OAK planning to suspend AB (edit: apologized, playing)

Reed83HOF

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Didnt say that, it’s how Mayock has handled it.  He should have sat down face to face with him and not send a letter.  He shouldn’t have thrown AB under the bus in the media over the helmet while Gruden was saying they have his back.

?? The letter is protocol. I don’t get this at all. AB was the one who didn’t keep it in house.

15 minutes ago, H2o said:

I can't blame Mayock for this. AB is the one who had to put the letter on social media with his little b**** comment. He then goes in on Mayock at Wednesday's practice. You can't coddle his crazy ass (and he is SURELY crazy af). Treat everyone the same, whether it be an undrafted free agent you kept or a star player. 

You treat everyone equally, but you manage how you do that differently.  That’s CEO 101 stuff.  This is why Phil Jackson is the greatest basketball coach in history, no one was ever as good as him at that.  Which is why he won championships with the same teams other coaches couldn’t.

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm really thrilled to see what @BADOLBILZ has to say on this topic, since @C.Biscuit97 is now trying to spin his way out of being in on this guy from the beginning.

I was in on him, and I'll own every bit of it; I would've been pleased at the time to give up a 3rd and a 5th for him.

When I saw that he demanded a new contract, I said that I felt that was a bit of a red flag, but that the meager investment would be worth it given how good he's been.

Would I have buyer's remorse at this point? Yes, undoubtedly. Would I feel utter shame over giving up the picks that turned into Singletary and Vosean Joseph? No...mild disappointment most likely.

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm really thrilled to see what @BADOLBILZ has to say on this topic, since @C.Biscuit97 is now trying to spin his way out of being in on this guy from the beginning.

$1000 or whatever amount you want bet right now (someone find the thread please) where I once wanted AB.  Find one post from the thread that said I wanted him or pay me $1000.  Or just shut up and admit you’re liar.

trust me, I’ll gladly admit when I’m wrong but I’m not going to have some come with some made up BS.  So put your money where is or just admit you talked out of your butt. You’re just making things up and it’s a bad look.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Haha (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

One of the tweets referenced (too lazy to go back) said something about teammates having to hold brown back during his argument with Mayock... If that's the case, and it was well witnessed, that seems like plenty of ground to send that contract through the shredder... Not sure the NFLPA are gonna go to bat for AB when it comes to stuff like that...

The NFLPA would because they have too. Whether they think he is wrong or not

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

You treat everyone equally, but you manage how you do that differently.  That’s CEO 101 stuff.  This is why Phil Jackson is the greatest basketball coach in history, no one was ever as good as him at that.  Which is why he won championships with the same teams other coaches couldn’t.

There's a difference between Head Coaching and GM/Front Office though.

Head Coaches for sure do all the necessary coddling, and "praise in public, punish in private", team-building, zen guru, kumbabya stuff.

And for the entire summer, Mayock sat in the FO and kept his mouth shut. But when enough was enough, it is HIS job to step in and be the bad cop. That's what he did.

He let the cryo thing go. He let the helmet thing go on for weeks. But at some point, Mayock has to pull that leash in.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But you’re acting if would any different here.  If Beane was this great, he won’t have made Buffalo a punchline after the AB trade fell through.

but it’s water on the bridge now.  Much better to be lucky than good I guess.

Good Grief!  What are you talking about?  There is no bridge and no water for Beane to get over.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

?? The letter is protocol. I don’t get this at all. AB was the one who didn’t keep it in house.

No Mayock took this to the media first back in August when he threw AB under the bus.  That’s was a colossal mistake and no GM should be issuing those kinds of statements to the media.  

Not defending AB, saying Mayock has been a Catalyst and more of an adversary than a GM who has his back.  Huge mistake making those comments to the media back in August and I said right there it was going to lead to bad things.  

Again, AB is definitely also an issue, but they knew that and if you’re going to trade for a guy with his personality then you better understand how to manage him, and Mayock has done a poor job IMO.  

My point is AB is the root of the problem. His attitude, his actions, and his reactions are the cause of this whole situation from Pittsburgh until now. The guy is nuts. There's no defending him. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Wouldn't the Raiders get a reprieve on breach of contract?

They could also go after him for that if he continues to refuse to play.  Id think they would have to take him off suspension before not playing would be on him though. 

Edited by BarleyNY

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No Mayock took this to the media first back in August when he threw AB under the bus.  That’s was a colossal mistake and no GM should be issuing those kinds of statements to the media.  

Not defending AB, saying Mayock has been a Catalyst and more of an adversary than a GM who has his back.  Huge mistake making those comments to the media back in August and I said right there it was going to lead to bad things.  

Again, AB is definitely also an issue, but they knew that and if you’re going to trade for a guy with his personality then you better understand how to manage him, and Mayock has done a poor job IMO.  

I don't care much for Mayock but this was inevitable.  I didn't think it would happen this soon though.

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Didnt say that, it’s how Mayock has handled it.  He should have sat down face to face with him and not send a letter.  He shouldn’t have thrown AB under the bus in the media over the helmet while Gruden was saying they have his back.

How do you know he didn't do that?

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Phil Jackson had teams that would have won championships with Vince Young as head coach.

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They don’t waive them if a guy just decides not to go to practice. He was in the hotel where they were practicing and just chose not to attend!  They waive fines if a guy is holding out and then signs, which is different. I mean how dare he be held accountable?

Yup,more then likely it's part of the negotiation of the contract, the player agrees to the term and signs on the condition the fines are waived

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I usually always agree with you but not this one.  There's just a certain limit, doesn't matter how sensitive/diva like someone is, you can't continue to coddle.  They've done that.  They've stretched it as far as it can.  I'm willing to bet there are even more things the media doesn't know about.  

All good, and I think it’s justified to suspend AB.  My point is the way Mayock has managed AB up until now was not the right approach and it’s contributed to the problem.  

“You all know that AB is not here today,” Mayock told reporters at the Raiders’ Napa Valley training facility. “So here’s the bottom line: He’s upset about the helmet issue — we have supported that, we appreciate that. But at this point, we’ve pretty much exhausted all avenues of relief. So from our perspective, it’s time for him to be all-in or all-out. “We’re hoping he’s back soon. We’ve got 89 guys busting their tails. We are really excited about where this franchise is going, and we hope AB’s going to be a big part of it, starting in Week 1 against Denver. End of story, no questions.”

Just so we all know what you consider throwing someone under the bus. 

• Thank you (+1) 8

48 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Mayock has not handled the situation very well from day 1 IMO.  If you’re gonna take on a personality like AB you better know how to manage it, and to me Mayock has been going at it poorly this whole time helping lead up to this meltdown.  Not deflecting responsibility from AB, but they knew who he was and then have tried to play the iron fist with him instead of managing the situation better.  

Some situations just can't be managed.  First the frostbitten feet.  Then the helmet.  Now this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

Just so we all know what you consider throwing someone under the bus. 

In ABs eyes, how do you think that landed?  It’s a passive aggressive threat to call AB bluff on how he would retire if he can’t use his helmet.

As a CEO, I hold everyone to the same rules and standards.  But I also go about how I approach each person differently and manage them as individuals.  Mayock chose to manage everyone the same...that’s not a good approach if you’re taking on massive personalities like an OBJ or AB.

Just my opinion.  Again, AB is still a problem and not defending him.  Just feel that Mayock could have managed the relationship smarter that may have prevented it going this far. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pretty sure he did that for 6 months. Sooner or later you need to put the 31 year old who thinks being held accountable for missing practice is “hating” in ‘time out’ with his binky.

I understand,

I just think the situation should have been handled behind closed doors.

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good, and I think it’s justified to suspend AB.  My point is the way Mayock has managed AB up until now was not the right approach and it’s contributed to the problem.  

pray tell, how should he have handled it?

This guy is OBVIOUSLY mentally wrong.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Phil Jackson had teams that would have won championships with Vince Young as head coach.

Except they didn’t.  Jordan and Pippen never made the finals before Phil and neither did Shaq and Kobe.  Both teams made and won the finals in Phil’s first season as HC and would three peat each.

In ABs eyes, how do you think that landed?  It’s a passive aggressive threat to call AB bluff on how he would retire if he can’t use his helmet.

As a CEO, I hold everyone to the same rules and standards.  But I also go about how I approach each person differently and manage them as individuals.  Mayock chose to manage everyone the same...that’s not a good approach if you’re taking on massive personalities like an OBJ or AB.

Just my opinion.  Again, AB is still a problem and not defending him.  Just feel that Mayock could have managed the relationship smarter that may have prevented it going this far. 

Tell us then?

if you owned or managed a business how would you handle your employees repeatedly not showing up for work?

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I was in on him, and I'll own every bit of it; I would've been pleased at the time to give up a 3rd and a 5th for him.

When I saw that he demanded a new contract, I said that I felt that was a bit of a red flag, but that the meager investment would be worth it given how good he's been.

Would I have buyer's remorse at this point? Yes, undoubtedly. Would I feel utter shame over giving up the picks that turned into Singletary and Vosean Joseph? No...mild disappointment most likely.

And so was Beane.   

He was offering a lot more in trade than Oakland was.........Brown nixed the deal.

Now Brown will probably end up getting traded along with a draft pick or two before the Oct 29th trade deadline to a team with a lot of cap space to burn.:devil:

And again, as noted by another poster, we do not know what has gone on behind the scenes. We don't know what kind of conversations or meetings have been had. Mayock saying his one little 20 second clip to a media that has been constantly asking him questions does not constitute the constant amount of drama from his crazy af self. This may have been a last resort for Mayock to show that things they had talked about in private were legitimate. You can't coddle these little bastards because it only makes the situation worse. 

50 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’d bet that Mayock wasn’t on board with the signing from the beginning. Mayock may leave before Brown does, given the power structure in Oakland. When the HC is getting paid $100m, the GM isn’t gonna win any differences of opinion on players. 

Along this vein, if Gruden has a great deal of decision making and it looks like he does, he's doing a terrible job.

1) Traded Mack and then acted surprised at how good he was.

2) Traded Cooper, who then tore it up in Dallas.

3) Took Clelin Ferrel #4 overall.

4) Took a RB in the 1st round.

5) Looks like he was good with acquiring AB. 

Am I missing anything? I'll keep editing as I come up with more. 

6) He said Peterman was awesome.

7) Signed Vontez.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He didn’t throw him under the bus. He addressed the media that day as was his obligation and said they had done everything they could with the helmet thing but they hit a wall With the nfl and there was nothing else they could do... they supported him publically not threw him under the bus. He was expected back at practice for that reason. The man is running a football team not a daycare. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I already know how this one ends:

Raiders suspend AB for conduct detrimental to the team. His $30million in guarantees are voided. The Raiders cut him outright and admit defeat on the trade. The Patriots sign him and -- suddenly, realizing this is his last chance and his best shot to win a Super Bowl -- he shapes up and acts like a consummate professional. The Patriots offense with Brown on one side and Gordon on the other and Edelman in the slot becomes unstoppable, the Patriots go to their 4th straight Super Bowl and win their 7th ring.

So it is written, and so it shall be.

• Haha (+1) 1