Free Agency Fool’s Gold

OldTimer1960

Here is a summary of this year’s FAs.  I don’t see much there to overspend on and get excited about.  I trust this F.O. to spend judiciously and find a few contributors, but I don’t see it is as a good plan to spend $60mill in cap space for any group of these guys.  These are gap fillers, not game changers.

I see no attainable long-term starters that are real significant starters.  I’d rather find a way to get more premium draft picks (top 64) than to spend heavily on any of these guys. Can they trade down in round one and nab another 2nd?  Can they trade up from the 3rd for another 2nd?  Can they trade 2 4ths for a late 3rd?  Can they get a 2nd or 3rd in trade for a player currently on the roster?

Money aside, what 2 or 3 FAs can you see in this class that are really top 1/3 of the league starters at their position?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018706/article/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2019-demarcus-lawrence-at-no-1

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Here is a summary of this year’s FAs.  I don’t see much there to overspend on and get excited about.  I trust this F.O. to spend judiciously and find a few contributors, but I don’t see it is as a good plan to spend $60mill in cap space for any group of these guys.  These are gap fillers, not game changers.

I see no attainable long-term starters that are real significant starters.  I’d rather find a way to get more premium draft picks (top 64) than to spend heavily on any of these guys. Can they trade down in round one and nab another 2nd?  Can they trade up from the 3rd for another 2nd?  Can they trade 2 4ths for a late 3rd?  Can they get a 2nd or 3rd in trade for a player currently on the roster?

Money aside, what 2 or 3 FAs can you see in this class that are really top 1/3 of the league starters at their position?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018706/article/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2019-demarcus-lawrence-at-no-1

Nothing has really changed for us free agency will never buy us a trophy and from the looks of it no one else for that matter. Only we should understand that organizationally and take advantage of its uses. Use it to fill in the overall depth of the roster and patch some holes. Our difference makers will come thru the draft. 

Even if they're was top notch elite players available they most likely wouldn't sign with us anyways. Especially the skill position players those guys never sign with us. Now adding some O-Line and even players on the defensive side of the ball that should be our main focus . Then we can turn our attention to the draft to get the stud, Wrs, TEs and RBs.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

I'm not sure that we need top 1/3rd.  In a few cases, we could do with mildly competent.

True, but at what price?  If you pay mildly competent players big money, you will end up right back in the hole they just dug themselves out of (IMHO).

• Like (+1) 1

I think Beane and McD have a pretty well defined strategy.  They want to build using the draft as their primary tool and use FA to get solid contributors.  The guy from the Jets is a prime example, James if they get him from the Steelers.  Solid reliable pickups that aren't big money but represent upgrades.

• Like (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

What matters is the way this organization structures contracts not necessarily how much they pay yearly to individual players. 

Respectfully disagree.  Overpaying for a year or two stop-gap sets up a bad scenario for the truly good young players on your roster at contract time.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Respectfully disagree.  Overpaying for a year or two stop-gap sets up a bad scenario for the truly good young players on your roster at contract time.

Why the negative pov . Haven't u said u trust McBeane to make the right decisions? Plus if we hit on some of these so called overpaid guys u can look at it this way maybe it saves our young core . How u ask well we need to start winning and bring in whoever help us with that because if we don't well then we all seen what happens all to well. People get fired regimes change and with that comes major changes to the roster. 

Free agency the draft & trade market are all very delicate but necessary parts of team building.  McBeane needs to find that balance and bring in the right guys to complement each other.

9 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Draft them high and as often as necessary.  It's a no brainer if you can fill some of the other holes with free agents.

I see it the other way when it comes to O-Lineman buy em in free agency and use mid rds pks to develop them for the future.

Just look at this yrs free agency for example spending on the O-line players that are available is better value then the Wrs and TEs.

Edited by BillsFan1988
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Why the negative pov . Haven't u said u trust McBeane to make the right decisions? Plus if we hit on some of these so called overpaid guys u can look at it this way maybe it saves our young core . How u ask well we need to start winning and bring in whoever help us with that because if we don't well then we all seen what happens all to well. People get fired regimes change and with that comes major changes to the roster. 

Free agency the draft & trade market are all very delicate but necessary parts of team building.  McBeane needs to find that balance and bring in the right guys to complement each other.

....not to mention they need to stagger contracts on their young players in order to fill out a  sustainable corp...so far, so good. hopefully, they get quality free agents in the mid 20's ish and when it's time to move on from them the rookies will be up for 2nd contracts.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Getting one of the top 2 centers (Paradis or Morse) should be our top goal for free agency. After that everything else is just icing on the cake.

Real benefit of Gostkowski has been an extra roster spot every game since he handles both kicking and punting.

Edit: He only did it a few times. Pats have a punter.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

We should get Gostkowski just to piss off NE.  Plus he's actually an upgrade from Hauska.

At this point I do not think he is an upgrade over Haushka in kicking.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

I know I’ll get railed for this, but I’d love to see Adrian Peterson on the Bills. The guy is an athlete for the ages and broke like a ~90 yard TD last year. We could probably get him dirt cheap and believe it or not I think he could help open up the deep ball for Allen.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Getting one of the top 2 centers (Paradis or Morse) should be our top goal for free agency. After that everything else is just icing on the cake.

Real benefit of Gostkowski has been an extra roster spot every game since he handles both kicking and punting.

At this point I do not think he is an upgrade over Haushka in kicking

Gostkowski is a placekicker only.  Pats have a left footed punter Ryan Allen 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t know Oldtimer. I have watched the Saints do it for YEARS. The NFL salary cap is designed to allow you to kick the can down the road. There is really no such thing as “cap trouble” unless you are inept. You can make any move that you want a reality. Every team has some places that they can “manipulate” if need be to get whomever. The Charles Clay release is a perfect example. If the Bills were strapped the Clay savings ($4.5M) could get them a competent starter(s) elsewhere. That savings alone could give the Bills something like Eiffert and Jordan Phillips. That is without ever touching the previous space.

To take it a step further the Bills could release Shady and the savings from Shady and Clay could get you Le’Veon Bell (if you wanted). It is all about contract structure. That’s what the Saints have figured out. They just keep pushing everything into the future because their window is open. You keep it going as long as you can and then you hit the reset button. You are fine a year later. The capologists know EXACTLY how to work the cap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know Oldtimer. I have watched the Saints do it for YEARS. The NFL salary cap is designed to allow you to kick the can down the road. There is really no such thing as “cap trouble” unless you are inept. You can make any move that you want a reality. Every team has some places that they can “manipulate” if need be to get whomever. The Charles Clay release is a perfect example. If the Bills were strapped the Clay savings ($4.5M) could get them a competent starter(s) elsewhere. That savings alone could give the Bills something like Eiffert and Jordan Phillips. That is without ever touching the previous space.

To take it a step further the Bills could release Shady and the savings from Shady and Clay could get you Le’Veon Bell (if you wanted). It is all about contract structure. That’s what the Saints have figured out. They just keep pushing everything into the future because their window is open. You keep it going as long as you can and then you hit the reset button. You are fine a year later. The capologists know EXACTLY how to work the cap.

Which is exactly why this "cap crisis" was manufactured and completely unnecessary.  Beane wasted an entire year shedding talent and scapegoating the prior regime whose players (with notable additions Hyde, White, Poyer by McD)  made the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This. The objective is not to accumulate massive amounts of cap space. Successful teams generally just tinker around to stay under. I think we've become a bit obsessed with cap space. I'd like to see McBeane scour free agency to replace the talent they jettisoned for guys that fit the process. I'm not really concerned with the cap.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Beane overspent on Murphy, Ivory, and Star.  Bodine contract was ok as was the McCarron contract even if both players weren't that good.  Star played well enough to forgive the dollar amount.  Ivory's and Murphy's production could have been equaled with far less dollars (hell UDFA's for that matter) and that in turn could have given them a chance to go after another WR or OLB.   

• Like (+1) 1

We need to chill a little bit on the so called list of free agents.  There will be cap casualties and new coaches cutting players that don't fit new schemes.  There are always players that are surprise releases.  I don't expect a bunch of top tier players to become available.  There will be a fair number of players available that will be an upgrade over what we already have.  I just hope that Beane doesn't spend the cap money unwisely but still goes after players to fill important holes.  As some have already said, the real difference makers for the long term will come via the draft.

If the front office people are doing their jobs, they know more about potential cuts than some sports reporter putting together a list.

• Thank you (+1) 1

True, but at what price?  If you pay mildly competent players big money, you will end up right back in the hole they just dug themselves out of (IMHO).

I'd look for young guys that aren't gonna break the bank, yet are still upgrades to our huge gaps.  We should be fine if we just bring the roster to a competent level in areas of glaring need, and use the draft to pick up more stars.

2 Centers and one guard as well as a RT.  One TE and a bunch of defenders.  Now Tags and extensions may change that.

Just now, stuvian said:

I'd gladly take a flyer on DJ Fluker and Donte Moncrief. 

These 2 can be excellent value additions.  TY Neshke bkup LT from the Skins can also be a good find . He's started a few gms these last 2 yrs and graded out very well. Although he's gonna be 33yrs old doesn't have alot of wear and tear could be another Zo type for us.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

We should get Gostkowski just to piss off NE.  Plus he's actually an upgrade from Hauska.

Gostkowski wasnt good the second half of last year: Hauska had an off year due to poor overalls special teams and multiple holders. Plus he got his bell rung and that didn’t help matters either. Hauska will be just fine imo.

37 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

Give me:

- Paradis

- Tyrell Williams 

- Anthony Barr

- Daryl Williams

and I would feel pretty good heading into the draft.  Richardson and Ansah as a bonus would elate me

And Jesse James...I wouldnt mind Ingram or Yelton either.

Darryl Williams RT from Carolina is the most interesting of the bunch.  Beane was in Carolina when they drafted him and during his first 2 years.  He’s a 26 year old All Pro coming off an injury.  It’s understandable if Carolina doesn’t want to give him a big contract, but Bills have the cap space to gamble on a guy like this.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Darryl Williams RT from Carolina is the most interesting of the bunch.  Beane was in Carolina when they drafted him and during his first 2 years.  He’s a 26 year old All Pro coming off an injury.  It’s understandable if Carolina doesn’t want to give him a big contract, but Bills have the cap space to gamble on a guy like this.  

I think everyone will be shocked if Buffalo doesn’t sign him very quickly once FA starts 

My list

- Paradis

- Daryl Williams/ Ju'wan Taylor

- Jesse James

That's about it. I'd be happy picking up someone like Thomas Davis as well and I'm sure we'll sign some depth, but the 3 guys up top fill needs that would allow us to draft BPA. You can pick up a G in the 3rd or 4th that should represent starting value. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

They don't have to be BIG NAME guys to contribute and play well. When they signed Hyde and Poyer everyone was a bit "meh" and they were seen as stop gaps until the following years draft. Turns out they've been great for us. It's all about finding guys who fit the system well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not saying that there are no decent FAs available nor am I saying they should not sign any FAs.  However, I don't think that they should go out and spend 80% of their available cap space - mostly because there aren't that many good FAs available.  I hope that they can find one or two players to help the OL and maybe a few decent backup/rotational players - all of whom have to fit the McDermott/Beane culture.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Brandon Beane made his plan very clear.  The main reason he purged the salary cap were for:

1.  Freedom in pursuing guys they like in Free Agency (not necessarily going on a spending spree)

2.  Being able to re-sign their own drafted talent down the road

This front office still plans on building the roster through the draft.

One of the keys to not getting screwed in Free Agency is in how you structure the contract.  For all the complaints about us "overpaying" for Star Lotulelei, we can actually get out of the last two years very easily.  We could technically cut Trent Murphy right now and not suffer much cap hit at all.

Center

Defensive depth

Thats all we are getting in FA because thats all we will need. 

When Beaner trades back we will get a 2nd and a 3rd.  Thats two per round 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.  A dozen picks in all.

This year's free agent class is lame compared to the exceptional college talent pool this draft.