You've been a Bills fan for too long if...

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

...if you don't watch the Bills on TV because you think you'll be the bad luck.

...even at 13-2, you'll still be fearful of a late season collapse.

...you feel every game on the schedule is a trap game.

ummmm....i do enjoy murph and wood on the radio and if it's a good play, i can run to the tv to see it. if i plant myself in front of the tv and they suck, i do feel to blame....

however sometimes when we all get our hands up, the opposing kicker misses. worked like a charm against the titans.

btw, 10 yrs. old when o.j. broke the record....and i thought iw as old

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

If you had a Rotary Antenna that you swung West from Rochester on the Stereo Console TV 

hqdefault.jpg

i lived closer to buffalo, so we got 2,4 and 7 with the foil covered rabbit ears. on a good day on saturday morning you could get maple leaf wrestling out of toronto on ch. 5.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

...You remember a boy scout tent on the sidelines where the cheerleaders went to change, as well as dozens of men standing on the cinder track behind the snow fence next to the boy scout tent.

Wow, that was a thing? 

Creepy, but hilarious.

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

My father, at War Memorial, wouldn't let me go battle for a football after extra points and FG's.

But he did let me nip from his flask....he should have let me fight for a football.

And you believe the man with the flask in his trench coat was your dad? ?

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

ummmm....i do enjoy murph and wood on the radio and if it's a good play, i can run to the tv to see it. if i plant myself in front of the tv and they suck, i do feel to blame....

however sometimes when we all get our hands up, the opposing kicker misses. worked like a charm against the titans.

btw, 10 yrs. old when o.j. broke the record....and i thought iw as old

i lived closer to buffalo, so we got 2,4 and 7 with the foil covered rabbit ears. on a good day on saturday morning you could get maple leaf wrestling out of toronto on ch. 5.

We had an antenna way up on the roof. We had to flip a coin to see who was going up to turn it...especially in the winter!

Alas I am a plank holder. born in 1948, I was 12 when the Bills played their first game.  Remember we used to go to Saturday night games in the Rockpile on a school bus and tickets were $1.  I remember going to a playoff game in '63 vs. the Patsies and the $6 ticket was my must have Christmas present.  Our seats were in the bleachers at War Memorial and the seats were garbage can impressions in the foot of snow that had fallen that week. Also got to see Cookie run for 243 yards and 5 td's [54.5 fantasy points] vs. the Jets in a mosh pit.  That game guaranteed the Jets got the draft pick to select Joe Namath.

Edited by BearNorth
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Your seminal sports memory is the Bills losing at home to the Chiefs 31-7 for the right to go the the first Super Bowl. You were unable to watch the game on your family's single black and white TV (presumably because it wasn't broadcast in Buffalo), so you listened to the game on the vacuum tube radio in your parent's bedroom.

20 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

This is an amazing post!  Thanks for the memories. One to add.....

....you not only remember Preston Ridlehuber, but you know the two famous plays he was involved in. 

His name was actually H. Preston Ridlehuber.

Getting behind the goal posts for FG's or extra points was an adventure.

I actually got the ball once. I got the snot kicked out of me on the way down, but I held on.

On the way out, ans usher told me that if I didn't hide it, I wouldn't last a half block.

23 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

Played at Saint Bonaventure I believe? I also certainly remember the amazing Bob Lanier. I think it was his freshman year they were heading for the final four and maybe a national championship then he blew out his knee in the tournament. The little three was something back then. They had the two best freshman in the country.

Played on the great Niagara teams with Charlie Hoxie, Bo Erias et al.

18 hours ago, dhgold said:

Your seminal sports memory is the Bills losing at home to the Chiefs 31-7 for the right to go the the first Super Bowl. You were unable to watch the game on your family's single black and white TV (presumably because it wasn't broadcast in Buffalo), so you listened to the game on the vacuum tube radio in your parent's bedroom.

No photo description available.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

1 hour ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Played on the great Niagara teams with Charlie Hoxie, Bo Erias et al.

Just a bit before my time. Started paying attention in the mid 60s just before they got Murphy.  That’s when they had Manny Leaks at center. 

20 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

My father, at War Memorial, wouldn't let me go battle for a football after extra points and FG's.

But he did let me nip from his flask....he should have let me fight for a football.

Greatest post ever on TBD! Man those were some fights in the end zone - you are not only the Egg Man but the Walrus too! Awesome post I love it! Back in a really cool time to be a kid!