LB - Starters/Depth - Is more needed?

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Some of the responses are interesting.  I don't see this is as a big need at all.

At least not before the 3rd-4th Round.

With the amount we are in nickel defense, you are only going to see two linebackers on the field most of the time. 

And unlike the D-Line, you don't see a heavy rotation at linebacker.  Barring injury, the starters will play 95%+ of the snaps.

Backup linebackers are mostly used for special teams.

-  In my opinion, Matt Milano has flashed big-time playmaking ability in his first two years.  I'm absolutely shocked that some people think he should be upgraded.  We should be set here for the next several years, and I can't believe it's even a question.

-  Tremaine Edmunds definitely had struggles as a rookie.  But it should have been expected from someone with his experience.  He definitely improved as the year goes along, and I think he makes a huge jump this year.  Again, I find it shocking how quickly some fans want to move-on from young players.

-  Lorenzo Alexander is aging, so I definitely wouldn't mind grooming someone behind him.  But I can't see using a really high draft pick on someone.  Taking someone like Devon White would be a waste.  The only reason Alexander even plays the number of snaps (I think he was around 60 percent) is because of his versatility.  He was a chess piece for McDermott.  Would another SLB be flexible to also play DE and DT?

Tremaine Edmunds is what they want in a MLB - fast enough to go sideline to sideline and any idea of moving him to OLB, even SOLB to cover TEs, is dead IMO.

Matt Milano is the player you put behind a NT size DT and let him go where his instincts tell him to go with rest of team needing to understand his role and play off it or not be on the field.

Lorenzo Alexander is exactly what you say he is - a versatile player, experience gained from actually playing different positions, who is very smart and adaptable.  While he has less miles on him than average player his age I'd hope Bills can find someone who can take more of his reps so when he is active he makes a difference and actually is a player offenses need to account for.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe it's Julian Sanford, and yes, depth at linebacker is probably the area of the team where the need is greatest.  We sill could use a solid rotational player at 3 Tech and defensive end on the defensive line, but other than those  areas, we could probably go into the team and be reasonably comfortable.   Yes, I know you should always try to upgrade wherever you can, but those areas look to me as id the areas with the most acute needs.

There are a few super obvious adds available imo.

First is DJ Alexander. He is an ace special teamer and has been for a few years. He's been around a bit, but he's great on teams. He's  a former teammate of Jordan Poyer at Oregon state. He's probably a will linebacker and can backup Milano while playing great on special teams. Plus we'd corner the market on Alexanders. 

Second is Kyle Emanuel, formerly of the Chargers. Plays SAM backer and could backup inside as well. Can rush the passer a bit. Former NDSU alum is pretty close with Bob Babich. Can actually play defense and is an ace special teamer. 

Another is Kevin Pierre-Louis. Kind of a poor man's Matt Milano. Smallish speedy linebacker who is very good on special teams. Former BC alum has been around the league, but has been very good depth and a very good special teamer. Former teammate of special teams coach Heath Farwell. l

Cassius Marsh, former Niner, Pat, Seahawk. The dude is a tweener Sam/defensive end like Lorax. He'd be the perfect guy to groom at that spot. Seems like he's been around forever, but he's still just 26. He's  also a willing wspecial teamer and doesn't like the Patriots. He's a former teammate of special teams coordinator Heath Farwell as well.

Last, former Pat and Raven Albert McClellan is a backup linebacker who has been a beast special teamer for years. He's also on the older end. The rest of these guys are in that 25-27 range.

Any two of these guys would make our depth much better and improve special teams. With Marsh you get a pass rusher as well. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They need an edge rusher more than a true linebacker. They play nickel 60% of the time and need a player that can replace Lorax as an edge rusher but who can stay on the field at OLB in the base defense when needed. Top 4 need in the draft along with TE, OT, and DT

Old school linebackers simply aren't as important as they used to be. What you want is guys that are decent in run support, but above average in coverage. Essentially glorified safeties. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a coverage linebacker, but edge rusher is lightyears more important. You win by consistently getting in the opposing QB's mug. Outside of a couple games, we didn't do that last season.

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

First is DJ Alexander. He is an ace special teamer and has been for a few years. He's been around a bit, but he's great on teams. He's  a former teammate of Jordan Poyer at Oregon state. He's probably a will linebacker and can backup Milano while playing great on special teams. Plus we'd corner the market on Alexanders. 

Second is Kyle Emanuel, formerly of the Chargers. Plays SAM backer and could backup inside as well. Can rush the passer a bit. Former NDSU alum is pretty close with Bob Babich. Can actually play defense and is an ace special teamer. 

Another is Kevin Pierre-Louis. Kind of a poor man's Matt Milano. Smallish speedy linebacker who is very good on special teams. Former BC alum has been around the league, but has been very good depth and a very good special teamer. Former teammate of special teams coach Heath Farwell. 

Cassius Marsh, former Niner, Pat, Seahawk. The dude is a tweener Sam/defensive end like Lorax. He'd be the perfect guy to groom at that spot. Seems like he's been around forever, but he's still just 26. He's  also a willing special teamer and doesn't like the Patriots. He's a former teammate of special teams coordinator Heah Farwell. 

Last, former Pat and Raven Albert McClellan is a backup linebacker who has been a beast special teamer for years. He's also on the older end. The rest of these guys are in that 25-27 range.

Any two of these guys would make our depth much better and improve special teams. With Marsh you get a pass rusher as well. 

Great analysis of what's out there.  Appreciate the time and effort to put this together.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, H2o said:

It's a different NFL now. Nothing is really a "run down" anymore. 

I think Bennett would be awesome in today's NFL. Don't forget, he played olb in a 3-4 defense. Not really a fit in our current scheme though.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Another is Kevin Pierre-Louis. Kind of a poor man's Matt Milano. Smallish speedy linebacker who is very good on special teams. Former BC alum has been around the league, but has been very good depth and a very good special teamer. Former teammate of special teams coach Heath Farwell. l

Cassius Marsh, former Niner, Pat, Seahawk. The dude is a tweener Sam/defensive end like Lorax. He'd be the perfect guy to groom at that spot. Seems like he's been around forever, but he's still just 26. He's  also a willing wspecial teamer and doesn't like the Patriots. He's a former teammate of special teams coordinator Heath Farwell as well.

Thanks for all the FA looks.  I still want Beane to sign a depth guy.  I will check them out.........I was looking at Cassius Marsh and wondering would he be

depth for Lorax too.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Old school linebackers simply aren't as important as they used to be. What you want is guys that are decent in run support, but above average in coverage. Essentially glorified safeties. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a coverage linebacker, but edge rusher is lightyears more important. You win by consistently getting in the opposing QB's mug. Outside of a couple games, we didn't do that last season.

That's why I added Maurice Alexander to the list as a Hybrid.   I'm wondering too if he can fill that role.

I really can't remember seeing him play, I need to go back to the signing thread of his and read up about him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I expect for us to draft at least 2.  Devin White would be tremendous at 9.  Could play mike and will in our defense, IMO.

Last thing in the world they want this  year is to spend the season breaking in a new guy as the defensive play caller. If they thought they could stash White a year or two elsewhere and then move him in when he's seasoned, that would make sense.

If they think he can play Will for a year or two this would make more sense. I think he might be a pure MIke, though. Not sure of that at all but that's my suspicion of how they view him.

I do expect them to draft an LB or two, though not Devin White. We'll see.

29 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks for all the FA looks.  I still want Beane to sign a depth guy.  I will check them out.........I was looking at Cassius Marsh and wondering would he be

depth for Lorax too.

That's why I added Maurice Alexander to the list as a Hybrid.   I'm wondering too if he can fill that role.

I really can't remember seeing him play, I need to go back to the signing thread of his and read up about him.

For sure. I'm intrigued by that signing, especially since the rest of the backup LB's are pretty one dimensional.

• Like (+1) 1

The answer is simple.  Bean will do what he did before.  Trade-up for Josh Allen! 

In all seriousness, I do think we need more depth and an Alexander replacement.  I could see Walker from GA or Joseph form FL in a 3-5 round range.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Last thing in the world they want this  year is to spend the season breaking in a new guy as the defensive play caller. If they thought they could stash White a year or two elsewhere and then move him in when he's seasoned, that would make sense.

If they think he can play Will for a year or two this would make more sense. I think he might be a pure MIke, though. Not sure of that at all but that's my suspicion of how they view him.

I do expect them to draft an LB or two, though not Devin White. We'll see.

Yeah, I agree not the likely play here.  Unless they want to move Tremaine to SOLB, and Lorax to DE.  Obviously not an area of need, but the kid is hella talented.  Might be hard to pass up on him.  To your point about having to groom a different “QB of the defense,” I agree that this would be less than ideal.

I honestly think it’s going to be edge or DT if we stay at 9.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Technically it's Stanford, but yes is definitely not Stafford. 

Oops! You're right.  It's terribly embarrassing to correct somebody and still get it wrong.  STANFORD and Lacey are both good athletes, but have never stood out at linebacker.  It would be nice if we had guys who could play special teams AND play a position well if need be.

• Like (+1) 1

I see LB as a draft depth need. I think in the 4th or 5th round they draft a LB. They found Milano in round 5, so I think given that there is no intimidate need for a LB in terms of starting I think they can address the position well enough in round 4 or 5 (where the team has 4 picks.) The depth needs of this team to me are primarily at RB (Gore and Shady are ancient definitely need to spend a pick somewhere between rounds 3 and 5 on a RB,) LB (Not much behind the 3 starters and there needs to be an heir apparent behind Lorax,) and Safety (I am not sure what we have behind the two starters.)

Luckily the team has plenty of picks in the mid rounds to address this. 

8 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

All this LB talk got me thinking about Cornelius Bennett.  He played OLB on run downs and on passing downs, he often lined up as a pass rusher opposite Bruce Smith.

Is there anyone in this year's draft that has Bennett skill set or could Edmunds be this guy?  Im guessing they would have to a get a MLB to free up Edmunds.

To be fair, that was a 3-4 alignment, technically. So a longer, pass-rushing OLB who could also set the edge was instrumental. 

The Bills current D is different, in many ways. I'm sure you know that, though, and of course a #2 overall talent like #97, on the field, has a home in really any scheme/alignment. 

17 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I still could see them consider a LB early- Devin White at 9 isn’t out of the question, though I think they will lean DL there.  Easily could see LB in round 2 or 3.

I can't at all see that. I would be willing to put money on it. And I'm cheap I won't even pay for extra Guac. That's telling you something. 

On 3/25/2019 at 2:54 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Starters Matt Milano - Tremaine Edmunds - Lorenzo Alexander

Depth :  Julian Stafford, Deon Lacey, Corey Thompson

Possible Hybrid :  Maurice Alexander

Lorax, Stafford, Maurice Alexander and Lacey are FAs next year.

First off I am a little shocked Beane hasn't signed a decent depth/possible starter FA yet.

Is it because McDermott has very specific requirements or just couldn't get anyone to sign?

Will Beane still sign a decent depth LB, if so who would fit?

Secondly with the FA signing so far at other positions does this put LB in the top 4 rounds of the draft?

Personally I see LB now as the riskiest group on D and I don't think the depth at LB will get it done.

Bear,Alexander will not be a starter this year...draft a inside guy high..move Edmunds to the outside spot.In addition,not one of the current back-ups should be on the roster come September.90 million and ten draft picks coming into this off season...the corps won't be ignored any longer...McDermott won't allow it.

JMHO's.

Peace.

2020 FA LB class is nice.

1. Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks

2. Deion Jones, Atlanta Falcons

3. Shaq Thompson, Carolina Panthers

4. Joe Schobert, Cleveland Browns

5. Blake Martinez, Green Bay Packers

4 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Bear,Alexander will not be a starter this year...draft a inside guy high..move Edmunds to the outside spot.In addition,not one of the current back-ups should be on the roster come September.90 million and ten draft picks coming into this off season...the corps won't be ignored any longer...McDermott won't allow it.

JMHO's.

Peace.

Interesting input, not sure about them moving Edmunds.  I guess we'll all know at draft time what is planned.  I tend to agree about the backups.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:00 PM, XABI64 said:

Finally someone talking about our LB's 

I felt like I was the only one who thought we needed to address the position. Last year we had one of the worst LB groups in the league. Milano is a great player but he isn't a top 10-15 ranked guy at the position. When McD was in Carolina he had the best LB core in the league. LB's are the MOST important position in his scheme. The fact we have yet to address the position this offseason tells me that might be the pick in round 1. Edmunds is still learning and we still don't know if he is able to play in that MLB role. 

Our poor run defense didn't come from the dline, it was b/c our LB's are not good. 

Jamie Collins is a free agent we should pick him up.  He can play multiple positions for us or sign Dion Jordan put him under Lorax tutelage for a season.  U also have MLBs like Brandon Marshall and Zach Brown 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I agree that we need LB.  But IMO Beane is looking for 3 starters in this draft, leading me to believe those will be first 3 picks.   OT, DT/Edge, TE I am fairly certain will be first 3 selections, and all 3 would have shot to start

56 minutes ago, Pete said:

I agree that we need LB.  But IMO Beane is looking for 3 starters in this draft, leading me to believe those will be first 3 picks.   OT, DT/Edge, TE I am fairly certain will be first 3 selections, and all 3 would have shot to start

You aren't going to fix it all in one year, IMO unless LB is a BPA when we are on the clock we will end up with DT, Edge, TE, OL before an LB. I agree

15 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Jamie Collins is a free agent we should pick him up.  He can play multiple positions for us or sign Dion Jordan put him under Lorax tutelage for a season.  U also have MLBs like Brandon Marshall and Zach Brown 

????

????

No offense, but the guy is hot garbage.

Marshall is older (we already got Zo). I do like Brown, always thought he was a good player.

Edited by billsbackto81

IDK why everyone is so obsessed with moving Edmunds and/ replacing MM this offseason. I can’t see any reason why the team would be looking to upgrade at their spots this year. Edmunds made a substantial amount of rookie mistakes with fills and seemed to lack strength and leverage at times while taking on blockers. The flipside is that his height and athleticism need to be game planned for because of the amount of area he can take up in zone coverage. 

Now... If Edmunds doesn’t improve at MLB or Milano ends up getting injured again I can see them taking care of that in 2020 by using a 1st on a LBer. Until then they’ll be looking at depth and a possible Alexander replacement. That said, they like competition so I could easily see them going LB in the 3rd or even moving up to the late second if someone they have a hard-on for falls. 

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:31 AM, BillsFan1988 said:

Surprised Collins isn't signed.  I wonder if he isn't asking for too much $'s?

Lorax is a dinosaur who's lost a step (obviously he's ancient) and when he regresses more he's a liability, but even if he stays at the same level, he's not good in coverage.

Milano looked awesome, but that injury sucked, and who knows if he'll be back to full effectiveness.

The depth behind them is worrisome.

Unfortunately it's a terrible lb draft.

On 3/25/2019 at 4:07 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

They need an edge rusher more than a true linebacker. They play nickel 60% of the time and need a player that can replace Lorax as an edge rusher but who can stay on the field at OLB in the base defense when needed. Top 4 need in the draft along with TE, OT, and DT

I feel like Tremaine Edmunds was made for this role.  Sliding him to SLB and inserting Devin White at MLB with a 3-tech added in the second would take this defense over the top.  We'd still have Hughes, Shaq, and Murphy at DE this year and can address that situation next off-season.

Edited by Bills Survivor

2 hours ago, Bills Survivor said:

I feel like Tremaine Edmunds was made for this role.  Sliding him to SLB and inserting Devin White at MLB with a 3-tech added in the second would take this defense over the top.  We'd still have Hughes, Shaq, and Murphy at DE this year and can address that situation next off-season.

Your assessment is correct but I dont see them moving Edmunds from MLB. I think Edmunds could be an All-pro at SLB. He got better as the season wore on at MLB and he is so young for the role they thrust him into.  Allen and Edmunds will determine the fate of Beane and McD.

I think more depth is needed.  A younger Sam is definitely needed.  Does the modern day SAM

actually exist?  With the offense still lacking talent compared to the defense I wouldn't want Buffalo doing anything at LB til day 3.  I can concede at 9 the most impactful football player could very well be an edge rusher or DT.  If they do that I would like the next 3 picks go to the offense.  Whether its Rb,we, te, Oline I dont really care but young talent is needed at any of those spots. Going defense, defense holds the offense back too much imo.  

Edited by Mat68

I think there are a bunch of young, fast, smaller linebackers that will be available in the later rounds of the draft, where you can easily add some depth. 

As for replacing Lorax at SAM, i think the McBeane will go after Shaq Thompson who is playing on a 5th year option and is set to be an UFA next offseason.