1st half thread: Wk 16 Bills at Patriots, 1 pm on CBS

Offensive play calling is what is killing us. We run on 1st down against stacked fronts with a bad running game that we have had all year

2nd and 9, run again against that same stacked front

Say what you want about this defense, I admit they are being gashed but they are also the reason why we are still in this game

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

The reason that wasn't a bad throw is that on that play the QB's task is to get the ball up in the air right over the target WR and Allen did just that.  On most Sunday's you'll see that pass completed at a very high rate.  My only issue with the throw is that it wasn't the right decision on 4th & 3.  On 3rd & 3 that's a GREAT throw! 

Right over the target receiver? Seriously? It wasn't at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Is it? Hit the hands. Should have been a 1st down at the goal line.

It was hitting the wrong side of Gilmore's back if Foster doesn't have to fully extend to get hands on the ball. Maybe could have caught it. Be nice to. But I wouldn't expect any receiver to consistently do that on a 4th down. that's not even close to hitting a guy in the hands.

I feel like a lotta people here haven’t watched any baseball games where outfielders lose the ball in the sun. You literally can’t see at all, and when it happens, the catch never happens. Has anyone making this (vacuous) criticism ever played outfield? Foster was looking right into the sun on that play. It was a great throw but still a no-chance play.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Nope. I want receivers that can bail us out on a few throws as much as anyone. That was a throw that needed exactly that.

Doesn't mean it's not a bad throw.

I'll take receivers that consistently catch easy passes, then we can work on tough catches.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Well the good news is Brady is done,  Father Time finally caught up.  The bad news is we need almost a total overhaul on offense.  Other than Allen, Dawkins and Foster rest needs a overhaul.

Dawkins is terrible.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes. It was behind and inside. It didn't "hit his hands" he got some hand on it while off balance. 

Bad throw.

He led it inside so the receiver could adjust to it. Foster didn't adjust properly.  Other teams run the same play all the time and the DB is in bad position taking away the deep route. Should have come up with it.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What flashes of hope? 

Allen’s perfect throws, both these caught and those dropped, including 2 potential TD’s. It’s all about the rookie QB this year. Nest year is about getting him help. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

It was man coverage, without seeing what other receivers were running, how do you know that? Allen chose to go to the deep route, that doesn't mean there weren't other routes that would have got the first down. It looked like Shady was running a route coming across the field.

Shady looked like he was going through the motions.  I did not see any other option on that side of the field.  I think the back-shoulder pass was the call all along.

2 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Also, you should be passing nearly every play

Yep and be consistent  One minute we run a qb sneak on 3rd and 5 the next we throw  a deep end zone shot on 4th and 3  Can't make heads or tails of what they think they are doing.  Also if your kicker is hurt go get one.  Instead of running pass on every down and use checkdowns as your run game  McCoy can still do that

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Honestly some of you must be watching a different game. The ball was thrown behind and inside. 

I don't get it either, it was a bad throw. Does a receiver like Julio adjust and make that catch? Perhaps. Still doesn't make it a good throw. And Foster is not Julio so why would you expect him to make that catch. It was a bad throw and a bad decision to go to Foster there.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

I completely disagree.

The Chiefs would be undefeated with a defense like ours. 

We have to remember that this is the new NFL, teams with decent offenses are going to score points.

The defense keeping this to 14-0 is pretty good, IMO.

Or the Ravens defense...they are just stifling...held Chargers to under 200 yards of offense...

• Sad 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

I'll take receivers that consistently catch easy passes, then we can work on tough catches.

I don't think that particular pass was easy. But yeah I totally agree. Been harping on the WR corp since last year. Needs to be better and Foster's not a #1. Probably why he shouldn't be targeted for tough grabs on 4th downs against top corners is all I'm saying.

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

I don't get it either, it was a bad throw. Does a receiver like Julio adjust and make that catch? Perhaps. Still doesn't make it a good throw. And Foster is not Julio so why would you expect him to make that catch. It was a bad throw and a bad decision to go to Foster there.

It can be a bad throw and still be catchable. If you're in the NFL and you get your hands on the ball, you should catch it. 

Bad decision and playcall for sure. 

6 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

You are right.  Everything is according to plan.  And this garbage is completely acceptable.  Come on man. 

You started fine.....then went downhill. I accept what we are now, and did NOT call it acceptable. But it is big picture progress if Allen can make these throws and plays. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Gee who knew if we hadn’t of signed two steroid babies in Star or Murphy we might have used that room to find capable offensive linemen.  If this is the evaluation that McDermott brings hard pass for next season on giving him any leeway with wanting any “proces” players.  

Just now, whatdrought said:

It can be a bad throw and still be catchable. If you're in the NFL and you get your hands on the ball, you should catch it. 

Bad throw and he adjusted to get one hand on the ball.   Bad point here.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Allens having an awful game. And McDermott is getting his ass handed to him by BB once again. 

Din’t let anyone off the hook who makes the ridiculous claim that foster should catch a pass when he’s looking directly into the sun. That criticism irritates me to no end because it is so wrong.

Just now, mannc said:

Shady looked like he was going through the motions.  I did not see any other option on that side of the field.  I think the back-shoulder pass was the call all along.

There were routes on the other side of the field, the camera just didn't show you. It may have been his #1 read, that doesn't mean he should go there. Gilmore had him blanketed and if it was back-shoulder it was still a bad throw, low and inside, that's not where you go for back-shoulder.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I feel like a lotta people here haven’t watched any baseball games where outfielders lose the ball in the sun. You literally can’t see at all, and when it happens, the catch never happens. Has anyone wver played outfield? Foster was looking right into the sun on that play. It was a great throw but still a no-chance play.

It was also the typical "no attention to detail" play that most characterizes the Bills from the Patriots as organizations.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Or the Ravens defense...they are just stifling...held Chargers to under 200 yards of offense...

Harbaugh’s knows how to Coach both offensively and defensively and motivate his players.  It showed in week one during the blowout.  McDermott was never prepared to be a head coach.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I feel like a lotta people here haven’t watched any baseball games where outfielders lose the ball in the sun. You literally can’t see at all, and when it happens, the catch never happens. Has anyone wver played outfield? Foster was looking right into the sun on that play. It was a great throw but still a no-chance play.

I agree and don't blame Foster for not making that catch.  But that doesn't change the fact that it was a beautifully thrown deep pass and should have gone for an 80 yard TD.  My point is that anyone saying Allen is playing poorly is ignoring that pass which if completed would have changed this game.

Now to be clear Allen is not playing well but he's not playing bad either.  There just are not enough weapons on this offense to take advantage of what the Pats are conceding on defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah, my problem with it was the play call. Still, the Bills could be down by only one score, if they had a trustworthy kicker.