If you could swap QBs with any team right now

Max Fischer

12 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

WIlson is a baller. I didn't pop him up just based off age. I look at Mahomes as if he played with us now under the same conditions.  I honestly don't believe he'd be playing better than Allen is here now. I also, think Allen has a higher ceiling overall. 

Houston is a an odd team no doubt. I hope the bad Texans show up when we (most likely) play them in the WC playoffs game in a couple weeks. 

I don't want to see the Texans team that beat the Chiefs and Pats this year. 

Either way I still take Watson all day. If the Texans actually give this dude a a good oline sky is the limit for him. He's been sacked 106 times in 2 years there. 

Wilson has years to go.  He's played a career behind trash O-lines.  Had over 90 sacks past 2 seasons bu has 63 TDs passing (and counting) vs 12 ints. 

Mahomes is more productive than Watson.  Why not in Buffalo?

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

Mahomes, Watson, Wilson and Aaron Rodgers 

Rodgers may only have a couple great years left but I just NEED one SB title.  I believe Rodgers on this team is the best team in football and we’d get that one

Maybe Jimmy G (the kid gets it done).  

Edit: add Drew Brees to that list!  He’d win us a SB in the next couple seasons

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Mahomes, Watson, Wilson and Aaron Rodgers.  

Rodgers may only have a couple great years left but I just NEED one SB title.  I believe Rodgers on this team is the best team in football and we’d get that one

Maybe Jimmy G (the kid gets it done).  

If you need a SB,  Rodgers isn't your man.  Take Brees for right now.  Easy...

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you need a SB,  Rodgers isn't your man.  Take Brees for right now.  Easy...

I think we’d get one with both.  I still think Rodgers has enough to win Super Bowls with a dominant D.  I should’ve added Brees to the list.  

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think we’d get one with both.  I still think Rodgers has enough to win Super Bowls with a dominant D.  I should’ve added Brees to the list.  

Brees is still dominating.  Rodgers isn't.  Plus, Rodgers is definitely not a "process guy", he's an Aaron Rodgers guy.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m sticking with Josh. He we be an elite QB in the NFL very soon. And I believe we are going to surprise people in the playoffs and make a run. 

These are my top QBs:

1. Josh Allen

2. DeShawn Watson 

3. Lamar Jackson

4. Patrick Mahomes

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Brees is still dominating.  Rodgers isn't.  Plus, Rodgers is definitely not a "process guy", he's an Aaron Rodgers guy.

Yeah.....I’d take Brees too.

I still think Rodgers would win a SB with us.  You don’t.  Cool. 

• Like (+1) 1

So you have your choice of any QB to start a franchise with--that are currently in the NFL for the next 10 years.

My list:

1. Mahomes

2. Watson 

3. Allen

4. Jackson

5. Wilson (I'll get a solid 5-7)

6. Darnold 

7. D. Jones

8. Baker

9. Murray

10. Goff

An even 10. 

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

Steelers for sure.

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

So you have your choice of any QB to start a franchise with--that are currently in the NFL for the next 10 years.

My list:

Mahomes

Watson 

Allen

Jackson

Wilson (I'll get a solid 5-7)

Darnold 

D. Jones

Baker

Murray

i thought this was your list of players you'd swap allen for, and that was about to be someeeeee junk. ?

Edited by whatdrought

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Personally, I'd rather swap WRs.

Michael Thomas for Isaiah McKenzie....

I think you are on the right path with this line of thinking.

Another way of thinking about the OP question is to flip it inside out and ask; "How would Josh Allen look in other offenses and player personnel packages?" "How would Mahomes, Jackson, Watson or Wilson look in Buffalo?"

How does Josh Allen look in KC with Reid, Tyreek Hill, Mecole Hardman, Zeus etc? How does he look in Seattle, or Houston with their weapons?

What if he was in Baltimore? I think the only QBs who could succeed in that scheme are Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen and maybe Watson or Wilson.

This team is a lot like the 1987 and 1988 Buffalo Bills. Those teams were defense first, a young QB with a big arm and adding in the players needed for a run.

The 86-89 off seasons were huge for the Bills. The roster isn't quite ready to challenge the best teams, and this team is learning to win games. Much like 87 and 88.

This team needs a better edge rusher, and impact LB, a #1 RB, a WR 1, a pulling guard and a better option at OT.

They are a good offseason or two from competing with the big boys of the league, but it is trending in the right direction. Continue to reinforce the OL and offensive weapons. A better option at RT helps, a pulling guard helps. John Brown and Devin Singletary would be ideal WR#2 and RB#2 options for a championship calibre team.

A real pass rusher at DE and an impact LB (think TJ Watt, Bud Dupree, Darius Leonard) would help too.

I need to see a more complete roster before I can really answer this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Steelers for sure.

i thought this was your list of players you'd swap allen for, and that was about to be someeeeee junk. ?

Nah I just think this is a good question......rank the QBs in the NFL right now you'd like to have for the next 10 years.  

That's my top 10 and 6-10 is all just pretty much even.  

• Like (+1) 1

None. I don’t want to switch qbs with any team. Allen is developing and he has the ability and mental makeup to be special for a long time. I don’t know what his ceiling can be and he has embraced the city and organization. I’m willing to ride or die with Allen.

I think people forget that it sometimes takes times for a qb to fully develop and reach their max potential. It took several years before Big Ben, Brady and Brees became Hall of Fame quarterbacks. And others that have started out fast such as RGIII and maybe Mayfield have sometimes regressed. 

The Bills don’t have a qb problem. What we could use is a big #1 wr and a more dynamic 1a/1b rb. Put some weapons around Allen and he will take another jump as he did from his first year. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I think a helpful way to evaluate Josh Allen, his progress to date and his potential for the next few years is to determine which QBs you would swap for right now. 

My list:

1. Mahomes

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Russell Wilson

That's probably it.  Yes, Brady, Brees and Rodgers are great but they are 42, 40 and 36.  With Josh, I believe the Bills are in a pretty good spot at QB. He "might" not get any better but over the past two season there is a lot of evidence he will continue to improve. No idea if he will lead the Bills to a Super Bowl over the next three years but I like our chances with Josh than any other QB but the three above. 

Mahomes 

Watson - ask me the same thing next year and he may not be on the list. 

that would be it. 

A different QB won't really make a big difference. The Bills need another playmaking receiver whether it's a TE or receiver and a RB. Singletary can be an awesome Darren Sproles/Brian Westbrook type RB, but this team needs a Thurman Thomas/Fred Jackson type runner. My wish in FA is AJ Green at WR and Austin Hooper at TE. Draft Jonathan Taylor at RB

You also need to take into account the financial ramifications... We can get better receivers etc with a lower QB cap ....

One name that hasn’t been mentioned and could probably be available ... send Josh and a third round pick to San Diego for Tyrod Taylor ... undue that mistake and make many TBD posters happy because he is clearly a Super Bowl QB though Cleveland and SanDiego were too blind to see it ;)

Edited by CorkScrewHill

3 hours ago, Putin said:

I take Watson before Lamar , 

that’s fair. I disagree but it can go both ways. 

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s insane 

That’s even more insane

And yet more insane.

The homers are really out in this thread. 

Yet you don’t make your case. Step up dude. 

6 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

At this point in time, Watson has to be on that list- he has shown the ability to completely take over and dominate a game against good defenses.

Like today in the Cowgirls biggest game of the year ;)

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I would swap Lamar with Watson.  Unless everything Lamar has is coming with him, I don't see him doing so well here.  There are other guys I would take in their prime but not now at the end of their careers.  Otherwise, there aren't really any QBs I can think of that I would trade Allen for right now.

The Lamar / Watson debate seems to be a coin flip.  Personally I think Lamar has staying power and Watson is much more hit/miss. But that may because I was a big Lamar booster during the draft. 

Having said that, I still think Allen has the tools to have the more productive career. 

1 minute ago, Max Fischer said:

Yet you don’t make your case. Step up dude. 

Two of the posts I responded to were just short lists and the other only talked about why other QBs weren’t on his list.  Not exactly exhaustive arguments.  They got an equivalent response.  I’ll leave it at this: There are a lot of good, young (or at least not old) QBs in this league who have outperformed Allen.  An unbiased look at the QB options would yield a much longer list than between 0 and 3 names.  I hope Allen keeps getting better, but there’s no guarantee that he will and he’s not the only QB who can do that.  If we’re looking at performance to date then there are a lot of better options. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I think a helpful way to evaluate Josh Allen, his progress to date and his potential for the next few years is to determine which QBs you would swap for right now. 

My list:

1. Mahomes

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Russell Wilson

That's probably it.  Yes, Brady, Brees and Rodgers are great but they are 42, 40 and 36.  With Josh, I believe the Bills are in a pretty good spot at QB. He "might" not get any better but over the past two season there is a lot of evidence he will continue to improve. No idea if he will lead the Bills to a Super Bowl over the next three years but I like our chances with Josh than any other QB but the three above. 

Watson.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Two of the posts I responded to were just short lists and the other only talked about why other QBs weren’t on his list.  Not exactly exhaustive arguments.  They got an equivalent response.  I’ll leave it at this: There are a lot of good, young (or at least not old) QBs in this league who have outperformed Allen.  An unbiased look at the QB options would yield a much longer list than between 0 and 3 names.  I hope Allen keeps getting better, but there’s no guarantee that he will and he’s not the only QB who can do that.  If we’re looking at performance to date then there are a lot of better options. 

Ok, so what are the "better options?"  You say there are "a lot" but  I still don't see your counter argument.  

5 hours ago, racketmaster said:

None. I don’t want to switch qbs with any team. Allen is developing and he has the ability and mental makeup to be special for a long time. I don’t know what his ceiling can be and he has embraced the city and organization. I’m willing to ride or die with Allen.

I think people forget that it sometimes takes times for a qb to fully develop and reach their max potential. It took several years before Big Ben, Brady and Brees became Hall of Fame quarterbacks. And others that have started out fast such as RGIII and maybe Mayfield have sometimes regressed. 

The Bills don’t have a qb problem. What we could use is a big #1 wr and a more dynamic 1a/1b rb. Put some weapons around Allen and he will take another jump as he did from his first year. 

We really need to leave Brady out of those comparisons....won the SB in his 2nd year on the roster, 1st year starting....and also won 2 more out of the next 3.......

I believe this concept is highly dependent on the surrounding roster.  You can't base it, in my opinion, on the QB's performance with the current team but really have to project how the QB would perform with Daboll's scheme and with the Bills offensive personnel.  Even the most skilled QB needs an offense that is built somewhat for him.  I think the Bills "O" roster is pretty inferior to the Chiefs and slightly inferior to the Ravens.  This closes the gap with Mahomes and Jackson for Josh.  All my way of saying, I would stick with Josh and make the roster improvements the Bills are going to make on O this offseason. 

I think I just gave a Pete Buttigieg double talk answer....?

Edited by JoeF

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Can we swap Jason Croom for George Kittle too?

While we're poaching, or I mean swapping, players with the 49ers, can we swap Pat DiMarco for Kyle Juszczyk.  I'd gladly give up any potential special teams play that DiMarco may provide for Kyle's offensive production.