Bills 13, Eagles 31 postgame thread

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

You tell me on 3rd and 2 he couldn't call a 3 yard hook to Brown or Beasley? That one play deflated the entire team.

He sure could have. As I said, I don’t want Josh Allen running in that situation. Just an awful call and the Eagles took advantage. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Yeah, but we were specifically talking about how many times Dabol calls the QB sweep in 3rd and short situations.  It’s too predictable.

That has been  great play for us and Josh got yds on it earlier in the game, just didn't work on that play.

5 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

This was a total team defeat from Allen to the D , the STs and the coaches. They were simply outclassed in all areas. I had a bad feeling going into this game as Philly isn't as bad as their record and they have a great coaching staff. Some things that stood out for me or stunk out for me was Daboll's game plan. The guy thinks he is  just too clever and is stubborn about adjusting when things are failing. So many plays on the offense were ill advised. The pressure today was relentless so why hardly any? screens? I think the Eagles D just wasn't tested at all. Allen was mediocre at best, awful at worst. 3 fumbles and on the most important drive of the game down 24-13 was wildly inaccurate.  I don't fault Hauschka for the missed FG but the blocked PAT was unforgivable by our STs unit. The STs this year have actually gotten worse. The final turd served up was by our O line who was overwhelmed by Phillys D line and committed so many unforced errors.  Not to be outdone by the pathetic offense, the D had their worse game of the season. With error after error. So many Philly series could have been snuffed out with some clutch tackles but Wentz again and again was allowed to squirm away. The icing on the cake for this gut punch defeat was the absolute multitude of Philly fans whooping it up in our house. Embarrassing game in all aspects.

wildy innacurate!  He was 13-21 160 yds and 2 TDS in the 3rd before Philly went on their 10 hr drive.  Game went downhill after that, and yes Allen was partially to blame for that.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Like (+1) 2

I expected a loss today, but the way it snowballed into a blowout is concerning. I don't know what happened to Edmunds during the bye but the run defense will be a mess until he pulls it together. The offensive line has gotten pushed around the past 2 weeks. We don't have anyone on offense that we can rely on for a big play. Right now we look like a borderline playoff team that will make the playoffs this year because of a weak schedule. If we want to be dominant we need to fix those issues.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

But the season is clearly over. Good teams never get beat. They never get beat badly. Obviously the Patriots have never suffered an embarrassing loss on the way to the Superbowl. We're done. Stick a fork in it. 

LMAO. I get you're being sarcastic, but the only way this team gets to the SB this year is to get tickets from one of the teams who will actually be playing in the game.

I’ve been on the Bob Foster train and wondering why he hasn’t gotten more run lately. I realize some of that was due to injury, some to matchups. I realize he can’t call his own plays, but I’m starting to think he might just be mediocre. Hard to say because I pin most of this loss on coaching. McD has these games, at least a couple each year, where he’s totally outclassed. I really like the guy, but that’s becoming a concerning trend. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

95 % of the people here said this was a LOSS a month ago.

Schwartz is a very good coach.

The Eagles have been a good 3rd QRT team. They showed us the stats how many times? 

Wentz is a good QB.

The Bills are still 5-2 and still hold the WC spot. 

The loss sucked but this isn’t the end all. 

Go Bills

I guess the problem is that while the Bills will probably get a WC because their schedule is one of the easiest in NFL history, it shows how troubling it is when the defense isn't holding teams to under 20 points every game. This team cannot win games when they are required to even trade scores with a team and that is a major problem in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

They beat our a$$ is our stadium in OUR weather.  This is why we drafted a big guy like Josh and built this D.  Just a big step backwards for the Bills today imo.

The defense is built to play vs the pass and the offense is pass heavy, so I don't think the Bills are building a team to play in weather like today. Today's weather worked very nicely for the Eagles, IMO.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Yes. It was bad.

It has worked in different field conditions, against different defensive fronts, when we have had the ball in the red zone.

Not deep in your own zone against a good run defense  selling out to stop the run - not trying to be snarky, but that had less than 0 chance of turning out well. Less than zero because I thought the odds were good that Allen would get hurt or the ball would come out before the ball was snapped. And the ball came out.

Daboll would have been better off calling a punt on 3rd down.

3 minutes ago, trainspotting said:

Maybe tired of a team that has not won a playoff game in a quarter century and this team could easily slip to 5 and 5 and be out of the playoffs.

Yes they could OR they could be 6-4 OR 7-3 OR 8-2.  They will have to play the games to see what will happen.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheProcess said:

I’ve been on the Bob Foster train and wondering why he hasn’t gotten more run lately. I realize some of that was due to injury, some to matchups. I realize he can’t call his own plays, but I’m starting to think he might just be mediocre. Hard to say because I pin most of this loss on coaching. McD has these games, at least a couple each year, where he’s totally outclassed. I really like the guy, but that’s becoming a concerning trend. 

Not having McKittrick hurt us today.  The only rationale I heard for starting Foster was for ST's, since McK only returns kicks.  But a long ball guy in 30mph winds was breasts on a bull today.  We needed that jet sweep, although the one time we ran it, Motor did get a yard (SMH).

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

Hopefully Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills learned something today.

The 4th quarter heroics after a bad 3 quarters is not always going to be there to save you.

There are days when the conditions dictate "slobber-knocker" kind of football where it is more a matter of will and beating the man across from you till you can make that screen or dump off go for a lot of yards because the opposing team is desperate, you have the lead, and they have sold out to stop the run.

And that is the truth - you cannot always rely on 4th qtr heroics if your defense cannot stop the opposing team. You are not going to get the ball back, they are the ones eating up the clock with long drives. There are times you just have to play 60 minutes of sound football with solid play calls and execution. That was not the Bills today.

It happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Said in the pre game thread I was nervous about the game because the weather set up offensive run heavy game plans, which is our weakness on defense and the Eagles strength on defense.

I was especially disappointed that coming out of the half our run defense looked like it got worse.

Yes, Josh clearly needs to protect the football better, but I'm going to be really curious when the All-22 comes out how often our WRs are getting open on plays Allen isn't getting it to them.

We legitimately might need to go out and get a WR.

Just cut Lee Smith please. He's a detriment to the team.

I'm starting to feel the same about Edmunds... though not the cut him part.

Our schedule is still pretty easy and I still expect us to make the playoffs, but this game better serve as a wakeup call because that was UGLY!!!

In the end, it's one loss to an NFC team and we're still 5-2. I just think I have PTSD looking at that record remembering that was our record with Fitz that one year we had our hot start and awful finish.

Can't exactly freak out, but this was definitely a big letdown.

I don't think it is an overreaction to say that Daboll is an idiot and needs to go. That game plan of passing all day in 30 mph winds and barely using the rbs was so absolutely incomprehensible and stupid that I cannot wrap my head around it. 

P.S. Star still sucks.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Daboll was the problem, McKittrick sittin', run abandonin', QB sneakin' mutha *****a.

we ran more today than ive seen all year.

When you're down two TDs  in the 4th you dont have time to run.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

He sure could have. As I said, I don’t want Josh Allen running in that situation. Just an awful call and the Eagles took advantage. 

If Allen held onto the ball and we converted no one would be complaining about the call. Poor execution has a way of making the coaching look bad. Frankly I don't blame Daboll for calling a bunch of screens and gadget plays. This offense isn't built up enough to run normal plays and Allen is still learning. Until we get a true #1 WR the offense isn't going anywhere. That or an elite offensive line but we're about 4 players short of that.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

95 % of the people here said this was a LOSS a month ago.

Schwartz is a very good coach.

The Eagles have been a good 3rd QRT team. They showed us the stats how many times? 

Wentz is a good QB.

The Bills are still 5-2 and still hold the WC spot. 

The loss sucked but this isn’t the end all. 

Go Bills

You are one hell of an expert when it comes to rationalization.

Unfortunately, this is a fallacy of reasoning and should be avoided.  

Sheds no light whatsoever on the underlying issues at hand.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I guess the problem is that while the Bills will probably get a WC because their schedule is one of the easiest in NFL history, it shows how troubling it is when the defense isn't holding teams to under 20 points every game. This team cannot win games when they are required to even trade scores with a team and that is a major problem in the playoffs.

it was one game.   They closed out the narrative that the desperate Eagles won.  

I'm in to Washington.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

Not having McKittrick hurt us today.  The only rationale I heard for starting Foster was for ST's, since McK only returns kicks.  But a long ball guy in 30mph winds was breasts on a bull today.  We needed that jet sweep, although the one time we ran it, Motor did get a yard (SMH).

Agreed. I don’t think McKenzie should ever be inactive. At least until we have someone better. He’s a weapon in Daboll’s offense. If you sit anyone, it should be Duke (*ducks*). 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

LMAO. I get you're being sarcastic, but the only way this team gets to the SB this year is to get tickets from one of the teams who will actually be playing in the game.

I'm not saying Superbowl... I'm saying some games are just throwaways. We're still in the running until we see otherwise and hot takes about how the season is over and we're not gonna be able to win 5 more games with our vanilla schedule to make the playoffs is stupid. 

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

it was one game.   They closed out the narrative that the desperate Eagles won.  

I'm in to Washington.  

Yeah but it was close to happening against the Dolphins too...that starts being a trend...

The offense simply needs to be better.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

If Allen held onto the ball and we converted no one would be complaining about the call. Poor execution has a way of making the coaching look bad. Frankly I don't blame Daboll for calling a bunch of screens and gadget plays. This offense isn't built up enough to run normal plays and Allen is still learning. Until we get a true #1 WR the offense isn't going anywhere. That or an elite offensive line but we're about 4 players short of that.

I don’t blame him for calling screens or misdirection stuff. I just don’t want my QB running with the ball deep in my own territory on 3rd and short. Weather today meant points were going to be like rubies and he gave them a cheap 6. I just trust my RB more in that area. That play wasn’t just about execution, but risk. 

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

we ran more today than ive seen all year.

I don't count Josh scrambles as runs.  Box score shows 9 for Gore, 3 for Motor, 34 passes, 8 runs for Josh.  So they gave Josh the ball 42 times, Gore and Motor 12.  Gailey, er, Daboll abandoned the run yet again.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I don't count Josh scrambles as runs.  Box score shows 9 for Gore, 3 for Motor, 34 passes, 8 runs for Josh.  So they gave Josh the ball 42 times, Gore and Motor 12.  Gailey, er, Daboll abandoned the run yet again.

Gailey ran it a lot more than that.

8 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Bills couldn’t block for crap , so I don’t think a couple jet sweeps win today. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I don’t blame him for calling screens or misdirection stuff. I just don’t want my QB running with the ball deep in my own territory on 3rd and short. Weather today meant points were going to be like rubies and he gave them a cheap 6. I just trust my RB more in that area. That play wasn’t just about execution, but risk. 

I get it but that play hasn't been a risk any other time this year. All of Allen's turnovers have come on passing plays. It sucks it didn't work out but that has overall been a money play for us on 3rd down this year. This is just a case of bad execution.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Dabol is not the problem, offense was good today, players need to finish drives.

Disagree with this, but it happens right?

I think Dabol called a game that I would expect to see in a dome. He ignored conditions on the field, field position and game situations, and ignored the plays that his offense was executing vs the plays they were struggling to make. In a game that begged for grind it out ball control in the 2nd half before they fell so far behind he was giving up 3 and outs with pass, pass, pass and putting a struggling defense back on the field. Not his best day.

He called a bad game, AND the Bills players did not execute very well either. I think it is safe to say that both can happen.

• Like (+1) 1