Sean McDermott: "Culture Trumps Strategy" ?​​​​​​​

10 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

The Pats are known to have one of the worst cultures in the league. They win because of the talent they have.

Would you all say the teams with the best culture are?

GB

NO

Philly

NE

Pitt

Yes and the way to have a good culture is you need a great QB. Simple but hard to attain.

23 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I think folks are simply misinterpreting his intentions. IMHO, to say that culture "trumps" strategy simply means all things being equal, a culture of a team-first mentality will be far more important in the long-term view of winning. In other words, strategy IS important and it needs it's due attention and talent acquisition is of course part of the strategy, BUT if you have a divisive culture or more individually focused approach, then the strategy won't be nearly as effective. 

Take one of Webster's definitions of "trumps": a decisive overriding factor or final resource https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trumps?src=search-dict-hed

If you take the above definition, it essentially says that when all else is decided, this final factor or "resource" will win the day or decide the outcome. IF you look at his quote in this context, then to me, he's absolutely right. And before we start arguing about what he meant, just consider the entirety of the quote that went on to insinuate that guys who don't buy in to the team first mentality, hurt the entire team as a whole and that mindset will lose games over time. 

Time will tell if McD is the right guy, but after making the playoffs (however they did it, they did it), and starting a Rookie with virtually no WRs to speak of, an aging RB, and a hodgepodge Offensive line, I'll give them through next year when the "culture" has been established, money spent and Draft picks for three years have been assigned. FWIW, it appears that they're doing a fairly good job of locating Drafted talent with Zay not yet showing his value and Allen still needing a lot more to prove. 

Zay isn't good and Allen still needs time, so where do you get "a fairly good job" from? You basically disprove your own point. 

55 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

At least post the whole quote

My initial reaction to this (the whole quote) was "Oh no, Oh no."
Maybe there's yet more context to it, in terms of the question he was asked

I suppose the details of what he means by "culture" and by "strategy" matter.

Gentle readers:

What do those two words mean to you?

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Watching Bar Rescue.  Too bad there's no "Jon Taffer of NFL football" to go in and scream some sense into the management at OBD.  Giving the ball to McCoy only 5 times a game proves that McD believes the **** he's shoveling.  Culture trumps strategy.  What a crock.

See, the thing is, I don't know if that's what he means by strategy.

He might refer to how many times we run vs pass or how many touches McCoy gets as "tactics"

https://fs.blog/2018/08/strategy-vs-tactics/

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You're using a team that is notorious for preparing and scheming for everything.  Their culture comes from this preparation and their strategy. It's a bad analogy. 

Preparation is obviously part of it, but as other posters have pointed out already, getting the right players in place is another large factor. The team needs driven, self-motivated guys, that love the game of football. It is difficult to integrate a talented yet lazy player into a team full of hard working team first players. At some point, things could fall apart if that player becomes a problem in the locker room with coaches or teammates. I think this philosophy is clear in the moves that McBean have made so far.

A team with a strong culture becomes greater than the sum of its parts. A talented team with questionable culture can fall short. 

We are building the cultural foundation with many key pieces seemingly already in place. Next step is to infuse more talent. 

14 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

They win because they have Tom Brady. It starts and ends with him. Once Tom Brady retires they will stop winning. The pats by many ex players go there to win because they know they can.

Talent is the most important thing on the planet. Nate Peterman busts his ass everyday im sure, but he is awful. What he is saying is Having guys like Nate Paterman is the most important. 

Well except when he is out and the backups fill in and they still win......

• Like (+1) 1

Culture and strategy feed off each other. One can create the other. Although, it is arguably more difficult for a strategy to create a powerful culture, than vice versa. 

But, yeah let's fawn over what the insignificants have to say on the twitter, ugh. 

Edited by Paulus
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Disagree about the Pat's and culture, the have 'the patriot way', if you dont come in and confirm to it, they discard you. It's why alot of players that have been issues with other teams in the past are able to come.in and not be an issue there.

He even said, they arent talking choir boys, this isn't  them looking for players who would leave the game to help an old lady across the street. The 'culture' they want is team players who care more about their team and winning then individual stats, and live for the game, not guys who live for the paycheck.....

And you see teams that are built that way succeed a lot of the time.  

Strategy will only get you so far - at the end of the day its players executing that strategy, and trust in one another to do their jobs.  

Just now, Paulus said:

Culture and strategy feed off each other. One can create the other. Although, it is arguably more difficult for a strategy to create a powerful culture, than vice versa. 

See, this is kind of where I am.  Culture is important - do people want to be there?  Do they consistently put in their best effort to prepare, execute, evaluate, and improve?  Are they team first, and not memememe?

But I think it's hard - maybe impossible - to build a great culture if you don't have a sound strategy and have people believe in that strategy.

I think a lot of people in this thread are confusing strategy and tactics, which with I sympathize because it's always been a point I get mixed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He can say what he wants. 

But he's kidding himself if he doesn't think he needs talent as opposed to a bunch of below average NFL players who try really hard and love the game to win consistently. 

Because they traded Sammy who clearly doesn't try as hard as Benjamin.?

I don’t think he said he doesn’t need talent at any point in time Scott. To even imply that is strange. This off-season is hopefully when they go looking for this talent. We’ll see. 

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

So they still win 5 Superbowls and are the winning-est franchise in the last 17 years without Brady, right?

I didnt say that, but to say it is only because of Brady isnt true, we have seen other QBs step in for Brady and still win, but we haven't seen them win without BB.

Guys like Moss, and TO have tons of talent, but how many championships? Kelly and Marino have how many SBs between them?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

See, this is kind of where I am.  Culture is important - do people want to be there?  Do they consistently put in their best effort to prepare, execute, evaluate, and improve?  Are they team first, and not memememe?

But I think it's hard - maybe impossible - to build a great culture if you don't have a sound strategy and have people believe in that strategy.

I think a lot of people in this thread are confusing strategy and tactics, which with I sympathize because it's always been a point I get mixed.

If McDermott and Beane are trying to build the culture - which I am totally down with - they need to do a better job at identifying players who fit the culture.

Off the top of my head, Vontae Davis and Kelvin Benjamin, have been big whiffs.  One quit and the other clearly seems to be lacking effort.

Also, I think finding "team first" guys is becoming more and more difficult as players (in the NFL, in general) have finally come to the realization that the teams don't give two ***** about them.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

Preparation is obviously part of it, but as other posters have pointed out already, getting the right players in place is another large factor. The team needs driven, self-motivated guys, that love the game of football. It is difficult to integrate a talented yet lazy player into a team full of hard working team first players. At some point, things could fall apart if that player becomes a problem in the locker room with coaches or teammates. I think this philosophy is clear in the moves that McBean have made so far.

A team with a strong culture becomes greater than the sum of its parts. A talented team with questionable culture can fall short. 

We are building the cultural foundation with many key pieces seemingly already in place. Next step is to infuse more talent. 

what are the many key pieces.....there is no core of star players to build around...there is going to be a large roster turnover again next season...many of the vets that are team leaders (Williams, Alexander....) will be gone...

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My initial reaction to this (the whole quote) was "Oh no, Oh no."
Maybe there's yet more context to it, in terms of the question he was asked

I suppose the details of what he means by "culture" and by "strategy" matter.

Gentle readers:

What do those two words mean to you?

I’ll play:

Culture I think refers to the character of the players - why is the guy playing? Does he really “love” football or does he see it as a regular job? The character of the player can also refer to his level of effort. Does he practice hard? Does he take plays off? Culture could also refer players’ societal values; I am not going to get into examples of those because I don’t want to sidetrack this.

Strategy to me refers to the nuts and bolts of football. It’s the aspect of the game that is most on the coaches; which is why I think it’s a bit of a copout for Sean to de-emphasize this. Play design, play-calling, clock management, talent utilization, in-game adjustments, etc. That’s what it means to me at least.

8 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

The only way to change the culture is by WINNING!

Chicken and egg thing. What is undeniable is that better talent would make both culture, strategy and winning a lot easier. What we will end up is a boat load of capn space and a terrible roster to show for it.

1 minute ago, teef said:

I don’t think he said he doesn’t need talent at any point in time Scott. To even imply that is strange. This off-season is hopefully when they go looking for this talent. We’ll see. 

Yeah, no one said you dont need talent or strategy, just that he feels culture is more important when building a team then just talent for strategy. They know they need talent, but if they are evaluating between players, they look at they type of person/player they are as much as their talent

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

Chicken and egg thing. What is undeniable is that better talent would make both culture, strategy and winning a lot easier. What we will end up is a boat load of capn space and a terrible roster to show for it.

If Aaron Rodgers shows up tomorrow this team starts winning. Nothing changed but the talent level of the QB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I’ll play:

Culture I think refers to the character of the players - why is the guy playing? Does he really “love” football or does he see it as a regular job? The character of the player can also refer to his level of effort. Does he practice hard? Does he take plays off? Culture could also refer players’ societal values; I am not going to get into examples of those because I don’t want to sidetrack this.

Strategy to me refers to the nuts and bolts of football. It’s the aspect of the game that is most on the coaches; which is why I think it’s a bit of a copout for Sean to de-emphasize this. Play design, play-calling, clock management, talent utilization, in-game adjustments, etc. That’s what it means to me at least.

This is pretty good. I think culture goes beyond individuals as well. If a team has that hard working, never give up attitude, this can rub off on the players and up their game. It certainly wouldn’t for everyone, but we’ve seen players go to various teams and turn their careers around due to being a part of a winning culture. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is my problem with McDermott. There's literally no sane person alive who thinks an organization doesn't need a modicum of culture/structure, whatever word you want to use. Every single team in the league is trying to create a positive, winning environment.

Since day one, it has appeared as though the strategy WAS culture itself. It just doesn't work that way. The culture will improve when you start winning, not the other way around.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

See, the thing is, I don't know if that's what he means by strategy.

He might refer to how many times we run vs pass or how many touches McCoy gets as "tactics"

https://fs.blog/2018/08/strategy-vs-tactics/

Whether it's stategery or tacticity, McD is showing that he's not good at either of them.  I know, but...but....but.....playoffs.  It buys him more time than DickyJ, Chan, or Rex, but I'm not sold that he's a better game-day coach than any of them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

He implied it.

He's said the running game will improve if the Bills attitude changes. 

And I have no idea why he keeps saying this team is young. They aren't. 

Jesus Scott, he didn’t say or imply that at all. I think all coaches know that if your line and backs aren’t up to snuff, the running game suffers. Culture can’t change that, nor was it ever implied.