Jets expected to fire Todd Bowles

CommonCents

12 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Not sure this needs its own thread, kinda seems like common cents

It’s a team from the same division as the Bills. It’s certainly worth a discussion. Much more important than any mock drafts and player over player decisions when it’s still December.

I’m willing to bet that anyone that understands good teams from bad ones is paying attention to this. My guess is the Jets go for an offensive minded coach, Mike McCarthy back in green? 

I think Bowles was pretty good until the team quit on him. The OC looked the part, I wonder what happens with him. 

2 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

It’s a team from the same division as the Bills. It’s certainly worth a discussion. Much more important than any mock drafts and player over player decisions when it’s still December.

I’m willing to bet that anyone that understands good teams from bad ones is paying attention to this. My guess is the Jets go for an offensive minded coach, Mike McCarthy back in green? 

I think Bowles was pretty good until the team quit on him. The OC looked the part, I wonder what happens with him. 

I think it was just a bad joke.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

No disrespect to you, but my post was 1) a play on your screen name and 2) stating the obvious. The writing has been on the wall for weeks, despite what management may have said. 

Just now, SDS said:

I think it was just a bad joke.

Thank you. Wait, what?! 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, WMDman said:

i think this is a mistake, hes done a lot with minimal talent and the jets, to their credit, are in just about every game they play.

Well, Bowles has had 4 years and 3 losing seasons, if they win the last game will be 3 years of 5-11.

TBH, I really think it's on Maccagnan and Johnson for not giving him a lot of talent.  They expected him to work with has-beens and scraps at QB.

Then, after this season when they finally got a guy who might amount to something at QB, great idea: fire the HC which will likely mean, a new OC.

How to Ruin a Young QB: Give him 3 OC's in 3 years (See Bradford, Sam; Smith, Alex).

If Bowles was on a short leash (Win or die) this season, IMO they should have kicked him to the curb and brought in someone new last off season, in the hope of giving a new HC/OC and QB several seasons to develop together.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, Bowles has had 4 years and 3 losing seasons, if they win the last game will be 3 years of 5-11.

TBH, I really think it's on Maccagnan and Johnson for not giving him a lot of talent.  They expected him to work with has-beens and scraps at QB.

Then, after this season when they finally got a guy who might amount to something at QB, great idea: fire the HC which will likely mean, a new OC.

How to Ruin a Young QB: Give him 3 OC's in 3 years (See Bradford, Sam; Smith, Alex).

If Bowles was on a short leash (Win or die) this season, IMO they should have kicked him to the curb and brought in someone new last off season, in the hope of giving a new HC/OC and QB several seasons to develop together.

You’re on the same page as me, I think. Bowles wasn’t a tire fire, if being judged by what he had to work with. Losing the OC who protected Darnold earlier in the season and then helped him develop chemistry with Anderson and others, is a win for everyone else in the AFC East. 

Shocked they kept him this year. He should ha I've been gone after last season, in my opinion.

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bingo. Should have reset everything if the plan was to bring in Darnold. Now Darnold will have to learn a whole new offense instead of focusing on just getting better. Coaching changes cause a lot of upheaval.

1 hour ago, WMDman said:

i think this is a mistake, hes done a lot with minimal talent and the jets, to their credit, are in just about every game they play.

We dont watch them weekly. I have 2 brothers and a few friends that are fans. They say he lost them lots of games the last few years.....to a man.

38 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

We dont watch them weekly. I have 2 brothers and a few friends that are fans. They say he lost them lots of games the last few years.....to a man.

That's probably true.

In which case, why keep him going into this season?  Clear the decks and bring in someone you'll give some time to, let Darnold develop with the same OC and system for a few years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Shocked they kept him this year. He should ha I've been gone after last season, in my opinion.

Bingo. Should have reset everything if the plan was to bring in Darnold. Now Darnold will have to learn a whole new offense instead of focusing on just getting better. Coaching changes cause a lot of upheaval.

And its not just an Offense, it's EVERYTHING from Training Camp, to how meetings are run, to film study, practice, etc.

Tough because I wouldn't want Bowles, but upheaval the top is never good.  They should have hit reset this year before they decided to draft a QB...

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's probably true.

In which case, why keep him going into this season?  Clear the decks and bring in someone you'll give some time to, let Darnold develop with the same OC and system for a few years.

I live in Jets country and that was the big head scratcher. You'd be hard pressed to find a Jets fan that has anything good to say about Bowles. 

There's been a lot of speculation about Mike McCarthy and also a recent report that they'll try to pry Harbaugh loose. But to your point I wonder if they'd consider elevating Bates for continuity. 

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I live in Jets country and that was the big head scratcher. You'd be hard pressed to find a Jets fan that has anything good to say about Bowles. 

There's been a lot of speculation about Mike McCarthy and also a recent report that they'll try to pry Harbaugh loose. But to your point I wonder if they'd consider elevating Bates for continuity. 

All of those options sound pretty terrible. 

Bring them on! :)

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WMDman said:

I agree the Jets usually play hard, but too many games like the recent one against GB where they blow a winnable game.

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Per NFL.com

I think the Jets are ahead of Buffalo in the rebuild process but this might be a mistake.

I don’t think this is a mistake.  If anything, it’s a good move for the Jets.  Bowles is a good DC, though I don’t think he’s very good as HC

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ruined?  Seems to me like both those QB’s had pretty decent careers

20 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I don’t think this is a mistake.  If anything, it’s a good move for the Jets.  Bowles is a good DC, though I don’t think he’s very good as HC

Exactly, Bradford made a ton of money and his issues in his career was that he couldnt stay healthy on the field. Smith wasnt great, but he also wasnt bad.

As for Bowles, if things arent working, sometimes it's good to pull the trigger sooner rather then later. Is it going to be worse for Darnold having to have another OC who may be better, or stick with one that isnt working?

Possible improvements to their coaching staff, and more money to spend in FA in a more desirable market. Good thing the Bill's have a couple extra picks this offseason......

8 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Yeah.  Neither were ruined but I'd consider Bradford a disappointment as the first pick in the draft.  Alex Smith has had an okay career after a slow start before having the fortune of playing for Harbaugh and then Reid.  Never made a Superbowl though and was eventually replaced by two younger QB's (Kaepernick, Mahomes).

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's probably true.

Getting a better coach beats the crap out of stability.  Case in point, Baker Mayfield doing a hell of lot better with a new staff than the original staff, and that was a midseason change. 

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Eventually. 

Smith took five years (4 seasons) to break 60% completions or throw more TD than INT.  Not what one wants from the #1 overall pick.

Bradford played decently his first year under OC Shurmur, then tots regressed with McDaniels and Schottenheimer, dropping below 60% completions for 2 years.

His 2nd season he had 6, count em, TDs in 10 games.  Again, not what one needs from the #1 overall pick

16 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Getting a better coach beats the crap out of stability.  Case in point, Baker Mayfield doing a hell of lot better with a new staff than the original staff, and that was a midseason change. 

I cant disagree, but why not pull the trigger last offseason?

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  Neither were ruined but I'd consider Bradford a disappointment as the first pick in the draft.  Alex Smith has had an okay career after a slow start before having the fortune of playing for Harbaugh and then Reid.  Never made a Superbowl though and was eventually replaced by two younger QB's (Kaepernick, Mahomes).

Fair enough, I just wouldn’t say either of them were “ruined” by any means.  I’m sure there are better examples of QB’s who have achieved less

5 hours ago, CommonCents said:

If the team quits on him then hes not a very good coach.

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Although the only difference for Mayfield was Jackson being gone and Greg being the HC. The rest of the guys remained the same IIRC. They dumped Jackson and re-arranged from 'deck chairs'

Offseason coaching changes usually involve the entire staff being overhauled and changed.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Although the only difference for Mayfield was Jackson being gone and Greg being the HC. The rest of the guys remained the same IIRC. They dumped Jackson and re-arranged from 'deck chairs'

Offseason coaching changes usually involve the entire staff being overhauled and changed.

It was Jackson and Haley who went. So there were changes on the offenseive coaching side. Those were the two building the game plans prior to their firing.