Jadeveon Clowney could miss regular-season games

HOUSE

Houston's season opener is in less than two weeks and Jadeveon Clowney is not under contract. That could remain the case into the regular season and beyond.

According to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, the Texans pass rusher, who has yet to sign his franchise tag, is willing to miss regular-season games as he awaits a resolution to his contract situation.

"This one could go into the regular season," Garafolo said on NFL Total Access on Wednesday. "I know a lot of people are looking at this, saying is Jadeveon Clowney really going to punt on $1 million per week and sit out a game, two, three or whatever? Yeah, at least according to what he has told other people."

Garafolo added that Clowney has communicated to people that he is "hurt by the fact that the Texans are even entertaining trade offers."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001044763/article/jadeveon-clowney-could-miss-regularseason-games

Clowney controls this situation. Who is even calling the shots in Houston? (No GM, remember?) He'll decide where he will play and the Texans will get a bag of balls.

And I would love to have him with the Bills this year but I don't think I'd sign him after. He's motivated now. Not sure what happens once you pay him.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Clowney controls this situation. Who is even calling the shots in Houston? (No GM, remember?) He'll decide where he will play and the Texans will get a bag of balls.

Good for him. Texans did this to themselves by letting O’Brien run that team. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Unfortunately it's too wayyy risky without knowing for sure that once Clowney signs a massive contract, that he's going to continue to work as hard/harder that led him to this point.  Plus give up a good player.

2 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Yeah, no...

If O'Brien was the Bills coach, we'd all be wearing red, white and blue DeShaun Watson jerseys on Sundays right now.  A LOT of fans wanted Watson at 10 two years ago, and some still haven't forgiven McDermott for trading down and passing on him and Mahomes.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Yeah, but what do you do when your team is trying to trade you to Miami? I’d sit out too.

Show up and play and prove to other teams you're worth trading for.  Too much money to just leave on the table.  

1 hour ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

If O'Brien was the Bills coach, we'd all be wearing red, white and blue DeShaun Watson jerseys on Sundays right now.  A LOT of fans wanted Watson at 10 two years ago, and some still haven't forgiven McDermott for trading down and passing on him and Mahomes.

And Watson would be getting blasted by a ***** oline here too.

Live in the present man, lots of reasons to be excited for the team that actually is in reality 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hindsight is 20/20.  I'm happy with Josh Allen and think he will prove just how high his ceiling is during this season; no one will be looking back after this year.

WHAT IS BEANE WAITING FOR!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!??!?

Doubt Clowney wants to come here and it is doubtful that Beane wants to bring him here, especially if it is for a one year rental.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

walking from millions he will never get back.  

Nope.  Ryan Shazier comes to mind.  If he goes out and plays, gets hurt either the next contract is smaller or it may never come.  Its a matter of guaranteed money, 15 vs 60M

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I'm willing to bet that by "most Bills fans", you mean you and only you

I mean I didn’t wish for O’Brien but I don’t think there’s anyway you can say McDermott is a better coach at this point. 

18 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

And Watson would be getting blasted by a ***** oline here too.

Live in the present man, lots of reasons to be excited for the team that actually is in reality 

Watson still puts up monster numbers with a crap o line.  Dude is just a winner. 

Its funny because it was a consensus that Allen’s qb draft was better than Watson’s but 2018 has a long, long way to go to top 2017.

7 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Nope.  Ryan Shazier comes to mind.  If he goes out and plays, gets hurt either the next contract is smaller or it may never come.  Its a matter of guaranteed money, 15 vs 60M

Ryan Shazier is an extremely rare example that has happened a handful of times in the history of football. He was also under contract, not holding out. The true examples would be Earl Thomas and Le’Veon Bell. Thomas held out but ultimately caved and then got injured. Not just a small injury, a season ending injury. Guess what it cost him? Nothing. He still received his franchise tag salary and received a market value contract. He would have received the same contract regardless. Contrast that with Bell who held out and received less gtd money than Pitt was offering anyways. I would say it worked out better for the guy who didn’t hold out. If Clowney was that worried about it he can sign the tag, take his 15+ million and put some of it to an insurance policy through Lloyd’s of London. That way if he suffered the incredibly rare career ending injury on the tag his insurance would pick up the tab. 

Edited by Bills2ref

I'd be willing to bet that most Bills fans wished O'Brien was our coach, instead of McDermott.

If you're an idiot, you would wish that 

23 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Tell that to Ronin, ScottLaw, Mr. WEO and Zerovoltz

Are these wrestlers?  Never heard of them

you heard it here first, he's going to end up in New England.  Just a hunch

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Ryan Shazier exists in literally one out of a million case.  You think he isn't being taken care of by the Steelers anyways?

13 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

If you're an idiot, you would wish that 

Are these wrestlers?  Never heard of them

you heard it here first, he's going to end up in New England.  Just a hunch

Yup has Pat's written all over it.  Trade for player that will leave for a big contract after the season and get the compensatory draft pick.  

Just now, RyanC883 said:

Trent Williams for Clowney makes scene in a trade with Washington.  

Don't like seeing Jets listed there.  

Wash makes a lot of sense for both teams.

NYJ or MIA don't concern me that much honestly. I feel he would be a real nice piece for us, but at the same token this isn't LT, Bruce Smith, Reggie White or even Khalil Mack. In MIA he would be their entire defense. NYJ he could create some issues, but I still don't see Gase and Greggo being long term there that would last a full Clowney contract. JMO

Clowney says he is “hurt” and others like Bell have played a similar game.  What gets me is that the NFLPA agreed to the franchise tag system.  Now, individuals don’t want to live up to that group commitment.  Where does “hurting the fans” matter in any of this?  Houston is arguably a contender this year and Clowney is a part of this.  As a fan of a long suffering franchise it sucks to see that a single player can wreak havoc in the dynamics of this.

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Clowney says he is “hurt” and others like Bell have played a similar game.  What gets me is that the NFLPA agreed to the franchise tag system.  Now, individuals don’t want to live up to that group commitment.  Where does “hurting the fans” matter in any of this?  Houston is arguably a contender this year and Clowney is a part of this.  As a fan of a long suffering franchise it sucks to see that a single player can wreak havoc in the dynamics of this.

I see your point but the "tag" was instituted, at least in my understanding, for a team to have one last chance to sign a long term contract

with a big name free agent player.

I'm not sure how this whole thing happened.  Maybe it's true the BOB doesn't want to sign him and is only using him for a trade.

It seems to me that both players and teams have started to use the tag for reasons other than intended.

I'm sure this will be a major discussion in the new CBA.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Im wearing a red white and blue Allen jersey on Sunday’s 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Trent Williams for Clowney makes scene in a trade with Washington.  

Don't like seeing Jets listed there.  

It makes perfect sense for the teams, but does it for Clowney? Why would he want to play for a team known for rushing players back on the field after an injury before he's due for a big pay day?

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Wash makes a lot of sense for both teams.

NYJ or MIA don't concern me that much honestly. I feel he would be a real nice piece for us, but at the same token this isn't LT, Bruce Smith, Reggie White or even Khalil Mack. In MIA he would be their entire defense. NYJ he could create some issues, but I still don't see Gase and Greggo being long term there that would last a full Clowney contract. JMO

In absolutely amazed st how much some of you are overlooking the Jets.  Seems crazy to me. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

In absolutely amazed st how much some of you are overlooking the Jets.  Seems crazy to me. 

Their secondary stinks (aside from Adams) as they have a huge issue with CB. Their OL is also awful. Darnold should grow (I expect him to be good), Bell hasn't played in over 600 days and the OL is awful (did I mention this?? They had to beg Kalil out of retirement to play center)  and the blocking scheme is different then what Bell had in Pitt, how well all of this translates is a huge question mark. I am not a fan of Gase at all and am curious to see how him and Greggo work. They are not a powerhouse type of team IMO and they better hope that line doesn't get Darnold killed. I expect Gase to have a life expectancy close to Flores in MIA. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Ryan Shazier is an extremely rare example that has happened a handful of times in the history of football. He was also under contract, not holding out. The true examples would be Earl Thomas and Le’Veon Bell. Thomas held out but ultimately caved and then got injured. Not just a small injury, a season ending injury. Guess what it cost him? Nothing. He still received his franchise tag salary and received a market value contract. He would have received the same contract regardless. Contrast that with Bell who held out and received less gtd money than Pitt was offering anyways. I would say it worked out better for the guy who didn’t hold out. If Clowney was that worried about it he can sign the tag, take his 15+ million and put some of it to an insurance policy through Lloyd’s of London. That way if he suffered the incredibly rare career ending injury on the tag his insurance would pick up the tab. 

Other than both of your examples being wrong, you are exactly right.