OAK planning to suspend AB (edit: apologized, playing)

Reed83HOF

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

One of the tweets referenced (too lazy to go back) said something about teammates having to hold brown back during his argument with Mayock... If that's the case, and it was well witnessed, that seems like plenty of ground to send that contract through the shredder... Not sure the NFLPA are gonna go to bat for AB when it comes to stuff like that...

The NFLPA would go to bat for AB even if he beat Mayock to death with his own two hands.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They still tried to trade for him.  It absolutely blows my mind with all the talk about culture.  And if he would have said ok, he’d be here doing the same crap.  

But yeah, bullet dodged.

I think the general idea was that if your confident in the culture you've established, it can weather a few player with less than ideal personalities. That being said I'd say everyone underestimated how much BS Antonio Brown would bring with him.

Let this be a lesson to the "talent is talent, bring him in" guys on here.

If any other teams want to touch this clown, it'll have to be NO guaranteed money, all incentives or something like that.  Raiders already can't trade that contract now, might have to eat the $30m hit this year to deal with him.  He might even be trying to get himself cut.

Just now, JoPar_v2 said:

If they void his guarantees that will effectively end his time in OAK. AB is all about his money. If you take that away he’ll be on the next flight out of town.

If they can get out of the guarantees, my guess is they will be giving him a ride to the airport. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well why did they trade for the idiot in the first plAce?  It’s like they hooked up with a girl you know has a std and are surprised they got burned.  It’s his own fault. 

Why? Gruden. Period.

10 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

So you are that AB is not a total idiot and needs to be coached/controlled better? After two successive organizations have been unable to handle him? 

Besides, McBeane have shyed away from contact, so to speak. As evidenced by then shipping off Dareus ..

Beane is smart enough to know how to handle his personality.  Mayock has decided to rule with an iron fist in more of an adversary way.  Sorry, but you have one job at the top of the food chain, and that’s to manage, and no two people are always going to be handled the same way.  

It’s not about treating them different and letting them slide, it’s about how you approach the situation and how you talk to them.  Mayock has been taking a confrontational approach and that was never going to work with ABs personality.  

Look, I am not defending AB, but at the end of the day he is who he is, and it’s up to Gruden and Mayock to manage what they traded for, and they haven’t taken the best approach IMO and have been saying it all along.  Mayock set this up when he took a jab at him in the media during the helmet situation.  As a GM he should have kept that in house and said it to ABs face, not the media.  

Mayock should have met with him face to face on this and not sent a letter.  Especially after taking a jab at AB in August in the media.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

LOL. Some people wanted to trade for this clown. 

Unbelievable.

None of this is surprising to me. But yea. He would've helped Josh Allen? 

Yeah, who would want the best WR in football?

Still, not quite as stoopid as declaring Tyrod Taylor a franchise QB after 2015!

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I think one or two on here thought he was worth a first???

BE QUIET!  BE QUIET!!

He would have been the best receiver we have ever had on this team and THAT is all that matters as it would automatically mean 12 wins.

What the heck is wrong with you?!  Don't you know that the needs of the 1 out weight the needs of the 53?!

It is 100% about what this guy can do for this team on paper and on paper he catches a ton of passes and is a star...the hell with everything else.  Big Ben can't carry Josh Allen's jock strap when it comes to leadership and influencing a team!

...it's like I'm on a board with a bunch of gnats.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think the general idea was that if your confident in the culture you've established, it can weather a few player with less than ideal personalities. That being said I'd say everyone underestimated how much BS Antonio Brown would bring with him.

Your culture works much better when you have Tom Brady.  I hated the idea of Brown because he was complaining in Pittsburgh which is about as good of an organization in sports.  He would have lose his mind here (well I guess he is).  

And Tomlin took a lot of crap but I think this completely vindicates him.  The fact that he could have even kept Brown and Bell together for that long is kinda of amazing. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I don't even characterize AB as a Diva.  I think he has mental problems which may include personality disorder.  Maybe even from the onset of CTE.  Who knows?...but dude is a mess.

He really hasn't been the same since that hit by Burfict. I have thought about that on more than one occasion. Then again, rich people are sometimes just :censored: nuts. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Just take the L.... The fact that you didn't see this coming is a really bad look, and you don't want that decision making dragged through the papers during a lengthy court battle. ;)

I knew it was a risk, but I had the last pick so pickings were kind of slim so took a chance.  I really didn't think he'd get suspended, more worrying about him just having lousy numbers.

Then again the Raiders will be getting sued in so many directions, they may not even notice one more!

28 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I wish we would have got this guy.  He would have meshed so well with the McBeane philosophy.  I actually don't know how the Bills have been able to function without a distraction like this.  I simply can't help but fantasize about him being the highest paid Bill.

Can someone help me with the search function? I need to relive the magic of people bashing the Bills for not getting AB.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I wish we would have got this guy.  He would have meshed so well with the McBeane philosophy.  I actually don't know how the Bills have been able to function without a distraction like this.  I simply can't help but fantasize about him being the highest paid Bill.

Haha.  I am gladly eating crow right about now!   What a frigging mess

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

One of the tweets referenced (too lazy to go back) said something about teammates having to hold brown back during his argument with Mayock... If that's the case, and it was well witnessed, that seems like plenty of ground to send that contract through the shredder... Not sure the NFLPA are gonna go to bat for AB when it comes to stuff like that...

Had to be held back by teammates.  Wow.  There is a good chance it's over for him in OAK.

It will be tough for Mayock to try to deal him away even if he eats some money.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane is smart enough to know how to handle his personality.  Mayock has decided to rule with an iron fist in more of an adversary way.  Sorry, but you have one job at the top of the food chain, and that’s to manage, and no two people are always going to be handled the same way.  

It’s not about treating them different and letting them slide, it’s about how you approach the situation and how you talk to them.  Mayock has been taking a confrontational approach and that was never going to work with ABs personality.  

Look, I am not defending AB, but at the end of the day he is who he is, and it’s up to Gruden and Mayock to manage what they traded for, and they haven’t taken the best approach IMO and have been saying it all along.  Mayock set this up when he took a jab at him in the media during the helmet situation.  As a GM he should have kept that in house and said it to ABs face, not the media.  

Mayock should have met with him face to face on this and not sent a letter.  Especially after taking a jab at AB in August in the media.

This board completely overrates Beane.  Davis and Boldin both quit.  There have been some nice moves but man, people really do treat this guy like a God.  It was a stupid idea to try and bring this guy here and Buffalo got laughed at because of it.  

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’d bet that Mayock wasn’t on board with the signing from the beginning. Mayock may leave before Brown does, given the power structure in Oakland. When the HC is getting paid $100m, the GM isn’t gonna win any differences of opinion on players. 

Agreed, and Gruden loves AB and wants AB.  

I think this current situation is as much on Mayock as AB.  People are going to pile on AB, and I get it, totally reasonable.  But, Mayock has handled his relationship with AB poorly and that has led to this being so turbulent IMO.  

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This board completely overrates Beane.  Davis and Boldin both quit.  There have been some nice moves but man, people really do treat this guy like a God.  It was a stupid idea to try and bring this guy here and Buffalo got laughed at because of it.  

How is Davis and Boldin a reflection of Beanes ability to manage personalities?  I don’t see any correlation of any kind between them and Beanes ability to manage player personalities.  And honestly, it’s pretty ridiculous to blame Beane for those guys retiring.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Haha.  I am gladly eating crow right about now!   What a frigging mess

My sarcastic posts aside, Riot...man, he is phenomenal receiver and HKs showed him as a real person.  I honestly think that as a guy, he's not a bad one.

...but boy they have worked so hard over three years getting rid of the "me first" or "I'm not saying it, but you're lucky I'm even here, can't wait to get out, and I'll rest on my laurels when I feel like it" sort of guys.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed, and Gruden loves AB and wants AB.  

I think this current situation is as much on Mayock as AB.  People are going to pile on AB, and I get it, totally reasonable.  But, Mayock has handled his relationship with AB poorly and that has led to this being so turbulent IMO.  

How so? AB signed a contract that said he would be fined for missing practice, and he missed practice. Mayock should have... not fined him?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane is smart enough to know how to handle his personality.  Mayock has decided to rule with an iron fist in more of an adversary way.  Sorry, but you have one job at the top of the food chain, and that’s to manage, and no two people are always going to be handled the same way.  I think to say that Beane could have handled AB is just pure conjecture for one, and wrong for two... The level of Crazy that is AB right now is off the scale. I love Beane, I think we're in the same spot if it's us. 

It’s not about treating them different and letting them slide, it’s about how you approach the situation and how you talk to them.  Mayock has been taking a confrontational approach and that was never going to work with ABs personality.  I think they had plenty of patience with him. The man is an adult. Mayock acted like a professional and an adult, Brown did not. 

Look, I am not defending AB, but at the end of the day he is who he is, and it’s up to Gruden and Mayock to manage what they traded for, and they haven’t taken the best approach IMO and have been saying it all along.  Mayock set this up when he took a jab at him in the media during the helmet situation.  As a GM he should have kept that in house and said it to ABs face, not the media.  I don't think that was a jab at all- it was telling him to do his job... 

Mayock should have met with him face to face on this and not sent a letter.  Especially after taking a jab at AB in August in the media. A letter is standard fare for notification of fines... Every player knows that. Few are so unstable that they put it on the insta...

I find most everything in this disagreeable- Ill put my comments in bold. 

You're welcome to your opinons, but this post comes off like you're defending brown and blaming Mayock while (at least what has been made public) shows that Brown is 100% to blame, and Mayock is not to blame at all... 

We can disagree though. :P

• Awesome! (+1) 2