Why does Allen always try to spin to his blindside?

BigDingus

Why does Allen always go straight to spinning to his blindside when under pressure?

Even when it seems easier to just step up, or throw the ball away, or take off running in another direction... he seems to default to spinning into his blindside and immediately into the hands of an unseen edge rusher every time. 

Is that just how he's being taught? I don't know why that would be, but maybe there's something to it im missing. 

Along with having a better internal clock, throwing the ball away more often, recognizing blitzes better, and improving the O-line, I feel not defaulting to that spin every time will help negate a ton of negative plays, and keep us in manageable 3rd down situations. 

Worked for Romo for years. I love the move when executed properly, just gonna take some time to master. 

On a side note can we start a kickstarter for Romo to mentor Allen? I think he really needs some vet guidance. Dak was great when he had Romo in his ear. 

• Like (+1) 1

Because he has terrible pocket presence.  It was one of his biggest weaknesses in college.  He routinely runs when there is no pressure, and bails unnecessarily.  

Add in that he can't read defenses fast enough and it results in him trying to run when he shouldn't have to.  

Right now he's like a more athletic EJ

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Probably because he’s done it successfully dozens of times in high school and college so he is used to doing it. He will eventually learn it won’t work in the NFL. This was start 3 for him. I’d imagine he will improve and learn over the next few years. If not, he won’t be here along with McBeane so we will have some other qb to criticize. 

• Like (+1) 1

I swear, they should have an entire course in pocket presence and awareness.  He has to really improve in that area.  He’s way faster than most NFL QBs and should not be getting sacked this much.  It’s called step up, and/or quick release. Or throw it away

16 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Why does Allen always go straight to spinning to his blindside when under pressure?

Even when it seems easier to just step up, or throw the ball away, or take off running in another direction... he seems to default to spinning into his blindside and immediately into the hands of an unseen edge rusher every time. 

Is that just how he's being taught? I don't know why that would be, but maybe there's something to it im missing. 

Along with having a better internal clock, throwing the ball away more often, recognizing blitzes better, and improving the O-line, I feel not defaulting to that spin every time will help negate a ton of negative plays, and keep us in manageable 3rd down situations. 

Because he might suck.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

EJ spin move. Learned from the master.

Its eerily similar to EJ's. Plus we saw today Josh has no internal clock. Yes a lot of sacks were on the OL but many weren't. Obviously this kid has a ton to learn and won't have the luxury Aaron had learning behind Favre for years....

Allen is still learning the intracasies and nuances of the QB position that's the risk the bills assumed drafting him ..highest ceiling but an unfinished product . He still doesn't know when to use zip and touch and step up etc ..hopefully it's something hell learn . 

35 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I agree.  He had chances to slide right or left but failed to do so.

All QBs do that, he’s just getting pressured more then most so you see it every other play. I seen a video on it once, QBs are taught to spin when forced out of the pocket on their blindside to keep the ball away from any rushers coming from backside

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

That's it? 

He was bad all game. Doesn't mean he wont be a good QB but he was awful in just about every aspect of QB play.

Sorry, you didn't specify how many examples you wanted. Allen needs work, we all knew this. Today was a bad day. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills Oline cannot pick up a blitz. Clay and McCoy are terrible blockers in pass protection. Allen will either take too long to make a decision or he is quick to panic. The lack of talent at WR is obvious. Nobody was getting separation. On the play that Benjamin got hurt he waived at the ball, he had no desire to catch it because he knew he was going to get hit. 

Allen is the best QB on the Bills roster.  So he should be the starter.  This season is not going be a playoff year for the Bills, Allen might as well get as much experience as possible.  He doesn't seem like an unconfident kitty that we have to worry about "losing his confidence" or "looking over his shoulder" or any of the other nonsense people worry about.  He will either get it down, or he will be gone soon enough.  I think he will get it down. 

lets see..he ran backwards and got sacked..ran in circles and got sacked..spun to his blind side and got sacked.  ran the to the right side and got sacked...and last but not least..stepped up into the pocket and got sacked...  Not sure how much it really matters at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bills11 said:

Allen is still learning the intracasies and nuances of the QB position that's the risk the bills assumed drafting him ..highest ceiling but an unfinished product . He still doesn't know when to use zip and touch and step up etc ..hopefully it's something hell learn . 

That's something most QBs would learn in highschool.....

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, peterpan said:

That's something most QBs would learn in highschool.....

That's true for sure and he should have at least learned more about it at Wyoming but what it is..Allen is our QB and he's a project so this fanbase is gonna have to be patient which is why we should have had a vet qb so he could sit and learn . He'll have his ups and downs while learning to play the position properly I just hope the nuances is something he can learn when he has time and clean feet he can be accurate.  

Allen can see his front side, so he knows it's terrible. He figures, at least if he spins to his blindside, he isn't absolutely certain it's terrible over there as well on that particular play. 

Edited by dayman
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, peterpan said:

Because he has terrible pocket presence.  It was one of his biggest weaknesses in college.  He routinely runs when there is no pressure, and bails unnecessarily.  

Add in that he can't read defenses fast enough and it results in him trying to run when he shouldn't have to.  

Right now he's like a more athletic EJ

And it's actually only going to get worse once he clocks more and more game time.

Opposing DCs will have more and more film to use as fuel for shutting him down.

In many ways Allen reminds me of Colin Kaepernick.  A big, really talented guy who can run well, but with limited ability to play QB.  It got to the point where the league got the blueprint on how to shut down Kaepernick and that's what they did.  Kaep didn't have the talent to overcome that.

Allen is at risk of going a similar path IMO...though I concede that has yet to happen and maybe it will not.

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Allen is the best QB on the Bills roster.  So he should be the starter.  This season is not going be a playoff year for the Bills, Allen might as well get as much experience as possible.  He doesn't seem like an unconfident kitty that we have to worry about "losing his confidence" or "looking over his shoulder" or any of the other nonsense people worry about.  He will either get it down, or he will be gone soon enough.  I think he will get it down. 

This is true, but you know what is really scary?

McDermott and company didn't recognize that fact themselves.  Instead, they chose to start Peterman, on the premise that he gave the team the best chance to succeed.

That's some hard core error in judgment right there.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Get this boy some WRs.  

This would not change much.  He does not see things on time right now.  

25 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

And it's actually only going to get worse once he clocks more and more game time.

Opposing DCs will have more and more film to use as fuel for shutting him down.

In many ways Allen reminds me of Colin Kaepernick.  A big, really talented guy who can run well, but with limited ability to play QB.  It got to the point where the league got the blueprint on how to shut down Kaepernick and that's what they did.  Kaep didn't have the talent to overcome that.

Allen is at risk of going a similar path IMO...though I concede that has yet to happen and maybe it will not.

This is true, but you know what is really scary?

McDermott and company didn't recognize that fact themselves.  Instead, they chose to start Peterman, on the premise that he gave the team the best chance to succeed.

That's some hard core error in judgment right there.

And trade mccaron.  And give Allen very few reps with the ones all summer.  

21 minutes ago, Matty the Dustmop said:

Give the kid a break hes still learning...funny how all the comments change by the game....Love all the so called experts and Monday morning QBs in these forums. 

I didnt see too many, ‘give the kid a break hes still learning’ statements for Peterman. But they're all the rage now. I guess patience for a young QB only applies to first round QBs.

Both QBs are young and are nowhere near ready to start yet thats where this Bills’ roster sits at the moment. Allen should be sitting this year but the Bills’ front office outsmarted themselves and now we have a young QB that is learning how to get the pocket jitters.

The Bills are following the blueprints for how to ruin a developmental QB.

2 minutes ago, MDH said:

I didnt see too many, ‘give the kid a break hes still learning’ statements for Peterman. But they're all the rage now. I guess patience for a young QB only applies to first round QBs.

Both QBs are young and are nowhere near ready to start yet thats where this Bills’ roster sits at the moment. Allen should be sitting this year but the Bills’ front office outsmarted themselves and now we have a young QB that is learning how to get the pocket jitters.

The Bills are following the blueprints for how to ruin a developmental QB.

I myself never bashed Peterman thought he had potential and still do he was tossed in the fire early also, but he wasnt gonna learn anything from TT. Pretty sure the Peterman bashers will be all over this one.The Bills overacheived last season IMO and the some of the Monday morning qbs missed that one..New regime and theres a learning curve , as the old saying go s Rome wasnt built in a day probably going to take till atleast 2020 to see results.

55 minutes ago, mattynh said:

This would not change much.  He does not see things on time right now.  

And trade mccaron.  And give Allen very few reps with the ones all summer.  

Macaroon is another Bama bum.  As useful as breasts on a bull.

• Haha (+1) 1