Beane disappoints everyone and lands a future All Pro LT

We’re you excited with mark  Tranowicz in 1985 out of Nebraska.

If the TE is sitting there that is my pick. The bills probably won’t take one this early because of the free agent signings.

5 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Good one very good one but I dont see the similarities as prospects.  Joe Thomas was universally rated the top tackle in his draft nobody said he should kick into guard spots.  Joe was the exception not the rule.

How about Jason Peters? Jake Matthews? Taylor Lewan?

I wouldn't be disappointed with Jonah. I really like him as a prospect and think he's a 'process' guy through and through.

It's not a flashy pick, but not every pick can be flashy.

As much as I love the Beane machine, I would be ok with a lowkey draft. 

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

First off, I think the short arm thing is being over-evaluated right now and he will be a successful tackle in this league. But secondly, IF he were to be used at Guard and had a perennial all-pro type of career at that position, would you like the pick then? Or do you think #9 in round 1 is too high for a guard, even for that level of success?

Could also be smoke by teams who want him to make it to or past 9.

• Like (+1) 1

I've come around on Williams, honestly I think because I have a strong dislike for Dillard and I am hoping and praying we don't draft him. But anyway, if I draft Williams I'm probably sticking him at right guard and leaving Dawkins where he is. It is possible that Bobby Johnson doesn't like Dawkins, but that does not seem very likely. In theory though, if you draft Williams, perhaps you can get some value by trading Dion to the Panthers, who we jumped in front of to draft Dawkins, or even perhaps to the Giants. 

But if I'm going to draft an offensive linemen, I'd rather they just draft Hockenson and try something different. 

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Your guess is as good as anyone's but IMO in that scenario they pick Oliver. If he's gone, I'd love to see them pick Jonah. From what we've heard, Oliver argued with his coach one time, and the two made up almost instantly. I don't think that's a big problem at all.

Thurman for the win.

1 hour ago, dubs said:

I really DON’T want Jonah Williams. Can it a hunch or intuition, but just don’t think a guard at 9 is a good use of that pick. 

I completely disagree. Nine is too low for a guard.

Sincerely,

Quenton Nelson

(And, no, I'm not saying he's as good as Nelson)

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

When you have as bad an o line as we did last year nobody is upset 

Can't argue with that. If Oliver is taken, Williams will be just as good of a pick. Can't go wrong either way

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ExWNYer said:

I completely disagree. Nine is too low for a guard.

Sincerely,

Quenton Nelson

(And, no, I'm not saying he's as good as Nelson)

He could be. He’s never played Guard, has he? Tough to compare the two adequately.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

How would this disappoint?

He’s who I’d like to see us get.

Passing on both Oliver and Hockenson in my scenario would disappoint most if not all on this board in some manner. Many think one or both will be gone by 9, but in my scenario (guess) both are still there at 9. Many have said Oliver is their guy and I and others covet a star TE. 

I just have to believe McBeane is going to do everything to protect Josh. He is their future. They have added a ton of experience at RB and a bunch of bodies to the OL already that on paper appears to be a significant upgrade from 2018. I think they don’t stop and they add Jonah who can push for a starting job right away.  

Again I would go TE but they can address TE in the second round.

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1. Arizona - Murray

2. Raiders - Trade with San Francisco Bosa 

3. NY Jets - Allen 

4. San Francisco - Quinnen Williams

5. Tampa Bay - White

6.  NY Giants  - Sweat - this is my most unsure pick.  Sweat could go as high as 5 and fall as low as 25

7. Jacksonville - Taylor 

8. Detroit - Bush 

9. Buffalo - Jonah Williams

This is what I think will happen not what I would do if I was GM for most of these clubs.  I think Beane tries to trade down but can't find any suitors.  I believe McDermott does not want an undersized Oliver at DT that argued with his coach.  I think Dawkins took a step back in both run and pass blocking last year and Nsekhe is at best a one year retread rental at RT.  I believe Beane would be happy landing Taylor, Williams, or Dillard but loathes to do so at #9.  Lastly, while I would take Hockenson or Fant at #9, I think the board is probably correct in that teams just don't put first round grades on TE's that often and Beane won't either.  With the top 7 defenders off the board, Beane albeit reluctantly takes a future All-Pro LT.

Would not be shocked and would be OK with the pick. I have my own concerns, but Daboll would have the more complete book on this kid and if he has future HOF in him. Also, a lot of mocks have Dillard moving up boards after his private workouts so he could be in play too if they go LT.

Edited by WideNine

56 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

First off, I think the short arm thing is being over-evaluated right now and he will be a successful tackle in this league. But secondly, IF he were to be used at Guard and had a perennial all-pro type of career at that position, would you like the pick then? Or do you think #9 in round 1 is too high for a guard, even for that level of success?

That’s a lot of IFs and you can apply that to anybody. Would you rather have a perennial all pro penetrating DT, EDGE rusher, LT, TE, WR or Guard. 

I get what you are saying but you’re assuming that everyone else available at that spot won’t be good and he will. I think that’s a generous assumption. 

7 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard of an elite LT with short arms if there is 1 let me know either way there few and far in between. 

Inferring a player cant be good becasue their arms are 33 1/4 inches rather than 34 1/8 is the worst.  Football is a sport not an excell sheet

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

As long as he doesn't draft Dillard. That's where I am at. 

But I think the most likely outcome is some sort of trade down and Byron Murphy, or a guy like Cody Ford/Dalton Risner. 

Why would we draft a DB when we picked up 2 other potential starters this offseason, as well as Johnson and Wallace?

Edited by BillsMafia13

3 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Inferring a player cant be good becasue their arms are 33 1/4 inches rather than 34 1/8 is the worst.  Football is a sport not an excell sheet

Why would we draft a DB when we picked up 2 other potential starters this offseason?

They are only signed for 1 year, for one. And they are both hella injury prone. The draft is about building a team for now, and the future. Whoever they take in the 1st round will be here 4-5 years. “Needs” change in an instant, too.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, HeHateMe said:

Why though?  Just because of the Clemson game?

He “won” more reps in that game than Ferrell btw. The ones he lost were on full display had the ones he won weren’t because that’s the life of an OL. It was a great battle between two 1st round talents. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are only signed for 1 year, for one. The draft is about building a team for now, and the future. Whoever they take in the 1st round will be here 4-5 years. “Needs” change in an instant, too.

I expect Wallace and Johnson to improve if anything.  I also think McBeane has a solid crush on drafting in the front 7 on D so this is thier perfect opportunity.  They let JA run behind that paper bag of an oline last year, maybe they're content with who they have.  I love knowing I have 0 clue what to expect anymore

Edited by BillsMafia13

3 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I expect Wallace and Johnson to improve if anything.  I also think McBeane has a solid crush on drafting in the front 7 on D so this is thier perfect opportunity.  They let JA run behind that paper bag of an oline this year, maybe they're content with who they have.  I love knowing I have 0 clue what to expect anymore

Taron Johnson is a slot corner only. Wallace has a small sample size and was a UDFA for a reason. He struggled big time in the run game. Corners are Uber valuable. Expecting Wallace to improve and be able to assume that other spot is risky. I don’t expect a corner at 9 but I wouldn’t be surprised as early as the next pick. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

If Oliver's there, there's no way the Bills go with Williams, IMO.   

McD wants to fill that 3-technique hole in the worst way...

7 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard of an elite LT with short arms if there is 1 let me know either way there few and far in between. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/12020/daily-mailbag-the-insanity-of-short-arms

Joe Thomas was a unicorn.    More likely, Williams career would look a lot like Bryan Bulaga's, which is just average to OK (refuting this ESPN analysis from his draft year)...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Taron Johnson is a slot corner only. Wallace has a small sample size and was a UDFA for a reason. He struggled big time in the run game. Corners are Uber valuable. Expecting Wallace to improve and be able to assume that other spot is risky. I don’t expect a corner at 9 but I wouldn’t be surprised as early as the next pick. 

Im not saying we should turn away talent at any position, but if there is one area the bills definitely have depth and talent at is DB.  I just hope we dont pull the classic bills move of taking one early

Hmmm, I would hate it. Hope this scenario doesn’t play out as you described. If Oliver is there, I hope they take him. 9 is too early for Williams. My ideal scenario is some combination of Oliver, Hockenson , Fant and Nkeal Harry as the first two selections. Fant is a possible move down scenario. I think a move up from the Bills round 2 selection will be necessary to select Harry. The Bills need pass catchers to fix the offense and this would get it done imo. I think they e done enough in the offseason to bring the O line back to a respectable level. Hock/ Fant and Harry would set Allen up for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He “won” more reps in that game than Ferrell btw. The ones he lost were on full display had the ones he won weren’t because that’s the life of an OL. It was a great battle between two 1st round talents. 

Thats the classic OL scenario, isnt it?

An OT can own a guy all day, and shut him down for 3+ quarters. But then the DE wins ONE time, gets a sack on 3rd down, and gets up and dances, and it's all anyone remembers.

I think Williams is going to be a Kelvin Beachum-Eric Fisher type of tackle. Which to me, you don't draft in the top ten.He would probably be okay. I think he projects to be a good guard, not as good as Zach Martin, but maybe have a TJ Lang type of career. Again, you don't make that pick at 9. I think he would be an all pro center, top 10 type. His intelligence, footwork and agility project amazing there. But again, it's hard to justify in the top ten. I think it really depends what else is on the board. I think he could be the best center in the league eventually. 

Dillard, all I see is Jonathan Martin. A finesse player who is really soft and does not like to mix it up. I just don't see a heartbeat there. I don't see any edge in his play at all. I would hate the pick. I think he's a second rounder at best. With all off the power players we have added in Spain, Long, Feliciano, Nsekhe, Waddle...I really hope we are not interested in this guy. 

Taylor I could live with because I think he has the chance to be the best right tackle in the league who could possibly play left tackle. 

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thats the classic OL scenario, isnt it?

An OT can own a guy all day, and shut him down for 3+ quarters. But then the DE wins ONE time, gets a sack on 3rd down, and gets up and dances, and it's all anyone remembers.

It's true. That's why PFF is flawed though. I don't believe you can just look at an overall grade. As an OL coach, I need the guy to be able to block the other team's best player at the most important, nerve racking moments of the game. He can't give up the game changing sack. That's what makes a guy elite or not elite. Offensive play callers call plays assuming their left tackle is going to stone the other team's best rusher.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1. Arizona - Murray

2. Raiders - Trade with San Francisco Bosa 

3. NY Jets - Allen 

4. San Francisco - Quinnen Williams

5. Tampa Bay - White

6.  NY Giants  - Sweat - this is my most unsure pick.  Sweat could go as high as 5 and fall as low as 25

7. Jacksonville - Taylor 

8. Detroit - Bush 

9. Buffalo - Jonah Williams

This is what I think will happen not what I would do if I was GM for most of these clubs.  I think Beane tries to trade down but can't find any suitors.  I believe McDermott does not want an undersized Oliver at DT that argued with his coach.  I think Dawkins took a step back in both run and pass blocking last year and Nsekhe is at best a one year retread rental at RT.  I believe Beane would be happy landing Taylor, Williams, or Dillard but loathes to do so at #9.  Lastly, while I would take Hockenson or Fant at #9, I think the board is probably correct in that teams just don't put first round grades on TE's that often and Beane won't either.  With the top 7 defenders off the board, Beane albeit reluctantly takes a future All-Pro LT.

I think categorizing Jonah as a future All-Pro is a massive stretch...

Jonah was a very good College LT, maybe the best in College football last year...He's a real good technician who will be solid, no question...But All-Pro? That's basically saying he's going to be the best LT in football...That's a MAJOR leap considering his comps are more in the Riley Reiff, Bryan Bulaga area...

I like Jonah...I really do...But we'll see...There are plenty of evaluators out there who think he'll eventually land at OG...So...One step at a time...?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Your guess is as good as anyone's but IMO in that scenario they pick Oliver. If he's gone, I'd love to see them pick Jonah. From what we've heard, Oliver argued with his coach one time, and the two made up almost instantly. I don't think that's a big problem at all.

There no way on Gods green earth that Beane takes Jonah over Oliver/ Hock.  Not happening!

4 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I think categorizing Jonah as a future All-Pro is a massive stretch...

Jonah was a very good College LT, maybe the best in College football last year...He's a real good technician who will be solid, no question...But All-Pro? That's basically saying he's going to be the best LT in football...That's a MAJOR leap considering his comps are more in the Riley Reiff, Bryan Bulaga area...

I like Jonah...I really do...But we'll see...There are plenty of evaluators out there who think he'll eventually land at OG...So...One step at a time...?

Yeah I'm not thrilled with Dawkins but I think his ceiling is as high as Jonah Williams at LT and HIGHER at guard.

If I am taking a LT that early I don't want a "solid" one...........I want one I won't mind giving a $100M contract extension to after 4 years..

The whole 5th year option and the escalating AAV's on contracts of edge players is an evolving factor in how teams should use first round picks...........you really want the massive ceiling with a top 10 pick...........you don't want to pay a Bulaga $18M per year just because you don't want to go from OK to nothing.        

• Like (+1) 4