Cole Beasley, Bills offense doesn't have problem with play-calling

TwistofFate

For all those clamouring about offensive play calling, the players seem to think completely differently. For a few weeks, it’s been tough sledding for Buffalo offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. The Western New York native that’s in charge of the Bills’ offensive scheming hasn’t been in the good graces of the fan base.

Much of that centers around quarterback runs by Josh Allen. Some passing plays and usage of rookie running back Devin Singletry can also be tossed in there.

But the Bills aren’t complaining internally. Wide receiver Cole Beasley specifically didn’t place any blame on Daboll.

“It has nothing to do with play-calling or anything like that. It’s the Willies and the Joes, man, you know what I mean? Not the Xs and Os. We’ve just got to get it right,” Beasley told reporters following the game.

Center Mitch Morse also echoed that with the Buffalo News.

“I ride with our coaches. For me, whatever play call they call, you run it,” Morse said.

But prior to the game last Monday on Oct. 21, Daboll did defend some of his strategies, specifically his designed running packages with quarterback Josh Allen.

“Some of those runs (vs. Miami) that were designed really helped us situationally, third and short, one early down it got us some, and then the two-point conversion. I don’t think you live in that world too much, but we have a guy that can do those things. He gives you extra blockers and things like that. You just have to be judicious with it, and Josh does too, in terms of minimizing our hit,” Daboll said.

The biggest issue with Allen rushing the ball has been ball security. As a rookie, he fumbled the ball eight times in that entire season. He’s already at eight this year, including three multi-fumble games. The No. 1 way the second-year QB has to improve is ball security.

Allen’s also had seven interception, too. Surpassing 300 yards passing would be nice as well.

While not specifically asked about the play-calling following the loss, Allen did take the brunt of plenty of blame plenty of times.

“A performance like this won’t cut it. We didn’t play to our standard. Obviously, we played a pretty good team today and we know that, they know that, but at the same time, we still have to play up to how we know we can play,” Allen said.

“I have be better with taking care of the football,” he added.

billswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/28/cole-beasley-buffalo-bills-offense-doesnt-problem

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
Fixed font size and hyperlink to article
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's what high character players WOULD say to the media. They aren't going to go on there and trash their coach.

Its the willys and the joes, not the Xs and Os. 

Clear as day, and it starts with our turnover, fumblitis Qb who cant break a 300 yard game against the worst secondaries in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t believe any of this unless the team is in total chaos.  Players take up for their teammates and coaches while they are still together.  

If either left the team, I think you might hear different things 

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2

Allen cuts down on the INT's and now it's the fumbles. It's not the playcalling, it's the people running the plays despite the fact that Stevie Wonder can see Daboll doesn't understand situational football and is calling the same dumb :censored: week in and week out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

For all those clamouring about offensive play calling, the players seem to think completely differently. 

For a few weeks, it’s been tough sledding for Buffalo offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. The Western New York native that’s in charge of the Bills’ offensive scheming hasn’t been in the good graces of the fan base. Much of that centers around quarterback runs by Josh Allen. Some passing plays and usage of rookie running back Devin Singletry can also be tossed in there.

But the Bills aren’t complaining internally. Wide receiver Cole Beasley specifically didn’t place any blame on Daboll.

“It has nothing to do with play-calling or anything like that. It’s the Willies and the Joes, man, you know what I mean? Not the Xs and Os. We’ve just got to get it right,” Beasley told reporters following the game.

Center Mitch Morse also echoed that with the Buffalo News.

“I ride with our coaches. For me, whatever play call they call, you run it,” Morse said.

I mean, these are good team guys, do you really expect them to throw their OC or position coaches under the bus publically, in front of the media?

That's weak sauce.  Weak sauce players and selfish players roll that way. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

Clear as day, and it starts with our turnover, fumblitis Qb who cant break a 300 yard game against the worst secondaries in the league. 

The Willies and the Joes got manhandled on both lines yesterday, and they know it. There was sloppy execution all the way around and most of it had little to do with Josh Allen. He’s got to be better with ball security, as his habits when carrying it have been broken down endlessly and teams are making an emphasis to take it away. While the players may not state it openly, some decisions by the staff ( Daboll in particular ) have been suspect to say the least. For example, Im not sure why Daboll wants his QB running a sweep backed up in their own territory when teams are trying to strip him of the football. Maybe you’d like the RB getting a carry there. 

I just don't get why Gore got few Carries when he was getting positive yardage.  I'll give Allen and Singletary the benefit of the doubt on ball security yesterday.   With the rain and winds wasn't sure about the high  volume passing game plan.  I was surprised they went for it on 4th and 10 at the 30 yard line though.  Hauschka barely missed from 53.

2 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

I just don't get why Gore got few Carries when he was getting positive yardage.  I'll give Allen and Singletary the benefit of the doubt on ball security yesterday.   With the rain and winds wasn't sure about the high  volume passing game plan.  I was surprised they went for it on 4th and 10 at the 30 yard line though.  Hauschka barely missed from 53.

Our run game being focused around Gore is one of our biggest problems. He’s got a spot on this team but it is not as lead RB. 

23 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Our run game being focused around Gore is one of our biggest problems. He’s got a spot on this team but it is not as lead RB. 

I really feel like they are seriously limiting Gore's carries because of his age.  That's fine but you can't abandon the run because Gore is old.  Get Singletary going - he has shown he can make plays when needed.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

I really feel like they are seriously limiting Gore's carries because of his age.  That's fine but you can't abandon the run because Gore is old.  Get Singletary going - he has shown he can make plays when needed.

Gore just ain’t a threat. He’s a hard down hill runner but teams aren’t worried about him breaking through the line. If we pound him he’s still gonna have his carries for no gain that will back us up at some point. He had 3 carries for no gain in the first half yesterday on 7 carries.  He’ll get lot of small yards but  he’s not gonna get many big runs. He’s had close to 100 carries and has 3 carries over 20 yards, Singletary has 3 over 20 yards and he’s had about 1/5 the amount of carries.... So who is the bigger threat to an opposing defence?  It seems as the game goes on and we need more plays they take Gore out anyway. If he’s not the guy you want on the field when when you need to score, he shouldn’t be the guy on the field to start the game... JMO

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Allen cuts down on the INT's and now it's the fumbles.

Yep the never ending changing of the goal posts with Allen.  On the fumbles:

*  The first was when a DE fly's by our tackle as if he wasn't there and swats the ball out of Allen's hand.  Allen makes a great play to recover it. 

*  The designed sweep was playing Allen as a RB which he isn't.  When we surprised teams with that play early in the season he rumbled for 10 yards or a TD and never really got hit.  On that play it was obvious the Eagles expected it and their whole D was flying to the ball.  There were all sorts of body's in there and the Allen fumble shouldn't be that surprising under the circumstances.

*  The last one was when he got WHACKED from behind trying to throw deep down by 18 in the 4th quarter.

*  People seem to forget that Wendtz also fumbled after being sacked but was fortunate that the ball bounced right back up to him.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, these are good team guys, do you really expect them to throw their OC or position coaches under the bus publically, in front of the media?

That's weak sauce.  Weak sauce players and selfish players roll that way. 

Weak sauce roll.  

Is that worse than a California roll?

So Beasley is not willing to throw his OC under the bus but is willing to throw unnamed players aka "willies & joes" under the bus?

Remember that its often not possible to judge play calling from the play actually run.  The OC will likely call 2-3 plays depending on what the OC's call sheet says is likely the kind of defense the other team will call for that yard marker, down & distance.  The QB will set the play (in the huddle or by audible) according to what he sees before the hike.

28 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

So Beasley is not willing to throw his OC under the bus but is willing to throw unnamed players aka "willies & joes" under the bus?

Remember that its often not possible to judge play calling from the play actually run.  The OC will likely call 2-3 plays depending on what the OC's call sheet says is likely the kind of defense the other team will call for that yard marker, down & distance.  The QB will set the play (in the huddle or by audible) according to what he sees before the hike.

I'm pretty sure he's saying its lack of execution, which it is.  That falls on the actual players, as a group.  The willies and the joes. 

On 10/28/2019 at 5:29 PM, TwistofFate said:

I would give up ever seeing 300 yards for a stick moving consistent qb.

2 minutes ago, teef said:

the op said he would rather see JA throw 300 in a loss, than win a game.  that was said.

we all know that josh has to bring his game together, but this is getting nutty.

The nutty went and jumped threads.  Check this one out.

Read BillsVet conspiracy and then Scottlaws reply that it's "obvious".  Terry Pegula Corleone?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

The nutty went and jumped threads.  Check this one out.

Read BillsVet conspiracy and then Scottlaws reply that it's "obvious".  Terry Pegula Corleone?

oh i just read it.    it's something special.  

The play calling is abysmal and very predictable. 

It's very basic and it doesn't help Josh or any RB/WR. We do very little to get our play makers in space. John Brown is constantly running comebacks and out routes. He never has any YAC. We are not putting him in space. We are not getting Beasley into space. We need more mesh concepts, pick plays, zone sitting, etc. It's just not there. 

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm going to predict one of them is going to call me a sheep.

sheep, soccer mom....there was even someone special running around yesterday calling anyone who didn't agree with his opinion was a homer and incapable of objective thought.   the ironic thing is a lot of these posters are the same ones crying that you can't present a negative opinion without getting attacked.  let's face it, some people are just bitter.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Me neither, players need to execute. Has every playcall been perfect, no, never has and never will. Dabol is the best weve had in years and the longer he is here the better he will be. 

And who would you bring that would suddenly make us better ... No one.

Lynn and Roman were better at lease for running game.