Aaron Maybin After Football - "Walking the Walk"

26CornerBlitz

Great CBS spot - nice to see the positives from football - even on guys that did not live up to his potential.

He is now doing something meaningful for many others.

He is a better fit in the real world than he ever was on the field.

? ???

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

i saw it and officially take back everything i ever said about him.  great story.

He's a good guy moving on making a difference happy in his own shoes with no unreasonable expectations heaped on him. Was all I was trying to express to the Peterman hangups.. he's a young man that has all the world ahead of him. Played some professional ball now the onus is on him to make an impact on life after football. Or get incredibly better and stay in football lol.

• Like (+1) 3

Important lesson: judging anyone by a single measure (e.g. "worst bust in NFL history!") is shallow and stupid.  People are far more complex, and have far more to give, than just one thing.

Except that ***** cheating bastard, Tom Brady.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 3

Definitely a *different* guy.

Loved the part where he says  "when you are genuinely trying......they know it".

Because he wasn't trying in the NFL and it took a while for people to wrap their heads around it because of the way he did it..........but in time the Bills and Jets knew it.

I've never seen fake hustle to the degree he took it..........he embellished every routine stalemate block to appear as if he was being hit over the head with a steel chair in a WWF match...........showing no respect for the intelligence of others.

All time favorite was that game against the Steelers in Buffalo where he flails around and gets pancaked and lays on the ground with no one around him for 3 seconds waiting for a whistle before he realizes Ben broke contain then gets up to chase him.

The NFL is a tough, exploitive biz and most of the players get chewed up and spit out in exchange for their moments of glory..............but it's disrespectful to those that are trying to fake the effort.

Also like humility he shows wearing an Aaron Maybin jacket to school.    AAM...... too funny.

The humble, self-serving civil servant.:beer:

Glad some kids are benefitting from the comfortable life he's carved out in his nice neighborhood NEAR a bad neighborhood.

IMO he's still trying to wear a Big Hat without tending any actual cattle.............but at least it's not at anyone's EXPENSE this time.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Glad to see he went on to do  something more important than football. Good on him ?

not totally, he wasn't remotely up to playing in the NFL

doesn't make him a bad person, that's on the team rating and drafting him so highly

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Hats off to Maybin finding his niche which is helping make a positive impact to those young ones—a winner at life even without finding success on the gridiron

I would say making the top 1% of his profession and making millions of dollars would qualify as success. But it’s a great story and he will be a great role model for young people.  I wish him a ton of success.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They should have drafted Orakpo like many of us wanted them to. 

No doubt.  I was angry with the pick.  Also felt a little bit of disdain for maybin himself for not panning out like a high draft pick, and making all that money and not appearing like his heart was into it.

I remember an article about him and his artwork a year or so ago that impressed me a bit.  Once i got a more complete image of the person instead of the "high stock" football player's performance it changed my feelings.  

Watching this feature was uplifting.  Its great he is there to be such a positive role model for those kids. 

I would cheer for him if he led the charge at the game sunday.  Maybin's done good

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Good for him.  I have nothing against the guy for not helping the bills.  Glad to hear he has found great purpose.

I totally agree, thank you Aaron for doing what you are doing; more to life than football!

Just now, May Day 10 said:

No doubt.  I was angry with the pick.  Also felt a little bit of disdain for maybin himself for not panning out like a high draft pick, and making all that money and not appearing like his heart was into it.

I remember an article about him and his artwork a year or so ago that impressed me a bit.  Once i got a more complete image of the person instead of the "high stock" football player's performance it changed my feelings.  

Watching this feature was uplifting.  Its great he is there to be such a positive role model for those kids. 

I would cheer for him if he led the charge at the game sunday.  Maybin's done good

Great post, thanks!

Just now, May Day 10 said:

Not a good football player, but definitely a good man which is a heckuva lot more important. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Definitely a *different* guy.

Loved the part where he says  "when you are genuinely trying......they know it".

Because he wasn't trying in the NFL and it took a while for people to wrap their heads around it because of the way he did it..........but in time the Bills and Jets knew it.

I've never seen fake hustle to the degree he took it..........he embellished every routine stalemate block to appear as if he was being hit over the head with a steel chair in a WWF match...........showing no respect for the intelligence of others.

All time favorite was that game against the Steelers in Buffalo where he flails around and gets pancaked and lays on the ground with no one around him for 3 seconds waiting for a whistle before he realizes Ben broke contain then gets up to chase him.

The NFL is a tough, exploitive biz and most of the players get chewed up and spit out in exchange for their moments of glory..............but it's disrespectful to those that are trying to fake the effort.

Also like humility he shows wearing an Aaron Maybin jacket to school.    AAM...... too funny.

The humble, self-serving civil servant.:beer:

Glad some kids are benefitting from the comfortable life he's carved out in his nice neighborhood NEAR a bad neighborhood.

IMO he's still trying to wear a Big Hat without tending any actual cattle.............but at least it's not at anyone's EXPENSE this time.

I live in North Baltimore County, and I wouldn't even drive my car past that school, let alone go inside and help the kids... so hat's off to him for that. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

I live in North Baltimore County, and I wouldn't even drive my car past that school, let alone go inside and help the kids... so hat's off to him for that. :thumbsup:

Yep that's the story...........he used the street cred of his first round status to bring together rival gangs and allow a repairman to safely come into the neighborhood and service and change the filter on the school's boiler.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would say making the top 1% of his profession and making millions of dollars would qualify as success. But it’s a great story and he will be a great role model for young people.  I wish him a ton of success.

Though I thought it was implied, I should have clarified that I meant relatively speaking for what the Bills were hoping for from him. To your point, even NP made the top 1% and I’m sure has broken a million as well in total earnings☺️, but no one here would call him a success on the gridiron either, lol 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Always wondered who and what made them think he was going to be good. He was so small with only one year of production. Wanted Clay Matthews.

Exactly. I thought he looked like a big safety and couldn’t believe when local sports guys were saying he could be the pick. Wanted to vomit when the selection was read. Was thinking Orakpo, Matthews or possibly Michael Oher at that spot. Just a terrible pick 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Always wondered who and what made them think he was going to be good. He was so small with only one year of production. Wanted Clay Matthews.

Size wasn't an issue..........he just had no dog in him.

The Bills were initially questioned for drafting a lighter pass rusher...........but they actually weren't behind the curve in drafting that type of athlete.....................they just GREATLY misunderstood his desire to excel at the game.

Physically he was almost identical to Cameron Wake............but of course things fell into place for Maybin and he had a big sophomore stat year.........Cam Wake went to Penn State too but didn't have a big sack year before his draft and quickly found himself cut in his first NFL camp and jobless and had to make a decision to financially sink or swim in the CFL........and in that time he has said that's when he got tough and determined.

Maybin got paid up front.    Maybe Maybin would have found his motivation if he was wondering how we was going to pay rent or support his loved ones like Wake had to.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ

22 hours ago, row_33 said:

did they not bother interviewing kids back then?

should have figured out in about 30 seconds he wasn't into it for a living

He's manipulative by nature..........he knew how to tell people what they wanted to hear to get what he wanted............even when he was making now real effort on the field he was drumming up hype to draw attention to himself.......nicknaming himself "Mayhem"..........dude loves him some him.    Every time you see him post football the interview always has him surrounded by his paintings or wearing clothes with his name on them etc.........he's an amusing and interesting character that's for sure.?

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

The low point of the Bills 10+ year run of draft day failures.  

Mayhem

Wood

Byrd

Levitre

Meh..........the other three had a bunch of pro bowl and all pro seasons.

It was a good example of why you don't use your early round picks on guards and safeties though............draft early at money positions because when guards and safeties pan out it's hard to justify paying them when they reach FA.    Teams that home grew their own QB, pass rushers,  CB's,  WR and LT are usually there with extra cap space in hand to poach that guard or safety. 

I’m proud of Maybin and ashamed of myself. There is much more to life than football and Maybin exemplifies that. Witnessing his accomplishments post football has revealed to me my shallowness. The guy is doing something very positive in his life and his community. My hat is off to him.