-obligation-due-to-coronavirus-threat

25 minutes ago, dubs said:

Last weekend Russia and MBS actions threatened to tank the US shale oil producers amid this Coronavirus crisis. It still could have a serious impact if oil prices stay under $35/barrel for very long. 

Wonder if that was just an isolated situation or if we start seeing other seemingly unrelated actions that hurt the US economy. 

Putin and Xi are not our buddies, neither are many of the Saudis. They all would love to see Trump out of office so they can do business as usual with Joe and his handlers. At a minimum, Joe would outlaw fracking as weaken our military. Xi’s buddies haven’t gotten much in return yet from their $1Billion investment in Hunter Biden. 

Joe wants to put us all back in chains of energy dependence, being a Second rate world power, Leading from behind, and good old Carter era malaise and misery. He is a useful idiot for powerful interests not all of whom reside inside our borders. Make America Weak Again. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Now all those parents are going to have to find babysitters.  I know it's hope for the best and prepare for the worst yet this whole thing seems to be a bit of an overreaction. 

To the shortsighted.  Those who try and compare it to the flu and ignore how quickly it can overwhelm health systems in other countries and the only effective way to stop it has been total lockdown.

Here, the smart states like my Ohio will try partial lockdown in hopes of avoiding a full lockdown to flatten the infection curve.  Proud of DeWine for leading the way on this.  Not sure it's enough but it's early in the infection curve, so it will hopefully work.

My ER docs haven't seen an influx of Covid patients, so that's really good considering most times (H1N1, etc) they're treating for a couple weeks before it makes the papers.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

To the shortsighted.  Those who try and compare it to the flu and ignore how quickly it can overwhelm health systems in other countries and the only effective way to stop it has been total lockdown.

Here, the smart states like my Ohio will try partial lockdown in hopes of avoiding a full lockdown to flatten the infection curve.  Proud of DeWine for leading the way on this.  Not sure it's enough but it's early in the infection curve, so it will hopefully work.

My ER docs haven't seen an influx of Covid patients, so that's really good considering most times (H1N1, etc) they're treating for a couple weeks before it makes the papers.

That seems odd since DeWine stated they believed at least 100,000 people in Ohio were infected with the disease and that it would double every six days. Seems like you would be seeing an influx, no?

Trumps press conference was unbelievable. He won’t get tested, or he might, even though he should. They were all gathered there close together, all breathing into the same ? shaking hands and making up more lies. 

Trump is unfit 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trumps press conference was unbelievable. He won’t get tested, or he might, even though he should. They were all gathered there close together, all breathing into the same ? shaking hands and making up more lies. 

Trump is unfit 

Doctors order tests, maybe bums don't know how society functions?

58 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Yep, shut down a country over a virus you probably don't know you have unless a test tells you so.  Hard to overrun the healthcare system when the symptoms are so mild most people don't know they have it.  

30 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trump is unfit 

Justin Trudeau’s wife has the virus and yet he hasn’t been tested. He’s following doctors orders.

Is he unfit ?

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trump is unfit 

And the torrent of hysteria from the left just keeps on flowing...

13 minutes ago, meazza said:

Justin Trudeau’s wife has the virus and yet he hasn’t been tested. He’s following doctors orders.

Is he unfit ?

Well, the answer to that question would be yes; however, it has nothing to do with being tested...:lol:

26 minutes ago, meazza said:

Is he unfit ?

Sounds like bad leadership to me. Wouldn’t you say? 

14 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

And the torrent of hysteria from the left just keeps on flowing...

Well, the answer to that question would be yes; however, it has nothing to do with being tested...:lol:

Is the national emergency hysteria? Funny how you want it both ways...

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Is the national emergency hysteria? Funny how you want it both ways...

The National Emergency is a natural by product of how things have progressed. It doesn't equal hysteria.

However, none of that had to do with your original post that I responded to. Your rambling on and on about Trump being unfit because he hasn't been tested is what I was referring to. Of course, you know that.

In typical fashion, when you have nothing substantive to say or cannot intellectually defend yourself, you divert the topic...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Trump is unfit 

Maybe he stuttered?

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Biden was speaking the other day and I swear I thought he was singing “My Sharona” by The Knack. It gets confusing at times.

"Muh muh muh, my Corona!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dubs said:

That is one sector of the economy. Don't ignore the positive effects of lower prices on the consumers of petroleum products, which is much larger.

7 minutes ago, TPS said:

That is one sector of the economy. Don't ignore the positive effects of lower prices on the consumers of petroleum products, which is much larger.

Trump emerges as oil's white knight after worst week since 2008

Crude prices have fallen to record lows

The battered U.S. oil market may have just received a lifeline from President Trump after crude prices posted the worst week since 2008 hugging the $31 per barrel level, down 48 percent so far this year.

Trump, as part of his national emergency declaration to combat the fallout from the coronavirus, greenlighted the Department of Energy to step into the market as a buyer.

“Based on the price of oil I have also instructed the Secretary of Energy to purchase, at a very good price, for large quantities of crude oil for storage in the U.S. Strategic Reserve, we are going to fill it right up to the top, saving the American taxpayer billions and billions of dollars and helping our oil industry,” Trump stated on Friday.

The move, according to Phil Flynn of The PRICE Futures Group, should boost oil prices from historic lows.

“This could send prices back into the $40s if the buyers are there,” said Flynn, who is also a FOX Business contributor, when reached for his reaction. “They [the U.S.] can buy oil at the lowest price in years,” he added.

The Strategic Petroleum Reserve is the world’s largest supply of emergency crude oil, as described by the DOE, and was established as a backup facility to protect the U.S. in the event of market disruptions or potential shortages.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/oil-market-gets-white-knight-after-worst-week-since-2008

• Like (+1) 1

The Wuhan Virus Escaped from a Chinese Lab

by Daniel John Sobieski

Original Article

First of all, Wuhan is a place and not a race, and to identify the coronavirus by its place of origin, like naming the Ebola Virus for a river in Zaire, is not racist or xenophobic — it's merely accurate. 

What calling this latest virus the Wuhan Virus is is a reminder of the multiple contagions China has spawned and released on an unsuspecting world.

House easily passes sweeping coronavirus aid package

by Vincent Barone

Original Article

• Thank you (+1) 1