Bills 13, Eagles 31 postgame thread

Some observations after a disappointing game:

*  In many ways we dominated the first half yet couldn't get beyond a 7 - 3 lead.  This was reminiscent of the Bengal's game though nowhere near as dominant.  Still if we went into half up 14 - 3 it probably would have properly reflected the run of play.

*  As others have noted let's do away with most of the designed Allen run plays accept inside the 10 yard line and short yardage QB sneaks.  Allen runs best after the pocket breaks down or with the run/pass & read option plays where they can't sell out to stop Allen. 

*  The designed Allen sweep on 3rd & 2 right before the half was a terrible call.  That play worked the 1st two games but hasn't since then.  The eagles entire defense flew to Allen and the ball.  Even without the fumble that play would have lost yardage.  Allen is NOT a RB and on a play like that the chance of a fumble is much higher.

*  The defense was very disappointing particularly in the 2nd half.  One of the hidden issues that plagued us the entire game was that when the Eagles were heading into the wind they were able to get a couple of first downs and move themselves towards midfield.  This was HUGE in the game of field position that characterizes wind games at Rich Stadium.  I counted at least 3 times that we let them convert 3rd & long when they were inside their own 20 going into the wind.  IMO by doing that the D cost us at least 7 points. 

*  I was also curious that we gave the Eagles the ball AND the wind in the 3rd quarter.  If we had been leading 7 - 3 then I might have done that and tried to hold out to the 4th quarter for the wind.  I would have been thinking that at worst we'd be down 10 - 7 going into the 4th with the wind.  But down 11 - 7 there's no way I'm giving them both.  Just one TD by the Birds changes the complexion of the entire game. 

*  I actually thought Allen played well.  His stats sucked because towards the end he only hit on like 1 in 12 passes but by then the game was over.  He led us on 2 long TD drives and got us into position of a long FG right before half.  He didn't throw an INT and made a number of nice throws.  The reality is that our O is severely limited.  Singleterry flashes potential but we're way below average at RB IMO.  We don't have a true receiving TE threat and beyond Brown our WR's are average to below average.   And our O line got schooled today.

*  But having said all that we're 5 - 2 and with a win next week we'll be at 6 - 2.  If someone said to me in July that we'd be 6 - 2 at the halfway mark I would have been thrilled!  I also don't think we should trade away draft picks for a WR or TE.  As others have noted this was never going to be our year.  If we make it as a wild card great.  But let's hold onto our draft picks and sign some big time FA's for next season.  That's when we'll be making a run.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, noacls said:

Both milano and edmunds got buried on the sanders td run. 

Sitting ducks 

1 minute ago, One Buffalo said:

This team wasn't going to be 15-1... or 14-2... or even 13-3...  there are a lot of games left.  Barring an epic collapse, this team will be in the playoffs where anything can happen.  Lessons learned now will pay dividends in January.  

and the next few years

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

*  In many ways we dominated the first half yet couldn't get beyond a 7 - 3 lead.  This was reminiscent of the Bengal's game though nowhere near as dominant.  Still if we went into half up 14 - 3 it probably would have properly reflected the run of play.

*  As others have noted let's do away with most of the designed Allen run plays accept inside the 10 yard line and short yardage QB sneaks.  Allen runs best after the pocket breaks down or with the run/pass & read option plays where they can't sell out to stop Allen. 

*  The designed Allen sweep on 3rd & 2 right before the half was a terrible call.  That play worked the 1st two games but hasn't since then.  The eagles entire defense flew to Allen and the ball.  Even without the fumble that play would have lost yardage.  Allen is NOT a RB and on a play like that the chance of a fumble is much higher.

*  The defense was very disappointing particularly in the 2nd half.  One of the hidden issues that plagued us the entire game was that when the Eagles were heading into the wind they were able to get a couple of first downs and move themselves towards midfield.  This was HUGE in the game of field position that characterizes wind games at Rich Stadium.  I counted at least 3 times that we let them convert 3rd & long when they were inside their own 20 going into the wind.  IMO by doing that the D cost us at least 7 points. 

*  I was also curious that we gave the Eagles the ball AND the wind in the 3rd quarter.  If we had been leading 7 - 3 then I might have done that and tried to hold out to the 4th quarter for the wind.  I would have been thinking that at worst we'd be down 10 - 7 going into the 4th with the wind.  But down 11 - 7 there's no way I'm giving them both.  Just one TD by the Birds changes the complexion of the entire game. 

*  I actually thought Allen played well.  His stats sucked because towards the end he only hit on like 1 in 12 passes but by then the game was over.  He led us on 2 long TD drives and got us into position of a long FG right before half.  He didn't throw an INT and made a number of nice throws.  The reality is that our O is severely limited.  Singleterry flashes potential but we're way below average at RB IMO.  We don't have a true receiving TE threat and beyond Brown our WR's are average to below average.   And our O line got schooled today.

*  But having said all that we're 5 - 2 and with a win next week we'll be at 6 - 2.  If someone said to me in July that we'd be 6 - 2 at the halfway mark I would have been thrilled!  I also don't think we should trade away draft picks for a WR or TE.  As others have noted this was never going to be our year.  If we make it as a wild card great.  But let's hold onto our draft picks and sign some big time FA's for next season.  That's when we'll be making a run.

RB is a sneaky need bc I don't know if or when Singletary is going to be 100 percent this year.  And Gore is going to wear down.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I get it but the call to run the QB in that situation was emblematic of the questionable play call Daboll has been giving us all year.

I don't know whats going through his head but it seems he is convinced (by the analytics no doubt) we have to pass to win and only uses the run game to set up the pass game later, or to do something nonsensically cute like call a designed QB run when Frank Gore has been tearing them apart up the middle.

I get the idea using JA's legs now and then but it just seemed like an odd spot to call a designed run like that.  I just think he constantly outthinks his own self by doing whatever a logical person would not do.  

Its got to get to JA and the guys on both sides of the ball after a while.  

Fair points and I agree with you about the designed sweep at the end of the half.  That play hasn't worked since the Giants game (the one against TN was an Allen ad lib NOT a called QB sweep) and it was clear the Eagles were expecting us to run exactly that play. 

When we signed Kroft & Beasley it was for 3rd & 2 plays at critical moments in the game.  Neither of those guys are going to catch 75 yard TD passes but that situation was what they're both designed to do.

And to be fair to McDermitt & Co.  We are way below average at RB.  Singleterry looks like he has the potential to emerge into a fine change of pace back but right now he's more a threat as a receiver then a runner.  Gore is a warrior headed for the HOF but he doesn't have a burst and isn't going to break to many tackles.  Watching other games shows me that we don't have anything close to a dominating RB.  IMO this is need #1 in the off season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This loss hurts the most because it was in buffalo that it happened.  First Alexander can't play linebacker anymore let's face it Edmund's and Milano have been covering for him now a couple of years. This team can not rely on leslie Frazer calling the defense anymore he is too archaic in his cover 2 and if shawn did not take over the defensive play calling in the second half of the chargers game last year he would not be the coach right now.  Shawn has to call the defense.

Josh allen is as close to a one man offense.  He has nothing to help him were is his running back to take pressure off of him we have 38 year old frank gore this not the 26 year old frank gore that carried Harbaugh.  And were is his wide receivers we have john brown that isn't rice and taylor Reed lofton, Irvin and Harper.

1 minute ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

This loss hurts the most because it was in buffalo that it happened.  First Alexander can't play linebacker anymore let's face it Edmund's and Milano have been covering for him now a couple of years. This team can not rely on leslie Frazer calling the defense anymore he is too archaic in his cover 2 and if shawn did not take over the defensive play calling in the second half of the chargers game last year he would not be the coach right now.  Shawn has to call the defense.

Josh allen is as close to a one man offense.  He has nothing to help him were is his running back to take pressure off of him we have 38 year old frank gore this not the 26 year old frank gore that carried Harbaugh.  And were is his wide receivers we have john brown that isn't rice and taylor Reed lofton, Irvin and Harper.

I think they need to get Singletary in earlier.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

RB is a sneaky need bc I don't know if or when Singletary is going to be 100 percent this year.  And Gore is going to wear down.  

It's become a critical need IMO.  But a need best addressed in the off season either in FA or the draft.  Right now this backfield is way below average and is probably bottom 5 in the league. 

If you notice they're trying to keep Gore from wearing down by limiting his touches.  But this leads to it's own set of problems where we abandon the run to quickly or have Allen try to play RB.  Lamar Jackson is the only guy that can be a RB at the QB position.  Allen is at his best running after the pass protection breaks down.

20 minutes ago, Chill said:

It’s time to replace our kicker. Houshka is just not consistent. Missed fg and a blocked ep. 

Yeah, nothing like kicking in a tornado, or against ZERO blocking! The extra point was a complete ST fiasco, NOT all on the kicker. 

Our opponents wouldn’t Even TRY a PAT against the wind. Bad day for kickers. 

Have you bumped your head recently? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It's become a critical need IMO.  But a need best addressed in the off season either in FA or the draft.  Right now this backfield is way below average and is probably bottom 5 in the league. 

If you notice they're trying to keep Gore from wearing down by limiting his touches.  But this leads to it's own set of problems where we abandon the run to quickly or have Allen try to play RB.  Lamar Jackson is the only guy that can be a RB at the QB position.  Allen is at his best running after the pass protection breaks down.

Last I heard Mike Tolbert isn’t doing anything these days. 

Agree with the need for playmakers.  It was quite evident today, albeit tough to judge given the conditions.  

Gore is fine in a game where our defense is playing well and he needs to keep us on schedule, but the Eagles have two Singletary’s out there at RB (in terms of both being playmakers) and we have 1, that we barely play.  

We also desperately need a legit WR opposite Brown.... 

Lamar has his tight end and run game.  Baker has all sort of weapons. Sam has Bell and not much else.  Allen has John Brown. 

Defense seems to have a 2 week funk every year under McDermott.  Hopefully they snap out of this quick.  They got straight up sonned by that Eagles Offense in the 2nd half.... embarrassing to watch. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Exactly right.  They improved an offense that was in the bottom two in the NFL last year and lifted it to (at best) the middle of the pack.  But this is still NOT an offense that can explode for a lot of points. 

And for the record, it's not like the D & Special teams have helped an admittedly mediocre O with great field position.  Through 7 games the D & ST's have given the ball to the O in the opponents red zone only once.  In fact, they have given the ball to the O on the opponents side of the field ONLY twice.  Our O has had to go on to many long drives to score points. 

They made it that way though. I don't think you get points for making something horrible and then not even getting it back to where it was. He shouldn't have hired his buddy with a shoddy record. 

40 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

When are these posters going to start being more appreciative of this franchise and all of their Super Bowl championships?! 

When???!!!

Hey man, just be thankful for the Pegulas for keeping this wonderful product on the field at home, where a 17-13 game in the 3rd Q is insurmountable. 

11 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is a really good post! Well thought out., sorry I’ll probably ramble my thoughts a bit. 

it would be interesting to go back and look at our third and shorts the past seven games. Daboll seems to go lunatic on this down in particular, game situational awareness is awful...I know maybe this play has worked in the past but 

i don’t like that call at that time where we

were on the field, even punting at that time would not have been the worst thing. 

I am concerned about our oline. At times they give josh more than ample time but at other times one or two guys just get blown off the ball almost Instantly.

is motor healthy or not. Why so long to work him into the game plan? 

we really need another wr to take pressure off brown, the ripple effect of getting John brown on another teams number 2 corner would be huge in my opinion.

I’m concerned about lack of turnovers on d as someone else mentioned in another post. We try to be physical And aggressive and get after them front four, disguise stuff but when we can’t get to the qb our coverage seems a lot to be desired. Our aggression Has also left us to be beaten by the screen pass more often then not.. mcd needs to take a hard look at the tape and figure out our run d.

I don’t put this game All on josh. He played ok... I would say not enough to win or lose, he just needs to keep growing.  Another no int game and I think on at least two of those fumbles he had no chance.. see oline . I do think he could have played better and yes even though I hated the call but it’s still his job to take care of the ball on that fumble . He did put us in nice position at the end of the half. Wish we could have made that kick.. but 

Game conditions were not really one to expect us going after 80 yard bombs all day. I don’t think offensively we are even meant to be a big play team. They will try to take plays in chunks all day. 

I think we at are an interesting point almost 8 games in. I don’t think Beane trades assets unless it’s for a top wr who will be more than A one year a rental.

Where do our tight ends fit into this offense.

Or do we stay the course and continue to build through the offseason and free agency.

lastly I’m very concerned about number 85 whenever there is a flag thrown!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Yup I had us at 10-6 with the wildcard this year and I’ve hit every single game in the prediction to be at 5-2 right now. The people who are upset right now are just mad they got ahead of themselves. 

Slow down there. I don't have a problem with the general direction of the football team. I think some of us are concerned that the linchpin in the whole operation is a QB that can play every week. 

To not have skeptical eyes gazing towards young lord Josh is simply idiotic. His numbers show that he is one of the worst QBs in football given the advanced stats. Capable of incredible plays? Yes. Not a real QB. He is what he is. Says the right things, looks the part. Can't stop his natural tendency to cough up the rock and generally do less-than-full-brain-capacity things with the football. 

2 minutes ago, SouthernBills said:

Slow down there. I don't have a problem with the general direction of the football team. I think some of us are concerned that the linchpin in the whole operation is a QB that can play every week. 

To not have skeptical eyes gazing towards young lord Josh is simply idiotic. His numbers show that he is one of the worst QBs in football given the advanced stats. Capable of incredible plays? Yes. Not a real QB. He is what he is. Says the right things, looks the part. Can't stop his natural tendency to cough up the rock and generally do less-than-full-brain-capacity things with the football. 

Wait, just to make sure I read this correctly, you’re saying that Josh is not a real qb?

Edited by Codyny13

1 minute ago, SouthernBills said:

Well, every fan is probably concerned about that QB. All but the biggest homers will be skeptical until it’s proven to be unwarranted . It will play out on the field, and if Josh Allen doesn’t produce in a certain time frame he will certainly be replaced. Not much we can do except go along for the ride or not. 

Just now, SouthernBills said:

Correct, sir. I don't think he has a sustainable way of playing in the league today. He only thrives in chaos. That doesn't work day in day out.

Pretty sure you’re watching a different QB than I am.  

I don’t even know where to begin because I think that you maybe have been watching replays from his rookie year as opposed to the live games this year?

2 minutes ago, SouthernBills said:

I disagree he really hasn’t coughed up the ball in the air in the past three weeks other than the one at tenn which was even questionable at best to being on him. That’s improvement. 

I think two of the fumbles Today were on the online for getting beat so bad.  

5 minutes ago, SouthernBills said:

Nowhere did I express that I’m satisfied with QB play. I said I’m satisfied with 5-2 and anyone who isn’t needs more realistic expectations.

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Nowhere did I express that I’m satisfied with QB play. I said I’m satisfied with 5-2 and anyone who isn’t needs more realistic expectations.

Me too. at 5-2 But they have to correct, learn and fix there own mistakes going forward. Adjust after this bad lost.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

39 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Fair points and I agree with you about the designed sweep at the end of the half.  That play hasn't worked since the Giants game (the one against TN was an Allen ad lib NOT a called QB sweep) and it was clear the Eagles were expecting us to run exactly that play. 

When we signed Kroft & Beasley it was for 3rd & 2 plays at critical moments in the game.  Neither of those guys are going to catch 75 yard TD passes but that situation was what they're both designed to do.

And to be fair to McDermitt & Co.  We are way below average at RB.  Singleterry looks like he has the potential to emerge into a fine change of pace back but right now he's more a threat as a receiver then a runner.  Gore is a warrior headed for the HOF but he doesn't have a burst and isn't going to break to many tackles.  Watching other games shows me that we don't have anything close to a dominating RB.  IMO this is need #1 in the off season. 

Except....it was McDermott & Co who made the decision to go into the season with Gore, Singletary and Yeldon.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t even know where to begin because I think that you maybe have been watching replays from his rookie year as opposed to the live games this year?

He is 30 out of 32 in QBR. What metric do you look for? I don't get you apologists. It's like talking to crazy people. I've watched every second of JAs career and the stats match up to what I see. He sucks! 

Just now, SouthernBills said:

He is 30 out of 32 in QBR. What metric do you look for? I don't get you apologists. It's like talking to crazy people. I've watched every second of JAs career and the stats match up to what I see. He sucks! 

Well, they’re not putting in Barkley. Have to watch it play out or watch another team. It’s always an option. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It's a passing offense. I don't think that they are going to make getting a dominating RB a priority. Better off looking for OT and WR help if they keep Daboll.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I agree, I think the strides he’s made toward being the true franchise qb compared to last year has been great. I’m looking forward to him continuing to grow.  Nobody says anything about Lamar Jackson running for 100 yards every game...instead of staying in the pocket and throwing it, or Rosen not being able to get on the field, Darnold seeing ghosts, Mayfield leading the NFL in picks.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SouthernBills said:

He needs to balance his performance over 4 quarters.  Today was a bad day for the team overall.  But going into today he had the highest 4th quarter QBR in the league.  Apparently you like the QBR so read that again.   Guys like that don’t suck.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Well, they’re not putting in Barkley. Have to watch it play out or watch another team. It’s always an option. 

Why don't you watch a HS team? I can say whatever the hell I want and still watch the team. Watching a player that is ranked 30 ourlt of 32 at the most important position in sports and not being able to critique is stupid. 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Oliver was the only good run defender on the team today and the All-22 will back me up on that.

Are you sure? i've read a million posts in a million threads stating that the pick was already a massive waste. 

If only we had that jacked WR that dropped the football while carrying it with no contact on what could have been a game-saving drive